Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
Voted NDP today in advance polls. My riding goes either NDP or CPC historically so it’s nice to at least feel like my vote has a chance of loving over the conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

kaom posted:

I’ve been trying to figure out how political donations work, having never done one before. Finding the max amount was easy. I think all donations are public record, is that right?

https://www.elections.ca/wpapps/WPF/EN/CCS/Index?returntype=1

Although I’m guessing this wouldn’t be indexed by any search engines, so someone would need to be pretty bored/dedicated to track down what an individual did?

(This is pure paranoia but the industry I work in definitely has the reputation of leaning the other direction than I do politically, so…)

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=pol/man/ec20231&document=p2&lang=e says "When total contributions from an individual are over $200, their name, partial address and contribution amounts disclosed in the financial return will be published on the Elections Canada website."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a website that compares donation rates for each party?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

pokeyman posted:

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=pol/man/ec20231&document=p2&lang=e says "When total contributions from an individual are over $200, their name, partial address and contribution amounts disclosed in the financial return will be published on the Elections Canada website."

Thanks!

I saw some named contributions as small as 15$ when looking through the search, but I guess that would make sense to be published if the individual ultimately went over this total amount.

Side note I’m really impressed at this site. They have a section on crypto donations, example scenarios… it’s good.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, poo poo. HAven't really been following Canadian politics because we don't have enough time left on earth to think of that on top of all the other poo poo going on, but a quick skim tells me its basically Liberals are Centrist assholes who will do nothing, Conservatives are conservative and thus poo poo, NDP are better than them on climate, worse on immigration (unless I'm completely misreading that), Greens want to just get drunk and go home because they're not going to win anyways, the People's Party is Chuds.

Is that about right?

I feel like voting NDP would be the best idea for my politics, but I can't tell if my reading comprehension has failed me on their stance on refugees.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What have you been reading about NDP's immigration policy?

The Greens are not a party in any meaningful sense and neither are the PPC. The Greens appeared to be a party right up until the moment they had more than a single MP elected at which point they completely melted down because they had no coherent platform or shared values. The PPC is similar in that regard, if generally different kinds of fringe nuts, and as of yet no seat in the house.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 13, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Well, poo poo. HAven't really been following Canadian politics because we don't have enough time left on earth to think of that on top of all the other poo poo going on, but a quick skim tells me its basically Liberals are Centrist assholes who will do nothing, Conservatives are conservative and thus poo poo, NDP are better than them on climate, worse on immigration (unless I'm completely misreading that), Greens want to just get drunk and go home because they're not going to win anyways, the People's Party is Chuds.

Is that about right?

I feel like voting NDP would be the best idea for my politics, but I can't tell if my reading comprehension has failed me on their stance on refugees.

Yes, the NDP are generally considered the best of a really bad bunch of loving assholes but they're basically a permanent third party because while everyone likes them, no one votes for them because when it comes time to put up or shut up fear of the Conservatives drives everyone towards the Liberals and the Liberals win... sort of.

Also there's the Bloc, who somehow manage to fill every square on the political compass meme at the same time, but their entire platform is basically "More money for Quebec. gently caress you.", and they get really mad if you say that they're a bunch of racists for some reason :thunk: (It's because Quebec is hella racist, don't tell anyone :ssh:)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

infernal machines posted:

What have you been reading about NDP's immigration policy?

The Greens are not a party in any meaningful sense and neither are the PPC. The Greens appeared to be a party right up until the moment they had more than a single MP elected at which point they completely melted down because they had no coherent platform or shared values. The PPC is similar in that regard, if generally different kinds of fringe nuts and as of yet, no seat in the house.

from the op:

They have promised to suspend the Safe Third-Party Agreement with the United States, which would allow refugees arriving in the United States to continue on to Canada to make refugee claims there.

I'm pretty sure I misread that

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, the NDP are generally considered the best of a really bad bunch of loving assholes but they're basically a permanent third party because while everyone likes them, no one votes for them because when it comes time to put up or shut up fear of the Conservatives drives everyone towards the Liberals and the Liberals win... sort of.

