Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Dobbs_Head posted:

I ain’t gonna pick a big fight over it. It’s a common disagreement. Although I’d appreciate not being accused of supporting “toxic” behavior.

It’s fairly popular to assert that there aren’t sex based differences in behavior or inclination. I don’t think the data backs that up. But it’s hard to mount that argument, because the typical counter to studies that show sex-based differences in behavior is to claim it’s driven by culture / society. Certainly a portion of it is, but I believe the data shows a substantial portion is innate.

This includes aggression in males. I personally think it will be hard to build a more pleasant/safer world for everyone without acknowledging the biological driving forces behind male violence.

But in the end it doesn’t matter at an individual level. If you treat your kid as an individual, rather than an archetype of a population, you’ll do better parenting.

:biotruths: rite

but agreed on your last point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Test results are in. Negative!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Idk, it’s tough to differentiate between “innate to one’s biological sex” and just innate. I mean my son saw tractors and thought they were cool, no one told him to think so, he just found them fascinating. But from an anecdotal standpoint at least, we’ve got parents saying their girls do too. I think at a certain young age they just like what they like because they don’t have much of a concept or any at all really of gender roles and such.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My son loves makeup and will play dolls with his sister, but he's also drawn like iron to a magnet towards wheels and anything that spins. I could coax his older sister to play with the train set if I did it with her, but my son developed the intense interest in trains and cars and construction equipment all on his own. He's also much more likely to engage in violent play - she will, sometimes, but he will tackle people out of nowhere. They had the same toys, but gravitated to their preferred ones on their own.

They come wired how they're wired. It's not :biotruths: so much as kids like what they like and they do tend to have their likes roughly distributed as a population (not individuals). I could no more change what my son likes than I could change his eye color.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I don’t think there is a lot of support for “boys like blue and trucks, and girls like pink and dolls” from our biological sex.

The things I think have stronger support have cross-species and culture trends that suggest they aren’t primarily social in origin.

That’s things like elevated aggression in males, differences in navigation strategy, and differences in visual spacial reasoning have a lot of support for a biological origin.

The elevated aggression in males is so ubiquitous in mammals and primates that asserting that the same trait in humans is cultural just doesn’t seem likely. It’s so ubiquitous that mice evolved a stress reaction to males of other species.

But I guess that’s all :biotruths: so can safely be ignored.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy gently caress I’m sorry I brought up guns.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

New thread title, mods?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Shifty Pony posted:

Blueberries for Sal is still great.

There's a lesser-known sequel, or idk if it's a sequel exactly, but it's another one about Sal and her family called One Morning in Maine that I always loved as a kid too. And of course Make Way for Ducklings by the same author.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Yeah, sorry. I got carried away. I’ll drop it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm surprised we moved on from bad kids' book chat without mentioning The Giving Tree, the book about giving everything you have to an ingrate

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We're going to the ped in a couple of weeks so we'll ask there as well, but in the meantime maybe someone here has any ideas about this weird sleep regression. 8.5 month old is sleep trained, falls asleep on his own really easily, and was generally sleeping pretty well. However, in the last few weeks he's started waking up shrieking like a banshee a couple of hours into sleep, completely unable to self soothe, no amount of back rubbing or gentle talking works. If I let him cry, he'll just continue to scream on and off until I can't take it anymore (longest was an hour). We did really gradual sleep training with minimal crying so I have no tolerance for it. I've resorted to bed sharing again as that does calm him and it's the only way we can make it through the night relatively calmly. No sign of teeth, no other obvious discomforts, happy as a clam during the day, naps are pretty solid at home though a crapshoot at daycare. Last night, I got up at some point after having brought him in for the night because he was restless and realized he was actually wide awake. Like, aware, looking around, but otherwise calm. Put him back in his crib and he fell asleep without a fuss. It's just this weird agitated state he gets into that prevents him from self soothing. Too young for night terrors, and I can't believe he'd have nightmares every night for weeks. No allergies or food sensitivities that we know of.

