Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheKingslayer posted:

I've been watching Kolchak recently and its excellent. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw David Chase appear in the credits.

Yeah it's really good. I'd love to see a cleaned up blu-ray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Another Bill posted:

My parents have been huge Bruce fans for 40 years and they could never take Silvio seriously because they know Little Steven is completely bald up top. The hair was too much for them.

I watched an interview after reading this out of curiosity and he mentions he left the E Street Band because he got addicted to international liberation politics and went to South Africa...must have been what inspired the Eugene leaving plot

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think I've ever seen him without a bandana on, and I didn't know that was a wig, but in retrospect, duh

now i'm wondering if there was ever an easter egg line about silvio making fun of ralph's hair, but i suppose nobody but tony and chris would have known about that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In Many Saints of Newark, Young Silvio’s going to be as bald as old man Artie and young Artie’s going to have long hair like a headbanger.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't the bandanna because of an awful scar from a motorcycle accident? Or have I been had?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

Isn't the bandanna because of an awful scar from a motorcycle accident? Or have I been had?

Could be! I've just never seen him without it. Except on the sopranos obviously

night slime
May 14, 2014

codo27 posted:

He says he went through a windshield and the hair didn't grow back right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

night slime posted:

He says he went through a windshield and the hair didn't grow back right

that there's a man who knows better than to go around in pity for himself

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

davecrazy posted:

Boonton is full of million dollar homes.

David Chase decided to invent the ‘Boonton Projects’ as a gently caress you to the town after he got some flack from the town about some scenes he shot.

It’s also literally less the 30 mins from the Soprano house. As a hideout spot it really was not a good one.

Are you implying that noted genius Jackie Jr. Picked a stupid hiding spot?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

Just go for it. It's a lot of fun.

"Why're you playing that Rockford music? I'm Mitchell!"

Oop, wrong thread.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

night slime posted:

I watched an interview after reading this out of curiosity and he mentions he left the E Street Band because he got addicted to international liberation politics and went to South Africa...must have been what inspired the Eugene leaving plot

How could you talk about this and not post this banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopKk56jM-I

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GoutPatrol posted:

How could you talk about this and not post this banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopKk56jM-I

This fucken owns

night slime
May 14, 2014
Too high quality for me can't watch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For some reason I was thinking about the “whatever happened there” scene again, and as much credit as “alright then!” deserves for perfect comedic timing, credit has to be given to little carmine for helpfully following up Phil’s outburst with “the shooting” as though the issue was that he couldn’t remember what happened to his brother

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Em4ckh878

New trailer makes me dare to dream that the film might actually be good

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 8, 2021

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
New trailer is a lot more inspiring than the previous one and makes Dickie Moltisanti look a lot more like the protagonist of the film. I remain cautiously optimistic about the film.

I did cringe at the line at the end where baby Christopher cries in Tony's face, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I'm just straight up not paying attention to trailers, tbh. I'll wait for the release and the critical reviews before I start worrying

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, I like this one better except for the callbacks (call forwards?). Hopefully a big presence only in the trailers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Michael Gandolfini’s delivery of “I’m always been’ accused!” is perfect

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I put on the trailer earlier and then Chase on Kimmel last night, and it all felt so surreal in a good way. Like, to be excited for something, a movie when literally everything to grace theatres for years has been complete manufactured goat excrement. And then, the concept of someone worth listening to, on a talk show? What is this, 1994? Then you throw in the Matrix happening as well. I was emotional, its like being a kid again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know it was always suspected or known, but this trailer definitely confirmed that the timeline has been shuffled a little. Tony and Chris were 10 years apart in age in the tv show and now it's like 16-18 years.

It's not a big deal and it's why I haven't really bothered theory crafting anything for the movie.

Did Chase or any other writers already straight up confirm that?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 9, 2021

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Liked the "got myself a son" which is a nice callback to the Alabama 3 song.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm just straight up not paying attention to trailers, tbh. I'll wait for the release and the critical reviews before I start worrying

I was so desperate to go to the movies again after COVID that I let myself get trailer tricked for the first time in like seven years. Never again. (It will absolutely happen again). I don't even trust like, the Dune trailer, now. Don't go watch Free Guy if you already haven't :argh:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://deadline.com/2021/09/terenc...ark-1234828355/

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I honestly don't want another one, even if Many Saints ends up being a masterpiece. There is only so much you can do in one universe, and I honestly would hate it for the Sopranos Universe gets oversaturated and, inevitably, falls into the trap of Trying to Explain Too Much - the ambiguity of the series is one of its strongest suits and it doesn't need to be Franchise-ivied like so many other properties have been.