Also there's the Bloc, who somehow manage to fill every square on the political compass meme at the same time, but their entire platform is basically "More money for Quebec. gently caress you.", and they get really mad if you say that they're a bunch of racists for some reason :thunk: (It's because Quebec is hella racist, don't tell anyone :ssh:)

Oh right, Bloc exists. I remember the Bloc. gently caress the Bloc.

Completely unrelated I do kind of remember in highschool we had a mock-election, with parties trying to secure our votes with speeches. Now keep in mind, this was a Catholic Highschool in the mid 2000s, but there was a Family Values Party among them, and I pretty vividly remember that guy going up on stage, starting to talk about being opposed to gay marriage and the like, and suddenly there was a wave of disgusted muttering from the student body, myself included. That is one of the few things about that jigonist period I can look back on and smile.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ashsaber posted:

from the op:

They have promised to suspend the Safe Third-Party Agreement with the United States, which would allow refugees arriving in the United States to continue on to Canada to make refugee claims there.

I'm pretty sure I misread that

You might have, yes. Right now, if you're fleeing somewhere and you land in the US, rather than say Canada, you must claim asylum there. For various reasons, that is not ideal for everyone (see: 2016 to 2020). So by suspending the agreement they would allow people entering Canada through the US/Canada border to claim asylum here instead of being forced to go through the US program.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

You might have, yes. Right now, if you're fleeing somewhere and you land in the US, rather than say Canada, you must claim asylum there. For various reasons, that is not ideal for everyone (see: 2016 to 2020). So by suspending the agreement they would allow people entering Canada through the US/Canada border to claim asylum here instead of being forced to go through the US program.

Yeah, I had read that as refugees were free to claim asylum in Canada already, but the agreement being suspended would prevent that. Glad its not the case, and I can vote with no remorse now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have the feeling it's one of those things people didn't pay much attention to until recently.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Typo posted:

I just realized the BQ really really loving wants to get rid of the monarchy LOL

I'm really interested in the idea that indigenous treaties are between First Nations and the Crown. Remove the Crown and the agreement is null and void (as opposed to "just ignored by one side").

Really curious if the BQ has thought out their clever plan here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Side note: there hasn't been much if any change under the Biden administration, so that's 2016-present.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I have the feeling it's one of those things people didn't pay much attention to until recently.

It’s actually died down recently. It was getting a lot of press with how the Trump administration handled immigration policies. That was why immigration advocates and lawyers up here were pushing to have the agreement ruled illegal in Canada (I think that case is still in the courts). It got a little press early in the pandemic in a “America isn’t safe for refugees but Canada is” way (lol).

Regardless of the status of the court case, the NDP policy in the OP was (and may still be) something refugee and immigrant friendly that was supported by people already working in the field. Definitely not an anti-immigration campaign plank.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm really interested in the idea that indigenous treaties are between First Nations and the Crown. Remove the Crown and the agreement is null and void (as opposed to "just ignored by one side").

Really curious if the BQ has thought out their clever plan here.

My understanding is that Quebec has actually done a remarkably good job of sorting out land claims/treaty issues, so they really don’t have anything to worry about on that front (as a province or as a separate nation).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's because Quebec is hella racist, don't tell anyone :ssh:
We must protect, our way of life! :heritage:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is there a good reason Ontario and Alberta don't have their own federal parties to run on racism and more money for us gently caress you? I get the stupid reasons the bloc exists for, just not why no one has tried to copy the model of securing the future of our provincial culture.

gently caress, I can hear Dougie's radio ad decrying the injustice of starving white Ontario babies in contrast to those fat cats living it up over in NS or whatever.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is there a good reason Ontario and Alberta don't have their own federal parties to run on racism and more money for us gently caress you? I get the stupid reasons the bloc exists for, just not why no one has tried to copy the model of securing the future of our provincial culture.

gently caress, I can hear Dougie's radio ad decrying the injustice of starving white Ontario babies in contrast to those fat cats living it up over in NS or whatever.