Gimme your theories!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

2DEG posted:

We're going to the ped in a couple of weeks so we'll ask there as well, but in the meantime maybe someone here has any ideas about this weird sleep regression. 8.5 month old is sleep trained, falls asleep on his own really easily, and was generally sleeping pretty well. However, in the last few weeks he's started waking up shrieking like a banshee a couple of hours into sleep, completely unable to self soothe, no amount of back rubbing or gentle talking works. If I let him cry, he'll just continue to scream on and off until I can't take it anymore (longest was an hour). We did really gradual sleep training with minimal crying so I have no tolerance for it. I've resorted to bed sharing again as that does calm him and it's the only way we can make it through the night relatively calmly. No sign of teeth, no other obvious discomforts, happy as a clam during the day, naps are pretty solid at home though a crapshoot at daycare. Last night, I got up at some point after having brought him in for the night because he was restless and realized he was actually wide awake. Like, aware, looking around, but otherwise calm. Put him back in his crib and he fell asleep without a fuss. It's just this weird agitated state he gets into that prevents him from self soothing. Too young for night terrors, and I can't believe he'd have nightmares every night for weeks. No allergies or food sensitivities that we know of.

Gimme your theories!

Growing pains? Some other pain somewhere in his body that won’t allow him to self-soothe?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I’m on paternity leave alone with our 5 month old for the next few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any recommended lists of games and activities. This is our second so I know most of the obvious stuff but I’m trying to make a plan for each wake period going into the week so that I can go back to the schedule when I’m feeling drained. I’d be happy to buy a book if there’s a good one.

I did find this (https://pathways.org/growth-development/4-6-months/games/#Week%2014) which is pretty great. More things like that would be great.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Any suggestions on safely decongesting a 21 month old?

Not only is he a drool monster due to we assume the last of his molars coming in but he's been snotty as well - clear white stuff but really thick, so we're assuming just bad allergies. It's been bad enough that his usual self-soothing tactic of "suck on thumb until either it swells or i fall asleep" won't work because he has to mouth breathe. Which meant we were up every three hours last night because he would wake up miserable and crying. Same with his nap today

We have a humidifier going in his room atm but that didn't seem to help with his nap and our efforts to use the nose-frida was traumatizing for all involved. I assume that there's not something i've been missing that i should be doing?

Unrelated but he's finally been eating with a fork and spoon and it is god drat adorable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

citybeatnik posted:

Any suggestions on safely decongesting a 21 month old?

Not only is he a drool monster due to we assume the last of his molars coming in but he's been snotty as well - clear white stuff but really thick, so we're assuming just bad allergies. It's been bad enough that his usual self-soothing tactic of "suck on thumb until either it swells or i fall asleep" won't work because he has to mouth breathe. Which meant we were up every three hours last night because he would wake up miserable and crying. Same with his nap today

We have a humidifier going in his room atm but that didn't seem to help with his nap and our efforts to use the nose-frida was traumatizing for all involved. I assume that there's not something i've been missing that i should be doing?

Unrelated but he's finally been eating with a fork and spoon and it is god drat adorable.

Do you have a nasal aspirator? It’s gross as hell but the one we have is great for clearing out even fairly thick boogers. Sometimes a quick saline squirt can help move it along too.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

priznat posted:

Do you have a nasal aspirator? It’s gross as hell but the one we have is great for clearing out even fairly thick boogers. Sometimes a quick saline squirt can help move it along too.

Yeah we have the nose-frida that i tried before he flipped out - got a little out but he's still snotty. And if that made him lose his poo poo i'm afraid of what squirting something up there will do.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Yeah we have the nose-frida that i tried before he flipped out - got a little out but he's still snotty. And if that made him lose his poo poo i'm afraid of what squirting something up there will do.

Yeah our first 2 didn’t like it but they put up with it, whereas our third has to be held fully immobile or she will go bananas.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

L0cke17 posted:

Little dude has 4 molars coming in at once. Possibly 5 now. He's so grumpy.

