Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Crosspost from the Legion thread:

Funzo posted:

Painted up Del and Gideon from Inferno Squadron.
Cloth highlights are rough, but I'm pretty happy with the faces for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cinara posted:

I am not a fan of the idea of backing a line of paints with no real information or reviews out on them. There's no shortage of good paint lines these days, so jumping in on an unknown seems like a weird move. Hope they turn out good though!

Yeah! It just feels weird to be like yes, I will buy these paints sight unseen even though I have no idea if they're any better or worse than Vallejo or Reaper paints etc. That's the power of branding I guess.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what are your experiences/opinions with Contrast Medium/Lahmian Medium? Have seen them in quite a few tutorials I've watched and it seems to really change up the properties of paints in interesting ways.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Funzo posted:

Crosspost from the Legion thread:

Those faces are excellent! They look very realistic.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Yeah! It just feels weird to be like yes, I will buy these paints sight unseen even though I have no idea if they're any better or worse than Vallejo or Reaper paints etc. That's the power of branding I guess.

Also I dunno how many people pay for his tutorials but I'd imagine he'll start using a lot of his own paints with those so that crowd may like the 1:1 matchups in their own collection.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Scalehobbyist in the US has a lot of the Vallejo metal colors in stock. I've ordered from them a few times and been pleased. I think they carry the full Vallejo line.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cinara posted:

I am not a fan of the idea of backing a line of paints with no real information or reviews out on them. There's no shortage of good paint lines these days, so jumping in on an unknown seems like a weird move. Hope they turn out good though!

Eej posted:

Honestly not that weird to me, I was about to say that I've never read/watched a review of paints in my life, but then I remembered thats not strictly true; When they were first released i watched a decent number of hobby youtubers give their thoughts on Contrast paints, but in fairness thats kind of a special case as they are kind of different from vallejo/reaper/other GW paints. But aside from that, I've bought loads of paints from different brands without doing any research on them whatsoever and outside a couple of outliers* I've never had a duff paint. I'm not buying these, but thats because a) they are kickstarter so wont be delivered for a while, I tend to buy an individual paint when I need it because planning ahead is for nerds, and b) I'm pretty stocked up on paints just now so dont need to back a whole range! But if someone needed a bunch of paints and liked Duncans work then (presuming the kickstarter gets you a decent price per ml of paint) I get someone backing it. If they are successful and go to retail I'll probably pick up a pot at some point if they have a colour I need at a price I like. If its poo poo I'd complain on here.

*gently caress Magos Purple.

DLC Inc posted:

what are your experiences/opinions with Contrast Medium/Lahmian Medium? Have seen them in quite a few tutorials I've watched and it seems to really change up the properties of paints in interesting ways.

I have them and dont use them as much as I should tbh. Contrast Medium does change the properties of the paint quite drastically, so I almost never use it (except for thinning down contrast paints to more of a glazey consistancy) because its not part of my regular workflow and it doesnt occur to me/I dont want to gently caress up my paintjob if it makes my paints behave in a way I wasnt expecting. I need to get round to playing with them more at some point, I used to have a couple of crappy old metal figures from the 90s lying round I used to try new techniques/test paints, I need to dig them out again.

Lahmian Medium is, as far as I know, just watered down Matt Medium with a trademarkable name. So I dont technically have Lahmian Medium, because I bought 250 ml of Windsor & Newton Matt Medium instead, which effectively means that I have a lifetimes supply for the price of about 2 pots of medium from GW. Put some in one of those little bottles you get for taking shampoo or whatever on holiday, watered it down appropriately, stuck a label on it that says "Lahmian Large". I've used it more than the contrast medium. It thins paints like I always think water should if that makes sense? Its less transformative than the contrast medium, its still paint/washes that behave like you expect paint/wash to behave, but you can thin it more without the pigments misbehaving. Havent used it much recently but I used it a lot before I started using a wet palette and when I was making washes for terrain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Paints are made of:

Pigment - The actual granulated chunks that give your paint colour, for proper artist paints there's usually one kind of pigment (ie Titanium Dioxide for Titanium White, Cadmium Sulfide for Cadmium Yellow) but for hobbyist paints it's usually a premade mixture of multiple pigments. The unknown quantity of pigments in hobby paints is one reason why mixing colours can be kinda awkward and why some people prize the hobby paints that are more or less pure pigments.
Binder - This is what holds the pigments together on a surface after it dies. In acrylic paints it's an acrylic polymer that's holding all your pigments together on your models.
Vehicle - Whatever carries the Pigment and Binder together, for acrylic paints this is water. Water and acrylic polymer create an emulsion that lets you work with the paint and when the water dries it leaves behind your acrylic film with pigment inside.

