Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Vick wouldn't have gone into the hall even without the dogfighting thing because he was never actually that good as an NFL quarterback. He was overrated before he was controversial because of SportsCenter highlights and 99 SPEED IN MADDEN or whatever, and now is overrated from nostalgia for the vague memory of those things.

I think if he'd hooked up with Andy Reid off the bat he would have had a chance.

His first few head coaches were Dan Reeves for part of a year, Wade Phillips (bless him but he isn't going to develop a quarterback) and Jim freaking Mora. That's a recipe to ruin a talented quarterback before we get into the legal stuff.

e: Kubiak's an interesting thought, easy system to play and based heavily on rolling out. He'd have a very fast man rolling out in theory.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I don't think Rams and Chargers fans know the other exists.

/what fans joke.txt

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What if vick got to throw to people better than alge Crumpler

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doltos posted:

inferiority complex

Yes there is some of this but thats only because I'm old and remember when the Giants were an actual good franchise in the 80s even though the NY Media and their fans still act like it's the 80s.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Metapod posted:

What if vick got to throw to people better than alge Crumpler

He threw in 2010 but then fell off a cliff in 2011 as part of that Dream Team.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Some rivalries are also one way for teams that share a media market, where usually the smaller fan base/city is super bitter about the larger one, which is mostly indifferent or even positive about the smaller team. Also thought this was the chat thread.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 6, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Vick definitely didn't have any coaches with any idea what to do with a small QB with warp speed running and a big arm but was very meh in the pocket.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Vick definitely didn't have any coaches with any idea what to do with a small QB with warp speed running and a big arm but was very meh in the pocket.

Yeah but Vick gave us this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yke08SybJzU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

Yes there is some of this but thats only because I'm old and remember when the Giants were an actual good franchise in the 80s even though the NY Media and their fans still act like it's the 80s.

They won two super bowls since 2000, one within the last decade

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

Vick wouldn't have gone into the hall even without the dogfighting thing because he was never actually that good as an NFL quarterback. He was overrated before he was controversial because of SportsCenter highlights and 99 SPEED IN MADDEN or whatever, and now is overrated from nostalgia for the vague memory of those things.

Well, that's what I was getting at with my first post. Vick's career wasn't a Hall of Fame career but he still had an enormous, outsized impact on the NFL. Are there any other non-HoF players like that?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He threw in 2010 but then fell off a cliff in 2011 as part of that Dream Team.

Players who rely on being the best athlete tend to fall off once over 30 yes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well, that's what I was getting at with my first post. Vick's career wasn't a Hall of Fame career but he still had an enormous, outsized impact on the NFL. Are there any other non-HoF players like that?

Feels like a cop out but... Randall Cunningham was kinda Vick before Vick?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Dan Reeves did very well with him, but Vick broke his leg in 2003 and that gave the owner all the room they needed to get the hot new head coach to install the worst possible offense for him.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

MIke Vick was never that good. Y'all think he was awesome because of his dumb Madden rating.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

half cocaine posted:

MIke Vick was never that good. Y'all think he was awesome because of his dumb Madden rating.

I can promise you his Madden rating is not something that I ever even knew or thought about.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

half cocaine posted:

Vick was fun to watch.

This does not have to coincide with him being good or bad

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Vick was very good

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jon Bois is on ESPN describing what scorigami is for some reason.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This ONLY, EVER, IN NO WAY FOR ANY OTHER REASON happened because of his Madden rating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oag8iBB7HE

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

If you're going to hype these poo poo-rear end stats at least give Randall Cunningham some respect. Or I dunno Chris Chandler.

edit: I can't believe he never threw more than 3000 yards during his madden hype years.

half cocaine fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 6, 2021

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He also was running for 700 yards a season and it was mostly before the Peyton rules happened

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SKULL.GIF posted:

This ONLY, EVER, IN NO WAY FOR ANY OTHER REASON happened because of his Madden rating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oag8iBB7HE

I would go on that ride

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

half cocaine posted:

If you're going to hype these poo poo-rear end stats at least give Randall Cunningham some respect. Or I dunno Chris Chandler.

a neat cape posted:

Vick was fun to watch.

This does not have to coincide with him being good or bad

We also have eyes and imaginations and we're just talking what ifs here. He's nowhere near a hall of famer based on his career, but that release on his throw along with everything else had he learned how to actually play QB earlier--which he's admitted he never bothered with until he got to Philly--is scary.

As an aside I don't think most of this forum will ever disrespect QB Eagles. Who was also incredibly screwed over by coaching early on.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Jesus Christ I can't be the only one old enough to remember watching Randall Cunningham play. Vick ain't got poo poo. That Eagles oline was loving garbage

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

who cares about 90s rear end randall cunningham

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

half cocaine posted:

Jesus Christ I can't be the only one old enough to remember watching Randall Cunningham play. Vick ain't got poo poo. That Eagles oline was loving garbage
I'm just old enough to remember Old Man Cunningham throwing bombs in Minnesota.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

who cares about 90s rear end randall cunningham

:lol: don't immediately try to prove me wrong.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

half cocaine posted:

edit: I can't believe he never threw more than 3000 yards during his madden hype years.

Quote me where I brought up Vick's stats in a positive manner

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

:lol: don't immediately try to prove me wrong.

to be fair I'd say who cares about 90s rear end <any player>

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean it's kind of obvious Vick was never a great passer considering everyone hated on him his entire career for missing wide open WRs. But to pull up his passing stats as the reason he was bad kinda shows your rear end when discussing how good Vick was. Only like Young, Newton, Cunningham, and Wilson come close to him and who knows how long Lamar will last rushing the way he is right now. Vick was a transcendent talent.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Cool I can't wait for the Derrick Henry is better than Barry Sanders debates :rolleyes:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

no one has ever or will ever say that except metapod

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There are plenty of hbs better than henry at the first level but there are no hbs better than henry once he reaches the second level

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

half cocaine posted:

Cool I can't wait for the Derrick Henry is better than Barry Sanders debates :rolleyes:

He is. Your heroes of the past played against unathletic cornboys that got into the NFL by running meat first into each other with no skill. They were slower, weaker, and less agile than present day 4th round picks. Players of today have access to way more training, nutrition, and advocacy for full time dedication to football. Their skill can only translate so much if they're physically worse than every D1 athlete now.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Chris Johnson

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1434731810458673155?s=21

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

half cocaine posted:

Chris Johnson

Better first step accelerates faster shiftier makes him better at the first level but he and Henry's top speed are similar so once they are both at the 2nd level henry is better because he's bigger stronger and way harder to bring down

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So the history of the Falcons ends with that Super Bowl. Nothing remained afterwards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some say you can still hear their ghosts in the abandoned arena where they played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

having a sensible chuckle over the chargers trading away michael vick because spanos didn't want to pay him #1 overall money.

Speaking of trades I just stumbled across this again

quote:

On March 2, 2005, [Randy] Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders for linebacker Napoleon Harris and the Raiders' first (7th overall, which Minnesota parlayed into wide receiver Troy Williamson) and seventh-round picks in the NFL draft.

Whew.