Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon has a list of compatible phone models, and that’s what they will say works. There can be phones that aren’t on the list that you could pop in a SIM and it works, but they won’t guarantee it.

OK but they won't block it like At&t is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Need a phone to replace my Xcover 3 on account of it being old as poo poo.

Budget: €300. Finnish prices so they're probably somewhat higher than in the US or wherever.

Requirements: Impact/dust/water resistant, decent battery life, not too big

Mainly use a phone for IM, music, light web browsing and as a camera and navigator at work so performance isn't a big priority. Might go with the Xcover 5 since I've been mostly happy with the 3, but some review mentioned Ulefone as being better value for money so anyone know anything about those?

bloom fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 4, 2021

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Does anyone have a link to that google doc list of every phone model from the last 5+ years with pricing and yes/no security updates EOL etc tia

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How is Verizon prepaid's website and support? I switched to AT&T from Boost earlier this year, and AT&T has all the prepaid stuff on a completely different, walled-off, gimped website with few options. Boost's website was significantly better - hell, even the Xfinity website is better.

I avoided T-Mobile because I know their service is next to nonexistent at my house, but now I've found AT&T to be almost as bad. I know Verizon puts out decent signal here, and I own an unlocked universal phone so changing carriers shouldn't be a big deal. I was considering an MVNO but I just don't want to deal with porting my number any more times than necessary, because it was like pulling teeth to get it ported from Boost to AT&T. Is Verizon prepaid a decent experience to manage, or is it bad enough I should consider Tracfone or Ting or something?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know if prepaid is the issue with AT&T. I tried replacing my sister's email with my parents' on their account (she signed them up before they had email) and I had to do it in like eight different locations on the site and one of them I couldn't switch at all, so my sis is still getting bill pending emails.

Um, anyway, I switched to Verizon in person (from Cricket) and it was fairly painless, but I had all my account info written down, including PIN codes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How is Verizon prepaid's website and support? I switched to AT&T from Boost earlier this year, and AT&T has all the prepaid stuff on a completely different, walled-off, gimped website with few options. Boost's website was significantly better - hell, even the Xfinity website is better.

I avoided T-Mobile because I know their service is next to nonexistent at my house, but now I've found AT&T to be almost as bad. I know Verizon puts out decent signal here, and I own an unlocked universal phone so changing carriers shouldn't be a big deal. I was considering an MVNO but I just don't want to deal with porting my number any more times than necessary, because it was like pulling teeth to get it ported from Boost to AT&T. Is Verizon prepaid a decent experience to manage, or is it bad enough I should consider Tracfone or Ting or something?

Verizon prepaid has good coverage, postpaid does have higher priority but prepaid still does the trick. It is similar in that it’s more limited customer service than postpaid, but that’s one reason it’s cheaper tbh. Honestly, likely to be fine but nothing replaces trying it out.

Switching from ATT prepaid to Verizon prepaid should be like, 10-50 mins for it to switchover.

How much data do you need ?

FYI if you need help ordering a prepaid SIM, feel free to PM and I can reach out and help you order it. I can’t reserve a SIM for prepaid in store, it would be standard 2 day shipping.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

I don't know if prepaid is the issue with AT&T. I tried replacing my sister's email with my parents' on their account (she signed them up before they had email) and I had to do it in like eight different locations on the site and one of them I couldn't switch at all, so my sis is still getting bill pending emails.

Um, anyway, I switched to Verizon in person (from Cricket) and it was fairly painless, but I had all my account info written down, including PIN codes.

That's one of my concerns - the AT&T prepaid site is so bad it has little information and even less ways of changing it. I'll dig into that further before switching. Getting my Boost account number required calling them (seriously, it's the only way to get your Boost account number) and they try to do customer retention poo poo. I told them I was changing carriers because they were going to T-Mobile towers only, which suck at my house, and they didn't really have an answer to that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon prepaid has good coverage, postpaid does have higher priority but prepaid still does the trick. It is similar in that it’s more limited customer service than postpaid, but that’s one reason it’s cheaper tbh. Honestly, likely to be fine but nothing replaces trying it out.

Switching from ATT prepaid to Verizon prepaid should be like, 10-50 mins for it to switchover.

How much data do you need ?

FYI if you need help ordering a prepaid SIM, feel free to PM and I can reach out and help you order it. I can’t reserve a SIM for prepaid in store, it would be standard 2 day shipping.

