Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The recent history of Sark and the Barclay brothers is fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i thought the sarks were killed at the red wedding

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

crepeface posted:

enticing more workers by.... reducing safety standards. gently caress lol

anything as long as they don't have to pay them more

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

i say swears online posted:

no, Sark is an island. you’re thinking of sharks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1437006823844982787?s=20

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i say swears online posted:

no, Sark is an island. you’re thinking of the reed wedding.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Asking as a foreigner, does this Keith guy actually have any kind of organic base of support, or is he just some controlled opposition golem that capitalist henchmen worked to get into this position

He was parachuted from his job as the guy who rubberstamps government coverups into a safe seat as an MP in the labour party in 2015 and had an accompanying media campaign already calling for him as leader at that point

Then he's been surrounded and lead by the most right-wing elements of labour the whole time who seem to be preying on his political naivety to pretend they can help him win, but theyve mainly been using him to purge the party of the left and settle old scores instead.

The more boring option is he's just a creature of Progress, the right wing labour faction who support him.
The more fun option is that he's also being pushed by the security state to capture labour after they viewed Corbynism as a threat, similar to how they captured and neutered The Guardian after the Snowden revelations were published there, making that paper a threat.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The threat of Corbyn was massive, if the UK had gone 5 years without a war that would have delegitimised the whole security state.

Either by proving that we don't need eternal war and getting their budgets cut, or by delegitimising British democracy when they would have done it anyway against the governments wishes.

You can see the Independent articles arguing against civilian control of the military if you close your eyes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

The threat of Corbyn was massive, if the UK had gone 5 years without a war that would have delegitimised the whole security state.

Either by proving that we don't need eternal war and getting their budgets cut, or by delegitimising British democracy when they would have done it anyway against the governments wishes.

You can see the Independent articles arguing against civilian control of the military if you close your eyes

I always thought the day Corbyn got elected as PM, London would go back to the old smog days, just from all the burning documents. On day two there'd be a coup.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pistol_Pete posted:

People forget but whole French provinces were under English control as late as the 15th century and we hung onto Calais for a hundred years after that.
Other way around. England was under French control.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Another whilst. wtf i know they know it's a dead word why are they trying to bring it back

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The blairite I know told me that it's only fair that the right are purging the left after they got purged in the corbyn years. When asked about tom the reply was: well he was ousted wasn't he. Also this guy programs missiles for a living.

e: also he said he mostly works there because of how good the pension is. he's 30+-5 years.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gonadic io posted:

The blairite I know told me that it's only fair that the right are purging the left after they got purged in the corbyn years. When asked about tom the reply was: well he was ousted wasn't he. Also this guy programs missiles for a living.

e: also he said he mostly works there because of how good the pension is. he's 30+-5 years.

this is insanely wrong lol even during the corbyn years there were active purges of left-wing members for stuff like having tweets up saying to vote Green in like 2010

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gonadic io posted:

I mean it was worth it all because we did get rid of some real bastards like

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Stop voting labour and you will have UFO hover murder drones and autonomous murder hex blocks, why would anyone vote for a loving prosecutor when you could vote for this awesome poo poo instead

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Sep 12, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Another whilst. wtf i know they know it's a dead word why are they trying to bring it back

Whomst do these people think they are??

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pryor on Fire posted:

Stop voting labour and you will have UFO hover murder drones and autonomous murder hex blocks, why would anyone vote for a loving prosecutor when you could vote for this awesome poo poo instead

did the navy hire Dahir İnşaat now?

also #4 on the first slide looks what the Argentinians did to HMS Sheffield

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

god drat it I hate that we’re bastards cos this is absolutely loving rad

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Syncopated posted:

they're removing the reversing test of all things? lmfao

British trucks -- sorry lorries -- are strong trucks. Strong Britain strong trucks. The strongest animal is the shark, and like the shark British trucks can only move forward. Forward to a new golden age.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lmao they can carry "humanitarian aid" payload

God what a loving waste of our resources and time

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

i guess it's technically better to sink the defense budget into unworkable boondoggles than into poo poo that could actually be used to murder poor bastards in the third world

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

did the navy hire Dahir İnşaat now?

lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i like that research paper who tracked the cost of developing new fighter jets and came to the result that some insane proportion of GDP would be required in the near future , which people at the time scoffed at but then they soon started the F-35 program…

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Syncopated posted:

they're removing the reversing test of all things? lmfao

well if there's one thing brits are good at, it's going backwards lmao

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lmao they can carry "humanitarian aid" payload

