Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
WIP Cadians

not going to sugarcoat it, really unhappy with how these are turning out

i’m still very much a novice so i was following the https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enUqWuU-Nns GW video guide and my results so far are disappointing

the agrax earthshade dried patchy on some dudes and way too dark on all. I was hoping for a smooth darkening of the entire model as per the video but they just look dirty

video says they will darken so “add Zandri Dust in the manner of a layer paint” but that looks like messy poo poo too, its really patchy

how does anyone ever paint enough of these guys to field

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Geisladisk posted:

I painted my Space Hulk guys by priming black, and then doing a "zenithal" with white ink airbrushed from the light source, and then used glazes exclusively.

I dont think my execution is particularly amazing, but doing OSL this way, with a mini in pitch darkness lit only by a single lightsource, gets you a pretty dramatic result.

That's cool, you have very much made the light source the entire focus of the squad. It is very thematic and I can see why you paint it light source first.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Scandalous posted:

WIP Cadians

i’m still very much a novice so i was following the https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enUqWuU-Nns GW video guide and my results so far are disappointing

the agrax earthshade dried patchy on some dudes and way too dark on all. I was hoping for a smooth darkening of the entire model as per the video but they just look dirty

video says they will darken so “add Zandri Dust in the manner of a layer paint” but that looks like messy poo poo too, its really patchy

So first if you still consider yourself a novice it's going to be super discouraging to compare yourself against the professional house painter for GW. Bad times abound. Aim for improvement not perfection. Also things have changed in 7 years that may make things easier or described more clearly. Same guy pretty much same model 7 years later and you can instantly tell his change in comfortability in front of the camera.

Secondly how much did you shake the agrax before you applied it? I recently had Agrax that I didn't shake enough and it looked glossy when it dried because the components separated out slightly. And how much did you add. I suspect you would need to add quite a bit more or use a second coat of shade (more targeted this time) to get that dark and uniformed shading seen in the video.

As for the Zandri dust highlight. Personally I find that kind of very difficult to do without giving a very defined gradient or getting a drop of highlight color into the recesses. This could be tricker but you could try diluting the highlight color more so it's a glaze and slowly work the color up but if you are struggling with the number of mini's to paint this will take so much more time.

Also check out 6 Common mistakes and how to fix them I think the 2 and 3 tips on washing may help.

Regardless keep up the good work your guys are absolutely table playable and if you are painting to get a god tier result well this is part of the process in getting better.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Scandalous posted:

WIP Cadians

While I don’t have any specific advice, just remember you don’t need to aim for perfection, just improvement. These guys honestly look pretty darn good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A lot of folks underestimate how good 20 half-decently painted models look when they’re standing together with a nice simple base and the rims painted in vallejo black grey

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MasterBuilder posted:

As for the Zandri dust highlight. Personally I find that kind of very difficult to do without giving a very defined gradient or getting a drop of highlight color into the recesses. This could be tricker but you could try diluting the highlight color more so it's a glaze and slowly work the color up but if you are struggling with the number of mini's to paint this will take so much more time.

Something I've found with the shock troops is that I think I get a better look to the cloth by drybrushing a highlight over the khaki base BEFORE I move on to painting anything else. Both the drybrushing and doing the highlights before the shading helps avoid getting bright layer paint in the recesses, and even after you wash over it the pre-highlight comes through. Then I just do a bit of edge highlighting or extra drybrushing at the very end to perk up the folds. I picked it up from this video instead of the GW tutorial, which I think is a better guide to follow.

He straight up primes it in Zandri Dust, but I primed mine in grey and just did the khaki/zandri as a base coat and went from there.

And on the agrax, give it a solid shake and don't be afraid to dilute it down with a bit of water either - I just hosed up a stormtrooper by not diluting down the black nuln oil equivalent, and it looks patchy as hell. You don't always have to do this, but...it doesn't really hurt much either and seems to make it less likely to pool weird.
EDIT: OH and I don't know if this applies, but I also found I got better wash results if the minis are dry. Most of my Cadians, I based and shaded on different days and it seems to gradient better, even though I was told the acrylic paint dries pretty quick. I could be nuts.

The Cadians are more of an challenge to a novice than the Space Marines were, for sure - a lot of fabric and faces. :mad: You've got this! I swear there's nothing more disappointing on this earth than an in-progress mini.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 12, 2021

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Squiggle posted:

Something I've found with the shock troops is that I think I get a better look to the cloth by drybrushing a highlight over the khaki base BEFORE I move on to painting anything else. Both drybrushing and changing the order of operations helps avoid highlights in the recesses, and even after you wash over it the pre-highlight comes through. Then I just do a bit of edge highlighting or extra drybrushing at the very end to perk up the folds. I picked it up from this video instead of the GW tutorial, which I think is a better guide to follow.