I've been fine with 4GB/month for the last couple years, and would be switching from a 5GB/month plan probably to another 5GB/month plan. On rare occasions I need to use my phone as a hotspot, but I've never had that use more than 3GB.

Thanks for the offer about the SIM, but I'm kind of thinking of going into a local Verizon store to do it. My biggest concern is with number porting, and I'm thinking doing it in person might provide a little extra insurance.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm a Sprint user who's been forcibly shunted into the T-Mobile eco-system. I'm bummed because I assume I'm losing my free 25GB hotspot and Hulu+ as part of my Sprint plan. Oh and the unlimited data/voice.

My gal may be leaving her family plan, she's currently on T-Mobile.

Right now I'm debating between staying w/ T-Mobile or jumping to Verizon.

I believe Verizon has better coverage/functionality/speed than T-Mobile on average, but it's been years since I cared or looked into it.

I currently have an iPhone 12 Mini that's on the T-Mobile network already, and is unlocked so should be able to jump to Verizon as well. My GF would probably get a new phone.

Any thoughts or recommendations/considerations? Oh, and we'd be getting into a family plan. She sits at home on WiFi all day and I'm pretty inundated w/ WiFi but I also stream a decent amount of YouTube and podcasts when driving.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 10, 2021

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm a Sprint user who's been forcibly shunted into the T-Mobile eco-system. I'm bummed because I assume I'm losing my free 25GB hotspot and Hulu+ as part of my Sprint plan. Oh and the unlimited data/voice.

I believe Verizon has better coverage/functionality/speed than T-Mobile on average, but it's been years since I cared or looked into it.

I currently have an iPhone 12 Mini that's on the T-Mobile network already, and is unlocked so should be able to jump to Verizon as well. My GF would probably get a new phone.

Any thoughts or recommendations/considerations? Oh, and we'd be getting into a family plan. She sits at home on WiFi all day and I'm pretty inundated w/ WiFi but I also stream a decent amount of YouTube and podcasts when driving.

I vastly preferred T-Mo because of the very very generous Binge On streaming. If you have coverage and use those services, it's pretty great. I'm on Trac-Verizone because for coverage reasons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's one of my concerns - the AT&T prepaid site is so bad it has little information and even less ways of changing it. I'll dig into that further before switching. Getting my Boost account number required calling them (seriously, it's the only way to get your Boost account number) and they try to do customer retention poo poo. I told them I was changing carriers because they were going to T-Mobile towers only, which suck at my house, and they didn't really have an answer to that.

I've been fine with 4GB/month for the last couple years, and would be switching from a 5GB/month plan probably to another 5GB/month plan. On rare occasions I need to use my phone as a hotspot, but I've never had that use more than 3GB.

Thanks for the offer about the SIM, but I'm kind of thinking of going into a local Verizon store to do it. My biggest concern is with number porting, and I'm thinking doing it in person might provide a little extra insurance.

Totally makes sense, that’s up to you. FYI 5GB plan is $40. $35 with autopay, goes down by $5 at months 3 and 9 as well, so it’s as low as $25.

Boywhiz88 posted:

As long as you do autopay with checking account, Verizon is $140 a month, unlimited call, text, data, 15GB mobile hotspot, and includes Disney and Hulu. Extra discounts if you are military, first responder, teacher or nurse.

Switching to that plan, you can get a $500 switcher card (it’s a Verizon gift card, so $500 worth of free service) to bring your own device. She can probably trade in her phone, but I don’t know what the new iPhone promos next week are (it’s currently $700 towards any 12 series if she has an iPhone 8 or up for trade in).

Feel free to PM for any questions , as mentioned a bit above to another poster, I can help iron out any questions and help order anything.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have a family plan with verizon in california and its horrible slow garbage, it was slightly faster before everyone started using 5g.

So at the moment I use verizon just for calls and texts and back on fi just for data which is blazing fast and will in future just get rid of verizon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Totally makes sense, that’s up to you. FYI 5GB plan is $40. $35 with autopay, goes down by $5 at months 3 and 9 as well, so it’s as low as $25.

As long as you do autopay with checking account, Verizon is $140 a month, unlimited call, text, data, 15GB mobile hotspot, and includes Disney and Hulu. Extra discounts if you are military, first responder, teacher or nurse.

