Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CharlestheHammer posted:

In the lead up they actively tried their best to deny it was Khan. I believe they straight up said it wasn’t going to be him
Given how much Cumberbatch looks like Khan's second in command, it's likely that he was absolutely meant to be Joachim originally, saving Khan for a future movie. But at some point this changed and they kept lying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Muscle Tracer posted:

The Thing is still plenty full of surprises. Who has been turned? When? Will the protagonist(s) survive? How? These are all plenty of tension, and are amplified from knowing that there's alien shenanigans from the get-go, because you immediately know that there are things the characters are missing.

---

I watched True Lies and Jingle All The Way recently, and I'm genuinely curious what kind of movie they thought they were making, and for who. True Lies in particular makes a lot more sense if you read the protagonist as a deranged villain telling their own unreliable narrator story, like Joker or something. I'd be interested in a remake from Jamie Lee Curtis's character's perspective, adding in a third act of how she finally escapes this abusive monster of a husband.

They were making Jingle All the Way for me, a 35 year old man who is incredibly high on Christmas Eve, to laugh so hard he might throw up when Arnold kicks in the door to the radio station

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CharlestheHammer posted:

In the lead up they actively tried their best to deny it was Khan. I believe they straight up said it wasn’t going to be him

Though at this point there is no point in keeping it going

I remember when they were doing that with marketing because a friend that hadn’t seen it at the time asked me if it was Khan and I said no since they seemed to want it to be a secret at the time. Reflecting on the movie, I have no idea why they made who he was even a minor secret and it is hilarious iTunes just calls him Khan in the plot description.

deoju posted:

I think suspense and surprise can be an important part of the experience. :shrug:

I completely agree and this is why I like to go into movies unspoiled.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, there's a gulf of difference between spoiling something that's commonly known or old or whatever and...

Kramering into the thread to respond to something spoiler tagged for a movie currently in theaters with a responding spoiler, getting called out, doubling down like an immense rear end in a top hat, and basically having this blend into your storied history of being an immense rear end in a top hat in basically every thread you post in...

Which is what happened here.

It's not about if you personally do or don't mind being spoiled, it's that when people ask you "hey could you not do this thing" that costs you nothing, you act like an adult human being and don't throw it back in their face like a petulant child. I know that's asking a lot, but I feel like that's a standard we could all work under.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

docbeard posted:

My favorite Spoiler Outrage moment ever was when (on another forum years ago) someone completely freaked out because someone else mentioned that Game of Thrones, notably based on a fantasy book series, was likely to have magic in it.

What...how? The very first chapter/scene has a bunch of people being killed by ice zombies that are immune to being stabbed. What did they they think this was? Super science?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That Italian Guy posted:

What...how? The very first chapter/scene has a bunch of people being killed by ice zombies that are immune to being stabbed. What did they they think this was? Super science?

They hadn’t seen anything so I assume the sheer fact the book has content is a spoiler

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

That Italian Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDVnVlQ6PnE

Probably a combination of it not being super clear (I mean coming into this cold you might not know whether it's supposed to be hallucinations or whatever) and them not paying attention. The people running the show really did make a big deal about starting very low magic to attract the non-fantasy audience. By the end of the first season you have magic CGI Dragons though.

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Sep 7, 2021

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The mention of opening scenes spoiling the movie reminds me of the original Child's Play. It opens on Brad Douriff being fatally wounded and performing a magical ritual in a toy store and then spends a third of the movie trying to be suspenseful about whether or not Chucky is alive.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDVnVlQ6PnE

Probably a combination of it not being super clear (I mean coming into this cold you might not know whether it's supposed to be hallucinations or whatever) and them not paying attention. The people running the show really did make a big deal about starting very low magic to attract the non-fantasy audience. By the end of the first season you have magic CGI Dragons though.

That's part of the books too, and not just as a marketing gimmick to attract the casual audience. There's a whole running thing about how magic doesn't really exist in this world* even though it presumably used to and over the course of the story it's gradually coming back.

*Granted, we also find out that's not really true either but even the magic that does exist is getting more powerful than it used to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

chglcu posted:

Every movie I’ve been excited to see recently has been spoiled by google news headlines. I don’t care about many movies though, so not sure how common that actually is.

It definitely seems like nowadays you have at most two days before entertainment sites just start putting straight up spoilers in their headlines. Even when they don't they usually word it in such a way you can figure it out.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

For the record, I do try and respect other peoples' spoiler policies in conversation, because even though I don't feel it I understand that OTHER people can have a visceral anguished negative reaction to having the surprise ruined for them.

That being said, at least in some people that might be a learned, trained reaction to the benefit of hack screenwriters covering their asses

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah a big part of the books is magic hadn’t been a thing in a long time so no one was taking this horrible threat seriously

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

I mean, those scenes are loving stupid and ruin the surprise of what's going on in the story, so people are right to complain about them. It's like how I always told people to mute the opening credits to Dark City.

You can't just mute the opening sequence of Dark City, as it's set over a visual of the City from the outside. You have to wind on until you reach the point with Murdoch in the bath. Thankfully the Directors Cut removes the exposition and dives straight in.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

marshmallow creep posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness is bad.