That's a very good pull and I'm going to try that on a kelermorph as part of my admech+genestealer = bladed cog mashup. Something else from that video that is not worthy (and I don't always full grasp) is at arms length and based only the most egregious painting mistakes are noticeable. I'm talking crazy eyes mispaints. Take a picture at arms length and see what you notice. Fix those and then worry about the reddit shots.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
thank you for the words of encouragement, I’m feeling very defeated by my tiny plastic mans

Squiggle posted:

Something I've found with the shock troops is that I think I get a better look to the cloth by drybrushing a highlight over the khaki base BEFORE I move on to painting anything else. Both the drybrushing and doing the highlights before the shading helps avoid getting bright layer paint in the recesses, and even after you wash over it the pre-highlight comes through. Then I just do a bit of edge highlighting or extra drybrushing at the very end to perk up the folds. I picked it up from this video instead of the GW tutorial, which I think is a better guide to follow.
this looks useful, thank you

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Toni Ironsides is ready to punch cowboys, wizards, zombies, and various monsters to death. This is my first attempt at painting a mini using nothing but oil paint, and I like it! It's also my first attempt at NMM, which went okay, I guess.
Toni is boss of the Miners & Steamfitters Union, so it's okay if their clothes are greasy and rough workwear. It's the perfect team to practice a new technique that might end up looking rough and greasy.
Some of the oil on the face and hair is still wet, and a little shiny.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Squiggle posted:

I picked it up from this video instead of the GW tutorial, which I think is a better guide to follow.

This dude is so chill to listen to. He also has a Poxwalker painting guide where he spends half the video being grossed out by the model and it's pretty amusing.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I've been kind of low key as of late, mainly because my local gaming group had been doing an escalation crusade league, and there wasn't a lot of painting.

But now that the league is done, I've gone back to my thousand sons with Magnus. Hoped to finish him before the codex came out, but that dropped faster than I thought. Full, small, gallery here.

Here he is on the table in his first game yesterday. He won, which is a good sign.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

punishedkissinger posted:

Fantasy type. I have an order in for the Frostrgrave female mooks which i'm looking forward too. I honestly haven't had great luck looking through Reaper for this, but I have been trying to stick to Bones Black and Bones USA so maybe I'm missing some decent metals.

This sounds good. Would be a good excuse to break out the oil set I haven't used yet either way.

Should I be concerned about having thinner on my nice brushes? I really baby my kolinskys (vigorous application of brush soap after each use).

Late reply to this, but your nice brushes are A-OK to be exposed to oil and mineral spirit.

Acrylics are actually much harsher on your brushes than oils, this is mostly because of their crazy fast drying time. Just clean them with spirit and let them dry like you were using water.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

A friend and I just started some armies in 40k; he's going Orcs and I went Dark Eldar/Drukhari. Picked up a Combat Patrol box at my local game store as it seems like a good deal for the models you get and it's making me pretty excited to get these painted up. We've never played a game before, but 40k seems like tons of fun.

The only mini I've ever painted before is a single-piece goblin that I used for D&D, so having these multipart kits is both very cool and intimidating. This is probably a very basic question, but should I assemble the mini totally before priming or should I leave the arms/weapons off and paint those separately? The rifles seem to cover up most of the chest, so I was wondering if it's necessary to paint that area first then paint the arms/rifle and then glue them to the model.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Chip McFuck posted:

A friend and I just started some armies in 40k; he's going Orcs and I went Dark Eldar/Drukhari. Picked up a Combat Patrol box at my local game store as it seems like a good deal for the models you get and it's making me pretty excited to get these painted up. We've never played a game before, but 40k seems like tons of fun.

The only mini I've ever painted before is a single-piece goblin that I used for D&D, so having these multipart kits is both very cool and intimidating. This is probably a very basic question, but should I assemble the mini totally before priming or should I leave the arms/weapons off and paint those separately? The rifles seem to cover up most of the chest, so I was wondering if it's necessary to paint that area first then paint the arms/rifle and then glue them to the model.

You'll probably get a lot of different answers but my opinion is: just assemble them fully and prime them whole. Anything that's hard to reach is also hard to see.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

You'll probably get a lot of different answers but my opinion is: just assemble them fully and prime them whole. Anything that's hard to reach is also hard to see.

This is 95% where I land, too. Can't paint it? Can't see it.

There are a few exceptions - sometimes there are big cloaks that have a ton of visible area that is nevertheless made inaccessible by their legs or base. And sometimes, it's easier to paint several heads en-masse on the sprue and glue them on after. But eeeenh...most of the time I'd rather have the poses set in stone first.