Switching to that plan, you can get a $500 switcher card (it’s a Verizon gift card, so $500 worth of free service) to bring your own device. She can probably trade in her phone, but I don’t know what the new iPhone promos next week are (it’s currently $700 towards any 12 series if she has an iPhone 8 or up for trade in).

Feel free to PM for any questions , as mentioned a bit above to another poster, I can help iron out any questions and help order anything.

gently caress yeah, thank you Duckman! Yeah, I’ve been leaning towards Verizon if only for that BYOD deal. It’s too good to pass up! I’ll holler sometime this week when I have a chance to talk things over!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Update: I finally got my service activated and number ported to Verizon this afternoon. The online order I put in yesterday apparently poofed out of existence with no feedback it had done so, so I had to call and do it by voice with customer support today. Aside from long wait times they were actually great, and were able to actually accomplish something, unlike AT&T support.

I now have usable cell service in my house again, and Verizon's online tools are much more competent than AT&T Prepaid was. So far so good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Update: I finally got my service activated and number ported to Verizon this afternoon. The online order I put in yesterday apparently poofed out of existence with no feedback it had done so, so I had to call and do it by voice with customer support today. Aside from long wait times they were actually great, and were able to actually accomplish something, unlike AT&T support.

I now have usable cell service in my house again, and Verizon's online tools are much more competent than AT&T Prepaid was. So far so good.

Long wait times are due to the firm they subcontract to for customer support being ransomwared.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That might explain why I had to call in the first place - I'd made an online order that seemed to go normally, but when I called the next day when nothing had happened I was told that order was just canceled for no apparent reason. I wonder if they shut down web or payment processing because of the attack.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Is it possible to get a 5g phone which would negate the need for me to get home broadband when I move (to a 5g area)? I want to tether a phone and use it for everything - streaming, gaming, massive downloads, whatever. There are unlimited data plans which are basically the same price as a broadband package on its own, and come with a new phone etc.

I don't really care about the phone itself so much because I'm sure anything would be better than what I currently have (a galaxy a3, like five years old). If it can do what that phone does maybe a bit faster + a better camera then I'm happy.

I'm really just looking for a way to have fast internet all the time wherever I am and also not pay a broadband bill on top. Is 5g enough to do this?

I know plans will vary but I'd look for one with a high throttle limit of like 1000gb which would probably just about cover me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bear in mind that 5g speeds are highly dependent on connection quality and even plaster walls diminish thoroughput to some degree.

I have line of sight to my 5g tower and get pretty great speeds but if I go a block away and lose line of sight, my speeds get cut in half.

If I'm outside my house I get almost 200 Mbps, I'm in an interior room and my throughout is 120. A block away and I'll be looking at 90-100.

Latency will also double or triple compared to a good broadband connection. My home internet gives me 15ish ms on speedtest, my cell connection is 55-60 ms. But that's only important if you play action games online.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 19, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think it really depends on what towers you're near, and how good your signal is. I have a 5G phone but just switched to Verizon who don't have 5G towers here yet beacuse their signal does reach my house (unlike T-Mobile or AT&T). I've run speedtests in various places in town and I can get like 200 mbps down some places, but here at home it looks like depending on what room I'm in it can range from 5mbps to 30mbps. At work I'm more like 100-200mbps. The latency is indeed higher than my cable internet, like 40-60 range.

Depending on what you need to do online you might be fine using your phone for Internet, but you really want to see how your phone performs in that specific location before making a decision.

When I had AT&T and was in an actual 5G area my results were slightly better for Internet speed, but that doesn't help when I can't get enough signal in my house to make a phone call, much less use it as a hotspot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

Is it possible to get a 5g phone which would negate the need for me to get home broadband when I move (to a 5g area)? I want to tether a phone and use it for everything - streaming, gaming, massive downloads, whatever. There are unlimited data plans which are basically the same price as a broadband package on its own, and come with a new phone etc.

I don't really care about the phone itself so much because I'm sure anything would be better than what I currently have (a galaxy a3, like five years old). If it can do what that phone does maybe a bit faster + a better camera then I'm happy.

I'm really just looking for a way to have fast internet all the time wherever I am and also not pay a broadband bill on top. Is 5g enough to do this?

I know plans will vary but I'd look for one with a high throttle limit of like 1000gb which would probably just about cover me.