If you want to change the properties of your paint you usually only have two options, the binder or the vehicle, because generally speaking no one's grinding their own pigments at home (I mean, you can, and it's cool). Lahmian/Matt Medium is essentially just More acrylic binder, so your dilution is that your pigment:binder ratio decreases and since the binder is clear it makes the colour of your paint more translucent by having less pigment concentration. Adding water to thin your paint kinda does the same thing as well but it decreases both pigment and binder concentration which means you're thinning both the pigment (what you want) and the binder (not always what you want). If you add too much water then you break your paint because your binder is too seperated by water molecules to bind to itself and keep things together in a paint blob. Thinning binder with water also has the effect of decreasing viscosity which is basically making your paint more watery which can be useful for some things too.

Most of the magic of stuff like Contrast paints happens with the binder. Generally speaking Contrast paints are a mixture of high intensity pigments (like inks) plus an acrylic medium mixed with some kind of flow aid that makes your paint flow towards recesses which drags the majority of the pigment (but not all!) away from raised surfaces giving you that natural gradient look.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

SiKboy posted:

Honestly not that weird to me, I was about to say that I've never read/watched a review of paints in my life, but then I remembered thats not strictly true; When they were first released i watched a decent number of hobby youtubers give their thoughts on Contrast paints, but in fairness thats kind of a special case as they are kind of different from vallejo/reaper/other GW paints. But aside from that, I've bought loads of paints from different brands without doing any research on them whatsoever and outside a couple of outliers* I've never had a duff paint. I'm not buying these, but thats because a) they are kickstarter so wont be delivered for a while, I tend to buy an individual paint when I need it because planning ahead is for nerds, and b) I'm pretty stocked up on paints just now so dont need to back a whole range! But if someone needed a bunch of paints and liked Duncans work then (presuming the kickstarter gets you a decent price per ml of paint) I get someone backing it. If they are successful and go to retail I'll probably pick up a pot at some point if they have a colour I need at a price I like. If its poo poo I'd complain on here.

*gently caress Magos Purple.

I have them and dont use them as much as I should tbh. Contrast Medium does change the properties of the paint quite drastically, so I almost never use it (except for thinning down contrast paints to more of a glazey consistancy) because its not part of my regular workflow and it doesnt occur to me/I dont want to gently caress up my paintjob if it makes my paints behave in a way I wasnt expecting. I need to get round to playing with them more at some point, I used to have a couple of crappy old metal figures from the 90s lying round I used to try new techniques/test paints, I need to dig them out again.

Lahmian Medium is, as far as I know, just watered down Matt Medium with a trademarkable name. So I dont technically have Lahmian Medium, because I bought 250 ml of Windsor & Newton Matt Medium instead, which effectively means that I have a lifetimes supply for the price of about 2 pots of medium from GW. Put some in one of those little bottles you get for taking shampoo or whatever on holiday, watered it down appropriately, stuck a label on it that says "Lahmian Large". I've used it more than the contrast medium. It thins paints like I always think water should if that makes sense? Its less transformative than the contrast medium, its still paint/washes that behave like you expect paint/wash to behave, but you can thin it more without the pigments misbehaving. Havent used it much recently but I used it a lot before I started using a wet palette and when I was making washes for terrain.

I forget the exact recipe but I basically "made" Contrast medium with some distilled water, some glaze medium, a bit of matte medium (to give it a matte finish as it dries), a bit of drying retarder, and a drop of flow aid. Likewise for "making" Lahmian Medium, but this one was dead simple: roughly 50/50 mix of matte medium and distilled water, a little bit of drying retarder and again a drop of flow aid. Got a 30ml dropper bottle of each in my paint toolbox now.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Gonna call this guy done. The blade was a pain to do, I stripped it once, and I still don’t think it’s right but there’s no way I’m going to do it again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Halfway done with my saturday morning cartoon kommandos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't care for the squig initially, but love them all together now that I see where they were going.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

the fart question posted:

Gonna call this guy done. The blade was a pain to do, I stripped it once, and I still don’t think it’s right but there’s no way I’m going to do it again.

That's one tasty Necron Cryptek!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vallejo Metal Color is totally worth it for everything. It takes a while, but doing the skin manually with layering is really fun and is awesome practice. This recipe is so far my favorite of dark sea blue, light green, livery green (with some intermediaries of them mixed together) and then glazed down the ultra highlight with some of the medium highlight colors to make the transition less drastic.