The way the Sopranos handles memory is also super important - and how faulty it can be. We get snippets of Tony's life through his own monologues and flashbacks (the authenticity of which are unclear, they could be "objective" or they could be his own recollections), and the conflict between his self-conception and intrusions from reality are a really fascinating part of the series. Having more "objective" look-ins causes problems there, though I'm hopeful Many Saints doesn't walk right into just explicating everything. Though I think it wont.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want a Ralph prequel movie where he watches Gladiator for the first time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I honestly don't want another one, even if Many Saints ends up being a masterpiece. There is only so much you can do in one universe, and I honestly would hate it for the Sopranos Universe gets oversaturated and, inevitably, falls into the trap of Trying to Explain Too Much - the ambiguity of the series is one of its strongest suits and it doesn't need to be Franchise-ivied like so many other properties have been.

The way the Sopranos handles memory is also super important - and how faulty it can be. We get snippets of Tony's life through his own monologues and flashbacks (the authenticity of which are unclear, they could be "objective" or they could be his own recollections), and the conflict between his self-conception and intrusions from reality are a really fascinating part of the series. Having more "objective" look-ins causes problems there, though I'm hopeful Many Saints doesn't walk right into just explicating everything. Though I think it wont.

Agreed honestly. I hope many saints is good, but I hope they don't try to bottle the lightning and make a sopranos cinematic universe

that said, as a simpsons fan, i'm emotionally prepared for that contingency

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sopranos cinematic universe: ginny sac versus the bmi
sopranos cinematic universe: artie smuggles his oregano seeds in from italy
sopranos cinematic universe: vitos kid reevaluates good charlotte
sopranos cinematic universe: sacre bleu, where ist mi mama???

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know it was always suspected or known, but this trailer definitely confirmed that the timeline has been shuffled a little. Tony and Chris were 10 years apart in age in the tv show and now it's like 16-18 years.

I always had the impression that the latter was the case in the show as well.

e: then again that does make him being bullied by tony and tony b weird

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Stairmaster posted:

I always had the impression that the latter was the case in the show as well.

e: then again that does make him being bullied by tony and tony b weird

So google confirms Tony’s meant to be 38-40 in season one (for reference they celebrate his 47th birthday near the end of season 6)

Going by this timeline tony was bullying him like a few years before the series started lol. Just razzing Chris up tying him to a tree then taking meadow to high school the next day

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I watched the Sopranos 20 year reunion thing for the first time last night and there were so many unexpected things. I think chief among them was Van Zandt saying his wife (who played Gabriella) was the trained actor between the two of them :eyepop:

also Dominic Chianese being a lovely, kind man instead of, well, uncle joon

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

I watched the Sopranos 20 year reunion thing for the first time last night and there were so many unexpected things. I think chief among them was Van Zandt saying his wife (who played Gabriella) was the trained actor between the two of them :eyepop:

also Dominic Chianese being a lovely, kind man instead of, well, uncle joon

Yeah he's such a sweet and soft-spoken old gent :3: I can't remember where it's mentioned (might be that reunion) but he scrupulously never, ever swears IRL, which is hilarious.

If you've not seen this, it's worth a watch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6i-f1nXMk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dominic had tears in his eyes throughout the entire convention, he was just so incredibly touched that so many people were there to say hi to him. He had the second-longest line after Drea de Matteo.

Also, we just finished “Unidentified Black Males” on our rewatch before the movie and PEEPS on the headstone is still one of the funniest things the show ever did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Dominic had tears in his eyes throughout the entire convention, he was just so incredibly touched that so many people were there to say hi to him. He had the second-longest line after Drea de Matteo.

Didn't you get to hear him sing, too?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, we just finished “Unidentified Black Males” on our rewatch before the movie and PEEPS on the headstone is still one of the funniest things the show ever did.

one of my favorite little non-sequiturs is when Silvio explains that Jason is dyslexic and Tony rightly asks what that has to do with anything. Syl just kind of shrugs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't you get to hear him sing, too?

Yeah, he did “Core ‘ngrato” and six or seven other songs. You’d never know he was eighty-eight at the time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Agreed honestly. I hope many saints is good, but I hope they don't try to bottle the lightning and make a sopranos cinematic universe

that said, as a simpsons fan, i'm emotionally prepared for that contingency

I mean the simpsons movie was a perfectly fine product out of the late series simpsons output.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/ameliasonline/status/1436785168891645953?s=21

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

david chase is doing the 'you didn't see the movie on your loving iphone!!' thing because many saints is coming out on hbo max same day at cinemas. it's the same thing every time with these guys. it doesn't matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
I found his crankiness in interviews pretty endearing. He comes across as Tony a little bit