Verizon and T-Mobile both have cellular home internet (not sure on ATT). Verizon’s is super selective based on if you happen to live near an ultra wide 5G area (city) or if your area has enough capacity where they will offer 4G unlimited internet (usually rural areas).

Hotspot is different than home internet, because hotspots have data caps.

I can’t 100% speak for T-Mobile , but I am pretty sure they don’t offer unlimited mobile hotspot. Verizon just added a lot of data to their separate mobile hotspots, but none of these are replacement for high speed wired internet. They’re just not offering it in most places yet.

Whenever C band 5G really gets rolled out, that’s likely when you’ll see a difference with offers.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon and T-Mobile both have cellular home internet (not sure on ATT). Verizon’s is super selective based on if you happen to live near an ultra wide 5G area (city) or if your area has enough capacity where they will offer 4G unlimited internet (usually rural areas).

ATT have https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless/ 350GB/m

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I recommend working w Duckman!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Pixel 2 is slowly dying (the microphone acting up is a definite last straw) and I will probably have a job again, so replacement time. Looking to talk it over. Ideally, I'd get a new Pixel 2 with continued software updates. It does everything that I want (media consumption, a camera I don't have to think about, playing one non-intensive game in the morning).

The Pixel 4a is the most appealing phone out there, but I think it's down to a year of software support at this point?

The 5a has everything I would want, but it's significantly larger than my 2 (≈1/4" in height and width).

I didn't pay much attention to the 5. Seems like a good size and more than adequate in power, but it has under the screen speakers? and it's not really worth the $150 over the 5a.

I can wait for the 6, but I think that's going to be expensive and I think also larger in size, may as well get the 5a at that point.

Is there another clean Android experience at a small overall size that will get software updates? I would prefer no Samsung.

I'm thinking about sucking it up and getting the 5a and trying to get used to the size.

(I have an iPad and I can't get used to iOS. iPhones are appealing otherwise for their size and updates.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Two years left on the 4a, it came out last year. Your options for software support are Pixels or Samsung, based on my research a month ago.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

My Pixel 2 is slowly dying (the microphone acting up is a definite last straw) and I will probably have a job again, so replacement time. Looking to talk it over. Ideally, I'd get a new Pixel 2 with continued software updates. It does everything that I want

I'm in this boat too. my grandfathered unlimited Sprint plan is... at least $50 cheaper every month than other comparable options I'm doing my damndest to keep my hands on this phone, which is not currently dying.

However the TMobile merger and replacement of my SIM card has completely destroyed my signal so I'm yelling at them because it's their fault, I am going to try to get them to send me a new phone. I think the 4a is compelling to me as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Two years left on the 4a, it came out last year.

This made me (make my mom) order a 4a (because she has Prime and I wanted it ASAP and I didn't see a local seller). Excited for Sunday Sunday Sunday!

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
What would be the best replacement for a OnePlus 5T I've had mine since launch.

All I'm looking for is a similar size, I had a look at the S21 Ultra and that is too big. A big battery and an amoled screen.

I'm in the UK and once I know what I want I'll either buy outright or start a new contract.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Regular degular Galaxy S21 maybe

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Current contract status: SIM-Only month-to-month

Budget (phone/plan): <£300 handset purchase

Features I know I want: Longevity, reasonable camera

I've used a Moto G5 Plus for 4 years now and I'm looking for an up-to-date affordable all-rounder to replace it. Practicalities like headphone jack and SD card slots are a bonus to me too. I don't do any gaming so I'm not overly concerned with processor muscle. I'd like a phone I can use for another 4-5 years, but I understand that security update lifespans might make that unobtainable. This has put me off another Motorola (unless there are any with longer update cycles planned).

Is there anything worth considering aside from the Pixel 4a? My ideal spend is ~£250 so I've been tempted by the OnePlus CE/N10s as they are a fair bit cheaper but slightly put off by the reported bugginess and wonky cameras.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new Android phone. Wondering if you have recommendations.

For the past few years, I've been using a Motorola G4. It's served me well, but it's starting to show its age now. Since I've always been satisfied with it, I figured I'd just jump to the latest G-series phone (G10), but reading reviews about it and looking at the specs, I'm not impressed. It seems Moto G has gone from mid-end to budget-tier in the meantime, which is a shame.

