Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

drk posted:

Supposed capture of the blog before they deleted everything:

You see, our customers aren't "investing", they're lending in exchange for interest payments

I imagine their lawyer running into their office yelling "gently caress gently caress gently caress" to tell them to delete this like that crow-lawyer comic.

Maybe their lawyer is that crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zero One posted:

I imagine their lawyer running into their office yelling "gently caress gently caress gently caress" to tell them to delete this like that crow-lawyer comic.

Maybe their lawyer is that crow.

They basically redefine it in their own terms in such a way that it probably still falls under the legal definition of a security. They've screwed themselves over here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Animal control picked up the tiger living in my inner city apartment today. Told me it was an illegal exotic animal. I asked them how could I make it not exotic and just got a blank stare. Animal control invites us to the table but where's the dialog?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not holding my breath for any meaningful enforcement action from the SEC.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Strong Sauce posted:

evergrande is imploding right now.

"Evergrande" sounds like something you can order at the Taco Bell in the Hogwarts student union.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They didn't delete anything, the link to their Medium is just hosed. It's still right here.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know your regulatory agency is cucked when it just threatens to sue, lmao

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ad by Khad posted:

there's currently a huge banking sector crisis in afghanistan and the banks cant open out of fear of a run on the currency

I'm dead certain coiners are going to try to argue that if they could use bitcoin their crisis would be solved and I'm just here to get ahead of the game and say if you are a coiner who argues that you are literally supporting funding terrorists and methods to do so, thanks

the taliban afghan government is broke for good reason, printing more currency aint gonna get them around them sanctions very good
This was literally day zero of the Taliban take over on the crypto group I follow on Facebook. "If the afghans didn't have their money tied to banks then they wouldn't need to do bank runs!", Just imagine what would happen if literally millions of people tried to cash out butcoin in panic at the same time.

I'm not sure about your second point though. If whoever afghan citizens have crypto funds, selling them for dollars and transfering them to an online account like PayPal or Payoneer would be a viable option to get some dollars in a crumbling economy.

The problem would be living in Afghanistan and having your money tied to online services, which seems to be a major issue right now.

Bleusilences posted:

If bitcoin goes down under 10k there is no way up, I hope that happen so all this crap can finally stop.

It was funny a few years ago but now it is just upsetting how much the regulators and politiciens are asleep at the wheel.
If bitcoin loses even 20k, that would just draw a metric ton of people to go all in on buying the dip.

This Ponzi scheme is as big as Herbalife right now, unless coinbase, binance and whatever else are literally shutdown, it'll never be over.

We'll never have decently priced graphics cards again.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mans posted:

We'll never have decently priced graphics cards again.

Intel is making their own graphics card and should be released later this year or beginning of next. So hopefully it drives prices down.

Hopefully. :negative:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
More amusing commentary on Coinbase: Coinbase gets a wells notice and decides to dig up

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Durzel posted:

A friend of mine alerted me to this - "Loot for Adventurers" https://opensea.io/collection/lootproject

Now, I don't get NFTs at the best of times, but as I understand it this website basically sells people a collection of nouns, verbs, abverbs and adjectives which make up virtual RPG drops. What game is this for? It doesn't exist. What about the stats, or the rarity, that's pretty important right? No, the project considers that "stats, images, and other functionality are intentionally omitted for others to interpret".

This stuff is apparently selling for multiples of ETH, $30k+ is not uncommon.

Can someone tell me whether there's a part of my brain missing that simply does not understand how, why or what this is? Are these things just a money laundering front, are people selling these things to themselves to try and attract a greater idiot who is seduced by the apparent appreciation in value to buy it?

I can understand the basic premise of cryptos, in terms of the whole "blockchain solves everything!" stuff, even if I don't buy into it or fully grasp it, but NFTs - I feel like I am missing something fundamental that explains why this poo poo is selling for actual real money.

EDIT: Looks like it was mentioned on the previous page. Sorry for the repost of purestrain madness.

The answer is, as always, money laundering and selling to themselves to make it look like there's demand.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

quote:

My read of the situation is that the SEC intends to sue Coinbase regardless of whether they launch their Lend program or not – you don’t get a Wells Notice for something you are considering doing, you get one for deeds you’ve already done.

Finally, as we’ve covered before, Circle is trying to go public via a merger with Concord Acquisition Corporation, a special purpose acquisition company. If my interpretation of this morning’s fiasco is correct, I imagine getting that deal closed just became a lot more difficult. Given what I suspect is going to befall Coinbase, perhaps Circle will be smart enough to drop that effort and stay private.

I always figured that Circle-going-public-via-SPAC was their fancy version of an exit scam. Maybe that deal doesn't close now, but I doubt it'll be because they walk away voluntarily.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Zil posted:

Intel is making their own graphics card and should be released later this year or beginning of next. So hopefully it drives prices down.

I can't imagine them actually being any good, though. And wouldn't they still use the same silicon chips that there just aren't enough of?

I don't see COVID going away any time soon and that's a pretty big factor in the scalping. I think card manufacturers will probably try to get away with charging more, but when people don't bite (because they're not forced to like they are right now) then they'll likely need to drop back to a reasonable price in order to sell enough to keep money coming in.

Unless they go full on Games Workshop and perpetually increase their prices to make up for people no longer buying, I guess

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I don't have anything citable, but the Chinese paper theory is based on strong rumours (for what that's worth), not throwing darts at current news stories

Bitfinexed does have going for him an excellent track record of apparently wild claims that turn out to have been 100% true, so

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

divabot posted:

Bitfinexed does have going for him an excellent track record of apparently wild claims that turn out to have been 100% true, so

“Wild claims?” On Bitcoiin Twitter? Surely you jest.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i am so sick of this loving dog meme... like please just gently caress off

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Audit passed!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Audit passed!

