Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy who created John Rambo wrote the novelization of the movie adaptation of his novel. Must have been weird.

Reminds me of how the author of the book that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was very loosely adapted from ended up liking the movie better than his own book so he ended up writing a sequel novel to the movie rather than his own book

Tulip posted:

BitD TV show is a pretty easy sell, seeing as BitD is, above all else, "Leverage set in Thief" so it's a pretty proven formula. What other systems would you want to see get a screen adaptation? My gut says Paranoia but my brain says that the things that make it fun to play are more about improv than anything else. I would watch the gently caress out of a melodramatic Polaris.

AW doesn't count because we already got Fury Road, though I guess "More Fury Road" is an extremely good thing.

Blue Rose would be an easy one to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of how the author of the book that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was very loosely adapted from ended up liking the movie better than his own book so he ended up writing a sequel novel to the movie rather than his own book
That happens quite a bit.

The written sequel to Forrest Gump was done as a sequel to the movie, not the original novel. Presumably the author figured that 98% of the people picking it up would be expecting the story to continue from the movie's continuity and not the much more obscure book's.

The sequels to 2001:A Space Odyssey largely followed off of the movie, not the original novel. The novel had the monolith of the surface of one of Saturn's moons, the movie had it floating in orbit around Jupiter. The sequel books had the monolith orbiting Jupiter.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 1, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And the not-very-good Blade Runner 2 was not just a sequel to the movie rather than the book, but had the movie exist in-universe.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

F.A.T.A.L - A Quibi original

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FMguru posted:

The sequels to 2001:A Space Odyssey largely followed off of the movie, not the original novel. The novel had the monolith of the surface of one of Saturn's moons, the movie had it floating in orbit around Jupiter. The sequel books had the monolith orbiting Jupiter.

2001 is a weird one, since Clarke's book was released after the movie, which was a cooperative venture between Clarke and Kubrick. So in many ways Clarke wrote a loose adaption of the film he'd helped written, and then wrote sequels to the film. And one of those sequels was adapted into a film.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tulip posted:

BitD TV show is a pretty easy sell, seeing as BitD is, above all else, "Leverage set in Thief" so it's a pretty proven formula. What other systems would you want to see get a screen adaptation? My gut says Paranoia but my brain says that the things that make it fun to play are more about improv than anything else. I would watch the gently caress out of a melodramatic Polaris.

AW doesn't count because we already got Fury Road, though I guess "More Fury Road" is an extremely good thing.

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant, OP.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

FMguru posted:

Kubrik and Clarke were both writing their own versions of 2001 contemporaneously, based on a story treatment they collaborated on (which was partly based on a previous Clarke short story he wrote in the 50s). The film actually premiered a few weeks before the novel was published.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

That happens quite a bit.

The written sequel to Forrest Gump was done as a sequel to the movie, not the original novel. Presumably the author figured that 98% of the people picking it up would be expecting the story to continue from the movie's continuity and not the much more obscure book's.

Not quite the same but Ian Malcolm was very dead at the end of Jurassic Park the book, but was so popular in the film that he's alive again in the sequel with 0 explanation bar someone saying they thought he was dead and him saying "nope".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Splicer posted:

Not quite the same but Ian Malcolm was very dead at the end of Jurassic Park the book, but was so popular in the film that he's alive again in the sequel with 0 explanation bar someone saying they thought he was dead and him saying "nope".

life uh finds a way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

Kubrik and Clarke were both writing their own versions of 2001 contemporaneously, based on a story treatment they collaborated on (which was partly based on a previous Clarke short story he wrote in the 50s). The film actually premiered a few weeks before the novel was published.

Kubrick was very good at doing that auteur thing of not giving a poo poo about the original writer's ideas, as famously shown in The Shining. This posed a problem when Mike Flanagan wanted to adapt Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's sequel to the Shining, as Doctor Sleep itself depends pretty heavily on the original climax of the Shining. Flanagan was open about having to stick to Kubrick's The Shining, as that was the big movie version most viewers were aware of.

So what did he do?

In Flanagan's Doctor Sleep, the climax is the climax from King's original Shining novel. Both books climax at the Overlook, but in the first novel the Overlook is blown to pieces. In Doctor Sleep, Danny is helped by the spirits of the trapped dead of the Overlook to kill Rose the Hat. In the movie adaptation, the spirits instead guide Danny to blow up the Overlook himself, killing Rose the Hat and putting everything to rest. It's not perfect, but it's a drat smart way to tie things back together the same way King did in the novel.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Flaggy posted:

Any threads for Starfinder? Planning on playing a game soon, wanted to read up on it.

There used to be a Starfinder thread, but since it (iirc) fell into archives the Pathfinder thread is probably the best place for Starfinder chat. It isn't the most popular system around here, but if nothing else someone should be able to answer any questions.

EDIT: The Pathfinder thread, which is over here. Also, right now the most recent topic of discussion in the thread is how one of Paizo's designers had a seizure and is now drowning in medical debt, so go toss some money at his GoFundMe if you can.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 2, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/02/pre-order-horizon-forbidden-west-now-collectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/
This is video game news mostly, but if you read through the posting a little bit and click through to their FAQ...

quote:

What is Strike (piece)?

