Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah if your neighbor is the huns it feels almost mandatory to grab Greeks or Persians for that unique and badass spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
unique unit is worth a lot. mayans are powerful but their archer is so horrible i never want to play as them again

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Certainly is a huge consideration for the first three eras. Never really thought about it past that then since things are so lopsided afterwards I haven't found it being a factor.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been auto-battling all combat until fairly recently and have been very surprised to find out that Amplitude's Creative Director has finally given up on his stubborn insistence that there must be no direct control of the units in individual battles. Who knew!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I noticed it happening versus non Hun melee units as well but I'm guessing it's like the poster previous page said and was a server lag issue.

That game I got wiped out by the Huns they seem incredibly powerful with their archer calvary. I had a 4 stack including a ranged Calvary of my own and 2 spearman (plus a crappy scout) versus 2 Hun horse archers and although I won the battle it was close. Regular spearmen seem to just barely have an advantage against their horse archers but then they can attack you without taking damage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the exact movement rules are a little unclear but it's quite good once you figure out what you are and aren't allowed to do

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fur20 posted:

unique unit is worth a lot. mayans are powerful but their archer is so horrible i never want to play as them again

lol yep, I was Mayans versus Huns and the Hun horse archers wiped the floor with me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Those Mayan javs have really screwy line-of-sight issues, they seem worse than normal archers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Megazver posted:

I've been auto-battling all combat until fairly recently and have been very surprised to find out that Amplitude's Creative Director has finally given up on his stubborn insistence that there must be no direct control of the units in individual battles. Who knew!

Endless Legend had direct control since the start in 2014. This game's combat system is almost entirely ripped from that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Javelins are direct fire for some reason without really having the combat strength or safety against melee to justify it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Endless Legend had direct control since the start in 2014.

No, you assign targets to individual units and then the AI takes over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Huh, I guess I gave it more credit than it deserves. It's been a few years.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

All javelin troops need line of sight to their targets yeah.

It's only the archers, elephant archers, and longbows ignore line of sight iirc.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Line of sight screws over every non indirect fire unit. I think even crossbowmen. Luckily gunners are still good because they can attack without retaliation and have full defense so they can front line no problem.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think the idea is that javelins fly in a low arch while bows fire in a tall one. That's how I interpreted it even if that's not mentioned anywhere, in true Amplitude fashion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crossbows and javelins are only worth it if you can be on a cliff pelting your enemies with impunity. They're just too squishy to use on the battlefield otherwise.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yet another useful system they've inexplicably dropped from Endless Legend. It was fun in that game balancing your army so they could be super tanky but sacrifice initiative, or have a high initiative army that was hosed if it could kill enough stuff early on because you'd gone all in on speedy artefacts and poo poo instead of armour.

I don't agree, equipping and designing units was one of the "one too many" busywork things that put me off Endless Legend, though I like 4X games in general. I'm glad this game doesn't have any of that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't mind the idea of an initiative stat, and units taking their turns in a queue like in XCOM Chimera Squad. But yeah, I'm done with unit designers, give me a limited roster of well-defined units any day.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Facing a Hun horde for the first time was rather traumatic. Why is my army evaporating!?

A thing I've noticed just recently is that the penalties/bonuses for being wounded/on high ground/etc stay the same throughout the game, meaning they are less and less meaningful as the eras go on. I'm not sure I like that idea! Either I'm reading the tooltip wrong, or there's a design decision at work that I don't fully agree with.

Kazzah posted:

I don't mind the idea of an initiative stat, and units taking their turns in a queue like in XCOM Chimera Squad. But yeah, I'm done with unit designers, give me a limited roster of well-defined units any day.

Yep, at first I was disappointed at the lack of a unit designer (or even any XP upgrades beyond +strength) but honestly, I enjoy how clean everything feels.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The relative difference in combat strength is what determines the damage a unit inflicts or receives. A severely wounded musketeer for example, would only be shooting a halberdier for (22-33) instead of the (28-39) which can potentially be a extra round's worth of survival for the halberdier instead of dying in three turns before other battlefield modifiers kick in.

It also means that for militaries about one era behind or facing emblematic units with generics, squatting behind walls or forcing river crossings/high ground assaults can allow you to eventually prevail or inflict disproportionate damage to nominally stronger units.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The line of sight poo poo needs to be displayed while previewing attacks before moving. I can’t even remember how many times i’ve moved into a spot that said I would be able to attack to just have los blocked and be worthless.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, they don't do a great job of explaining how damage is derived, but as I understand it, damage is 5 - 25 at even strength levels and then gets scaled based on the absolute difference in strength rather than percentage difference. So a difference of 10 strength will always result in the same damage being dealt whether it's with contemporary era units or ancient era units.

