Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't have my Oculus connected to Facebook so maybe they don't like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I got one of those TP-Link Archer routers that people were raving about earlier in the thread so now I can finally stream games through Virtual Desktop without obscene amounts of lag or (as much) epilepsy-inducing flickering while not being in the same room as my main router, but for some reason it refuses to work in AP mode, like it would just keep connecting and then disconnecting 30 seconds later and hopping to a different IP on my network, even for wired devices. In just plain-rear end wireless mode it seems to work fine but anything I connect to it is on a different set of IP addresses, which I guess is fine since it still does what I need it to do, but anyone else run into this? I can't even seem to find anything online about this issue in particular, although there are others with connection issues.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Lemming posted:

I guess what got me about it is calling it "frustrating"; like, they're selling the game at the price point they think reflects the value of the game. I think it's odd to be frustrated that the devs think the game is more valuable than you do. I feel like the process of selling a game at a high price for a short period of time and then slashing the price reflects a game that is fundamentally lovely, and relying on the cycle of releasing a new piece of garbage every so often is a pretty crappy status quo, so I really prefer the idea of only making the games that are worth playing and then not dropping their price immediately, since the value of the game is there and makes it worth getting.

The creator can certainly set the price on what they consider the value of the product, but the customers also have their assessment of the value and if those numbers don't meet, then the creator won't get any money. Only a subset of the potential customers are willing to pay full price. Another subset will buy at half price, or grudgingly at full price if they really want it and there has been a good sale for years. And then there is the subset that I most fall in, that buys a game once it's at -90% and spends more time trawling Steam sales than playing games. Reminds me of a recent discussion in Automotive Insanity where someones answer to "what car they would buy if they had a million", was a "$10k car once a week", because buying cars is more fun than owning them.

I think the last game I willingly bought at full price at release was GTA San Andreas for PS2. I spend a whole lot of time playing Civilization, so I bought Civ6 when the platinum bundle with a whole bunch of DLCs had a -50% sale, about 4 and half years after Civ6 was released. After 276 hours played I feel that was acceptable value. But for most games if the creator doesn't drop it to -90% they won't get a cent from me and that is a decision the creator is entitled to make. Of course, as everyone, I have only played a notable amount ~5% of the games in my library, so most of those cents are more like small donations to the creator.

It was a funny reminder about this when Steam had the Games Award sale on december. I owned a bunch of the game they had on the catalog, but only ones from 2016 or older. Guess if a game receives big awards the creators aren't willing to drop the price that quickly.

When I got my Quest 2 on january this actually changed a bit since I basically had to start building my VR library from scratch and ended paying prices I would never pay for flat games outside of Civ and DCS. 20€ for a game did hurt a bit.

Often I wish Steam worked with a time fee. It would probably be more convenient for me to pay 10-50 cents per hour played and have access to the full catalog.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 8, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Saukkis posted:

Often I wish Steam worked with a time fee. It would probably be more convenient for me to pay 10-50 cents per hour played and have access to the full catalog.

I know you mean well, but please never think this thought ever again.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

-90% means nothing, though. If you're only evaluating it based on the percentage off, you're liable to get scammed by somebody increasing the base prise a lot and then slapping a -90% on it. During the Steam Xmas sale right after GTAV came out, Rockstar increased the base price to 80 bucks and sold it at 25% off, right at its initial asking price. You're certainly free to do whatever you want with your money, but the laser focus on the little green number on Steam seems foolish to me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Bad Munki posted:

Curious how much it moves. Like, if I floor it in my space ship, I’d expect it to rotate me toward laying on my back, just so I can feel the push, but without motion compensation I’m going to be looking toward my toes to see forward, which is unfortunate. Unless the actual movement is subtle enough to not really notice the change in angle, which I imagine it might be, since it probably takes fairly little to have a huge impact on your senses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uueugoft-h8

This one is very similar to what my friend has, barely moves at all

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I notified VALVe about the dead pixel in the replacement Index headset they sent, and they did a reverse RMA this time and sent me a replacement first.