And Spectre. Which also does the villain is secretly related to the hero! Which is also super dumb

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't care if the spaceship shot in The Thing is a spoiler or not, it's still something that would be better not to include.

Ditto for Predator and imo Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isnt the "maybe magic is real or maybe it isnt" thing a hedge bet, because even though Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were massive successes, genre elitism was still a thing? (oh and there still wasnt enough nerds from these genre ghettos in the work forces / consumer end to convince some dumb exec that THING good)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arivia posted:

they did to me too and it meant the dramatic tension was even higher when that scene started, so it worked okay

spoiler culture is WAY overrated

Anti spoiler culture is a bit poo poo too. Sometimes the surprise is really all that film has and it’s nice to experience in the right setting. See cap grabbing Thor’s hammer.

That scene was legendary in the theater. And that’s all it needs to be imo.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't care if the spaceship shot in The Thing is a spoiler or not, it's still something that would be better not to include.

Ditto for Predator and imo Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

If you're going to insist, at least be consistent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Changing random poo poo for no reason is one of those things the MCU got so big in part because it stopped doing it. Very rarely if ever has an adaptation been bad because it was too much like the source material. (though yes, this is an ironic thread to post that in) I dunno if you think it's owning the nerds or what, but Dragon Ball Evolution didn't exactly set the world on fire with its daring choices.

I demand Vance Astro! This James Gunn Troma guy does not understand comics. Also Kitty Pryde better say the n-word on three non-consecutive occasions once she shows up.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Whenever Gambit is not on screen, everyone should ask "where's Gambit?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t care about spoiling plot twists, really, but some of my best theater experiences have been going into movies cold with no idea what they’re about. Grindhouse was probably my high-water mark because everybody lost their poo poo once the first movie ended halfway through and fake trailers started.

Just as a viewing experience, Society was really up there, too. I think T2 and From Dusk to Dawn would have benefited from people not knowing the basic plot elements from trailers.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

PhazonLink posted:

Isnt the "maybe magic is real or maybe it isnt" thing a hedge bet, because even though Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were massive successes, genre elitism was still a thing? (oh and there still wasnt enough nerds from these genre ghettos in the work forces / consumer end to convince some dumb exec that THING good)

When Game of Thrones was just starting to get big, I met a generic millennial couple who were super into it. I told a story about how my university had themed computer labs for the machine names but nobody had any idea what the theme of one of the labs was. It was all weird characters like "Tyrion" and "Sansa." So eventually I looked it up and it was from some book series called 'The Song Of Ice And Fire" and none of the nerds in the class had heard of it. I ended the story by commenting on how weird it was that the books that were too nerdy for the nerds were now a big thing.

The couple did not appreciate my story.

I could absolutely see people trying to convince themselves that the show was some higher art than pulp fantasy, with stuff like magic beneath them as serious adults.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Volcott posted:

Whenever Gambit is not on screen, everyone should ask "where's Gambit?"

And every time he's on screen they should be asking Why is Gambit?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To speak french and be pretty.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If he doesn’t sound exactly like the cartoon, I’m storming out of the theater in a blind rage. Also Storm. Also Professor X’s endless screaming.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4NF62DA3o

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

This one's for you, Morph!

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think T2 and From Dusk to Dawn would have benefited from people not knowing the basic plot elements from trailers.
I can confirm that for T2. I saw that in theater opening day and the couple sitting behind me did not know the twist regarding Arnold. Listening to their reactions during the mall hallway fight were drat near as entertaining as the spectacle on-screen.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tenebrais posted:

As far as I know, this isn't true? Back in the 50s or so there were successful experiments freezing and thawing out mice and similarly-sized animals, and the news about this was what got cryogenic freezing to be such a popular sci-fi concept in the first place.

Unfortunately, it doesn't scale up. Once you get to creatures the size of a rabbit or so, you can't heat them evenly enough to thaw out the body safely - you need everything to come online all at the same time - and the creature dies.
On the plus side, the machine they developed to do this thawing did become the microwave oven. So we still got some good out of it.
Nah. The guy who did the early cryonic experiments in the mid '50s was James Lovelock. He has made the claim that he also invented a microwave-like thing as part of them...but there were already commercially available microwave ovens when he started doing his cryonics work. The first commercial microwave oven was Raytheon's Radarange, from 1947. It was based on patents filed in 1945, a decade before the earliest published mention of microwave heating made by Lovelock. By the time Lovelock was freezing rats Raytheon had already started licensing the technology out to other appliance manufacturers.

The first food cooked, accidentally, by microwave was a chocolate bar, by a radar tech named Percy Spencer, who happened to have one in his pocket while he was working on a radar set. The first food intentionally cooked by microwave was popcorn, also by Spencer a short time later. The second food intentionally cooked by microwave was an egg, which exploded.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CelticPredator posted:

Anti spoiler culture is a bit poo poo too. Sometimes the surprise is really all that film has and it’s nice to experience in the right setting. See cap grabbing Thor’s hammer.

