Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

wolrah posted:

Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.

Normally I'd just go around it, but this seems like an area where not compromising the weather seal would be important.

I installed a backup camera on my MS3 beneath the wing. It turns out to not be the greatest camera angle since the rear glass is in the picture but it at least helps me check that no one is behind me before I turn my head to back out.

I had to drill a second hole on the top of the hatch to route the wire, and then I stuffed the hole with some butyl rubber stuff to try and make it water tight. Running the wire is fairly easy to stuff between the headliner and trim, or alternatively under the carpet and door sills without popping anything off. Should be fairly similar for the ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean that Ford notoriously beefed the paint application on pre-2017 FiSTs and mine has a couple of bald spots back there that the PO had clearcoated over. I was curious about yours.
Ah, well I don't have any paint problems I'm aware of other than those I've caused myself, but I'm also not exactly a "keep the car shiny" person so I may not be aware of it if it's more subtle.

MetaJew posted:

I installed a backup camera on my MS3 beneath the wing. It turns out to not be the greatest camera angle since the rear glass is in the picture but it at least helps me check that no one is behind me before I turn my head to back out.
I'm using the same handle replacement as this DIY guide here: https://imgur.com/gallery/wZe8l#a6Vlune which seems to offer a decent enough view, if not exactly OEM grade. I'm just having a lot more trouble than that person getting things to actually go through the narrow passages.

quote:

I had to drill a second hole on the top of the hatch to route the wire, and then I stuffed the hole with some butyl rubber stuff to try and make it water tight. Running the wire is fairly easy to stuff between the headliner and trim, or alternatively under the carpet and door sills without popping anything off. Should be fairly similar for the ST.
Yeah once I get it inside the car it'll be pretty easy, right now I'm just trying to bridge the gap from the innards of the hatch to the headliner area.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

wolrah posted:

Yeah once I get it inside the car it'll be pretty easy, right now I'm just trying to bridge the gap from the innards of the hatch to the headliner area.

Gotcha. Yeah that does look hard and very, very frustrating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey hatch people. I was holding out on getting my next car until the 2022 WRX was shown off. It was, I became disappointed and am looking elsewhere.

The plan as of this moment is to check out the 2022 GTI SE as soon as I can get my hands on it. I haven’t driven a GTI in the better part of a decade and haven’t followed them since. Modern GTI daily drivers: how is it? I have a 2019 Forester and like the creature comforts but I miss when my daily was more fun to drive. Also Forester resale values are LOL and I can get way more for it than I think it’s worth.

Am I looking in the right place?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

Hey hatch people. I was holding out on getting my next car until the 2022 WRX was shown off. It was, I became disappointed and am looking elsewhere.

The plan as of this moment is to check out the 2022 GTI SE as soon as I can get my hands on it. I haven’t driven a GTI in the better part of a decade and haven’t followed them since. Modern GTI daily drivers: how is it? I have a 2019 Forester and like the creature comforts but I miss when my daily was more fun to drive. Also Forester resale values are LOL and I can get way more for it than I think it’s worth.

The consensus seems to be that the outgoing Mk 7.5 GTI (2018-2021) is arguably as good or better, so maybe look at those on the used market and save some dough?

I was looking at Mk 7s in general before I found them too pricey in the current bubble market for what I was willing to spend vs new. Price was keeping me to pre-2018 Mk 7s but the post-facelift model is definitely superior in my book.

All resale values are LOL right now, as are new car prices, so temper your enthusiasm with some research as to what’s really out there in your area and what it really costs. Dealers in my area were asking $22-25k for 2017 GTIs in July, $26-32k for used 2018-2020 models, and I can only imagine how bad it is now.

If you can handle waiting, there appear to be some really great cars coming in 2022. Even something like a Sport Touring 2022 Civic Hatch, to say nothing of the Si/Type R, or the Hyundai N cars, new 86/BRZ, etc.

VW reliability is about on par with Subaru, right? Is that unfair to Subaru?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

I like this video on the Mk.8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbPHp6QfkQ

I would say look for a Mk 7.5, but I priced mine through KBB and it is up to like 30k now, so pretty crazy pricing, but the 2019s had a six year warranty, so if you find a deal on one, you will still have maybe four full years depending on when they were bought. If you get an 7.5 SE, I would look for the Fender audio since it also comes with DCC which makes the ride a lot nicer. Not much else to say, it's a great all around car and fun to drive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I have my eye on several of the 22’s but for the 86/Supra/brz type cars I’d have to pass in favor of a sedan.