Hi 5 all 4 molars simultaneously buddy. Makes our little chook so tired during the day and then night time is tough with the pain.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

I'm surprised we moved on from bad kids' book chat without mentioning The Giving Tree, the book about giving everything you have to an ingrate

When we had my wife’s baby shower, each table was children’s book themed. We were walking a guest past The Giving Tree table and she mentioned “Oh i love that book!”.

Me, not having ever read the book, just smiled and moved along.

Fast forward 5 years when I did finally get the reading it with my son: THE gently caress!?!

Explains a lot about that guest. And a whole lot about some other people.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Day 3 of Pre-K and we’ve already gotten an email about a kid in another class who popped positive and they’re contact tracing to find out who needs to quarantine. They pod the classes and enforce masks for everyone so not an immediate concern but it’s enough to make us anxious going forward.

If we get another from inside his class we’re probably going to withdraw and wait another year.

This poo poo sucks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

nwin posted:

Where did you go wrong in raising them you think?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Lol

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hahaha

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

2DEG posted:

Gimme your theories!

I had this exact thing, starting at around the same age. Search my posts in this thread. It was baffling, nothing we did would help at the time. Eventually she just started sleeping through but it was several months of torture. We also have low tolerance for crying. I think what helped was just progressively leaving her alone for longer depending on how upset she was as she'd get more upset if anyone tried to help her. BABIES

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

life is killing me posted:

Growing pains? Some other pain somewhere in his body that won’t allow him to self-soothe?

Tried ibuprofen a couple of times, no effect.

Jumpsuit posted:

nothing we did would help at the time.

several months of torture.

Lol, gently caress.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Milestone/leap, then? I forget if you mentioned. Some babies just sleep like rear end during certain leaps that mess with their heads more

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Someone pointed out the other day that using a nose frida is a really effective way to inject RSV and other pathogens deep into your lungs, and I can't stop thinking about it, kind of looking forward now to the next fight with my wife about why I refuse to use that infernal contraption and use the squeeze bulb instead

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Someone pointed out the other day that using a nose frida is a really effective way to inject RSV and other pathogens deep into your lungs, and I can't stop thinking about it, kind of looking forward now to the next fight with my wife about why I refuse to use that infernal contraption and use the squeeze bulb instead

The bulb syringe is a genius invention, and works great if you use it correctly, get it further up the nose canal, and close the other nostril.

For some reason the nose frida has trouble sometimes even with the other nostril closed.

If you’re feeling frisky, try a neti pot, so how close your kid lets you get to them the next time they see you

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of the best ways we've found to clear our congestion is to start up a hot shower in a closed bathroom without the vent fan running, then hang out in the room for 10 minutes or so. It is drat near 100% humidity, and as an added bonus TP is right there to help clean up the waterfall of snot which comes out.

We've been stuck at home with kiddo for a week since he picked something up at day care and brought it home. Negative for COVID, just one hell of a cold.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

life is killing me posted:

If you’re feeling frisky, try a neti pot, so how close your kid lets you get to them the next time they see you
I've always wondered how that works with toddlers. I've got a nasal irrigator squirty bottle thing and when I'm really congested there's absolutely no way that a gentle stream of warm saline can actually get through my sinuses to come out the other nostril - I've got to get a bit of pressure going to even 'break through' and even then, most of the water comes out the back of my throat even if my head is completely tilted. The only time water reliably comes out the other nostril is if there really isn't any inflammation or congestion in the nasal passages. Based on that, I've never used nasal irrigation on my toddler out of concern he'd just end up with warm saline trickling down his throat and half choking him.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
A miracle hath occurred tonight. Did bath time with toddler and baby, toddler was amped up and didn’t want to go to bed, so she came in my room and “helped” put the baby to sleep. A few minutes in, she said she wanted to go back to her room, and she got up, shouted SEE YOU LATER, closed both room doors, and put herself to sleep. I got the baby to sleep in maybe five minutes, went to check on her, and she was curled up with her neon green bunny, fast asleep. AND IT’S 8:30 PM.