That scene was legendary in the theater. And that’s all it needs to be imo.

wait that was a surprise and not just a ":meh: of course it was going to happen"?

apparently we don't have a meh emote. good to know

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Len posted:

wait that was a surprise and not just a ":meh: of course it was going to happen"?

Yeah, is the goodiest goody two shoes superhero being worthy of Thor's hammer really a surprise twist you couldn't see coming?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Cuz it not you, it Gambit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peyote Panda posted:

I can confirm that for T2. I saw that in theater opening day and the couple sitting behind me did not know the twist regarding Arnold. Listening to their reactions during the mall hallway fight were drat near as entertaining as the spectacle on-screen.

I can believe that but I've never really understood how that's supposed to be such a crazy twist in the way people talk about it. The T-1000 kills a guy immediately. Arnold beats up some very over the top Bad Dudes and then loving Bad to the Bone plays while he puts on sunglasses, which is a total comedic move. I know it relies a lot on having seen the first Terminator (and admittedly I had not when I first saw T2) but there's never even a second where the T-1000 seems like it was sent back by the resistance, and since the narration says two were sent back to find John it's pretty easy to deduce which one is the good guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Yeah, is the goodiest goody two shoes superhero being worthy of Thor's hammer really a surprise twist you couldn't see coming?

It felt exactly right in that “this is a part of every triumphant victory in a big Avengers event series in comics” way. Hell, it was even foreshadowed in Age of Ultron.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Honestly its a bit exhausting trying to read a general thread about movies/games where 3/4 of every page is blacked out and its impossible to tell if its an actual spoiler discussion or just some nonsense that doesn't matter.
Especially when the thread is discussing multiple things and people spoiler tag their entire post so you can't even tell what the topic is.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve seen people complain about talking about the trailer it’s crazy how dumb people have got
That's not even uncommon. Spoiler-tagging discussion of the "next week on..." trailers for TV shows is almost standard practice. :rolleyes:

deoju posted:

I think suspense and surprise can be an important part of the experience. :shrug:
There's a huge difference in degrees though. Saying who the killer was in a murder mystery? Obviously bad form. Part of the fun (for some people) is trying to figure that out. But most "spoilers" people complain about are nowhere near that. You'll get complained at for stuff like "I though the romantic subplot felt unnecessary and tacked on" because now they know that there's a romantic subplot.

Related: people not knowing what a "twist" is. Literally anything that might have been surprising or unexpected to anyone who saw it gets labelled a "twist", rendering the word completely meaningless. Did it recontextualise things you saw earlier, causing you to understand them differently than you had at first? No? Then it's not a twist. Bruce Willis being a ghost is a twist because if you'd previously assumed he was alive then his wife getting up and walking away when he shows up to the restaurant looks like she's angry and upset with him, but in fact she's actually sad that he's dead. A twist is reverse-dramatic-irony.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can believe that but I've never really understood how that's supposed to be such a crazy twist in the way people talk about it. The T-1000 kills a guy immediately.

Minor quibble here: you see the T-1000 punch a guy in the stomach. You never see the blade hand, you never see the body and the next time you see it it's wearing the guy's clothes.

Despite the way it's put together it's definitely meant to be a misdirection. The opening narration says that Skynet sent two Terminators back through time and the resistance sent two protectors after them. As with the first movie Arnie arrives first, implying that Robert Patrick is the protector who followed the Terminator. The T-1000 steals its gun from a cop, just as Reese did. There's also no reason for the T-1000 to be sent back looking like a naked dude - in fact it stands out more as a nude man than it would in future tac gear. The lack of killing when Arnie takes the biker's clothes is definitely a strong clue, but it could be put down to chasing a lower rating.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

You can't just mute the opening sequence of Dark City, as it's set over a visual of the City from the outside. You have to wind on until you reach the point with Murdoch in the bath. Thankfully the Directors Cut removes the exposition and dives straight in.

I don't know if this is one of those Mandela Effect things, because you aren't the first to claim this, but there is no such shot.

https://youtu.be/57Ms1KeI458

Unless there's some international version I don't know about, like the Pizza Hut version of Demolition Man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rydiafan posted:

I don't know if this is one of those Mandela Effect things, because you aren't the first to claim this, but there is no such shot.

https://youtu.be/57Ms1KeI458

Unless there's some international version I don't know about, like the Pizza Hut version of Demolition Man.

It's possible that the UK got a different edit. It was definitely there on my first release DVD the last time I watched it, because I watched it with friends and had to ask them to leave the room while I FFed to the right place. Unfortunately I can't confirm this for you now, as I donated the disc to charity a couple of years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Len posted:

I don’t know it was just really cool to see. Those movies rule if you’re just going with it with a fun audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Peyote Panda posted:

I somehow have never known life without knowing that twist. My dad told me Arnie was the good guy when I first watched it when I was like 5 or 6, and I just assumed it was a thing people knew. I then managed to see the twist in reverse when I first watched T1 a few years later, expecting the T-101 to be the good guy and omg he's trying to kill Sarah now?!