Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations for OP-1 travel cases? Everything official is out of stock and the stock box plus rubbers bands thing is huge. TSA was like wtf is this thing.

I have a couple of cases from Analog Cases and have been pretty happy with them. It looks like they have an OP-1 case, though I don't have any of the Glide cases so I'm not sure what the difference is. The Pulse cases are a fairly rigid clamshell-style case made out of some sort of rubbery polymer. I can't really tell from the description but it's possible the Glide cases (including the OP-1 case) might be padded fabric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Aw man, my cousins had this keyboard growing up. I was always fond of the demo song on it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

VoodooXT posted:

Aw man, my cousins had this keyboard growing up. I was always fond of the demo song on it.

Yeah, I like these. I feel like I could do any number of Dr. Who audio tracks when I play this one. You want orchestral stabs and helicopter sounds combined? We got you covered.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

havelock posted:

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations for OP-1 travel cases? Everything official is out of stock and the stock box plus rubbers bands thing is huge. TSA was like wtf is this thing.
I have the unit portables one but they look to be out of business. Mentioning it just in case you find someone selling a used one.
Same here. Honestly didn't even know/realize that Unit Portables was a separate company (let alone that they went out of business), I just figured it was a Teenage Engineering case with their kind of branding. Would recommend though if you can pick one up on the used market.

Speaking of the used market and :homebrew: :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: though, I broke down and bought a Prophet-10.

I should probably really sell some stuff...

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Meanwhile, my music shop just called to let me know that they in fact don't have anymore seaboards in stock and have to cancel my order. My wallet is safe once again, for now...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

minidracula posted:

Same here. Honestly didn't even know/realize that Unit Portables was a separate company (let alone that they went out of business), I just figured it was a Teenage Engineering case with their kind of branding. Would recommend though if you can pick one up on the used market.

Speaking of the used market and :homebrew: :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: though, I broke down and bought a Prophet-10.

I should probably really sell some stuff...

Did you just quote a quote?

We can do that?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Did you just quote a quote?

We can do that?

It is forbidden.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

quote:

you

quote:

can

quote:

nest[quote]quotes
[/quote]

I guess only a couple layers is allowed lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I guess only a couple layers is allowed lol

I guess that and the image attachment size limits are for that one goon still banging away on his COMPY386 with a CGA monitor.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Remember that one thread where everyone posted what browser they were using for the forums and there was one guy using webTV and he got banned lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

snorch posted:

Meanwhile, my music shop just called to let me know that they in fact don't have anymore seaboards in stock and have to cancel my order. My wallet is safe once again, for now...

time to buy a woodwind breath controller

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

On a related subject, crossposting this:

This seems like a really well-thought-out project and one that any of us could emulate.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 10, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

can I just go back in time and do synth stuff since I was a baby instead of whatever else it was I was doing?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh hey, I made a thing available after 6 years. It's the ending theme of a short film I scored in film school. If anyone has Shudder, the short was directed by the same guy who did the short The Quiet Room.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just got a novation circuit tracks.

using it as a drum machine and bass line machine and using hydrasynth as the instrument I play although the circuit can control the hydrasynth via midi. I’ve only got one midi cable at the moment so i’m hoping when I get two that I can record to the circuit from the keyboard

anyway what I really want to sort out first is the midi clock.

i’ve got the circuit tracks set to transmit clock
midi out from circuit to midi in on hydrasynth (and i’ve got the circuit playing notes on hydra so that works)

but not sure of how to get hydra to take the clock. it was set to auto and it used to pull the tempo from
ableton, and now i try setting it to midi in but when i do that it does nothing at all …

i’m very new to midi. any clues?

e: turns out the circuit needs to be playing. then it works on auto. and when its set to midi in, when the circuit's not playing there's no clock so of course the hydra's gonna do nothing

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 10, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Agreed posted:

can I just go back in time and do synth stuff since I was a baby instead of whatever else it was I was doing?

I was already taking apart Tiger electronics and breaking them, may as well have been making beep machines.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I was already taking apart Tiger electronics and breaking them, may as well have been making beep machines.

Tiger Electronics deserve to be broken

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

just got a novation circuit tracks.

yeah setting up midi is basically read the manual, going through the settings and make sure everything is lined up. then try again

I really want the circuit rhythm lol. fighting gas is hard sometimes

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I feel like the OP-1 I have coming in next week should be enough to hold off my hardware GAS for a good long while.

Now, software GAS on the other hand, is going to become a real issue, with my MacBook Air on the way. :retrogames:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Get logic it’s a steal at $200. Used to be $500

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Already bought with the laptop. :D I talked about it a little more in the Music Prod thread, but I'm planning to pair it with V Collection and the new version of Reason to start with, with more programs on the way as M1 compatibility improves/I dig out all the old licenses for VSTs I bought in the past. Still will have a solid week or so to play around with the OP-1 before I have to worry about getting all that, though (which is good, because there definitely looks like a bit of a learning curve for me to get the most out of it).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

You young whippersnappers and your one-time $199.99 purchase of Logic Pro X. In my day you had to choose between Logic Silver, Logic Gold, and Logic Platinum! And you had to buy the software instruments separately! I paid $249 for the EXS sampler, and $80 for the ES1 synth! And every time they upgraded to a new version of Logic, we had to pay for it! And they made us attach a giant dongle to our serial port.