So far, this replacement seems fine! Here's hoping. Gotta say, pleasantly surprised with VALVe's quick response here.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I have barely used my Quest 2 since the elite strap last broke and I replaced it with a halo strap recommended here. The problem is that my IPD is 72. With the elite strap, it was still actually fine, just with a very very small sweet spot - move the headset relative to my eyes at all, and it becomes unbearably swimmy/blurry. With the halo strap, the headset moves relative to my eyes too much no matter how I wear or tighten it, so it's just not usable.

Is there another elite-style compression strap anyone here uses other than the elite strap, preferably one close to the elite but more durable?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would trade all of my 30% off coupons for 120hz mode to finally appear

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

25% off (your refresh rate).

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

🫂

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Clearly you need to gather 5 of them and arrange them in a pentagram around your Oculus Quest while making a blood sacrifice to Zuckerberg.

He's probably some kind of lizardman, so I'd suggest a Goanna or monitor lizard, rather than the traditional goat or sheep offering. You may want sturdy gloves.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Butt Discussin posted:

I have barely used my Quest 2 since the elite strap last broke and I replaced it with a halo strap recommended here. The problem is that my IPD is 72. With the elite strap, it was still actually fine, just with a very very small sweet spot - move the headset relative to my eyes at all, and it becomes unbearably swimmy/blurry. With the halo strap, the headset moves relative to my eyes too much no matter how I wear or tighten it, so it's just not usable.

Is there another elite-style compression strap anyone here uses other than the elite strap, preferably one close to the elite but more durable?

I'm partial to DAS Frankenquest

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bondematt posted:

I'm partial to DAS Frankenquest

Same. its worth it in the long run.

I'm hoping kiwi sends me the new one they have and ill let ya'll know. But really the DAS just works and won't break.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Man, that update was 5 versions ago. At this point you should just put in a support ticket.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

pun pundit posted:

-90% means nothing, though. If you're only evaluating it based on the percentage off, you're liable to get scammed by somebody increasing the base prise a lot and then slapping a -90% on it. During the Steam Xmas sale right after GTAV came out, Rockstar increased the base price to 80 bucks and sold it at 25% off, right at its initial asking price. You're certainly free to do whatever you want with your money, but the laser focus on the little green number on Steam seems foolish to me.

The percentage isn't really a deciding factor, it's more about the 5€ price that I find nice enough. In practice that means an indie game or -90%. If some indie developer raises their price to AAA level and starts selling it at -90% maybe I should reward them for their audacity.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I Expect You to Die 2 does $1M in revenue
"The VR-exclusive puzzle title, which followed up the 2016 original, made over $1 million in revenue in less than a week after its launch on August 24. "

For future reference, this means around 200 reviews in Steam + 220 in Quest gets you $1M (it depends of how less is 'less than a week'). Always supposing that unless there is a review bombing or something like that, your average game has similar ratios between user reviews and sales.
$1M revenue means selling 43,500 copies, averaging the prices between pc and quest ($23).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 9, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Turin Turambar posted:

I Expect You to Die 2 does $1M in revenue
"The VR-exclusive puzzle title, which followed up the 2016 original, made over $1 million in revenue in less than a week after its launch on August 24. "

For future reference, this means around 200 reviews in Steam + 220 in Quest gets you $1M (it depends of how less is 'less than a week'). Always supposing that unless there is a review bombing or something like that, your average game has similar ratios between user reviews and sales.
$1M revenue means selling 43,500 copies, averaging the prices between pc and quest ($23).

Any idea how that compares to how much they would have spent in dev costs?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Conventional wisdom is that the usual reviews-to-sales ratio for recent Steam releases is somewhere between 1:30 and 1:50. That would suggest 10k copies on Steam and 30k on Quest, and a Quest reviews-to-sales ratio around 1:150, all of which sound like fairly plausible numbers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raditts posted:

Any idea how that compares to how much they would have spent in dev costs?

No idea of their internal info. I don't even know how many devs they were.

