Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zantie posted:

This is how I spend my weekends now, making gifs of cases growing in Washington state over time.

https://i.imgur.com/mU7GOsZ.mp4

holy poo poo that jump in August

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nexous posted:

gotta upgrade to the secureclick bro

6XXX has an exhale filter, secure click doesn’t

That means I can wear the cool skull decoration around friends I care about and also keep them safe if I’m asymptomatically infected

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 13, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Called ambulance for chest tightness, palpitations and dizziness. ECG was fine, blood pressure and pulse elevated, but not emergency levels. Ambulance left. Two days later, dizziness and left arm buzzing, called ambulance again, same thing, blood sugar also fine, but opted for the ER this time. Got blood works, neurologic test (smile, touch nose, heel to knee, etc.), a COVID test, and wore a monitor for about six hours, nothing of note and also negative for COVID, although some dude in the room was running a fever and on oxygen and got wheeled off to the infectious disease ward, so that might change in the coming days, although I did my best to keep the mask on the whole time. If he was positive he'll definitely kill the unmasked fat lady in her 70s who had fallen down an escalator at the airport. Most of the staff didn't wear PPE or did so inconsistently.

Also weed suddenly fucks me up in a bad way now and I still don't know what's wrong. What a fun week. Just wonderful.

this was me last year, it was unchecked anxiety culminating in panic attacks. I was sitting on my PC just browsing whatever and it was like I got hit by this wave of dizziness and couldn’t stand hands going numb etc, Wife drove me to the ER, not saying that’s you but stress/anxiety and the full knowledge of everything going on can really gently caress you up. same for me so many tests ran nothing wrong, elevated BP would be expected during a panic attack. anyways upped my exercise and added lexapro been alot better.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Please be well goons

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Caseman posted:

Please be well goons

no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

Hmm, you could make a conspiracy theory out of that....

QAnon and pizzagate started circulating specifically after Epstein was arrested. Not only is it a way to bury google search results, it's also a way to be able to write-off anyone investigating "conspiracy theories" as being a QAnon-er

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Years ago I went to a chiropractor for a couple of years. Then I read Spin Doctors: The Chiropractic Industry Under Examination which confirmed my suspicions.

The book is a bit dated and Canadian centric, but it does mention a half dozen cases of people dying while frothing and convulsing on the treatment table, the industry's attempts at damage control, and it's efforts to become legitimate by partnering with established universities. (UVic came within a hair-breadth of getting suckered in until someone in their bureaucracy took the time to do some homework.) Recommend reading.

Seventh Day Adventists have always been big on healthy living and caring for "God's Temple" (your body). One of them received divine inspiration concerning the "subluxion" and how to correct it by performing the parlour trick of making a joint produce a popping sound by cavitation and established the field of chiropractic. Another SDA health professional from the same period was concerned about mentally ill patients making themselves crazier by masturbating and was experimenting with bland breakfast food that wouldn't stimulate them to sexual excesses. He came up with boiled corn meal pressed and dried into flakes. He got into a fight with his brother who thought this stuff might actually be edible with added sugar because SDAs considered sugar a great evil (got that one right, at least). His brother hosed off with the recipe and started selling Kellog's Corn Flakes to the general public.

So, the next time you're having breakfast and admiring the rooster on the box, remember that it all started by trying to keep bored asylum inmates from :fap:

Pity chiropractic hasn't made a similar contribution to society.

Blah blah blah

we've all seen The Road to Wellville, it only played every three hours on comedy central in the early 2000s.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Steve Yun posted:

6XXX has an exhale filter, secure click doesn’t

it’s not even n95 what’s the point might as well put a bandana over it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Caseman posted:

Please be well goons

more than zero goons are about to descend on Indianapolis for gencon this week

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

nexous posted:

been through all of this and “it’s just anxiety”

I thought I knew what that felt like after having dealt with it for more than two decades, but I guess not. They admitted me after I mentioned familial heart issues, but I'm apparently a picture of health as far as that's concerned.