It's sometimes hard to see on my phone when stuff is out of focus due to depth of field so uh yeah just pretend like I'm just showing specific things off. Also that I'm being lazy and only doing fancy highlights on the arms/shoulders, using contrast paints on the leather or other stuff above the waist on these guys since literally no one would give a poo poo that these guys' pants aren't perfect. Except the boots which is just dark sea grey them black templar contrast, and when drybrushing the base if a little gets on the boots that's fine because it'll tie the boots into the base. I may hit the khaki up with some other contrast paint later but IDK.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Just a regular old WIP tech priest nothing to see here.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted up some additional turret options.

x-post from warhams thread

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that sprawling fascist galactic ethnostate sure does make some cute tanks

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

punishedkissinger posted:

Finally finishing up my Frostgrave mooks. Gave them a light code of Mr. Color Super Clear III followed by MiG Ultra Matte. I like the finish overall. I definitely made a lot of mistakes with these guys but overall i'm pretty happy and learned a lot. I probably could keep fixing my little mistakes for forever, but at a certain point I have to get these on the table and use them. Might as well move on to the next batch now I think.

Quoting from many pages ago, but for this OSL did you paint the mini as you would any other and then go over the areas with your light source colours? Or did you go right to the yellow/orange/etc?

I've only done OSL twice, and both times I painted the mini in whatever colours it was supposed to be (clothes, skin, etc) and then drybrushed yellow/orange/red over the lit up areas. It looked decent enough. Now I've got a cultist who will be standing in front of a raised brazier and the plan is to do blue or purple fire, but if he's going to be lit up from the front do I even bother with painting anything but the colours of the fire?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Guzwar posted:

Quoting from many pages ago, but for this OSL did you paint the mini as you would any other and then go over the areas with your light source colours? Or did you go right to the yellow/orange/etc?

I've only done OSL twice, and both times I painted the mini in whatever colours it was supposed to be (clothes, skin, etc) and then drybrushed yellow/orange/red over the lit up areas. It looked decent enough. Now I've got a cultist who will be standing in front of a raised brazier and the plan is to do blue or purple fire, but if he's going to be lit up from the front do I even bother with painting anything but the colours of the fire?

The former, which is probably the wrong way to go. His robe was mostly off-white so it ended up taking the lantern-colored washes really easily, but darkening the other areas was a pain.

someone else should probably drop some tips since i am still pretty garbage at this technique

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2021

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013
"Lord of Lion" bust from El Greco Miniatures. First attempt with a wet palette (great!) and NMM (don't think I nailed it but then again should have chosen a simpler model!)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zihuatanejo posted:

"Lord of Lion" bust from El Greco Miniatures. First attempt with a wet palette (great!) and NMM (don't think I nailed it but then again should have chosen a simpler model!)

i think the metals look great on this honestly. I've never tried NMM myself but you seem pretty successful with it here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody have experience with the Mcfarlane artist's proof figures?

I just got the battle sister and don't want to screw it up, and Google is delivering way too many results for me to pick a good guide.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zihuatanejo posted:

I think the metal is really good! It has that worn brass look that the armor from the movies had. I think it could definitely use a bit more contrast (darker darks, going all the way up to pure white)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Zihuatanejo posted:

I look at this, I see metal, which means you nailed it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
On the OSL discussion, I have only ever seen people paint the mini then add the lighting effect over the top. One exception would be if you are painting a very strong dramatic light source that 'whites out' the underlying colour completely over a large area.

Zihuatanejo posted:

That is a great metal effect, well done!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Zihuatanejo posted:

This is metal AF

"Are you referring to the model, the paint job, or the NMM effect?"

Yes

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Just got my vallejo metal colors in from Canada, as well as the vortex mixer I ordered off of Amazon, and it's like fuckin' night and day compared to how I was painting before. Between the silver going over the old metals I'd been using (Leadbelcher -> Nuln Oil -> VMA Chrome) and not only covering completely in one coat but looking amazingly smooth as well, and the vortex mixer blitzing my Apothecary White and shaking loose all the pigment that had settled to the bottom, I honestly don't even know how I managed to paint as much as I have before getting either. If any of y'all are on the fence about either, just pull the trigger and go for them (especially the vortex mixer).