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
Well, beat every level on Pistol Whip, single pistol on Hard + Bullet Hell. Quite a few of the 2089 and Smoke & Thunder levels didn't have anyone completing it yet when I did it. Also now have #1 on all the levels of 2089 and Smoke and Thunder but I don't expect that to last long. Cant keep a beat to save my life.
Recorded some videos to show my buds and they nope'd out of even trying it after seeing them. Some of the 2089 + S&T levels felt near impossible without the specific campaign gun for the levels.

New goal is to do it again without getting hit. :suicide:

I love the Bullet Hell modifier.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Walks posted:

Well, beat every level on Pistol Whip, single pistol on Hard + Bullet Hell. Quite a few of the 2089 and Smoke & Thunder levels didn't have anyone completing it yet when I did it. Also now have #1 on all the levels of 2089 and Smoke and Thunder but I don't expect that to last long. Cant keep a beat to save my life.
Recorded some videos to show my buds and they nope'd out of even trying it after seeing them. Some of the 2089 + S&T levels felt near impossible without the specific campaign gun for the levels.

I'm still working my way through to beating all the levels on hard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey Facebook take a video :P :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhyoGd5jbo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Because everyone loved Google Glass.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

It doesn't even have the good part of Google glass, the HUD.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Walks posted:

I'm envious, that game is so much fun but it gets really difficult when you start throwing in the modifiers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was struggling to keep up with Medium difficulty in Smoke and Thunder. That game is fun but it's similar to Blaston for me in that it's so goddamn exhausting to play that I just don't play it :smith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

njsykora posted:

Because everyone loved Google Glass.

This is the Snap Spectacles Facebook Version

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Weren't there Instagram glasses already, just clunky and generic looking? They looked like something you'd get from the cheap you section of dollarama

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I really wish google glass hadn't cratered. I would have happily bought one with a physical camera shutter or even no camera at all. I just wanted a cyberpunk HUD.

Imagine where AR technology would be now with years of development and hardware improvements.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Regarding Pistol Whip, before the update I remember an option to change the timing somewhat--by way of trigger sensitivity and some sort of millisecond option. Now it's gona and I feel like the timing is off for me. Is there some way to adjust it that I'm missing?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gangringo posted:

I really wish google glass hadn't cratered. I would have happily bought one with a physical camera shutter or even no camera at all. I just wanted a cyberpunk HUD.

Imagine where AR technology would be now with years of development and hardware improvements.

Google glass was never AR, it was literally just a tiny screen you could look at in the corner of your vision. It was basically a smartwatch but instead of looking at your wrist you looked up and to the side.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried one once at work, the visibility (sweet spot/fov) was terrible.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, that's what I heard. I just think if it hadn't been abandoned the tech might have become a lot better.

Maybe not AR as in a tracked extra layer on real life but context sensitive information popping up based on your location or what you are looking at. A combination of QR style codes and wireless location tagging.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a dead end, fixed HUDs are uncomfortable.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Butt Discussin posted:

I did a fair amount of research and bought this. Its just a rubber cup that loops into the default strap and provides more support and weight distribution. Way simpler than all the other add ons but it's just right for me. I can't belive they don't ship the quest 2 with something like this really.

KIWI design Headset Strap Pad for Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, Replacement for Elite Strap and Reduce Head Pressure Accessories for Quest 2 Strap and Enhanced Support and Friction, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R867J2G/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_APS1E1WKAWE7AM2JA0T3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend of mine sent me a link for this Legendary Tales game that just came out in EA, looks kinda like B&S except with AI. Price feels a bit much for now but maybe worth keeping an eye on.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Legendary Tales looks like its secret sauce is the co-op aspect, and being a fantasy SWAT team :haw:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Didn't Google Glass users get beat up a bunch because people didn't like being filmed by them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't Google Glass users get beat up a bunch because people didn't like being filmed by them?

Yes, there were a load of bars and public places in general that banned them for that exact reason since there was no external indication that they were filming. I think the original Snapchat glasses got around that by having massive light up rings at the sides and also by not having anyone actually buy them.