Digestion also triggers it somehow, so that's awesome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

more than zero goons are about to descend on Indianapolis for gencon this week
Why are there conventions during a loving pandemic?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zantie posted:

This is how I spend my weekends now, making animations of cases growing in Washington state over time. Next on my list is hospitalizations!

https://i.imgur.com/mU7GOsZ.mp4

[Edit] The little '+' next to some dates in Jan. are estimates as I'm missing those three weeks.

lol at how insanely rapid the delta curve was in August

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nexous posted:

it’s not even n95 what’s the point might as well put a bandana over it

it has filter media and is sealed so there’s no leakage

maybe not N95 for the exhale but a lot better than nothing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1437211683030638592?s=21

ffs, literally any one of us in this thread could’ve handled this better

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mystes posted:

to their credit, not many nerds showed up to pax, so at least they are acting a bit better than the general population

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

found where Biden copied his COVID strategy from

mystes
May 31, 2006

At this rate I can't even imagine what mu is going to be like.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

the corporations that back conventions are going to go bankrupt otherwise

I'm not saying it's a moral reason, but that's where priorities are

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Reseated skull mask still looks cool even without exhale filter yay

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool that we were able to do all that poo poo online until everyone decided covid we over.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

I thought I knew what that felt like after having dealt with it for more than two decades, but I guess not. They admitted me after I mentioned familial heart issues, but I'm apparently a picture of health as far as that's concerned.

acid reflux is fun stuff

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

SplitSoul posted:

yeah that’s mine too. triggers a lot right after eating. eating certain things causes shooting pains in my left pec and arm I guess those nerves are connected or something. between that and the constant numbness in my face and neck from cervical fusion I’m convinced I’m having a stroke or heart attack like 90% of any given day

cognitive behavioral therapy helps a ton just gotta be mindful whenever it kicks in that it’s happened before, it will happen again, everything’s ok

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

conventions usually have a contract with the hotel or the convention space that will host them, that means they have to run their convention

the only relevant escape clause in this case, would be if the government declares that there's a crisis/disaster such that the convention cannot be run

that generally hasn't happened across the US, because Open Er Up etc.

if the organizers refuse to run the convention, then they're going to be penalized to the point that it's probably going to kill the convention as a business

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BBGAfrica/status/1437201198919061506?s=20
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1437062193133010946?s=20

the endemic covid messaging at this point has collapsed down to just promising that COVID will only kill tens of thousands every year if we can get more people vaccinated

https://twitter.com/ProfEmilyOster/status/1437195986032603138?s=20

Oster seems weirdly excited to vaccinate her kids despite COVID being no big deal to kids??

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lmao endemic? loving endemic?!?

does anyone know what that actually means?

R_0 ~ 1 for Delta :rolleyes:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SteveDeaceShow/status/1436199203575848963?s=20
https://twitter.com/SharylAttkisson/status/1436736444404584450?s=20

lol if the right wing position in the US becomes focused on the need to infect everyone so they acquire "natural immunity"

the problem is that neither a singular vaccine nor recovery from infection is guaranteed to prevent reinfection. so NPIs are are needed to actually suppress transmission, but those are politically untenable in the US.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for the kind words. This is a whole new level of terrifying for me and seemingly came out of nowhere, I've been doomscrolling and toking for years without a hitch, so what the gently caress.

Koirhor posted:

this was me last year, it was unchecked anxiety culminating in panic attacks. I was sitting on my PC just browsing whatever and it was like I got hit by this wave of dizziness and couldn’t stand hands going numb etc, Wife drove me to the ER, not saying that’s you but stress/anxiety and the full knowledge of everything going on can really gently caress you up. same for me so many tests ran nothing wrong, elevated BP would be expected during a panic attack. anyways upped my exercise and added lexapro been alot better.

Been told to monitor it morning and evening, my BP and pulse is elevated even when I just woke up and not feeling the symptoms, but as the EMT pointed out that's a normal side-effect of Effexor.

Gonna start taking more walks and have cut coffee completely for a while. So far it hasn't paid off.

nexous posted:

yeah that’s mine too. triggers a lot right after eating. eating certain things causes shooting pains in my left pec and arm I guess those nerves are connected or something. between that and the constant numbness in my face and neck from cervical fusion I’m convinced I’m having a stroke or heart attack like 90% of any given day

cognitive behavioral therapy helps a ton just gotta be mindful whenever it kicks in that it’s happened before, it will happen again, everything’s ok

Jesus, I'm sorry, that sounds really awful. I already had a lot of tools to deal with anxiety, but they're no longer useful apparently, if that's what it is.

