Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

it ain't no tireless, but its...okay?
Flavour text: "She got tired"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Makes me wonder when we'll see a card that makes your choice of a food, treasure, or clue token when it enters the battlefield.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Am I reading it wrong or is it a significantly worse rear end trophy that you can use as a significantly worse harrow on yourself?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Am I reading it wrong or is it a significantly worse rear end trophy that you can use as a significantly worse harrow on yourself?

It has Flashback.

But otherwise yes, you're reading it right.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

I think it's like, a sorcery harrow with flashback that can serve as removal in a pinch? Which isn't bad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is my least favorite kind of magic card. A big wall of text for a boring and bad effect.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's your manland killer at least.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Maybe there's a cantrip artifact or enchantment that you can blow up.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I feel like the intent is you use it on your own lands for ramp and then repeat it next turn with the flashback, and later in the game you can use it as artifact/enchantment removal or if you’re desperate enough to pop a manland

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the "ideal" play pattern is that it's a 3-mana ramp spell, plus a free 5-mana artifact/enchantment/manland removal later in the game once giving your opponent the land isn't gonna matter. I don't really see it making the cut in the current meta where Treasure is ramping way harder and doing a lot more, but I could imagine formats where it'd be a reasonable card to be playing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's a sorcery speed Roiling Regrowth that can also pick off some problem permanents when you flash it back or if you draw it late. Weird but I think it might actually be an acceptable card.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ambicious Farmhand - 1W

Creature - Human Peasant

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Plains and put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Coven 1WW: Transform ~. Activate this only if you control three creatures with different powers.

1/1

Consummated Cathar

Creature - Human Knight

Lifelink

3/3

Uncommon if anyone was wondering for limited purposes. This is a card I'd be pretty happy to draft

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

This is my least favorite kind of magic card. A big wall of text for a boring and bad effect.

The worst part of the wall of text is that there's no flavor text to explain why the rampage can generate islands.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Decayed really fucks with my head when it comes to evaluating cards. It requires a target and can be fizzled as a result, which makes it less interesting than it would be if it could freely cycle.

Old Stickfingers
XBG
Legendary Creature - Horror

When you cast this card, reveal the top card of your library until you reveal X creature cards. Put all the creature cards revealed this way into your graveyard, and put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Old Stickfingers power and toughness are equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ambicious Farmhand - 1W

Creature - Human Peasant

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Plains and put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Coven 1WW: Transform ~. Activate this only if you control three creatures with different powers.

1/1

Consummated Cathar

Creature - Human Knight

Lifelink

3/3

so far the power level of the commons and uncommons seems to be tru the roof. really excited about drafting this set

babypolis fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 7, 2021

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The worst part of the wall of text is that there's no flavor text to explain why the rampage can generate islands.

villagers get tired of all their poo poo being destroyed by werewolves and move back to the countryside i guess

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

“Hey look, is that an island?” -Johnny Claws, rampaging werewolf

Hire me, Wizards.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Decayed really fucks with my head when it comes to evaluating cards. It requires a target and can be fizzled as a result, which makes it less interesting than it would be if it could freely cycle.

Shouldn't you still get the zombie and the card? Those two parts don't require a target, and shouldn't it resolve as much as it can? They're all separate sentences.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rickiep00h posted:

Shouldn't you still get the zombie and the card? Those two parts don't require a target, and shouldn't it resolve as much as it can? They're all separate sentences.

No. A spell or ability that targets is countered on resolution if no valid targets remain.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EDIT: Never mind there's nothing he can do that Buried Alive can't do better and cheaper.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Justin_Brett posted:

This is one case where they maybe shouldn't have done the 'remember this other card from last time?' thing and called it something else since it seems very playable on its own, just not Tireless Tracker playable

It’s more like a big thraben inspector than a tireless tracker

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

seiken posted:

I guess the time you might actually want to use Ranger-Captain's sac ability is on an opponent's upkeep, on a turn you expect them to cast some nasty non-instant spells, then?

Yeah, you just play it on their upkeep and they can't cast any Wraths, protecting your big board of weenies to push lethal next turn.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It’s more like a big thraben inspector than a tireless tracker

Throbbing Inspector

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Don't ever put that 6WW wrath into your non commander deck. It's trash.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mcmagic posted:

Don't ever put that 6WW wrath into your non commander deck. It's trash.

There's going to be a janky Abzan deck with cards that care about how many things died in a turn and it's going to be glorious

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol drat this is so boring

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a 4/3 Vigilance for 3 that leaves behind a clue, it's not bad but it's also not really interesting at all and should be an uncommon instead of a rare.

Maybe if it got +1/+0 for each token you control instead or something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

rickiep00h posted:

If a spell has at least one target when it is cast, then in order for it to resolve it also needs to have at least one legal target.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Toshimo posted:

No. A spell or ability that targets is countered on resolution if no valid targets remain.

Well dang. I feel like I should have known this.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

seiken posted:

I guess the time you might actually want to use Ranger-Captain's sac ability is on an opponent's upkeep, on a turn you expect them to cast some nasty non-instant spells, then?

You can use it in response to mizzix's mastery or emergent ultimatum and the like.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a 4/3 Vigilance for 3 that leaves behind a clue, it's not bad but it's also not really interesting at all and should be an uncommon instead of a rare.

Maybe if it got +1/+0 for each token you control instead or something.

We got a 3/3 that draws a card straight up and taps for G at uncommon. This is like a lateral move and its a rare. Smells like something fishy happened during development.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 3 mana 4/3 with upside that gives you optional card advantage for 2 mana? This is basically bonecrusher giant :D

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

babypolis posted:

so far the power level of the commons and uncommons seems to be tru the roof. really excited about drafting this set

Have we seen common dual lands or anything yet? Right now without treasure we're looking at less manabase support than AFR even

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Have we seen common dual lands or anything yet? Right now without treasure we're looking at less manabase support than AFR even

I don’t think so, they’ve just shown off the rare duals

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

We got a 3/3 that draws a card straight up and taps for G at uncommon.

which card is this?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

goferchan posted:

I'd be surprised if we don't see something because there seems to be hints of a subtheme of 'the more colors the better' in some cards, like the Dragon that deals damage equal to how many color permanents you have in play when it dies. (Or maybe thats a one off card?)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I'd be surprised if we don't see something because there seems to be hints of a subtheme of 'the more colors the better' in some cards, like the Dragon that deals damage equal to how many color permanents you have in play when it dies. (Or maybe thats a one off card?)

I get the impression that's mostly seeding for later sets in the rotation; we know Streets of New Capenna will have a 3-color faction theme.

edit: drat also I just realized I misread Moonveil Regent; I thought it drew cards based on the number colors of mana you used to cast the spell and not for the number of colors in the spell itself. Still really good but not as insane with treasure tokens as I thought it would be

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neaden posted:

So this happened a couple days ago but I only just saw Pauper players are pretty peeved. 11 out of 12 of the players in the Pauper Preliminary included only basic lands in their deck as a protest for the current meta.

fadam posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1433860773869019137?s=20

Like three months late but I guess they’re doing it lol

By the way, it turns out the whole "protest" was basically a joke and not intended to be any sort of organized statement.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

which card is this?

Llanowar Visionary if you're like me and remember it as a 3/3 instead of a 2/2 lol. Disregard previous statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fadam posted:

We got a 3/3 that draws a card straight up and taps for G at uncommon. This is like a lateral move and its a rare. Smells like something fishy happened during development.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the thing that happened was to do with coven. This card is really good with coven, both because you get 4 power on turn 3, and because you can vary the power at will. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is good or has any practical applications, but I suspect that in its original form it really really did