They did have a party like that in Alberta. It was called the wild rose party. They merged with the PCs to prevent future vote splitting.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Ontario has no culture. Alberta has those silly hats, at least.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kraftwerk posted:

They did have a party like that in Alberta. It was called the wild rose party. They merged with the PCs to prevent future vote splitting.

They were provincial. And we already have their federal equivalent in the PPC.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I can't imagine a lot of immigrants landing at the Red Deer International Airport and deciding to stay

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Cocaine Bear posted:

The other provinces are a combination of not individualistic enough and not big enough.

The Maverick Party likes to pretend that they are for 'Western Canada' (as if BC and the territories have much in common with the praire wasteland) but they're the closest Alberta equivalent of Bloc while still not really being very close. The difference here is that the Conservatives are pretty much already the Alberta party so there isn't much force behind a different regional party since the only different thing they offer is their extremely stupid secession idea.

Ontario is certainly big enough but there's no unique Ontario culture that would bring people together to concentrate votes on a regional party. Being in Ottawa, my area is far more culturally similar to Gatineau than it is to say...Timmins or something.

Same story for BC. The Atlantic provinces are too small.

Quebec is a very unique situation of having millions of people with a unifying culture that sets them apart from the rest of Canada enough.

You can look to Belgium to see a country that has numerous very specific regional parties, usually split on linguistic lines.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Well Alberta is only 34 seat and was less than that before so even if they win by landslide, they still don't really have much influence compared to Quebec's 78 seats. I don't know about Ontario but I think it's harder to tell Ottawa they have to play ball or you'll go your own way when Ottawa is inside your provincial borders...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's no need for an Ontario party because we already control the federal government. You could stop counting votes the minute the polls close in Ontario and you wouldn't get a meaningfully different outcome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fidelitious posted:

Quebec is a very unique situation of having millions of people with a unifying culture that sets them apart from the rest of Canada enough.

Unless you live in the Pontiac.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The reform party was even more overwhelmingly supported in Alberta / Sask than the CPC, right? I'd classify them as pretty close to a regional party.

The CPC nowadays still relies pretty heavily on the 905 and SW Ontario if they're going to be successful. Alberta is a lock, but that only gets them a good NDP showing's worth of seats.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 13, 2021

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The conservatives aren't the Alberta party, because they know that people here will vote for them whatever they do, meaning they basically don't have to do anything for us anyway.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Hand Knit posted:

Given that this was in the context of parties constituting a majority of the house signing a declaration to unseat the governing party, it was unclear whether the the Prime Minister actually commanded the confidence of the legislature.

No, it wasn't. The government has the confidence of the House until it doesn't, and the House had not defeated the government on a matter of confidence. Convention dictates that the prime minister should resign if it is clear that they will lose the confidence of the House.

The governor general inserting her own opinion (instead of long-standing convention) into how she interprets advice from the prime minister is how you get another constitutional crisis like the King-Byng Affair or the Dismissal.

Hand Knit posted:

the Governor General should have asked the House to endorse the request itself

What? The Crown has no business telling Parliament what should be on the agenda.

linoleum floors posted:

The gently caress are you whining about. You don't even live here

:stare:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cocaine Bear posted:

The Reform Party was basically the "gently caress you pay attention to the West" party, but they eventually had to merge with the federal Tories again to have any hope of beating the Liberals, though of course they got their boy elected leader in the form of noted trash human Stephen Harper.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Greens are not a party in any meaningful sense and neither are the PPC. The Greens appeared to be a party right up until the moment they had more than a single MP elected at which point they completely melted down because they had no coherent platform or shared values.