And we liked it! :corsair:

We did not, in fact, like any of it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I tell yah, starting out making sounds/music today, it's mindblowing what's possible with only free software on even a windows machine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It's like I got a couple MIDI keyboards and some fun synths and in the process of turning them on and opening the DAW, I cross some invisible membrane in reality and suddenly things hum and spark, It has added dimensions to writing and recording music for me that I appreciate so much, and even improved my listening appreciation because I hear how everywhere synths are more now.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just dooting away over here

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

time to buy a woodwind breath controller

I've already peaked on that journey, the Yamaha WX5+VL combo is wind synth nirvana :getin:

B33rChiller posted:

I tell yah, starting out making sounds/music today, it's mindblowing what's possible with only free software on even a windows machine.

What software have you been using?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

I've already peaked on that journey, the Yamaha WX5+VL combo is wind synth nirvana :getin:

What is this VL that you speak of?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

petit choux posted:

What is this VL that you speak of?

In the 90s Yamaha was trying to make physical modeling synthesis happen with their Virtual Lead line, but I think it proved too niche and too expensive to manufacture.

There's the big granddaddy keyboard version VL1, and the lesser-known VP1, then they tried to branch out by creating the VL70m module for their breath controllers, and the plug-in VL boards for their Motif synths and others. The one I've got is a MU100R with a VL card installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShvfnDLZfA0

It's a shame they've basically abandoned the technology entirely at this point, it makes for some very punchy and organic sounds.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

snorch posted:

The online web synths at synth.playtronica.com
Cakewalk as a daw
Caustic
Vcv rack
And beepbox.co
Messed around with whatever I could find suggested by searching youtube for free vst instruments
The options have been numerous, and somewhat overwhelmed me by illuminating much of the breadth and depth of what I have yet to learn.
:wtc: sorry for the purple prose garbage.
Lots of fun and experimentation to be had for a rookie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of vcvrack, version 2 is due out in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1yg9ib_oI

Paid version will have a vst mode.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ages ago someone in this thread or another said they got a hydrasynth and said something along the lines like "it reignited a joy of music" or something idk. Anyway. If that was you ... thankyou.
I'm not sure why that particular thing someone said made me want to investigate or buy a hydrasynth. But thankyou so much. As a single piece of equipment I get so much joy for playing sounds with it.

without that single post I may have never paid any attention to the hydrasynth, let alone actually wanting to buy one.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

It's a shame they've basically abandoned the technology entirely at this point, it makes for some very punchy and organic sounds.

The infuriating part is that if you threw those 1993 algorithms at a modern DSP (or heck, even just an ARM), you'd probably get your full-keyboard polyphony with all the bells and whistles, too. The biggest drawback is possibly the lack of sweetspots; it's easy to end up with something howling and noisy with a flanger effect on it

also, champagne plastic and walnut wood on a synth, i mean, i get it was the 90s, but jfc

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Laserjet 4P posted:

it's easy to end up with something howling and noisy with a flanger effect on it

yeah but enough about dubstep in 2018

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

The infuriating part is that if you threw those 1993 algorithms at a modern DSP (or heck, even just an ARM), you'd probably get your full-keyboard polyphony with all the bells and whistles, too. The biggest drawback is possibly the lack of sweetspots; it's easy to end up with something howling and noisy with a flanger effect on it

also, champagne plastic and walnut wood on a synth, i mean, i get it was the 90s, but jfc

I've actually been chipping away at this and have a working reed model running on a $7 ARM, it just doesn't sound too great yet. My dream is a self-contained physical modeling horn. Yamaha got really close with their YDS sax, but for some reason they decided samples are the way to go :iiam:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Ive come close to getting the poly VL working on the S-YXG 100 PVL in a win98 VM bubble but I never touched the VL gold editor so I don't know if editing presets is a possibility

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Did not know this, it says here (at Reverb) that Leon Theremin made the "first" drum machine as well as the machine named after him:

He's approaching godlike in my reckoning

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

petit choux posted:

Did not know this, it says here (at Reverb) that Leon Theremin made the "first" drum machine as well as the machine named after him:

I want to touch that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

First electronic drum machine :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSCKPA9OHgg

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, I'm sure there's a long line of Swiss clock makers that come before him if you aren't talking electronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Amazon adjusts all their prices dynamically using an algorithm (maybe with the exception of items where the supplier disallows discounts?) It's more likely you were seeing regular fluctuations in the price rather than something targeted at you.

But yeah, it is definitely worth looking at a price tracker for anything on there and waiting until the price goes down.

The dark side of this is that the algorithm dynamically jacks up prices on less common stuff, especially if they're the last place that still has stock, because their algorithm knows they can hook at least some people. I've seen things listed at 2-3X more than retail. Synths, at least in Canada, are a super mixed bag, often 2/3 the price at an actual music shop as on Amazon.

Anecdotally, after doing a bunch of shopping around on Amazon and some other sites I've had surprise "one day sales" show up on something in my cart.

As for other gear lust, I regretted not getting the Deadbox Abyss.... I might have a hard time saying no to this one: https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nymphes/

Also if you were jonesing for that Moog Claravox Centennial Theremin and were regretting not getting it, well, let's just say it's still having issues either getting to people who bought it or working properly when it does.

Current hypothesis is they're testing units with antennas that aren't the ones you get in the box and some are requiring excessive calibration, if they work at all.