I am watching my local area and buying used or off the lot is all nuts, assuming the lot even has anything but I’m still looking. There are next to no MK7.5’s. I’m not in a rush to buy, more so just wanting to test drive when I can. My current car runs fine and I have a motorcycle I can get by with for a few months if I decide to sell while waiting for an order of some kind (I live close to work, hardly ever have to drive in and have groceries available in my neighborhood.)

More than anything else at the moment I adore how the GTI looks. That silver metallic with plaid seats? Oof.

Edit: wow I didn’t see in anything yet that EVERY button is capacitive. Yikes.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 13, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

VW reliability is about on par with Subaru, right? Is that unfair to Subaru?

no, subaru is not reliable even though somehow they've gotten a reasonably decent reputation despite themselves. they're both a little fiddly to work on (but in different ways) as well.

Rolo posted:

I am watching my local area and buying used or off the lot is all nuts, assuming the lot even has anything but I’m still looking. There are next to no MK7.5’s. I’m not in a rush to buy, more so just wanting to test drive when I can. My current car runs fine and I have a motorcycle I can get by with for a few months if I decide to sell while waiting for an order of some kind (I live close to work, hardly ever have to drive in and have groceries available in my neighborhood.)

if you don't need a car wait 24 months

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rolo posted:

Edit: wow I didn’t see in anything yet that EVERY button is capacitive. Yikes.

Yeah, it’s a super bummer. I get great deals on VWs through work but I’m not looking to get rid of my 17 any time soon because of it. I can say from personal experience that they’re absolute blasts to drive in your neck of the woods, though I’m not sure how well they’d hold up in the snow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I’m in North Carolina. I’m good all year with front wheel. I’m just gonna have to sit in it cause a rough volume control or steering wheel controls is a big bummer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can anyone speak to what the CTR is like in the snow? Looking at that and a Mk 7.5 Golf R, which I understand to be just Haldex - so I'm not sure how great it is either.

blk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
As someone whose spent most of his life in Maine and NH, if you're going to be driving in the snow, snow tires are probably a better first bet than worrying about FWD/RWD/AWD and just getting some practice in. I'm probably in the minority of people that doesn't like the reliance on AWD in colder climates, it's nice to have, but if I could do fine in snow in my honda fit and gti, I'm sure those'll be fine.

Also I have a mighty want for a 22 BRZ/86, but probably shouldn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

blk posted:

Can anyone speak to what the CTR is like in the snow? Looking at that and a Mk 7.5 Golf R, which I understand to be just Haldex - so I'm not sure how great it is either.

We get some snow in the DC area and the winter tires are fine to drive it all winter. The front splitter is kind of low so you may have to dig out your driveway more than another car, but get good winter tires and don't drive like an idiot and it'll be fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

As someone whose spent most of his life in Maine and NH, if you're going to be driving in the snow, snow tires are probably a better first bet than worrying about FWD/RWD/AWD and just getting some practice in. I'm probably in the minority of people that doesn't like the reliance on AWD in colder climates, it's nice to have, but if I could do fine in snow in my honda fit and gti, I'm sure those'll be fine.

Also I have a mighty want for a 22 BRZ/86, but probably shouldn't.

Dailied an E36 in MA/NH/ME for like 5 years—aside from learning how to compensate for a slide you get some snow tires and that’s p much it. Maybe put some weight in the back.

Aside from 3 years with a CRV all my cars have been FWD/RWD

Between 86 & BRZ which one would you get?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
AWD doesn't help you stop any better, but snow tires do.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dailied an E36 in MA/NH/ME for like 5 years—aside from learning how to compensate for a slide you get some snow tires and that’s p much it. Maybe put some weight in the back.

Aside from 3 years with a CRV all my cars have been FWD/RWD

Between 86 & BRZ which one would you get?

I'd have to go with the BRZ just for the WR Blue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'd have to go with the BRZ just for the WR Blue.

It’s arguably the better car from the factory

But that face....

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s arguably the better car from the factory

But that face....

I don't think it's bad, I don't like the shape of the trunk, but the upside of driving one is that I don't have to look at either too much. Also, I'm too stubborn to wear my glasses while I'm at home, so I won't even have to see it!

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

blk posted:

I put 'performance' winter tires on my 2020 CTR and it will absolutely plow atleast an inch of snow with the front splitter. Appeared to be about 5 inches on the roads at the time. Good LSD with even mediocre winter tires and it feels unstoppable. That said, I am always nervous that one of those miniboulders you get in the city will damage the front trim, but that hasn't ever actually been a problem.

Tires are the Vredstein Wintrac Pro, if I recall. They are very much a dry/wet cold weather tire, not a snow tire, but it's been more than enough between Philly and Boston winters with the CTR.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Winter tires will make almost anything a beast in snow. It's that simple. I've driven my M3 into the mountains in winter to go snowboarding. My Prius shrugged off a blizzard earlier this year. My GTI got me into and out of the mountains through some pretty crazy storms multiple times.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Unless you're climbing steep unmaintained hills weather-appropriate tires and enough ground clearance are all you need. That'd be my main concern with a CTR, if you're plowing snow you are a lot more likely to get stuck.

Also you may be limited on how small of wheels you can put on one of those, and with winter tires you generally want to run the smallest wheels your brakes allow for to get the most sidewall to absorb potholes and save money on the tires themselves.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
yeah the main concern with the type r in the winter is the wheel size and finding tires that fit, imo. They’re stock 20s, and iirc the suspension geometry gets fucky if you put anything lower than 18s on it—even 18s may cause some issues (tbh i stopped looking into this when i saw used type Rs going for north of msrp).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Head Bee Guy posted:

yeah the main concern with the type r in the winter is the wheel size and finding tires that fit, imo. They’re stock 20s, and iirc the suspension geometry gets fucky if you put anything lower than 18s on it—even 18s may cause some issues (tbh i stopped looking into this when i saw used type Rs going for north of msrp).
AFAIK suspension geometry shouldn't care about the wheel size itself unless parts are physically running in to each other but the wheel offset certainly matters to the steering geometry.

The front brake calipers are almost always the limiting factor for how small of a wheel you can run, with some cars being so tight that you can't just assume anything of the right diameter, bolt pattern, and offset will fit.

Tire Rack offers pages of 18" wheels for CTRs so it looks like they're not too picky about it, and winter tires actually aren't too bad for it. The popular budget champion Altimax Arctics can be had for a bit over $150 a piece or you have your choice of all the other major brands around $200 give or take $25. If the level of ground clearance would work with the level of snow and plowing the roads you drive on get, I say go for it. My Fiesta ST is a riot in the snow.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I see one 2022 veloster N DCT in transit within 75 mi, called dealer who claims they'll hold it so I can have "first right of refusal" after a credit score check. They also want to (aka know they can get away with) charge $4,500 over MSRP since there's a shortage and "we don't know if we are getting this again".

I guess I'll give it a test drive but uh, not sure how I feel about that markup. Dealers... man :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I order something for MSRP or am I gonna get told “lmao no”

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

wolrah posted:

AFAIK suspension geometry shouldn't care about the wheel size itself unless parts are physically running in to each other but the wheel offset certainly matters to the steering geometry.

The front brake calipers are almost always the limiting factor for how small of a wheel you can run, with some cars being so tight that you can't just assume anything of the right diameter, bolt pattern, and offset will fit.

Tire Rack offers pages of 18" wheels for CTRs so it looks like they're not too picky about it, and winter tires actually aren't too bad for it. The popular budget champion Altimax Arctics can be had for a bit over $150 a piece or you have your choice of all the other major brands around $200 give or take $25. If the level of ground clearance would work with the level of snow and plowing the roads you drive on get, I say go for it. My Fiesta ST is a riot in the snow.

It really is the ridiculous front brakes, along with the slightly unusual bolt pattern that limits wheel selection. Still, plenty of 18" wheels fit, so we were able to get 8 lightweight wheels for just over a grand. The extra sidewall basically made the Sport mode equivalent to the old Comfort mode in terms of ride quality with no loss in traction.

Steering feels slightly heavier with the reduced wheel offset, but torque steer is still pretty minimal. As far as I can tell, there's no downside whatsoever to the smaller wheel diameter.

Keep in mind, 5 inches of unplowed snow on the road is highly unusual. I believe the front splitter is about 6 inches off the ground.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

my veloster n got totaled by a (likely) drunk driver and boy does buying a car fuckin suck right now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

It really is the ridiculous front brakes, along with the slightly unusual bolt pattern that limits wheel selection. Still, plenty of 18" wheels fit, so we were able to get 8 lightweight wheels for just over a grand. The extra sidewall basically made the Sport mode equivalent to the old Comfort mode in terms of ride quality with no loss in traction.

Steering feels slightly heavier with the reduced wheel offset, but torque steer is still pretty minimal. As far as I can tell, there's no downside whatsoever to the smaller wheel diameter.

Keep in mind, 5 inches of unplowed snow on the road is highly unusual. I believe the front splitter is about 6 inches off the ground.

