Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

AceOfFlames posted:

I am 34 and never had any sort of relationship. My only friend lives half a continent away. I am trapped in a place where I don't speak the language, because my dad turns out to have manipulated my brother into making me move closer to him because he was worried I was lonely and somehow believed this whole thing would blow over. I am treated like a child by the only people I care about. I have nothing and now can GAIN nothing. What will reading a bunch of books solve? I essentially live in loving SOLITARY CONFINEMENT.

I'm alone in my unit too. No partner. No pets. My family are just far enough away I don't get to see them with our lockdowns.

I watch random videos, doom post, read books, program, listen to music, and I'm learning to draw and to meditate. And even then I feel like there's so much more I could be doing. I waste so much time on the random videos and doom posting parts of my day. The amount of poo poo you can do inside with an internet connection is basically limitless. And there's plenty of social outlets online you could try on. I can't really help much with exact things cause what works will be different for everyone. But at the very least trying various things out will keep you busy for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acems
May 8, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Find a really cool online social thing to do. Doesn't matter if it's D&D or a video game or whatever. Find something you're honestly interested in. Look for something that goes weekly or a couple times a week. That way you have something to look forward to, cool pals to talk to, and an easy way to break the ice to make those pals.

I'll seriously second this. I joined a once/twice weekly hobby group last year and ended up meeting my partner through it in addition to a bunch of straight up real friends. we played werewolf. give it a shot :shrug:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Phigs posted:

I'm alone in my unit too. No partner. No pets. My family are just far enough away I don't get to see them with our lockdowns.

I watch random videos, doom post, read books, program, listen to music, and I'm learning to draw and to meditate. And even then I feel like there's so much more I could be doing. I waste so much time on the random videos and doom posting parts of my day. The amount of poo poo you can do inside with an internet connection is basically limitless. And there's plenty of social outlets online you could try on. I can't really help much with exact things cause what works will be different for everyone. But at the very least trying various things out will keep you busy for a while.

I program for a living and I can't concentrate more than an hour every day. I have been stuck in the same task for weeks. I am amazed I haven't been fired.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I program for a living and I can't concentrate more than an hour every day. I have been stuck in the same task for weeks. I am amazed I haven't been fired.

At the risk of starting something, have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

slinkimalinki posted:

At the risk of starting something, have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD?

I once tried Ritalin and it didn't work. MY parents were so angry about having to wait in the car for so long during the sessions to get that diagnosis that I never tried again. Especially since mental health services in the Netherlands sucked and it looks like Norway might not be much better.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 7, 2021

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Doesn't this lady understand that the math says she shouldn't be upset if one of them dies?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cenotaph posted:

Doesn't this lady understand that the math says she shouldn't be upset if one of them dies?

Oh, okay!

Time for Applebee's unlimited apps!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the best-case scenario for the holidays is if we have 6 months of booster data around that time

If there’s proof that 3rd dose recipients are like 99% protected from infection 6 months out from the boost, I’d consider hanging with other boosted people

That also means my friends and family have to get boosted and survive the next 3 months. I have doubts.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

I think the best-case scenario for the holidays is if we have 6 months of booster data around that time

If there’s proof that 3rd dose recipients are like 99% protected from infection 6 months out from the boost, I’d consider hanging with other boosted people

That also means my friends and family have to get boosted and survive the next 3 months. I have doubts.

I already did what the Daily Show told me to do. Sounds like a lot of trouble to get more shots. Might as well just die.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

They don't want us to get boosted until 8 months, which lands after new years for most of us.

lol

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

who loving cares what they want, boost the gently caress up

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeriel posted:

They don't want us to get boosted until 8 months, which lands after new years for most of us.

lol

They’re still being vague about if the floodgates will open up on 9/20 for Pfizer

I can’t see pharmacists giving a poo poo about verifying the dates for your first 2 doses

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
After I graduated from college I immediately went back to my pre-college ways of having no social life at all and my therapist suggested the absolute god awful worst ways on Earth to meet people like dude told jme to go to toastmasters and poo poo, I got a PM from someone on reddit who replied to a post I made like a year earlier about wanting to play D&D, I ended up doing it and it improved my life a lot, it's really enriched me and given me a creative outlet I desprately needed and I met a lot of cool people (okay and a few terrible ones). As a person who can't STAND to be around more than one person for longer than 20 minutes in a social session this has been so important to me. Also playing with my online friends too has made us closer and I feel like I have community that I didn't beforehand.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Americans fuckin hate their kids. lol

so many people have kids as status symbols. they do it for social climbing reasons lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Der Meister posted:

who loving cares what they want, boost the gently caress up

Reminder that America has wasted at least 15 million vaccines just within the last 6 months because they weren't administered to anyone before expiring. Do not let these ghouls make you feel guilty for getting a third shot. All they want is to sacrifice you and your family to Ba'al

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
if you download Discord, there are a bunch of gaming rooms suggested. They even have stages, which are conversations where people are already hanging out. Join a really small one and there are people who are just as bored as you!

if you run an RPG online you will find many people and some of them will turn into your friends. YouTube will teach you all you need to know.