Zihuatanejo posted:

quote:

NMM (don't think I nailed it

When half the thread is saying you nailed it, pretty sure you nailed it. Only thing that I would say would be to push the highlights on the metals a little further, really sell that sheen despite being old and worn. Even then, that's an absolutely minor thing, and it's really good as it is now, so be proud of it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Aniodia posted:

Just got my vallejo metal colors in from Canada, as well as the vortex mixer I ordered off of Amazon, and it's like fuckin' night and day compared to how I was painting before. Between the silver going over the old metals I'd been using (Leadbelcher -> Nuln Oil -> VMA Chrome) and not only covering completely in one coat but looking amazingly smooth as well, and the vortex mixer blitzing my Apothecary White and shaking loose all the pigment that had settled to the bottom, I honestly don't even know how I managed to paint as much as I have before getting either. If any of y'all are on the fence about either, just pull the trigger and go for them (especially the vortex mixer).

God, on the one hand almost sixty bucks, but on the other I've got a pot of Ulthuan Grey that sucks so loving much that I want to leave it on that vortex mixer until they shut off the power like the torture scene in Taken.

EDIT: gently caress it, done. Both the Ulthuan Grey and Apothecary White I picked up to run through the stormtroopers in the Legion starter box are massive assholes to mix, difficult to use, and have stopped my momentum.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 11, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Squiggle posted:

God, on the one hand almost sixty bucks, but on the other I've got a pot of Ulthuan Grey that sucks so loving much that I want to leave it on that vortex mixer until they shut off the power like the torture scene in Taken.

EDIT: gently caress it, done. Both the Ulthuan Grey and Apothecary White I picked up to run through the stormtroopers in the Legion starter box are massive assholes to mix, difficult to use, and have stopped my momentum.

I would like to suggest Vallejo Game Color's wolf grey and ghost white as good replacements for those poo poo colors.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Got some cheap skeletons off of Etsy as wanted some models I didn't really care about to practice/experiment on. Decided to try batch painting (prior I've only ever painted one mini at a time) them with mainly washes and dry-brushing to see how it worked out (I late discovered this used to actually be the normal method for painting skeletons) and am pretty happy with the results, and it was fun getting a whole bunch of models done at once (still need to finish the bases):

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You know I even painted the first fucker with VGC Wolf Grey blended up into a highlight of Dead White with an early shading with some dark wash, and it looks pretty good but it took a lot of layers to get right. Wasn't super pleased with the shading, but still happy overall.

I have two more in progress, one I painted the same way but using Ulthuan Grey (that looks splotchy as hell, but I also didn't dilute the shade step) and another with some Apothecary White as a base that I then just Wolf Greyed over because it didn't look right on my primer. THAT mini I diluted the wash, and it looks much less splotchy and smooth.

All hail Wolf Grey. I'll look into Ghost grey too.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013
Cheers all for the kind words and feedback on the NMM! Definitely excited to try with a model with a few less angles to really understand the theory behind it and put the feedback into play.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Got my hands on some Battle for Skull Pass stuff

love that terrain piece

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Me at 6pm: ah nice, got all 30 Boyz based in green, just gotta blast through the other basic color scheme colors and they'll be done!

Me at 8:30pm: okay I have one Boss Nob done, maybe I won't get 30 Boyz painted tonight...

Edit-- make that TWO boss nobs for the night!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 12, 2021

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Good work! Progress is progress.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“using these speed painting techniques, you can do 20 models or more start to finish in a single evening” - a lie perpetuated by dozens of mini painting youtube channels

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

On paper doing a batch of 30 models is great for efficiency and consistency. But I just cant do that many models in an assembly line. Honestly if I'm batch painting the batch cant be any more than maybe 10, and even 10 is a push for me. 15 models in to painting a bunch of boots or whatever all the same colour and I'm just done. At least if you are doing a batch of 8-10 by the time you are getting bored of boots you are ready to move on to trousers or guns or pouches or whatever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i have a set of 24 ork boyz (bought 6 of those easy-build packs of 4) that i tried to do in one batch and it was just too much. maybe one day I’ll finish them off

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I watched a Squidmar video recently on his top tips to improve your painting. One of them was to paint fewer minis.

Don’t try to rush through an army. Work mini by mini. And improve.

I tried to batch paining and I got no joy from it. I don’t mind blocking in some elements in a batch, but I then return to each mini and complete them one by one.

Mind you. I’m slow and crap at painting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ugleb posted:

On the OSL discussion, I have only ever seen people paint the mini then add the lighting effect over the top. One exception would be if you are painting a very strong dramatic light source that 'whites out' the underlying colour completely over a large area.

That is a great metal effect, well done!

I painted my Space Hulk guys by priming black, and then doing a "zenithal" with white ink airbrushed from the light source, and then used glazes exclusively.

I dont think my execution is particularly amazing, but doing OSL this way, with a mini in pitch darkness lit only by a single lightsource, gets you a pretty dramatic result.