Weed used to help me keep a baseline of "alright", too. I'm gonna hate to give that up.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 13, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

quote:

here are my stupid predictions for the next year (usa only):
- measured cases will level off for a while/drop a little bit, but hospitalizations will go up.
- in about three-ish weeks once all the kids have been in school long enough and parents have gotten lazy and people stop wearing masks, we'll see a jump in cases and hospitalizations
- like three states will pretend to do anything
- cases will peak end of june, and schools having been closed for two weeks will be used as justification for july 4th celebrations (might be off on this but basically any place thats had schools closed for two weeks will be used as an example)
- we'll be told "only celebrate outside, but dont wear a mask, its ok"
- cases will stay steady for a while and then drop because schools have been closed for at least a month
- cases will really really drop (like, they'll be the lowest we'll see them all year) at end of august
- this will be justified to open schools up
- around now immunity from first covid cases will wane, plus we'll have a really bad variant
- cases will go up steadily and wane up and down until november
- deaths will explode from the holidays, but they'll be considered locked/truly normalized, enough people will be vaxxinated that its not deemed "a problem"
- at this point, we have locked in normalized, seasonal covid that goes up and we stop measuring cases. talking about covid extremely is the equivilent of thinking the flu is worth worrying about
- five countries will undergo some kind of revolution and well go "lol should have vaxxed"

honestly i wasnt far off, but the timeline moved a lot quicker, and cases exploded in august and not september. mostly we got a variant sooner than i had guessed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mdemone posted:

Whenever anyone uses the word endemic they're just making the loving horrible argument "We can't eliminate covid completely now therefore it's endemic therefore we should stop doing anything to control it's spread" which is missing tons of steps.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's literally exactly the same as climate change

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

mdemone posted:

endemic means the peasants stop caring about it and return to worshipping at their corporate designated number shrine as is appropriate

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Koirhor posted:

i mean when asked if someone is overweight people imagine the average bloated american land whale but that extra 10lbs of beer gut is enough to do damage.

5’10” dude should ideally weight 155 lbs

I hate BMI, if you want to see how fat you are in a way that predicts the likelihood of your heart exploding try waist to hip ratio. larger than .9 means you're fat, above 1 is obese. Less than .8 is the opposite problem.

example. your rear end is 40" so your waist better be 36" or less.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

It's cool that we were able to do all that poo poo online until everyone decided covid we over.

absolutely

but it comes down to multi-year hotel contracts and cities/states ending all states of emergency, etc that would let people get out of them for another year

orgs should just walk on principle and if everyone did it would probably be fine, but .....

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

honestly i wasnt far off, but the timeline moved a lot quicker, and cases exploded in august and not september. mostly we got a variant sooner than i had guessed.

remember the right wing "scariant" eye-rolling? lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for the kind words. This is a whole new level of terrifying for me and seemingly came out of nowhere, I've been doomscrolling and toking for years without a hitch, so what the gently caress.

Been told to monitor it morning and evening, my BP and pulse is elevated even when I just woke up and not feeling the symptoms, but as the EMT pointed out that's a normal side-effect of Effexor.

Gonna start taking more walks and have cut coffee completely for a while. So far it hasn't paid off.

try meditation, seriously. I actually had wonderful time with the Muse headband. it's a pretty cool biofeedback trainer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

I hate BMI, if you want to see how fat you are in a way that predicts the likelihood of your heart exploding try waist to hip ratio. larger than .9 means you're fat, above 1 is obese. Less than .8 is the opposite problem.

example. your rear end is 40" so your waist better be 36" or less.

this blows for those of us (typically white men?) who were born sadly without an rear end

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

yeah lockdowns would (still) save lives but hurt number

no one knows what endemic covid looks like but we know we're getting there eventually. the lovely plan was to hold out (nope) until vaccines (woops) got us to herd immunity (lol)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

mystes posted:

Whenever anyone uses the word endemic they're just making the loving horrible argument "We can't eliminate covid completely now therefore it's endemic therefore we should stop doing anything to control it's spread" which is missing tons of steps.

"endemic" just means "shut up about it and get back to work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/debdrens/status/1437204246009688069

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 13, 2021