...I think.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Weirdly this means if you had an army full of bowmen and the enemy had spec ops, the bowmen would still deal 5-25 damage. Which is a bit :psyduck:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

The line of sight poo poo needs to be displayed while previewing attacks before moving. I can’t even remember how many times i’ve moved into a spot that said I would be able to attack to just have los blocked and be worthless.

Preview a move order and if you see the red highlights around enemy units that means the ranged unit at that position would have line of sight on the enemy if you move that unit there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, they don't do a great job of explaining how damage is derived, but as I understand it, damage is 5 - 25 at even strength levels and then gets scaled based on the absolute difference in strength rather than percentage difference. So a difference of 10 strength will always result in the same damage being dealt whether it's with contemporary era units or ancient era units.

...I think.

(5-25) is the damage floor. (12-28) is the on par one. 10 CS difference has the higher strength unit dealing (43-58) all the time yeah.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eimi posted:

Weirdly this means if you had an army full of bowmen and the enemy had spec ops, the bowmen would still deal 5-25 damage. Which is a bit :psyduck:

An army of 8 Hunnic Hordes can destroy 1 of anything, including a tank.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chamale posted:

ngl if eight hunnic hordes couldn't manage to kill 1 tank irl i would be pretty disappointed in the horde

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like the achievements may not be triggering correctly. I don't see how I could get "From Zero to Hero" and "Pacesetter" in the same game :psyduck:

Edit: It also says I finished the game without declaring war and I know that's not true.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 6, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fur20 posted:

ngl if eight hunnic hordes couldn't manage to kill 1 tank irl i would be pretty disappointed in the horde

I assume a unit in Humankind represents something like 10,000 people. So that's 80,000 people on horseback, with the element on surprise on their side, against 2,500 tanks (4 crewmen per tank). Yeah, I'd bet on the Huns in that situation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chamale posted:

I assume a unit in Humankind represents something like 10,000 people. So that's 80,000 people on horseback, with the element on surprise on their side, against 2,500 tanks (4 crewmen per tank). Yeah, I'd bet on the Huns in that situation.

Caution, even attempting to engage with a post this dumb killed a number of my brain cells, do not do it

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There are some small bugs when it comes to yield preview on district placement; for example, I selected the tenet that gave +2 industry on woodland/forest. Now if I tried to place a Farmer's Quarter on a woodland or forest tile, the preview would seem to assume I would lose all the industry on the tile, but it turned out not to be the case, as I would still get the +2 industry (which can be buffed by things like Egyptians, sawmill, etc.), as placing a quarter does not remove woods or forest on the tile. It seems to produce the industry even if it's not adjacent to something that would exploit industry, though placing a farmer's quarter on a forested river will remove the +industry from watermills or hydro power, even with the tenet.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chamale posted:

Ask me about confidently sailing my submarine into a gaggle of crappy transport rafts manned by some iron-age losers, and then getting murdered
(Actually don't, the memory is too painful)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of small bugs, how many times is the game going to congratulate me on my first ransacking?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Popete posted:

Speaking of small bugs, how many times is the game going to congratulate me on my first ransacking?

Probably about the same number of times it will congratulate you on finding an independent city.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Popete posted:

I know the game sure likes to talk about another nations' wonders and/or whether or not I captured them.

It also congratulated me on "building my first ship" when I produced a construction team. Never mind all the ships I found in curiosities with embarked units.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Im betting on canister shot

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Magil Zeal posted:

I know the game sure likes to talk about another nations' wonders and/or whether or not I captured them.

It also congratulated me on "building my first ship" when I produced a construction team. Never mind all the ships I found in curiosities with embarked units.

You didn't build those game vindicated.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Chamale posted:

:psyduck:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You didn't build those game vindicated.

The construction team still isn't a ship though :v:

Edit: Tutorial report is the urban sprawl is real.

Now I think I need to try a real difficulty level. Pollution seems like it could escalate out of hand pretty quick if it weren't for annihilating the entire tech back half of the tech tree in like the last ~30 turns and having town difficulty.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 6, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Smokescreens and high explosives, not just a bunch of dudes with bows. The Mujaheddin blew up plenty of helicopters with cavalry carrying American missile launchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Oh, we've entered the phase where we make up numbers and argue about which army should beat which, according to some random historical excerpts.

I'd bet on superman (representing 1k supermen per visual unit) units beating spiderman (representing one Königstiger-Tank) units.