Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

:thunk:

I know this is largely just splitting hairs about what is 'normal' and 'common', but the point is that although enough Australians travel overseas regularly enough for it to be unremarkable, they are outnumbered by the Australians who don't do this, and people who used to travel overseas every year (including myself) should stop wringing their hands over how travel is part of the core Australian national identity or whatever.

Anyway, when the travel discussion came up it was in reference to it being uncommon for most Australians to go overseas in recent memory of 20-40 years ago, which is still true regardless of how many trips people were taking in 2017.

This perspective may help: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-welfare/home-ownership-and-housing-tenure

quote:

Where household tenure was known:

67% (5.4 million households) were home owners:
32% (2.6 million households) without a mortgage
35% (2.9 million households) with a mortgage.

So annual overseas travel is roughly one third as common as home ownership, and still less common than home ownership without mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Kazzah posted:

I don't know which version I'm getting, it doesn't say

Why don't you just book an AZ vaccine for sooner?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm extremely down for the guy criticising konomex for saying the vast majority of australians don't holiday overseas by posting stats saying that 20% of them do lol

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm extremely down for the guy criticising konomex for saying the vast majority of australians don't holiday overseas by posting stats saying that 20% of them do lol

The vast majority do travel. 20% traveled overseas in a given year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

StrangeThing posted:

The vast majority do travel. 20% traveled overseas in a given year.

So post some stats that back up that assertion that the vast majority of Australians holiday overseas.

43% of Australians don't even have a passport.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Solemn Sloth posted:

So post some stats that back up that assertion that the vast majority of Australians holiday overseas.

43% of Australians don't even have a passport.

The vast majority may not travel overseas, but they do at least interstate. We are talking about state and international travel here.

But yeah. The majority of people have travelled offshore.

Travelling internationally is a common thing in Australia. This isn’t a weird thing to say.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't know anyone that hasn't been overseas on a holiday. A lot of it is cheap stuff like Bali and whatever, but it's not like international travel is some 1%er concept alien to the majority of people. For some I'm sure it's a matter of will to go overseas. I'd assume that plenty of people with a stable income and cash to spend on luxuries don't go overseas because they just don't care.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

JBP posted:

I don't know anyone that hasn't been overseas on a holiday. A lot of it is cheap stuff like Bali and whatever, but it's not like international travel is some 1%er concept alien to the majority of people. For some I'm sure it's a matter of will to go overseas. I'd assume that plenty of people with a stable income and cash to spend on luxuries don't go overseas because they just don't care.

Yeah I think New Zealand and Indonesia are the two most common destinations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
they found that little autistic boy who was lost in the bush for 4 days! he's ok!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

StrangeThing posted:

What proof do we have that the majority of the spread is through people breaking the rules, and not through essential workers? Do we have that breakdown available?

I don’t know if the health department provides those details. We do know that compliance is way down, both from direct observation and also from mobility data. We can see there’s a huge number of mystery cases each day too, when people are abiding by the rules I don’t think we’d be getting anywhere near as many. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that a significant percentage of transmission is taking place due to acts of non compliance, even without hearing anecdotes from contact tracers.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

JBP posted:

But still concern about international travel is bond to be overrepresented among journalists, and therefore the “public consciousness”, relative to the population as a whole.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

gay picnic defence posted:

I don’t know if the health department provides those details. We do know that compliance is way down, both from direct observation and also from mobility data. We can see there’s a huge number of mystery cases each day too, when people are abiding by the rules I don’t think we’d be getting anywhere near as many. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that a significant percentage of transmission is taking place due to acts of non compliance, even without hearing anecdotes from contact tracers.

Maybe! I don't think we know enough to say for sure though what the breakdown is.

In any case, there's not much that can be done. I don't really know of any other enforcement measures they could introduce at this point.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

StrangeThing posted:

Maybe! I don't think we know enough to say for sure though what the breakdown is.

In any case, there's not much that can be done. I don't really know of any other enforcement measures they could introduce at this point.

Well they could stop construction for one thing, have a grace period to mothball anything time critical (like maybe concrete pours in progress, that kind of thing) and then shut it down. It’s not a short term essential service, it’s exactly the kind of “how much firefighting do I want to do every day forever” bullshit that I was alluding to before. Closing it down and then opening it back up was an act of defeatism.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

The Artificial Kid posted:

Well they could stop construction for one thing, have a grace period to mothball anything time critical (like maybe concrete pours in progress, that kind of thing) and then shut it down. It’s not a short term essential service, it’s exactly the kind of “how much firefighting do I want to do every day forever” bullshit that I was alluding to before. Closing it down and then opening it back up was an act of defeatism.

Yeah I guess I forgot about construction.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Launchpad McQuack posted:

gently caress this negative poo poo. What is everyone gonna do when they can do stuff again? Come people look forward to some good poo poo and I want to hear it.

If I am alive by the time this all passes that will probably be good. We'll see what happens then.