I don't see how the Green platform is the problem? It has been extensive and member-voted for decades, is usually costed*, and is mostly reasonable and consistent. The current election document, despite what are bound to be claims to the contrary, has no mentions of wifi, electro*, homeopathy, naturopathy, chiro*, etc. There are naturally things most readers here will object to, such as nuclear power bans, and whatever this is:

quote:

Restructure the $3 billion Next Policy Framework (NPF-2023-2028) to shift program dollars from supporting corporate-controlled industrial agriculture to supporting agriculture that is based on ecological and animal welfare principles, including organic and regenerative practices, permaculture, localized food systems, higher welfare farming systems and short value chains.
Recognize and act on the enormous potential of carbon sequestration in soil and by implementing policies and programs that provide incentives for sustainably increasing organic matter (carbon capture) in the soil through regenerative practices while ensuring that these incentives are equitable, inclusive, and do not disadvantage small farmers.

But anyway, if you want to point to one thing being the problem, it absolutely is not the platform. Vetting, candidate recruitment, leadership, campaign strategies, etc. etc. all come well ahead.

* to the extent that any of platform costings are meaningful, which ... well, you decide.

I did not feel the need to dignify that post with a response.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

tagesschau posted:

No, it wasn't. The government has the confidence of the House until it doesn't, and the House had not defeated the government on a matter of confidence. Convention dictates that the prime minister should resign if it is clear that they will lose the confidence of the House.

The governor general inserting her own opinion (instead of long-standing convention) into how she interprets advice from the prime minister is how you get another constitutional crisis like the King-Byng Affair or the Dismissal.

What? The Crown has no business telling Parliament what should be on the agenda.

I'm well aware of what convention dictates. Convention is bad because, in cases like these, it allows for the power of the Crown to be abused.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Crown is a colonialist institution rebranded as a tourist attraction, and the only power it should have is the power to go quietly away and let someone other than the CEO of Ethnic Cleansing, Inc. act as our head of state.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Hand Knit posted:

I'm well aware of what convention dictates. Convention is bad because, in cases like these, it allows for the power of the Crown to be abused.

i mean, if the alternative is the crown actually has an opinion and decides things, i'm not 100% sure that's a better option.

i probably wouldn't have had too much of an issue if jean was able to find some wonkish justification for refusing the prorogation that still hewed to convention somehow. but just saying "i think this is a bad idea and I won't allow it" is way too dangerous for anything short of "i'd like to officially declare me ruler for life".

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

642 people voted for Max Bernier in my riding last election. I expect at least the same number for the new PPC candidate. Close race between the Liberal and CPC candidates.

Turnout for the last time was anemic compared to previous elections. Interested to see how it will be this time, especially due to COVID.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

enki42 posted:

i mean, if the alternative is the crown actually has an opinion and decides things, i'm not 100% sure that's a better option.

i probably wouldn't have had too much of an issue if jean was able to find some wonkish justification for refusing the prorogation that still hewed to convention somehow. but just saying "i think this is a bad idea and I won't allow it" is way too dangerous for anything short of "i'd like to officially declare me ruler for life".

The power of the Crown is bad whether being wielded by the governor general or the prime minister. This is why the governor general is supposed to only do things that have the support of the house, because the house has some level of democratic legitimacy. It's also why saying 'but the mace man hadn't read the right magical incantations yet' isn't a convincing justification of Jean granting Harper's request to prorogue.

This is part of why:

flakeloaf posted:

The Crown is a colonialist institution rebranded as a tourist attraction, and the only power it should have is the power to go quietly away and let someone other than the CEO of Ethnic Cleansing, Inc. act as our head of state.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ctv said that more people voted on day one of advanced polling than they did in 2019. I wonder if more people will vote this year overall or if this is more a sign that people are using alternative voting methods rather than waiting in big lines on election day.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

My completely anecdotal experience of an advance poll at a library I went to on Saturday afternoon is that there were not a lot of people waiting to vote.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

How good has the advance polls messaging been anyway?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

gently caress it... Guys richmond hill will probably go conservative this election, but I'm still voting NDP.
I can't in my right mind stomach rewarding Trudeau for this stupid election and his false promises.

I'm going to go drop my vote in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/Emilie_Ni/status/1437190851248201730?s=20

Nice of O'Toole to give the Liberals something to run on during the next week.