God what a loving waste of our resources and time

The name's origin came from the propaganda Molotov produced during the Winter War, mainly his declaration on Soviet state radio that bombing missions over Finland were actually airborne humanitarian food deliveries for their starving neighbours.[2] As a result, the Finns sarcastically dubbed the Soviet cluster bombs "Molotov bread baskets" in reference to Molotov's propaganda broadcasts.[3] When the hand-held bottle firebomb was developed to attack Soviet tanks, the Finns called it the "Molotov cocktail", as "a drink to go with his food parcels".[4]

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

can't get over how the first one's just an extremely over complicated version of kinetic bombardment.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

god drat it I hate that we’re bastards cos this is absolutely loving rad

it's really not.

who are these for fighting? There's no more time to fight. The biosphere is on the brink of collapse. What future are these for? Is it just wishful thinking of some high tech fantasy or were they being pragmatic and its for water wars? In which case they've decided that diplomacy has already failed and the only hope is for space drones to kill all the climate refugees before they drink all our reservoirs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
they're to provide humanitarian aid in the english channel and the irish sea

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Theyr to give money to defence contractors to pretend to try and make scifi novels real

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's really not.

who are these for fighting? There's no more time to fight. The biosphere is on the brink of collapse. What future are these for? Is it just wishful thinking of some high tech fantasy or were they being pragmatic and its for water wars? In which case they've decided that diplomacy has already failed and the only hope is for space drones to kill all the climate refugees before they drink all our reservoirs.

They're for defending the fascist UK from fascist France.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's really not.

no obviously it’s not actually rad in the real world, but in an ‘I like sci fi and cool poo poo’ way it absolutely it is rad.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1436811503647313923?s=19

United Ireland under Sinn Fein.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kieth with yet another loving relaunch

https://skwawkbox.org/2021/09/12/exclusive-starmer-pinning-conference-hopes-on-cheesy-starmers-stars/

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lol this conference is going to be Starmerism firing on all cylinders and still being a rudderless mess with no one of any ability or vision in sight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namesake posted:

Lol this conference is going to be Starmerism firing on all cylinders and still being a rudderless mess with no one of any ability or vision in sight.

but you repeat yourself

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/12/workers-shouldnt-wait-for-labour-victory-says-unites-sharon-graham

Workers should not pin all their hopes on Labour winning the next election to improve pay and conditions after the Covid-19 pandemic, the new leader of one of Britain’s biggest trade unions has warned.

In a significant intervention weeks before Sir Keir Starmer’s first in-person party speech, Sharon Graham said Unite would “get back to what it says on the trade union tin” and expressed reservations about the limits of what MPs could achieve

She said she wanted to turn Unite into a “powerful union capable of winning for workers”, adding that was the only way they would not pay the price for the pandemic.

Writing in the Guardian, Graham claimed many people underestimated her in the race to succeed Len McCluskey, including her rivals Steve Turner and Gerard Coyne, who “shut up shop assuming their own victory, while our troops were still on the ground battling for every vote”.

She fuelled speculation Unite would develop a calmer but more distant relationship with Starmer’s Labour party, saying: “Post-pandemic, I believe we need to face new challenges with new responses. We need to get back to what it says on the trade union tin – fight for jobs, pay and conditions.

We can’t keep hoping for the election of a Labour government to solve our members’ problems. Putting all our eggs in the Westminster basket will not deliver. When did the parliamentary Labour party win a collective bargaining agreement for workers at a workplace? We cannot have the political tail wagging Unite’s industrial dog any longer.”

Graham also did not shy away from the strategy known as leverage, a form of industrial action with which she was familiar as the former head of Unite’s organising and leverage department.

She dismissed as “scare stories” tales of Unite members “harassing employers’ families, including their children”, saying this was not true and that “aghast employers” had simply shed “crocodile tears”.

“Leverage is a response to a hostile conflict with employers which uses ‘brain’ as well as ‘brawn’,” Graham wrote. “It takes union strategies into the forensic investigation of a business to see what is its real standing. Action follows. This is way beyond the traditional response of strike action and has been hugely successful.”

Graham will join other trade union leaders virtually at the Trades Union Congress that begins this weekend and is expected to speak on Tuesday. It will come two weeks before Starmer’s first in-person speech since being elected Labour leader in April 2020.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

that rules

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/MrYesWeCan/status/1437085600100794374?s=20

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this sharon graham lady seems smart, godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah I wanted her to pull out because of how close Coyne ran it before but I'm glad she won in the end, not ashamed to say I was wrong