If delta gets into WA in any significant numbers I am probably hosed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I listed a lot of international stuff but the first moment I can go to a pub and get a big parma and a schooner I will be doing exactly that.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Laserface posted:

the first moment I can go to a pub and get a big parma and a schooner I will be doing exactly that.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
The cinema. I miss it a lot.

And board game nights.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NSW have released their modelling showing a peak of ~2000 cases a day in the next month and uhhhhhh.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-09/Intensive_Care_Capacity.pdf

Unless I'm totally missing something it seems like this modeling assumes daily cases dropping to basically nothing by Christmas, which seems totally impossible at this point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
reverse wage growth chart

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

NSW have released their modelling showing a peak of ~2000 cases a day in the next month and uhhhhhh.

Unless I'm totally missing something it seems like this modeling assumes daily cases dropping to basically nothing by Christmas, which seems totally impossible at this point.

Even if they hit 80% fully vaxxed that’s still 1.6 million or so people unvaccinated. With no or limited restrictions delta is going to rip through those people.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Senor Tron posted:

That 2200 - 3900 number includes non-covid patients.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I mean, over 50% of Australians have a passport. That’s higher than a lot of countries.

You'd hope a lot of Australians have passports when 30% of them were born overseas.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1434716796532117511

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’m all for encouraging conservatives to take a dangerous medication in the erroneous belief it will protect them from a deadly virus.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

StrangeThing posted:

And board game nights.
Boardgamearena.com helps with this. When we were in lockdown, I managed to have a few nights where we would all jump on teams or skype or something and play games.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Feeling bad for anyone thinking international holiday travel is going to be feasible unless you can afford quarantine time/expenses on arrival both ways. There's no "new normal once deltas calms down", there's new variant scares every year or two, forever. Leaving the country is going to incur the risk of being trapped overseas for 6 months at a time when the Aquarius Variant causes a snap lockdown. We ruined society as we know it.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Hashy posted:

Feeling bad for anyone thinking international holiday travel is going to be feasible unless you can afford quarantine time/expenses on arrival both ways. There's no "new normal once deltas calms down", there's new variant scares every year or two, forever. Leaving the country is going to incur the risk of being trapped overseas for 6 months at a time when the Aquarius Variant causes a snap lockdown. We ruined society as we know it.

I mean this in all honesty: please, log off for a bit. This type of catastrophizing doesn't do you good.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Border quarantine is gone in a ton of places worldwide and it's days here are already numbered for the vaccinated

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

perepelki posted:

they found that little autistic boy who was lost in the bush for 4 days! he's ok!

yay!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NPR Journalizard posted:

Boardgamearena.com helps with this. When we were in lockdown, I managed to have a few nights where we would all jump on teams or skype or something and play games.

https://tabletopia.com/ is also good

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The world would probably be a better place, and necessary for climate change, if spoilt bougie dickheads couldn't just fly down to Amsterdam to see a soccer game on a whim because its cheap.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

I mean "dealing with" doesn't necessarily mean investigating.

"Maybe if you weren't nagging him all the time, he wouldn't beat you." certainly falls under the standard police definition of 'dealing with' domestic violence.

So does, "You slapped him after years of brutal beatings? Let's see how a night in the cells sorts you out then."

Police response to domestic violence has improved a lot since I lived through it was a kid. I mean, nowadays they occasionally even acknowledge it exists in fire-and-forget press releases.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

You won't see this on the news
https://mobile.twitter.com/juststeveisfine/status/1434411713009491973

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pleasant Friend posted:

The world would probably be a better place, and necessary for climate change, if spoilt bougie dickheads couldn't just fly down to Amsterdam to see a soccer game on a whim because its cheap.

*In the most insufferable fuckhead voice I can produce with my mouth* friendo, you should log off for your own mental health. This catastrophizing is bad for you

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

There was a media report about this on the weekend. In Sydney, the distro centres are in the spicy LGAs which means a huge amount of their staff are currently in iso. That means they're supplying their NSW stores from other states, leading to unpredictable stock levels.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...002588ba1fccc3b

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lolie posted:

There was a media report about this on the weekend. In Sydney, the distro centres are in the spicy LGAs which means a huge amount of their staff are currently in iso. That means they're supplying their NSW stores from other states, leading to unpredictable stock levels.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...002588ba1fccc3b

wrong buddy its THE TRUCKIES! god bless em :australia:

https://twitter.com/Malkarnivore/status/1434618170438946819

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

My local coles must be supplied by train I guess

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Launchpad McQuack posted:

gently caress this negative poo poo. What is everyone gonna do when they can do stuff again? Come people look forward to some good poo poo and I want to hear it.

I am going to go to Japan.

I got a job over there which I was offered in Sept. of last year. and I have been unable to get my work visa due to government restrictions.

(To be fair these are Japanese Government restrictions. I could easily get an exception to leave Aus. as I would be leaving for work, and would be out of country for more than 3 months.)

So come on everyone, lets all get healthy so I can get back to work learning foreign kids to talk English proper good again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay