Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gundam wing rules. i refuse to call it so bad it's good because so much of why it's funny outside of its bizarre pacing comes from its super theatrical stylings that mean everyone spends every moment acting as dramatically as possible. everyone is constantly delivering absolutely ridiculous speeches and lines like they're the most normal thing in the world, and one character's entire arc is delivered through people around him randomly killing themselves because it's the only way they can think of to give him faith in justice. it is worth watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I totally get why yall like Wing and its Sorkin-esque always on drama poo poo but man it's just kinda cringe and I can't get past it enough to enjoy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you watching it with the English dub? That's half the fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That Works posted:

I totally get why yall like Wing and its Sorkin-esque always on drama poo poo but man it's just kinda cringe and I can't get past it enough to enjoy.

Cringe is funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why the hell are you watching anime if the idea of a story being dramatically goofy is "cringe"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wing is one of the best gundam series

its also 100% aware of what its doing. theres way too many intentional and subtle jokes for it to be 'unintentional' or whatever. like the running gag with treize telling literally everyone who works with him that they're the only person who understands him. he says it to like five different people.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Cringe is funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would you say that Wing is a 50 episode long shitpost?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The three beats are, of course, "Wing sucks!", "Wing is ironically good", and "Wing is good"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Would you say that Wing is a 50 episode long shitpost?
no its just a good anime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would watch half an episode of Gundam Wing on Toonami and not have a god drat idea what anybody was talking about and assume it was just really complex and deep and then go play video games instead. This is the true experience.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
as a tween, i was upset when toonarmi replaced gundam wing reruns with something called big o

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

wing is one of the best gundam series

its also 100% aware of what its doing. theres way too many intentional and subtle jokes for it to be 'unintentional' or whatever. like the running gag with treize telling literally everyone who works with him that they're the only person who understands him. he says it to like five different people.

i'm not entirely sure that everything wing does is intentional but certainly some good 60% of it is and that makes laughing at it feel much more good hearted

my favorite running gag is how half the things treize says are borderline incomprehensible. towards the end of the sanc kingdom arc heero goes to his forest castle and the conversation they have is like watching 2 aliens put on human suits to perform a play they don't understand, and i love that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The Leo is one of the greatest fodder mobile suits in existence and I love that Hiro kept trying to suicide blow up his own gundam and then did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

This blew my mind when I first saw it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The Leo is one of the greatest fodder mobile suits in existence and I love that Hiro kept trying to suicide blow up his own gundam and then did.

It shocked the writers, too.

The director thought it would be badass, and they had to scramble to make the plot fit. One of the writers compared the process unfavorably to his time having to do weekly Naruto filler. (A rather rough job itself.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I haven't watched Wing since I was in grade school

I should probably correct that at some point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is High Rise Invasion worth a look or am I better off watching something dumb like The Belko Experiment or Office Uprising?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jerkface posted:

FOOOOOOOOOOOOLS!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Is High Rise Invasion worth a look or am I better off watching something dumb like The Belko Experiment or Office Uprising?

I read like, 100? chapters of it a few years ago, it's pretty much what you'd expect of the kinda edgy survival game genre. I cannot imagine the anime will come to a satisfying conclusion though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I don't like the word "good" anymore because people try and quantify all that poo poo.

Gundam Wing is entertaining.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

I don't like the word "good" anymore because people try and quantify all that poo poo.

Gundam Wing is entertaining.

面白い

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I got into Gundam a few months ago when we had a watch-a-thon of the original on discord, and I think Wing is one of my favorite, but in an entertaining way, I don't know what makes something good anymore when irony exists lmao.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

G Gundam is my personal favourite Gundam. IBO is second place.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt expect... to unironically like gundam wing...

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I still have a very soft spot for Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket as a short "gently caress war, war sucks rear end" story. I like those.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is Two Mix still around, I listened to a shitload of their music when I was a teen weeb because of Gundam Wing. White Reflection is still rad as heck.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mentat Radnor posted:

I still have a very soft spot for Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket as a short "gently caress war, war sucks rear end" story. I like those.

War in the Pocket is great. It knows exactly what it wants to accomplish and doesn't mess around and I probably remember it most vividly out of every Gundam thing as a result

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is Two Mix still around, I listened to a shitload of their music when I was a teen weeb because of Gundam Wing. White Reflection is still rad as heck.

Their last new album was 2009, but they're intermittently releasing singles and doing compositions for other acts. And they released a best-of album this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJYlLrov9M

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

two mix appear on conan again

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
semi-related, the never-localized gundam wing fighting game, Endless Duel, is pretty great especially for a licensed SNES fighter

heavyarms has the best music, of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1uJb6itOG8

I like how it just wallops people with the barrel of the chaingun

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My fav part in Gundam Wing is when the Heavyarms guy applies for a circus job

My dude brought his fake resume but didn't put any circus related stuff on it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I thought I remembered a multi-cour silly fantasy show from a year maybe two ago but I’m having trouble finding it. In my mind it was ‘I thought I told you to make my abilities average in the next life’ but that is only one cour.

I unno why I’ve gotten this bug in my brain about finding it but I’ve watched a bunch of fantasy stuff from the last year or so and it’s been pretty good. Princess Connect Redive, Make Me Average Next Life, I Maxed Out My Defense. These kinds of things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

My fav part in Gundam Wing is when the Heavyarms guy applies for a circus job

My dude brought his fake resume but didn't put any circus related stuff on it

Maybe it's his real resume.

It mostly consists of variants on "freelance terrorist".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kater posted:

I thought I remembered a multi-cour silly fantasy show from a year maybe two ago but I’m having trouble finding it. In my mind it was ‘I thought I told you to make my abilities average in the next life’ but that is only one cour.

I unno why I’ve gotten this bug in my brain about finding it but I’ve watched a bunch of fantasy stuff from the last year or so and it’s been pretty good. Princess Connect Redive, Make Me Average Next Life, I Maxed Out My Defense. These kinds of things.

Konosuba?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kater posted:

iruma-kun? mahoujin guruguru 2017? those are the only multi cour ones i can think of from recently. endro was 1 cour but is a cute girls rpg fantasy thing like the ones you listed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Iruma is a good recommendation in general.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There's also Dragon Quest: The Legend of Dai and Radiant. But also seconding iruma-kun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Carole & Tuesday a good Watanabe show?