Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Honestly Fulgrim seems the least likely to turncoat twice. Not just because of all the Daemon Primarchs he's the one who fell the furthest the fastest, but because it would mean admitting he was a fuckup and repenting. Seems utterly out of character. It should be Angron because that's the funniest possible option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Honestly Fulgrim seems the least likely to turncoat twice. Not just because of all the Daemon Primarchs he's the one who fell the furthest the fastest, but because it would mean admitting he was a fuckup and repenting. Seems utterly out of character. It should be Angron because that's the funniest possible option.

If they did it this way then Fulgrim would have never turned at all. His soul got kicked out of his body into a painting by a demon and so he never actually turned. And it makes sense he fell furthest fastest if it was the demon that possessed his body all along.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fulgrim found a way back into his body before Istvaan III and he still turned to Slaanesh because he wanted to rock and roll all night and party everyday.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, off the top of my head:

Rawne
Milo
Mkoll
Domor
Varl
Bonin
Beltayn
Larkin
Obel (I think he was still alive in Anarch?)
Caober
Lesp

So ten or eleven.

Brostin is still alive at least! The short story This is What Victory Feels Like (Forever the Same) in Sabbat War is excellent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Brostin is still alive at least! The short story This is What Victory Feels Like (Forever the Same) in Sabbat War is excellent.

Haven't read that one yet but gently caress yeah I had a feeling he wasn't dead. Takes more than a building to stop him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

Angron and Lorgar going good would be hilarious

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Still think they are going to go with the shards of Magnus reforming and going good. It was fairly well accepted during the Horus Heresy that he got the poo poo end of the stick and both he and Russ were aware they god duped by horus but at the time poo poo was kicking off and they couldn't work it out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Arc Hammer posted:

Haven't read that one yet but gently caress yeah I had a feeling he wasn't dead. Takes more than a building to stop him.

This pleases me greatly.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Angron and Lorgar going good would be hilarious

I could see Lorgar being a possibility after 10k years of meditation

Telsa Cola posted:

Still think they are going to go with the shards of Magnus reforming and going good. It was fairly well accepted during the Horus Heresy that he got the poo poo end of the stick and both he and Russ were aware they god duped by horus but at the time poo poo was kicking off and they couldn't work it out.

Have you read Fury of Magnus? This won't happen.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Or, and bear with me here, OR.... the Primarch who fell to Slaanesh just enjoys messing with people and it's been him all along. What better way to pervert the devotion of his children than to get them to inflict pain on him, that he enjoys, in a misguided effort to save him from an imaginary demon, all the while getting them to take pride in their efforts?

Which, ye know, it pure speclatory bullshit, but given how cack-handed Fulgrim's story was with the retcons entirely as likely.

Lorgar throws a bit of a fit at everyone being cool with fulgrim being replaced by a demon timeline wise right before calth so we have yet to see fulgrim ever not possessed by someone who could tell.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No way a traitor legion comes back into the fold, too many internal factions would be at war even if Guillimon or Elvis say otherwise.

Alpha Legion would be the closest, but they'd still be hunted down even though they never aligned with chaos directly.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

D-Pad posted:

I could see Lorgar being a possibility after 10k years of meditation

Have you read Fury of Magnus? This won't happen.

I have not but perusing the wiki and spoilers states that the literal shard of virtue and loyalty got put into the person who later became the first grey knight Supreme Master, was said to be primarch like, and does not have a confirmed death.

So there's an extremely obvious way for it to happen.

Edit: Hell Kaldor Drago could be Janus and would explain all the crazy poo poo he does.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 12, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is the paining in the fulgrim story like a xeno tech stasis chamber or is it literally a painting

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

Is the paining in the fulgrim story like a xeno tech stasis chamber or is it literally a painting

Its literally a riff on Dorian grey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok lol . That’s funny.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

euphronius posted:

Ok lol . That’s funny.

The “paint” includes blood and poo poo and presumably cum.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Philthy posted:

No way a traitor legion comes back into the fold, too many internal factions would be at war even if Guillimon or Elvis say otherwise.

Alpha Legion would be the closest, but they'd still be hunted down even though they never aligned with chaos directly.

The EC are still traitors, Guilliman will simply introduce the new Chapter Master of the Sons of the Phoenix, Mr. Mirgluf :v:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

NihilCredo posted:

The EC are still traitors, Guilliman will simply introduce the new Chapter Master of the Sons of the Phoenix, Mr. Mirgluf :v:

Okay, but only if Mirgluf dyes his hair and puts on a fake mustache.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I have not but perusing the wiki and spoilers states that the literal shard of virtue and loyalty got put into the person who later became the first grey knight Supreme Master, was said to be primarch like, and does not have a confirmed death.

Edit: Hell Kaldor Drago could be Janus and would explain all the crazy poo poo he does.

If you read Fury of Magnus, the idea that there are noble/virtuous shards is explicitly rejected. They can all be noble/good/etc. Magnus saves innocent, loyalist citizens' lives, even as he's infiltrating the Palace.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Nah I think Fury of Magnus made it pretty clear that is no longer an option. Here is the relevant excerpt, big spoilers if you haven't read the book yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/mvicg4/excerpt_fury_of_magnus_a_confrontation_with/

Basically the shards are pieces of his soul but they are just reflections of certain aspects. Even without the shards Magnus still had the virtue and loyalty, everything he did was not done only because he was missing something that would have otherwise prevented him from doing it. And as Malcador says that shard is gone anyway. Fury of Magnus is the capstone to the Heresy Magnus story.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Awww, man, I liked the way he went out, not sure if it's a common sentiment, but after relecting on it the only deaths that really bummed me out were Banda and Elodie's, weirdly enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I can't believe how incredibly boring Battle for the Abyss is. Like, I'm about 1/3 through it, and so far it's mostly just been ships I've never heard of and don't care about blowing up.