Strike is the board game played by inhabitants of the world of Horizon. It is played with carved wooden and metal pieces in the shapes of machines. Aloy will be introduced to Strike in Horizon Forbidden West and she can challenge many different NPCs to a match.

Rip Jimbozig

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
oh no owned

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
can't wait to ask jimbozig why their game based on the horizon zero west minigame is such a bad adaptation

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
While funny, the fact that they're making and selling physical copies of this is kind of legitimately bad news for jimbozig from a business/SEO perspective as this game is going to dominate results for Strike-related searches in a tabletopcontext.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KingKalamari posted:

While funny, the fact that they're making and selling physical copies of this is kind of legitimately bad news for jimbozig from a business/SEO perspective as this game is going to dominate results for Strike-related searches in a tabletopcontext.

Time for a C&D imo.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm thinking of doing a one-shot RPG session in October that's basically going to be "hey let's play an RPG version of Vampire Hunter D", any suggestions on best system to use for this?
Kinda late to the party, but since it's not October yet, I'm going to strongly suggest The Dawnline which is basically Vampire Hunter D x Ryuutama.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I wonder what class/role combo Aloy will play.

KingKalamari posted:

Hah, yeah, but Strike has been dogshit for SEO from the start. You can google "Strike RPG" and get my page at the top, but try searching for it on Drivethru - it's not good!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have actively looked for Strike RPG before and have never found it. I love it, but the name leaves so much to be desired. No offense Jimbozig, but from a business perspective that's a terrible name.

No, don't ask me about BobaPearlEssence.com that's different, I'm bad on purpose.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Hah, yeah, but Strike has been dogshit for SEO from the start. You can google "Strike RPG" and get my page at the top, but try searching for it on Drivethru - it's not good!

It's not great, but it's not the worst.

There is a new Actual Play podcast for Call of Cthulhu called The Call. It's *somewhat challenging* to google.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

Call up Ronnie and make an expansion called Whomp

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Megazver posted:

It's not great, but it's not the worst.

The worst would be Panty Explosion.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cannibal Smiley posted:

The worst would be Panty Explosion.

They know, it was changed to "Tokyo Brain Pop" after a few editions of being famous for being called Panty Explosion and not being about panty explosions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

I also agree Glorantha deserves way more media and exposure.

I can't imagine what a good version would look like but I would love to see it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't imagine what a good version would look like but I would love to see it.

What Glorantha really needs is a series of good power progression novels. Something like Will Wight Cradle series, but with experimental heroquesting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Haystack posted:

What Glorantha really needs is a series of good power progression novels. Something like Will Wight Cradle series, but with experimental heroquesting.

What it really needs is for Prince of Sartar to stop being dead and be an active web comic again

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

What it really needs is for Prince of Sartar to stop being dead and be an active web comic again

I can say with 100% confidence and authority that that's never happening.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Haystack posted:

I can say with 100% confidence and authority that that's never happening.

Why is that exactly?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Haystack posted:

power progression novels

poo poo I didn't have time to learn about this existing.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Why is that exactly?

The author ghosted the project, and the artist doesn't work with Chaosium anymore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

The original plan was to do the book first, because they thought the relative freedom of the novel-as-medium would let them play around with concepts and worry about how to make a film out of it later. But yeah it ended up being a sort of parallel development, mostly due to practical considerations of actually needing to start working on the film.

Clarke did visit one of the sets and remarked- not even in a critical way- that one of them reminded him of a Chinese restaurant, which Kubrick naturally took as a cue to tear down the whole thing and rebuild it because he'd clearly done something wrong.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone know where I can get a good ninja/samurai miniature for D&D? I'm not actually playing a samurai but it probably most closely approximates what I'm going for: a simple traveling ranger with a wooden staff and a wide straw hat. (Even better if it has a beehive hanging from the end, but I don't expect to find that.)

Something like this:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a few straw hat and wooden staff figures here, but they come in a bundle.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

moths posted:

There's a few straw hat and wooden staff figures here, but they come in a bundle.

Have you (or anyone here) played that game (Test of Honor) and is it any good? What's the basic rundown of gameplay? the figures look pretty rad, and a Samurai historical or fantasy game sounds pretty neat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't, but I'll point you at the historicals thread. This specific linked post is a goldmine of feudal Japanese combat knowledge.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been getting into Dark Souls again. Some times people talk about rpgs inspired by the Souls games and usually it's the game itself, but what about a game set in the time sbefore everyone was dead? There's all those factions dealing with the Undead Curse in different ways, works better for a ttrpg than when they're all insane or dead and it's all empty.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Would any of you all have any recommendations for a pretty noob friendly detective/possibly horror-ish setting/system to run? Couple of friends and I have been tossing around the idea, but none of us have ever done a tabletop RPG before. Ideally something that is relatively mechanically simple and won’t require buying a ton of stuff to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I mean Call of Cthulhu is simple enough.