Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xarbala posted:

Did you beat it?

Yes, eventually, even the mission pack. And also played a while bunch of multiplayer with my brother. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spinz posted:

Whats stuck with me is the jumpers. And the insanity of anyone berating that choice.

justified imo. woudl rahter a nice cardigan or perhaps a zip hoodie

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Stux posted:

justified imo. woudl rahter a nice cardigan or perhaps a zip hoodie

trying to use britishisms on this most holy and american of days? :stare:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

This is fascinating to read, honestly. I still remember stuff about 9/11 but I'm not American, but my father is, so I had a very different experience.

So basically it was the first day of school that year and I came home to find my das staring at the TV like someone just murdered his entire family.
His entire family was, of course, fine because none of them were in the WTC or even in New York.

I then went to my room to play video games, but I don't remember what I played because it was just another day.

Next day my teacher was like "Something interesting happened yesterday. Maybe some of you who have watched the news already know." during our history lesson, but it didn't come up much otherwise.

It's kinda hilarious contrasting this with American people's 9/11 stories. Because for us it was mostly treated as business as usual. Oh sure, a big world and generation-defining event just happened, with consequences that are still felt around the world to this day. People knew poo poo had hit the fan, of course, it's just they were so far removed from the source that aside from the TV being on CNN because my dad wanted to be soothed by George W. Bush's voice.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I'm not an American either so I had much of the same experience; I was home alone around 3pm that day playing videogames when my grandma called and told me to turn on the tv. It felt a bit surreal and I understood that it was going to be a historic event so I kept the tv on while playing games.

In fact I think it was on the same day that my cousin was diagnosed with brain cancer which was a much bigger deal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I enjoy the fact that the largest turning point in modern American history just involved folks in other countries continuing to play videogames

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

I enjoy the fact that the largest turning point in modern American history just involved folks in other countries continuing to play videogames

For us the day jihadists flew into our buildings was one of the most important days of our lives, but for everyone else it was Tuesday.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Forget 9/11, MH-370 is the big conspiracy being blown open today :tinfoil:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zil posted:

For us the day jihadists flew into our buildings was one of the most important days of our lives, but for everyone else it was Tuesday.

:drat:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did this video ever reach meme status on the forums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ngBu9Q1XM

I've been looking for it for years after seeing it on the forums in maybe 2009 or so, but nobody on SA recognizes it or even thinks it's funny. Am I losing my mind and I really saw it somewhere else?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I only found it again recently thanks to a random recent reupload.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah i rememberb it its a classic vid

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This guy is probably 40 now.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I'm probably 40 by now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wait, were we supposed to stop at 40?

...poo poo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Children of the corn was a documentary

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zil posted:

:bisonyes:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think I had found SA yet in 2001. I remember 9/11 being a long, weird day at work - kinda hard to wrap my head around the idea it was 20 years ago. Jesus Christ, I'm old :corsair:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i don't know if this is the same goon who posted about visiting groverhaus recently https://twitter.com/dunkleowolf/status/1436442757313204225

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Adventurer, of you want to sample my potions, thou shall ride to the Great Dismal Swamp and bring back a leaf from the tomb of the damned one only known to the toad folk as Grover

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i don't know if this is the same goon who posted about visiting groverhaus recently https://twitter.com/dunkleowolf/status/1436442757313204225

Am I alone in thinking this is weird?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Taking pictures of strangers' houses is a goon tradition.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Just taking pics of random houses is a bit weird.

Making a pilgrimage to Groverhaus is a bit weirder though, taking pics while you're there is actually pretty normal.

IGgy IGsen has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Sep 12, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We must check on the house from time to time to be there when it becomes sentient.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Groverhaus belongs in the Smithsonian.

E: along with beatmasterj's bathroom.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
You could build a museum around Groverhaus, but it'd eventually sink into the swamp.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1436972892990869507?s=19

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Len posted:

That one twitter person that "rediscovered" groverhaus probably has made stuff really annoying for whoever the current owner is

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Improbable Lobster posted:

That one twitter person that "rediscovered" groverhaus probably has made stuff really annoying for whoever the current owner is

So... grover? Since I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy the thing unless they were gonna demolish it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I have no idea where I'd have heard this if it wasn't itt but I'm sure I remember someone saying it had been sold

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Len posted:

Nope. Although the first time someone gets arrested by the cops for taking a photo outside the haus because the owners finally got tired of randos turning up will be quite an addition to that saga.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Frank Frank posted:

I mean, Kirk was clearly making that photo series for an audience. I had never considered that the intent of that series was not to gross people out. That sure is something.

he's divorced now

https://www.gawker.com/finding-goatse-the-mystery-man-behind-the-most-disturb-5899787

I've explained goatse to a... I don't know, depressing number of people, and regardless of their proclivities, I haven't yet had anyone react in any way other than with amused disgust

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wait, I thought he died?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Freudian posted:

Wait, I thought he died?

you're thinking of mr hands i think

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CoolCab posted:

you're thinking of mr hands i think

He died doing what he loved

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I do have to say, having accidentally stumbled across the Groverhaus while looking for the site of an old shipyard on google maps, it is absolutely not the only hideous architectural abomination in the general vicinity. Hampton Roads has a shocking number of hideously-built boxy homes, they just don't have the same hilarious backstory.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I do have to say, having accidentally stumbled across the Groverhaus while looking for the site of an old shipyard on google maps, it is absolutely not the only hideous architectural abomination in the general vicinity. Hampton Roads has a shocking number of hideously-built boxy homes, they just don't have the same hilarious backstory.

Wait wait wait. I knew about Groverhaus, but it's in Hampton Roads? Hampton Roads, Virginia? I...I had no idea I lived somewhat local to that whole situation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Wait wait wait. I knew about Groverhaus, but it's in Hampton Roads? Hampton Roads, Virginia? I...I had no idea I lived somewhat local to that whole situation.

Yeah, it's close to a US Navy facility.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh my god, that genius built his monstrosity in the wetlands? That's amazing. I have no idea how it is even still standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have no idea how it is even still standing.

Load bearing drywalls.