Will report back tomorrow with what will probably be a horrible night of sleep because this is too good to be true.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

I've always wondered how that works with toddlers. I've got a nasal irrigator squirty bottle thing and when I'm really congested there's absolutely no way that a gentle stream of warm saline can actually get through my sinuses to come out the other nostril - I've got to get a bit of pressure going to even 'break through' and even then, most of the water comes out the back of my throat even if my head is completely tilted. The only time water reliably comes out the other nostril is if there really isn't any inflammation or congestion in the nasal passages. Based on that, I've never used nasal irrigation on my toddler out of concern he'd just end up with warm saline trickling down his throat and half choking him.

A doctor recommended it to us when we went to a UC in Missoula, MT. Granted he wasn’t a pediatrician. We didn’t try that on our toddler because he will barely let us put a bandaid on him these days.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Update: A bigass thunderstorm rolled through overnight and scared my toddler, she came into my room crying around 1am, the storm lasted about an hour and a half. Baby was up every 3 hours, and around 4am had to come sit on my chest. Toddler was up at 6:45am.

One of these days I will sleep.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

nwin posted:

I don’t know about any of that but my toddler is loving drawn to trucks and construction sites and dirt and mulch. I don’t care for any of it but that dude loving loves it.

My youngest boy plays with construction stuff. But he also got a Barbie, a Ken, and a kid Barbie of some sort and absolutely adores playing baby dolls with his sister, and watching Barbie videos on YouTube.

A decade ago, I would have been toxic-masculine "no son of mine is gonna play with dolls". Now it just tickles me that he loves playing with his big sister so much.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hello good morning I'm taking this weird thing to the doctor this afternoon to look at her foot and get her tested for things.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

D34THROW posted:

My youngest boy plays with construction stuff. But he also got a Barbie, a Ken, and a kid Barbie of some sort and absolutely adores playing baby dolls with his sister, and watching Barbie videos on YouTube.

A decade ago, I would have been toxic-masculine "no son of mine is gonna play with dolls". Now it just tickles me that he loves playing with his big sister so much.

Yeah, we had some friends over a while back whom have a little girl about 6 months older than our toddler son. The husband made some offhanded remark about when my son asked for his pink cup instead of a green one and we were all pretty put off by it, hence the “had” some friends. In the next sentence he also told his wife to correct her posture and sit up straight, so I’m pretty sure he was just a different kind of guy than us. We gave our son a baby doll in anticipation of his little brother coming and he’s been the sweetest thing.

Potty training has also been going well, to the point he makes his teddy use the potty in the morning. He’s a cute kid.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My son who won't even let me shower alone dipped right the gently caress out and was like bye bitch when we dropped him off for his first day of preschool today. I had 2.5hrs of freedom that I didn't know what to do with. Pure bliss

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

1up posted:

My son who won't even let me shower alone dipped right the gently caress out and was like bye bitch when we dropped him off for his first day of preschool today. I had 2.5hrs of freedom that I didn't know what to do with. Pure bliss

It is awesome when they just dive in and barely look back because they're so into it.. My 3 kids were all a little different when going but all loved it. The oldest went quietly and apparently would cry for a bit but just silently by himself (the teacher was awesome at bringing him into the activities slowly and gently), the middle kid was too amped to see her friends to even register my leaving and the youngest demands a big hug and kiss before running in and yelling "I'M HERE!!!"

I feel for the kids and parents that just have a massive screaming/crying event when trying to get them in the door of preschool though, that is rough.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid puts on a big show of crying and clinging but is fine once we leave. The first couple weeks were definitely rough though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Oof. I made some tasty, no-added-sugar muffins for the baby. He ate maybe three bites and threw the rest on the floor contemptuously. I know it’s dumb to take it personally, but I worked hard on those!! :argh: