Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Anteater team rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I bought a hamster

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you can't just say that and not post a picture

here is one of my hamsters
https://i.imgur.com/4IMPk20.mp4

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

When I was a youngster I didn't realize Ebichu and Hamtaro were different properties, I saw pictures of both of them and assumed that Ebichu was the original Hamtaro anime and that the actual Hamtaro show was its sanitized child oriented reboot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Erg posted:

I’ll be double honest and say I don’t remember what that spoiler is. Most of ping pong’s story has left me outside of the initial Smile and uhhh bowlcut backstory stuff

and that one guy’s Christmas

Again, anime i thought was worth watching but I’m realizing it didn’t leave much of an impact on me. Both it and GuP get a lot of hype and of the two GuP lives up to it more for me.

My submission for best sports is, of course, Haikyuu S1 + 2. Other seasons are good but those two nailed it.

There's an anime that had I think, a similarly interesting premise for me which was this scifi anime, about this team of like, students/intern engineers building prototype racing rocketships so you have this combination of films like that racing Ford vs Ferrari film meets one of the Apollo Films and there's cut throat corporate dealings and espionage and there's like DUNE style plots within plots of kids switching identities, its crazy and was awesome. I think its one of those classic animes that suffered from its overly brisk half-cour (11ish episode) runtime instead of really having time to breath with exploring its various plots.

I could use a scifi version of Girls Und Panzer, with spaceships or mecha; or maybe a strategy game version, where they're cooperatively playing basically Civilization Six as a VRMMO conquering everyone else but starting from nothing :black101:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Chicken Thumbs posted:

When I was a youngster I didn't realize Ebichu and Hamtaro were different properties, I saw pictures of both of them and assumed that Ebichu was the original Hamtaro anime and that the actual Hamtaro show was its sanitized child oriented reboot.

manko!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Hell, I take back everything bad I ever said about you. THat's one cute hamster.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Captain Invictus posted:

that's a cute fuckin' hamster.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

Hell, I take back everything bad I ever said about you. THat's one cute hamster.
oh no what did you say about me!!!

here are my other good fellas, that little guy is Tom, this is Dick using his balls as a pillow, he's basically a polar bear in hamster form and absolutely huge for a hamster:

this is Harry, after spending hours trying to climb his water bottle, he has some kind of mental problem so I decided to get him since he needs a bit more care than normal hamsters(he's got that neurological thing that makes hamsters fall backwards when they stand up and has serious balance issues) :

and this is Chichi, the pet store called me to notify me they had a "very vocal hamster" available, I could hear her screaming at nothing in the background of the call lol, she doesn't talk much anymore but any hamster that has ever been extremely talkative at any point generally has a lot of character so I always try to buy those when available. she is, indeed, a shithead

hamsters are great, I always try to have a couple, sometimes more

post ur pets, chat thread

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wish I could sleep on my balls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I wish I could sleep on my balls.

well, you can, but i dont think itll work out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh to be born a tanuki

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
one of my dogs likes to wake me up by jumping on my nards and I'm glad it's the cavoodle and not the whippet

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's an anime that had I think, a similarly interesting premise for me which was this scifi anime, about this team of like, students/intern engineers building prototype racing rocketships so you have this combination of films like that racing Ford vs Ferrari film meets one of the Apollo Films and there's cut throat corporate dealings and espionage and there's like DUNE style plots within plots of kids switching identities, its crazy and was awesome. I think its one of those classic animes that suffered from its overly brisk half-cour (11ish episode) runtime instead of really having time to breath with exploring its various plots.

Believe that one's called Classroom Crisis! I don't know who's been taking interesting, serious sci-fi tales and giving them utterly terrible names, but I thought it was pretty solid. Though I agree that by the end, it was definitely suffering from not quite having enough time to fit in everything they wanted to.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

HERCULES

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Adorable :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1434999851343773697?s=19

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i've been rewatching evangelion for the first time in a decade, and it's funny how much episode 26 feels like a monogatari prototype. there's technically some fantastic premise at play, but it's really just a character dialoguing through their trauma and fears over cool mixed media and title cards for 25 minutes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Return Of Monday, in about 30 minutes

homeless snail posted:

Mondays are finally back, picking up where we left off on the Yoshitoshi ABe Hour (ft Chiaki J Konaka) with more NieA_7, but before that a show that users on the internet have described as "Abysmally tough to watch" and "... one of the worst things iv ever watched", Giniro no Olynssis

8PM eastern @ https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jigen’s VA is being replaced for the first time in 50 years:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/09/06/akio-otsuka-newly-voices-daisuke-jigen-in-lupin-the-third-part-6

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's cool how VA's get steady gigs like this and respect, unlike poo poo like "We'll cast, uh, Seth Rogen as Shaggy in this claymation Scooby-Doo film and not tell Matthew Lillard about it until Variety tweets it out!"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

It's cool how VA's get steady gigs like this and respect, unlike poo poo like "We'll cast, uh, Seth Rogen as Shaggy in this claymation Scooby-Doo film and not tell Matthew Lillard about it until Variety tweets it out!"

It made me pretty upset just at how much that new War for Cybertron thing on Netflix just swapped all the voice actors mainly for cost reasons; many of the characters sound nothing like their previous versions (Especially for Part 3). :(

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just a matter of my personal taste, or is basically all the chinese and korean stuff that gets uploaded to mangadex basically terrible?

The art might be nice but I've neither personally read any that were anything better than average, or even heard other people talk about comics they like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's two I read, Beware the Villainess and The Way To Protect The Protagonist's Brother, I enjoy both of those a lot. but yeah I feel like for as much as people complain about isekai manga there's ten times as many manhua like them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just a matter of my personal taste, or is basically all the chinese and korean stuff that gets uploaded to mangadex basically terrible?

The art might be nice but I've neither personally read any that were anything better than average, or even heard other people talk about comics they like.

theres a lot of good chinese/korean stuff but they dont really have a published manga industry, some stuff gets put out in print later but its all webtoons/webcomics. ofc the industrys big enough that they still have something resembling an editorial process also the industrys big enough that you can find somewhere willign to pay you for what youre putting out. so its closer to japanese webnovels than it is the jp manga industry, in terms of the average quality

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've enjoyed a handful but don't really seek it out because of the common format difference

very much enjoyed Here U Are, and i still follow Peerless Dad/father Unrivaled and The Lady And The Beast. there's stuff i've set aside for nothing worse than just being average too like the bl about the 30 year old bachelor, Semantic Error etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funny thing about akio otsuka being the new voice of jigen is that akio's dad, chikao otsuka, was the original voice of goemon in lupin 3 part 1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno if I'd call it good, but I enjoyed I Want to be Normal.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
imagining a mirror world where the only western comics that ever get translated into other languages are old Penny Arcade/CAD rip-offs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoubleDonut posted:

imagining a mirror world where the only western comics that ever get translated into other languages are old Penny Arcade/CAD rip-offs
megatokyo clones, all the way down

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been rereading Megatokyo at work and its actually good, even most of the earlier strips back when it wanted to be a gaming webcomic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Megatokyo is likely what ultimately got me into manga so regardless of quality or other problems (idk I haven't read it at all in a very very long time) I'm not gonna hate on it too much

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I haven't thought of Megatokyo in, like, a decade. Did their game ever happen?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it might've eventually made me aware of much better things but megatokyo itself was definitely terrible, and I doubt it improved in the time since

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DoubleDonut posted:

Megatokyo is likely what ultimately got me into manga so regardless of quality or other problems (idk I haven't read it at all in a very very long time) I'm not gonna hate on it too much

The very earliest strips the art is... Art, I suppose, very devient-art-esque with its obvious Clannad influences on its sleeve, but I think the main selling point especially as the art improves is since Fred was an architectural draftsman his backgrounds usually have proper scale and when his environments are good they're really good at least by the standards of webcomics; and definitely have their charm in our modern world where increasingly manga artists to save time seemed to kinda just stopped drawing environments (this is perception, not making a factual claim).

I think the main selling point at least until you read Qualia the Purple is its probably someone's first exposure to Existentialist themes like the way Largo and Piro have these two equally valid yet radically different world views that interact with each other is actually legitimately interesting. Basically Largo is so out of touch and disassociated with the real world that he views everything like its a video game like in The Gamer, but because he thinks its real it is real; and the events actually happen; and intersect with the "real" world that Piro sees, but Piro's real is probably just as fake as Largo's video game world; which forms a very interesting contrast.

It's also kinda neat that the two leads are relatable in different ways, and also flawed in different ways; especially as I get older I simultaneously admire Largo's free spirit even as I share Piro's cranky outlook on life.

Its been a long time since I last read the webcomic and I'm only like 200 or so strips back in as I reread it, but the last time I read it I lacked the pre-existing knowledge or philosophical context to more closely study the comic's themes and so I'm hoping to on my reread I can glean more with a fresh view instead of applying it retroactively through 20/20 hindsight rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Raenir Salazar posted:

but because he thinks its real it is real
ok so he's an ork

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

ok so he's an ork