Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it was mostly great British bake off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CoolCab posted:

legit, the british language specifically is undergoing what to my ear is a pretty serious renaissance in NA. when i was a kid only cartoon english stereotypes use phrases like "bloody", "mum" and other routine anglosphere ticks like "gday" and "no worries". i think it's the ubiquity of youtube as the primary provider for children oriented content and that kids don't notice or care if peppa pig speaks a little different.

I've been on the no worries bandwagon ever since Sir Terry sold me on it, it's a great rhetorical flourish

American society is a cultural vacuum so I'm not surprised to see this sort of thing becoming more common

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1436652893558513664

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

not im my experience

i think it'd be a class thing and i don't interact with anyone higher than middle class

I use the -nt words and I don't have a fancy background or schooling, maybe it's partially regional as well?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just noticed that the coop has no vodka. Well, the furious jakies caught my attention.
I was close to pointing out the cherry Absolute for 25 quid but didn't want to be murdered

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
hey i have a solution to your scarcity crisis: eat the terfs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really seems like there's a particularly desperate push from the terfs who know they're losing the war and looking all the more ghoulish and psychotic, and increasingly unable to hide their alignment with the far right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

multijoe posted:

I use the -nt words and I don't have a fancy background or schooling, maybe it's partially regional as well?

i don't pronounce the g on the end of words like loving which is a regional/class thing i think. I do for thing though lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my accent is extremely elusive and changes radically depending on who i am speaking to. no one ever guesses it right, which is probably fair. i think i've had people guess every white anglo country on the planet by now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh also jose i was in newcastle today, the costco in gateshead, and mask use must have been well under 50%. i think worse than carlisle actually. so it might be retail location dependent too.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jose shops at the big sainsburys

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
while waitrose and a couple of other snooty uk only chains are definitely more bougie it's mostly on the basis everything costs twice as much - they don't charge a subscription fee. costco's clientele have always been upper class petite bourgeois and higher, their demographics skew ludicrously towards wealth iirc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

jose shops at the big sainsburys

It's true it's the closest supermarket to me and I am lazy

I've just come from down south though and mask usage at service stations was worse the more south I was

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

oh also jose i was in newcastle today, the costco in gateshead, and mask use must have been well under 50%. i think worse than carlisle actually. so it might be retail location dependent too.

thats not newcastle. you idiot. you moron

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I remember waitrose having a £10 loaf. In 1998 money too.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

I saw a guy play at the sage and he got massively booed when he said hello Newcastle lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

oh sorry i don't really know my southern geography

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

winchester is the true center of power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol kieth

https://twitter.com/LfcBecky/status/1436807270294298626?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I forgot about Brexit for a sec

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1436262726196768820

how's that renewed relationship with the US working out?

quote:

Ministers announced they will slash driving test rules in a bid to tackle the lorry driver shortage.

Wannabe truckers will only need to take one test for a rigid and articulated lorry, instead of two tests three weeks apart.

Tests will also be made shorter by removing 'reversing' and 'uncoupling and recoupling' exercises, and car drivers will be allowed to tow a trailer or caravan without taking a new test.

enticing more workers by.... reducing safety standards. gently caress lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CoolCab posted:

oh noooo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nonsense posted:

winchester is the true center of power

I've been reading a lot of Saxon history and it's really funny how these titchy little places like Winchester and Tamworth and Chippenham used to be major centres of power.

Tamworth, capital of Mercia!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436879842906103811

I will read every one of those 14,000 words and so will everyone else in the country

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really seems like there's a particularly desperate push from the terfs who know they're losing the war and looking all the more ghoulish and psychotic, and increasingly unable to hide their alignment with the far right.

Theyve been astroturfed by koch and other nazi networks like that and imo thats what explains their appearing out of nowhere to be a sizeable influence on national politics and staying power despite profound unpopularity
Also explains why they are aligned with nazis

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

crepeface posted:

enticing more workers by.... reducing safety standards. gently caress lol

they're removing the reversing test of all things? lmfao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been reading a lot of Saxon history and it's really funny how these titchy little places like Winchester and Tamworth and Chippenham used to be major centres of power.

Tamworth, capital of Mercia!

it’s wild, people moved around so much, migration is normal

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
been learning a lot about british history from ac valhalla. never met a saxon i wouldn't knife in that game

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436879842906103811

I will read every one of those 14,000 words and so will everyone else in the country
The Fourteen Thousand Words

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Starmer switching his leadership off and back on again for the umpteenth time lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Asking as a foreigner, does this Keith guy actually have any kind of organic base of support, or is he just some controlled opposition golem that capitalist henchmen worked to get into this position

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

another reset? lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Asking as a foreigner, does this Keith guy actually have any kind of organic base of support, or is he just some controlled opposition golem that capitalist henchmen worked to get into this position

You've answered your own question right there

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

https://twitter.com/cynical_bathtub/status/1436948753466990592

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Keirth Stammer

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

that's amateur level

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

panning opening scene of keith simpson in front of a chalkboard

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Watched a programme about the Plantagenets and then one about the War of the Roses. It was all very French, wasn't it?! I don't know whether I learnt that in school and forgot, or just didn't know! Anyway, Richard II was a bit of a dick wasn't he!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People forget but whole French provinces were under English control as late as the 15th century and we hung onto Calais for a hundred years after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pistol_Pete posted:

People forget but whole French provinces were under English control as late as the 15th century and we hung onto Calais for a hundred years after that.

The Channel Islands are still British crown dependencies.