In your specific guns-covering-the-chest example, I'll say this: you're actually planning to PLAY the game, which means you're going to be seeing these minis in big piles three feet from your eyes, putting you at a big advantage over the painting-IS-the-game losers (me) in the "things I have to give a poo poo about" race. Take the gift that is a reprieve from trying to paint clean edge highlights on Kabalite armor chest pieces.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 13, 2021

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Pretty happy with how this Chronomancer came out:

Speaking of "only paint what you can see" it was a major pain trying to get the inside of all those tentacles. Ended up leaving some of it bare, but hopefully it won't be noticeable.

Just one more model to go until 1000 points...! Really ready to paint something in a different color scheme now.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know if oils thinned with white spirit will eat airbrush primer or should I put a varnish down first?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what should i do for these eyes?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Snapping turtle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Squiggle posted:

Snapping turtle.

oh woah its like, brush head shapes lines, perfect.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beffer posted:

I watched a Squidmar video recently on his top tips to improve your painting. One of them was to paint fewer minis.

Don’t try to rush through an army. Work mini by mini. And improve.

I tried to batch paining and I got no joy from it. I don’t mind blocking in some elements in a batch, but I then return to each mini and complete them one by one.

Mind you. I’m slow and crap at painting!

I think that painting single minis and army paintings are to a certain degree two different skillsets, though there is of course some overlap. If you want to get good at painting armies, you need to practice painting armies. If you want to learn how to paint huge armies and try to do that by painting individual minis, you'll never get good at painting armies.

For me, the biggest step to learning to paint armies was to switch to napoleonics. Suddenly I was painting hundreds of minis per year, because I had to paint hundreds of minis per year. I was painting 30 mini batches. I was painting 60 man batches. I would never have learned how to do that if I had stuck with painting individual minis - instead I'd be busy learning glazes, wet blending, OSL effects and other "display mini painting" skills that would have made me a much better painter for individual minis, but left me just as bad as before at painting armies.

If you are slow at painting, focusing more in individual minis will not make you that much faster.

That said, when I started I struggled with 8 man batches. But that's a part of getting good at painting large armies quickly, it's pushing that limit further and further until you can at least paint 30-40 minis at once when you have to.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 13, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For me the complexity of the mini depends on how big my batches are too. So for my Sisters of Battle I can only max out at a batch of 5 because there's a lot going on and I'll lose my mind otherwise. However my Ork boys or Skaven Clan Rats I can go batches of 20.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Scandalous posted:

WIP Cadians

Counterpoint: these dudes actually look really good.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

adventurer kid. the clover leaves are from epic basing

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Counterpoint: these dudes actually look really good.

:agreed:

For a novice painter, and in the vein of "get 'em done and on the table", those Cadians are perfectly fine and acceptable. I'd have no problems playing against them :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Scandalous posted:

WIP Cadians

You may need to shake the washes more thoroughly next time. Mine tend to come out glossy and patchy when I don't shake them enough, so definitely keep that in mind. Something you can always do when using this "color, wash" technique is go back with the original color you used on some of the raised areas, and then you can use a paint that is a step brighter to highlight if you wish, but for regular troops (especially IG) it's not necessary.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad. Maybe a little rough around the edges but that gets refined as time moves forward and you keep practicing. Definitely get some metallics for the various metal bits, like the weapons and aquilas. A silver and a gold should be all you need. Also get a color for the plasmagun coils!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Ristolaz posted:

Squiggle posted:

This is 95% where I land, too. Can't paint it? Can't see it.

There are a few exceptions - sometimes there are big cloaks that have a ton of visible area that is nevertheless made inaccessible by their legs or base. And sometimes, it's easier to paint several heads en-masse on the sprue and glue them on after. But eeeenh...most of the time I'd rather have the poses set in stone first.

In your specific guns-covering-the-chest example, I'll say this: you're actually planning to PLAY the game, which means you're going to be seeing these minis in big piles three feet from your eyes, putting you at a big advantage over the painting-IS-the-game losers (me) in the "things I have to give a poo poo about" race. Take the gift that is a reprieve from trying to paint clean edge highlights on Kabalite armor chest pieces.

Thanks for the advice! Good to know that I don't have to go too crazy on the detail. I'm going to start working on them in a couple days when I can get my hands on a couple of paints that I'd like to use. Definitely going to be out of my comfort zone, but I'll keep the thread updated!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I posted some of these dudes here a while ago but I finally finished my Necromunda Cawdor gang this weekend. It includes a kit-bashed Stig Shambler just in time for an official GW model to be announced. Oh well.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

deadking posted:

I posted some of these dudes here a while ago but I finally finished my Necromunda Cawdor gang this weekend. It includes a kit-bashed Stig Shambler just in time for an official GW model to be announced. Oh well.