Guidelines:

- Same sturdy and minimalistic design as Moto G phones
- 1080p resolution
- Decent RAM and processing power, and sufficient default storage space
- Good battery life
- I don't really care about camera quality
- I don't plan on using it to game often, but having decent performance if I do would still be nice

Basically, I want a mid-tier phone that is slick, efficient, and powerful in every sense, but as I will really just use it for everyday stuff I don't need it to include a bunch of superfluous functionalities or gadgets that I'd probably never use. I would like to keep it within the €200-500 range. Any suggestions?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Country/Provider: US, ATT

Budget (phone): Sub 800?

Features I know I want: Wireless Charging, 3.5 mm jack (prefer, not req), Android, Fingerprint Sensor

I dont care about processor power for gaming or screen size or storage

I had Nokia XR20 picked out, but it wont work on ATT after Feb 2022, so I need one that does. It had all those features plus was a bit more tough which I like. I'm outside loving around a lot camping and fishing etc and I don't like phone cases so that was right up my alley.

There probably wont be something that tough, but anything similar priced with similar features?

Here is the dumb list ATT gives me for what WILL work:

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If you want to stick with Motorola, the One Fusion+ would have been my pick a few months ago if I hadn't found a good refurb option for a higher-tier phone. Moto is still running a near-stock Android platform, too.

Potential reasons not to buy it:

- you want Google Pay (it's missing NFC)

- you take a lot of selfies (pop-up selfie camera)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Country/Provider: US, T-Mobile

Current contract status: Prepaid unlimited

Budget (phone/plan): Up to $70/mo

I'm shopping around for another carrier because T-Mobile's coverage is pretty spotty where I am (central VA), and when we're road tripping there are spots where I get no signal at all (looking at you, the black hole that is West Virginia) while my wife's iPhone ticks happily along on Xfinity Mobile.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to switch over to Xfinity as well, bit I'm curious if there are any better options out there. For the most part I'm usually on Wifi but if I'm traveling for work or we're ok a week road trip I prefer to have an unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about it. I don't use tethering, so any restrictions there won't be an issue.

If it helps, I'm currently on a Pixel 3, probably picking up the 6 when it launches later this month, but I'll pay for it out of pocket.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Country/Provider: Sweden

Current contract status: Buying just a phone

Budget (phone/plan): Like 10k SEK, but lower is better

Features I know I want: headphone jack if that is at all possible nowadays.

Basically a want a decent smartphone with a headphone jack which preferably doesn't cost a fortune.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
TCL 20 pro 5g might be worth a look.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Country/Provider: United States / T Mobile

Current contract status: Not under any commitment. Currently on an old plan that doesn't include 5g.

Budget (phone/plan): $500? I don't really know so I'm going to say "mid range." but I do want to outright buy a phone rather than pay monthly.

Features I know I want: Needs a 3.5mm headphone jack. I would like it to be small, but that's not a hard requirement. Current phone is 158.1 mm tall and that's a bit larger than I like (but clearly hasn't been a deal breaker.) I'm tempted by a physical keyboard, but that might just not be practical now adays.

I currently have an iphone 6 from 2014. My banking app no longer works with the current version of ios for the iphone 6. I am going to take this as a sign to replace my phone before it breaks and I have to scramble. I don't really use my phone or anything heavy duty. Discord, Plex, pictures, and no games.

I've also... never had a second smartphone before? I don't know if this needs to be specified but I'd like to just transfer my SIM card over.

edit: Ok actually what was throwing me off when I tried to research before making this post, it seems like the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a (5g) are discontinued, but the 5a (5g) and 4a (not 5g) are not. The 4a (not 5g) does seem to meet my requirements.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 13, 2021

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Edit: Reformatted

Hi! I'm looking for a new phone to replace the S10e that I liked a lot; I'm planning on keeping the S10e around as a backup phone.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon (but I'm leaning towards buying an unlocked phone).

Status Obligations: N/A - I'm on an Unlimited family plan that I've shared with my parents since before college. My line has no obligations attached to it, as I paid full retail up front for the S10e.

Budget: <$600, maybe, strong preference for something less than $500.

I don't have too many "must-have" features - I'm gradually turning into a cranky Luddite, I think. Decent battery life is probably my only must-have; if I can just get out of bed, take it off the charger and be good to go until I get in bed again, that'd be great. I assume basically everything supports wi-fi tethering at this point (as long as the plan does)? I do occasionally need to tether to my phone and SSH into my work computer. I also like the Google voice assistant feature on my android, since I can cue up my music while driving without fussing with buttons or screens - I have no idea if Siri works as well for that.