I got annoyed with the rubber bands on the dubs and after I damaged two of the wheels from driving on the poorly maintained roads around Our Nation's Capital I got the FK2 19s, same geometry except for the smaller diameter. I have 18s for the winter and they fit over the brakes just fine. I don't think you'll get 17s over them, though.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Rolo posted:

Ymmv, I was told by a Hyundai dealer “2022 velo n aren’t out yet” and “you can order a car of choice through hyundaiusa .com” where there’s zero option to do so.

OTOH, I recall being interested in the M2 comp earlier in the year, emailing the local bmw who had 0 available, but them suggesting I could “reserve a build slot” tho I never proceeded.

I think MSRP or below is gonna be tough to get for “performance” unless it’s old inventory, but this is just an opinion

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

my veloster n got totaled by a (likely) drunk driver and boy does buying a car fuckin suck right now

Replacing my totaled xB (also by drunk driver) was a pain in the dick and that was right before the pandemic hit, I feel sorry for anyone that needs a car these days, especially if you are looking for anything really specific like a Veloster N.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I might try to order a Golf R or GTI SE and take it as a sign from god if one is significantly easier to actually get. Been watching videos and I can deal with the touch capacitive stuff. Everything else seems fine as long as I can make it boot into CarPlay by default.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've been driving my mom's 2020 GTI SE since the wreck which I actually like quite a lot and may have convinced me that I could live with an automatic

I was looking for GTIs and Golf Rs the past few days and there's basically no stock within like 200 miles other than a few high mileage or heavily modified; pretty much everything is online now which I'm still kinda wary of

Eventually found a 2019 Autobahn on Vroom in Great Falls Green which is by far my favorite GTI color. Was about to pull the trigger and the payment page on the website is just busted and won't let me click anything. Started googling and it seems that Vroom is probably the sketchiest of the online dealers and some horror stories had me looking around a bit more

Glad I did because I found a perfectly specced 2018 S3 (ara blue, black optics, seat and sound system upgrades, magnetic ride) with low mileage and a not too terrible price and immediately jumped on it. Just crossing my fingers waiting for delivery

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 16, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

More likely laughed at first, then lol no. It would be worth your time to see if your airline or whatever has a partnership with VDub or whoever. If so they you’re in business. I can get 500 less than invoice price through work and my understanding is that’s their standard thing. That of course assumes that the dealer is choosing to honor it, which quite a few don’t around here, though that may just be our buddy Hendrick being a dickhead.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Lol there's a type-R at the local dealership. They apparently won't let me (or anyone) test drive the car, as the "purists want the lowest mileage example".

I can't imagine buying a car without a test drive. 5k over MSRP too. Good times!

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Honda dealers are so defensive about the Type Rs to the point where I just stopped even bothering with the car. The most egregious was when I was told that they wanted to pull my credit report and put money down before the test drive to “prevent joyriders”. Lol ok then

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Warbird posted:

More likely laughed at first, then lol no. It would be worth your time to see if your airline or whatever has a partnership with VDub or whoever. If so they you’re in business. I can get 500 less than invoice price through work and my understanding is that’s their standard thing. That of course assumes that the dealer is choosing to honor it, which quite a few don’t around here, though that may just be our buddy Hendrick being a dickhead.

I’m actually corporate but some of our clients are “name on the dealership” guys.

Guess I’ll start with them next time they’re in the back.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My Honda dealership experience was showing up to check out a 4 door Civic Si but forgot to confirm on the phone and they didn't have one on hand (didn't offer a 2 door test drive so don't know if they even for sure had one?) - said hey in the meantime check out this used Sport, but couldn't find the key. I kinda asked about the R sitting there but they basically said nah it was too expensive for me and kept going. Called me back a few days later after presumably they found/made a key, I said cool but what about an Si, said yeah hang on let me see and call you right back; never heard from them again. Fun stuff. Ended up test driving one at a Subaru dealership and buying a GTI instead.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah the hyundai dealerships wouldnt let me drive the veloster n until I agreed on a price and was about to start signing lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’m actually corporate but some of our clients are “name on the dealership” guys.

Guess I’ll start with them next time they’re in the back.

Yeah if you can swing that then you’re in good. Maybe you’ll get lucky and haul one of the Hickory or WinstonSalem magnates around; idk who the local baron is in your town. Wouldn’t hurt to look around your intranet though, you’d be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

dk2m posted:

Honda dealers are so defensive about the Type Rs to the point where I just stopped even bothering with the car. The most egregious was when I was told that they wanted to pull my credit report and put money down before the test drive to “prevent joyriders”. Lol ok then

That was my experience as well. I went and drove a used one at a Dodge dealership. Paid 500 over Mark because lol pandemic.