These look great especially the shambler, really hit that Necromunda aesthetic!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

kzin602 posted:

Does anybody know if oils thinned with white spirit will eat airbrush primer or should I put a varnish down first?

If your primer is enamel based then they can eat through it, provided the primer isn't cured. Or you are super abrasive and soak your model in spirit afterwards.

You'll be fine

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I finally got all my infinity dudes painted and photographed!

I stuffed all the photos in a imgur album since there are 47 photos in there, but here are the two group photos.

https://imgur.com/a/MdznY5L

:prepop:

(Don't worry I stopped trying to paint the eyes at a certain point)

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Really nice cover, what did you use to make it? And what color did you use for the ginger dudes hair?

Overall super neat little plastic people.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

MasterBuilder posted:

Really nice cover, what did you use to make it? And what color did you use for the ginger dudes hair?

Overall super neat little plastic people.

They're heavy metal!

Wrr posted:

The wall is just three pieces of flat cork board, all super glued together. The L shape is, obviously, two of the pieces. The shot where the back of the wall is visible shows the third piece, which is glued to the bottom portion of the large part of the wall; I did it to to increase the surface area that the smaller part of the L had to glue on to, and to sorta make it a more complex shape.

Then, I used AK Concrete texture paint all over the stuff as a base layer, using a small spatula to make it smooth. I believe the broken top and sides, where the cork was broken from the main body, was not covered in the concrete paint. I think I also used some dark grays as base coating in the broken bits too, I think
Everything got a couple layers of various washes, pretty light, mid, and strong tone. Darker in the corners and in the recesses, obviously. The bullet holes were done with a pin vise. I made sure to create some depth, but not so much as the bunch through the cork board. The holes got a black wash inside of them to make them look deeper. I also dry brushed it, I think? With some lighter grey or something. Also I must have hit it with some whiteish color, maybe a beige or ice yellow? I can see white there so, it was something that I can't remember.

The ground is AK Sandy Desert texture paint, pushed up the to the edge of the wall to hide where it glued to the base and to make it look like wind has blown it up the side a bit.
The little brush is potentially hiding a mistake, but maybe not. They're real good for that though.

I think the hair involves either AK beige red or Vallejo Orange brown to a certain degree? Most likely mixed with sunny skin tone? Dunno! It does look pretty good so maybe i'll start keeping track of my recipes

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

does it help washes if i hit the model with a clearcoat beforehand?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yup. Gloss will lower the surface tension and allow your wash to better go into cracks. This is especially true if you put some gloss into your wash, so you have gloss on gloss. You can use this trick to avoid pooling on large flat surfaces when using acrylic washes.

Matte varnish gives your wash more 'teeth' to hold onto a surface by increasing surface area for bonding. This makes it more difficult to remove and less easy to achieve a clean look... but this can be desirable for weathering effects.

Clearcoats can change paint behavior pretty noticeably, but are often ignored because they are an extra step. Here's an example of this in action:

Each of the four corners was sealed with a different clearcoat before I applied chipping fluids and then scratched things up. Pretty dramatic difference in the end result.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thank you! that looks great

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Xpost:

Finished the Chaplain from the Patrol Box to work off the rust from a couple months off. Came out a bit more grim dark than I intended. I recently changed to ushabti bone for scrolls/seals etc, and its coming out way too dark after a wash. Even if I water it down. The text I did is barely legible. Ill have to work on the mix next time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fingat posted:

Xpost:

Finished the Chaplain from the Patrol Box to work off the rust from a couple months off. Came out a bit more grim dark than I intended. I recently changed to ushabti bone for scrolls/seals etc, and its coming out way too dark after a wash. Even if I water it down. The text I did is barely legible. Ill have to work on the mix next time.

I understand if it's not what you were going for but I think it's awesome.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So I'm going to take a stab at painting some minis for D&D. I'm just going to follow along with Goobertown's intro video. But. One of my minis is metal instead of plastic - do I care? Simple primer, simple paints, simple brushes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

So I'm going to take a stab at painting some minis for D&D. I'm just going to follow along with Goobertown's intro video. But. One of my minis is metal instead of plastic - do I care? Simple primer, simple paints, simple brushes?
You should probably wash it in warm soapy water, then rinse it in cold water before you prime it. Metal minis often have a lot more release agent on them, and that'll make your paint fall off.
Painting metal isn't any different, but a varnishing when you're finished is a really good idea, so the paint doesn't chip off.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 14, 2021