Like, it takes skill to make hundreds of pages of space battles this boring

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Battle for the Abyss was the worst heresy book by a large margin for a long time, it might still be.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm like 90% sure I'm gonna give up on it, life's too short and there's too many books

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

However far you've gotten, it's not getting any better and will in fact get worse.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
You know, I still regret reading Nemesis (truly a book that provided an experience like no other), but I feel like burning out on the HH books at that point saved me a lot of wasted reading time down the road from this thread's reactions sometimes. (That a fair take or are there any real diamonds in the rough to pick up?)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My thoughts on the books I've read, and what I'd rank them in my very subjective opinion

1 Horus Rising - S
2 False Gods - S
3 Galaxy in Flames - S
4 Flight of the Eisenstein - A
5 Fulgrim - B for the first chunk, A for the rest
6 Descent of Angels - A
7 Legion - A
8 Battle for the Abyss - DNF
9 Mechanicum - B-
10 Tales of Heresy - C to A depending on story
11 Fallen Angels - B
12 A Thousand Sons - A
13 The First Heretic - A
14 Prospero Burns - C+
19 Know No Fear - A
21 Fear to Tread - DNF
22 Shadows of Treachery - C to B+ depending on story
24 Betrayer - A

poo poo I've read a lot of these. I started picking and choosing based on ones I've heard good things about but most of them held up (aside from Prospero Burns but that's my own personal opinion)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Serpentis posted:

You know, I still regret reading Nemesis (truly a book that provided an experience like no other), but I feel like burning out on the HH books at that point saved me a lot of wasted reading time down the road from this thread's reactions sometimes. (That a fair take or are there any real diamonds in the rough to pick up?)

I went into Nemesis expecting the absolute worst and...actually didn't hate it.

The story of the protagonist Vindicare assassin even continues into the short "Gunsight" in the Death and Defiance Anthology and gets concluded in Garro Vow of Faith.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nemesis was godawful. I rate Horus Rising, Legion, Prospero Burns and Know No Fear above everything else, then The First Heretic, Betrayer, Galaxy in Flames, A Thousand Sons, Fulgrim and Scars, then Master of Mankind, False Gods, Path of Heaven, and some of the short stories, and then it's a steep cliff.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nemesis is the only HH book I've read, because I care little for Space Marines and even less for Primarchs. Someone in this thread described it as "basically a sitcom starring five Assassins" and that sounded extremely like my poo poo.

It was... not an accurate description of most of the book, but at least the initial recruitment and team play were fun to read. Once it started trying to create serious drama, though, it failed utterly. Sorry, I can't care about the tragic family backstory of Professional Sniper Dude and Laconic Poisoner Dudette.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 15, 2021

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I can't believe how incredibly boring Battle for the Abyss is. Like, I'm about 1/3 through it, and so far it's mostly just been ships I've never heard of and don't care about blowing up.

Like, it takes skill to make hundreds of pages of space battles this boring

Its a genuinely awful with no redeeming qualities. No payoff and there's no relevance to the story either

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mllaneza posted:

However far you've gotten, it's not getting any better and will in fact get worse.

It's great so many want to have the full HH collection. I just sold my hardback copy for $75. Your BL hardbacks are worth good money folks.

Anybody who hasn't read Master of Mankind should fix that soon.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Nemesis is the only HH book I've read, because I care little for Space Marines and even less for Primarchs. Someone in this thread described it as "basically a sitcom starring five Assassins" and that sounded extremely like my poo poo.

It was... not an accurate description of most of the book, but at least the initial recruitment and team play were fun to read. Once it started trying to create serious drama, though, it failed utterly. Sorry, I can't care about the tragic family backstory of Professional Sniper Dude and Laconic Poisoner Dudette.

Band of disparate assassins get thrown together dirty dozen style to take out a target is a great idea for a 40k book.

The mistake was making a Horus Heresy book with that premise and Horus as the target.

It's obvious they can't succeed from page one so what's the point.

Set at any later time and with a plausibly difficult (but won't derail our entire line of novels if they succeed) target. You'd have a great premise for a story.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Band of disparate assassins get thrown together dirty dozen style to take out a target is a great idea for a 40k book.

The mistake was making a Horus Heresy book with that premise and Horus as the target.

It's obvious they can't succeed from page one so what's the point.

Set at any later time and with a plausibly difficult (but won't derail our entire line of novels if they succeed) target. You'd have a great premise for a story.
It'd work fine if it was a little later and ended up being the mission to take out Konrad Curze even.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Or even during the siege since that story beat is pretty fuzzy (for now, maybe).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm like 90% sure I'm gonna give up on it, life's too short and there's too many books

Reading Battle for the Abyss is a rite of passage for newcomers to the Horus Heresy because it's the litmus test on mediocre/offensively bad warhammer fiction, you can safely give up on it and set it on fire with no remorse.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The new episode of Angels of Death has a dope cameo that I was super excited to see, even though I'm not a huge Blood Angels fan

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The new episode of Angels of Death has a dope cameo that I was super excited to see, even though I'm not a huge Blood Angels fan

Is it Trazyn the Infinite? He should cameo in everything, just stealin’ poo poo.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Xenomrph posted:

Is it Trazyn the Infinite? He should cameo in everything, just stealin’ poo poo.

I'd be down for Trazyn as an easter egg in the background nicking stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought the...liberators of relics were the guys from the dawn of war games.