I got curious as to what an "audit" of a silly shitcoin scheme looks like, and I was not disappointed:

quote:

Conclusion

In this audit, we thoroughly analyzed BurnDoge Smart Contract. The current code base is well organized but there are promptly some low-level issues found in this phase of Smart Contract Audit.

Meanwhile, we need to emphasize that smart contracts as a whole are still in an early, but exciting stage of development. To improve this report, we greatly appreciate any constructive feedbacks or suggestions, on our methodology, audit findings, or potential gaps in scope/coverage.

Hey y'all, Smart Contract Auditors here, we'd appreciate some feedback on what our job is supposed to be, let us know if we forgot to look at something, or whatever

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hyper-deflationary currency sounds like a nightmare, what's the use case as medium of exchange when the creators explicitly acknowledge it rewards people who never circulate it? it's like they're not even trying to hide that it's just a vehicle for speculation for idiots. "we designed it so number only go up"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hyper-deflationary currency sounds like a nightmare, what's the use case as medium of exchange when the creators explicitly acknowledge it rewards people who never circulate it? it's like they're not even trying to hide that it's just a vehicle for speculation for idiots. "we designed it so number only go up"

The use case is for the creators to get a bunch of idiots to buy the shitcoin and then cash out once the price goes up. The creators probably have trillions of the coins and are now at the pump stage.
If you have no ethics it's a good way to make a lot of money

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Many projects have previously offered some sort of fig leaf to wider utility, in order to imbue the thing with some notional future value beyond selling for a higher price.

Even that’s too much effort now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blotto_Otter posted:

The current code base is well organized but there are promptly some low-level issues

since they're presumably talking in terms of programming, holy poo poo that's a smart way to phrase "no loving clue."

a low-level issue in a jrpg means "your stats aren't high enough." a low-level issue in code means, "we have absolutely no idea what's happening at the level of basic systems access"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fur20 posted:

since they're presumably talking in terms of programming, holy poo poo that's a smart way to phrase "no loving clue."

a low-level issue in a jrpg means "your stats aren't high enough." a low-level issue in code means, "we have absolutely no idea what's happening at the level of basic systems access"

Or like "these motherfuckers rolled their own security and we're not qualified to analyse it, but they're paying us a lot"

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
also what the gently caress does promptly mean in that sentence, why is it there

edit: ok i read the audit. it really is just some buttcoin nerds with basic software experience throwing together a word salad and doing a little quality assurance and trying to act like they're professional. "yes, this code works with this other code (as far as we can tell, we are not liable for anything we say)" but across a dozen pages for some reason. lol

audit passed!

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 9, 2021

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

You know your regulatory agency is cucked when it just threatens to sue, lmao

In fairness, almost every federal regulatory body is both dramatically understaffed and underfunded. On top of that, there are legions of morons willing to go after regulators for not stopping problems they were ever equipped to handle, who then take that assertion as a reason why the SEC should be abolished.

This is saying nothing of the “innovation stifling” argument which is too stupid for me to learn how to best address. It’s been spoken about by smarter people so I’ll just recommend everyone read the usual cryptoskeptic bloggers like Gerard, Castor, Tomlin, Piancey et al.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Juul-Whip posted:

Seeing “hyper-deflationary” runs a smart contract on my neuronchain that makes me remember everything I know about the Japanese Lost Decade as fast as cognition allows.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice code, bro.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I love how coinerz just assume deflate is good because inflate is bad. Also dont ask what/how exactly is bad or good.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paladinus posted:

Nice code, bro.

Do you keep it trimmed so it looks bigger?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
As someone that works in a highly regulated industry, I love how people that aren't toss around "audit" like every single audit is forensic accounting done by PricewaterhouseCoopers in a multi-billion dollar lawsuit. Like, sometimes it's, yep, that document sure is there in that file, yep, that definitely is a 2 digit number where a two digit number should be, well, you certainly have a form for that thing you did.

Sure, there are audits where I spend days going over files with a fine tooth comb making sure every i is dotted and there isn't a misplaced comma and if it isn't I have a drat good explanation why it isn't and there are audits where it's like make sure my I have updated my personnel file with that training I did on if eating broken glass is potentially dangerous.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 10, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I got curious about NFTs and checked out rarible and opensea, to see how the process works and what their cut is. The hosed up thing I didn't realize is, you have to pay upwards of $100 to register your "art" on the chain, or it's not showing up on the site. So if you thought you could sell cute crap for $5 bucks, well, think again. Teh house always wins.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Juul-Whip posted:

lol, in a previous life, i was a trained ISO 9001 auditor and i can absolutely guarantee you that no cryptocurrency can pass an actual legitimate audit.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/sovereignmining/status/1433807746961264644

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Three Olives posted:

As someone that works

Wtf

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Everything about this is perfect.

Meet Mr. Goxx, the crypto daytrader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5scs_NWTSg

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This is some galaxy brain bullshit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Calling things you don't like online "a religion" is incredibly dumb, but goddamned if I don't read pure religious overtones to that tweet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did we do Inside the cult of crypto yet? Cause it sure sounds like a religious movement based on some of what's in there.

I'm just glad that there's no crossover between QAnon and Bitcoin yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The line between cult, pyramid scheme and scam has always been fuzzy. Bitcoin is more a decentralised hysteria/conspiracy theory like gold and silver bugs or Iraqi dinars that any scammer can latch onto with ready-to-go blueprints for their grift.