And if you like most programmers, you can probably just adapt what you’re doing from stack overflow.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MrMoeOthman/status/1433930974065315840?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Caring about your kids in Western society is something that's only like 175 years old you can't blame America if it didn't take across the board yet.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Der Meister posted:

if everyone is vaccinated just see your family who loving cares

the worst people in the world will ensure you get infected eventually anyway

get high

This is my take on it. Stay max titer'd and surround yourself with people who have the same strategy and assemble something that looks like a life worth living. All you can do is drive down your risk as much as possible because the alternative is just isolating in a basement forever.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

the absolute competence attributed to the government by these people is heartwarming, brings a tear to the eye knowing such optimism exists

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rick posted:

After I graduated from college I immediately went back to my pre-college ways of having no social life at all and my therapist suggested the absolute god awful worst ways on Earth to meet people like dude told jme to go to toastmasters and poo poo, I got a PM from someone on reddit who replied to a post I made like a year earlier about wanting to play D&D, I ended up doing it and it improved my life a lot, it's really enriched me and given me a creative outlet I desprately needed and I met a lot of cool people (okay and a few terrible ones). As a person who can't STAND to be around more than one person for longer than 20 minutes in a social session this has been so important to me. Also playing with my online friends too has made us closer and I feel like I have community that I didn't beforehand.

Playing tabletop RPG's as a teenager and into my twenties really gave me social tools that I flat out didn't have and were sorely needing.

If you can find a good group, tabletop is a fantastic social outlet and social training tool, can give a sense of community (albeit a small one), can give you something to look forward to and it is just a lot of fun. After my group fell apart in the mid-2000's I did online games for friends and had a blast as GM.

To pick up a game the most obvious place will be the roll20 forums. Look for newbie friendly games where they're willing to teach you.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Phigs posted:

VRchat?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Which of us is the crazy one?

both of you, obvs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1434923058444316673?s=20

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
vrchat is real good

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Prevention and treatment are useless against an endemic virus.

Source your quotes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WVTM13/status/1435034092962074633?s=20

quote:

A night shift nurse told WVTM 13's Fred Davenport she wants to thank the day shift for staying late today (Monday) and supporting the night shift workers in their protest. She said this was a planned protest and no patients were left without care.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

2000 drug overdoses per week at the height of it? How quaint

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

cool do it again but abandon the chuds

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

workin the night shift

nonstop covid including a few teenagers

posting in the covid thread

family chat has more than one family member refusing to believe covid is real

crack

ping

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MAYBE if Caillou wasn't so annoying, parents would like spending time with their kids more!!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

im gonna write off a bunch of my family I am sick of this poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Coldrice posted:

Added some more minimalist UI for the covid simulator. I also added the option to mask or vaccinate your character ( don't have any cool sprites for it yet). I also added some little updates in the bottom corner as things go on mostly for fun

that's incredibly badass man. you really took that and ran with it, it's loving awesome.

you could add stuff like posters to get vaccinated that has a chance of getting someone to get vaccinated, or hand sanitizer (that doesn't do anything). you have a real game there, how can i play it, i'll give you money.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
black friday is gonna be a big treat this year :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Peter Daou Zen posted:

black friday is gonna be a big treat this year :)

buddy, it's treats every day

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

WampaLord posted:

A parent burying their child is such an unnatural tragedy and we're opening Biden every school

lol

lmao

making america great again, turns out it was great before polio

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

buddy, it's treats every day

We deserve it! 2020 sucked, and then we all wore our masks, social distanced, washed our hands, had a proper lockdown, and now we get our hard earned reward

A new variant!!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peter Daou Zen posted:

We deserve it! 2020 sucked, and then we all wore our masks, social distanced, washed our hands, had a proper lockdown, and now we get our hard earned reward

A new variant!!!

:coronatoot:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

anime was right posted:

making america great again, turns out it was great before polio

Biden really is the new FDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So what's a good air filter for use in the home for COVID concerns for people who have housemates/flatmates/live-with-relatives? It's not applicable to me at the moment fortunately, but I have some friends who were concerned and I figured I'd forward their concerns here.