I'm pretty indifferent about upgrading to 5G - I don't find myself ever thinking "wow, I could use more bandwidth," and I spend a decent amount of time in fairly rural areas where 5G is spotty at best. Mostly I use my phone for music, podcasts, email, web browsing, and YouTube, and I don't have much interest in mobile gaming. A good screen in the same size range as the S10e would be nice, because I sometimes use my phone as a substitute for my Kindle. I have a few nice pairs of headphones, and little-to-no interest in wireless ones, so a headphone jack would be nice, if that's even possible any more. If not, then something that's compatible with a decent headphone jack dongle. I'm also fairly active and outdoors-y so some amount of water-proofing and resilience is preferable. For example, it'd be nice to tuck my phone in the back pocket of a cycling jersey and not worry about sweat while on a two hour ride. Again, I'm unsure if that's even possible, since sweat is intrinsically much worse than water.

The idea of switching to back to iOS doesn't bother me; I generally dislike the iOS interface, but I've been an OS X user for almost twenty years, and have always gotten decent-to-great support from Apple. I'm so fed up with the third-party support and insurers for Android devices that I'm more than willing to ditch Android for the ability to buy two years of AppleCare on my phone.

Sorry if that's nebulous; I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of options, and am unsure how to narrow it down. Thanks!

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm in the US, and I'm looking for a replacement smartphone.

Who is your provider?

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Charles posted:

Who is your provider?

Oh sorry! Verizon. I wasn't sure if that was relevant; I was leaning towards getting an unlocked phone direct from the manufacturer.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 18, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DrankSinatra posted:

Oh sorry! Verizon I wasn't sure if that was relevant; I was leaning towards getting an unlocked phone direct from the manufacturer.

AT&T won't activate phones that aren't on their white list anymore, so that could cause problems if you were getting a Nokia or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrankSinatra posted:

Edit: Reformatted

Hi! I'm looking for a new phone to replace the S10e that I liked a lot; I'm planning on keeping the S10e around as a backup phone.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon (but I'm leaning towards buying an unlocked phone).

Status Obligations: N/A - I'm on an Unlimited family plan that I've shared with my parents since before college. My line has no obligations attached to it, as I paid full retail up front for the S10e.

Budget: <$600, maybe, strong preference for something less than $500.

I don't have too many "must-have" features - I'm gradually turning into a cranky Luddite, I think. Decent battery life is probably my only must-have; if I can just get out of bed, take it off the charger and be good to go until I get in bed again, that'd be great. I assume basically everything supports wi-fi tethering at this point (as long as the plan does)? I do occasionally need to tether to my phone and SSH into my work computer. I also like the Google voice assistant feature on my android, since I can cue up my music while driving without fussing with buttons or screens - I have no idea if Siri works as well for that.

I'm pretty indifferent about upgrading to 5G - I don't find myself ever thinking "wow, I could use more bandwidth," and I spend a decent amount of time in fairly rural areas where 5G is spotty at best. Mostly I use my phone for music, podcasts, email, web browsing, and YouTube, and I don't have much interest in mobile gaming. A good screen in the same size range as the S10e would be nice, because I sometimes use my phone as a substitute for my Kindle. I have a few nice pairs of headphones, and little-to-no interest in wireless ones, so a headphone jack would be nice, if that's even possible any more. If not, then something that's compatible with a decent headphone jack dongle. I'm also fairly active and outdoors-y so some amount of water-proofing and resilience is preferable. For example, it'd be nice to tuck my phone in the back pocket of a cycling jersey and not worry about sweat while on a two hour ride. Again, I'm unsure if that's even possible, since sweat is intrinsically much worse than water.

The idea of switching to back to iOS doesn't bother me; I generally dislike the iOS interface, but I've been an OS X user for almost twenty years, and have always gotten decent-to-great support from Apple. I'm so fed up with the third-party support and insurers for Android devices that I'm more than willing to ditch Android for the ability to buy two years of AppleCare on my phone.

Sorry if that's nebulous; I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of options, and am unsure how to narrow it down. Thanks!

Call Verizon and ask if they have any retention offers for you. They may or may not (you can PM me for help there too if you want it).

It really would just be whether you want a Samsung S21, iPhone 13, or the pixel 5a (not available on Verizon yet).