Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

Remember when Steve Spurrier brought Wuerrfel to the Skins to be his starting QB? What a wild time to be a Skins fan.

I remember him wearing a glove on his throwing hand and I was tremendously embarrassed for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SI published a retrospective on the 2017 Florida coaching search. Chip Kelly was the #1 target, Dan Mullen was #2, and Scott Frost was #3. Mullen would've taken the Tennessee job if he had not been offered the Florida job.

Florida wasn't impressed with Frost:

quote:

Three days before visiting Kelly for a second time, members of the search committee drove to Orlando to meet with Frost on Thursday, Nov. 16, two days before Frost’s 9–0 Knights played Temple. They describe the interview with Frost as unimpressive, and they emerged with a similar feeling: He’s not ready for this big of a job.

TFW when you finally get to escape Starkville:

quote:

Megan Mullen, Dan’s wife, remembers the call. She was standing in the couple’s backyard in Starkville when her husband, phone in hand, walked out of the house and toward her. The Mullens had fielded job calls almost every offseason while in Starkville. Miami, Penn State, Michigan. For whatever reason, none of them worked out.

This one was different.

“I’ve never seen the look in Dan’s eyes that I saw when he got the call that day. Sixteen years and I’ve never seen it,” she says. “I said, ‘Dan, that’s it—we’re going to Florida.’”

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm surprised PSU is apparently favored against Auburn. Have I been drinking too much of the SEC koolaid?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Auburn was not really expected to be that good and has played two of the worst teams in the country. Plus it's at Penn State.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It really does have the feel of a "this can go either way" game, so you might as well just give the less than a touchdown nod to the home team.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I didn’t think it was possible for me to think about rooting against Auburn but by god Harsin found a way

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I didn’t think it was possible for me to think about rooting against Auburn but by god Harsin found a way
What has he done? Guide my sword.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fifty Three posted:

Been dumb about covid. Not quite Rolovich dumb where he outright said he was going to refuse to get vaccinated but a lot of "well it's a personal choice" hemming and hawing and refusing to say whether or not he got it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Fifty Three posted:

Tried to be the thoughtful moderate on the vaccination issue.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/USC_mikebohn/status/1437524310348886018

Clay Helton is gone

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

USC has fired Clay Helton:

https://twitter.com/usc_mikebohn/status/1437524310348886018?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
loving finally

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It says a lot that the USC brain trust apparently couldn't be bothered to discuss this over the weekend. Nah, it can wait until Monday morning.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

so was that one just like never gonna work at all or what, I honestly have forgotten the consensus on the hire

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

so was that one just like never gonna work at all or what, I honestly have forgotten the consensus on the hire

I think everyone thought it was pretty :effort: from the start. IIRC they made him interim after Sark stepped down and let it ride when they finished that season okay and the players liked him? I think he's been "just okay" at a level that you probably would've expected from the beginning; it's just been allowed to go on much longer than anyone would've dreamed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It was a very weird and lazy hire for a school that should be able to hire just about anyone they want outside of a tiny handful of names, which is sort of par for the course with them

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Urbz crafting his Jags exit strategy as of about 15 minutes ago...

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 13, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope Urbz resigns from the Jags and take this job

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

He was the interim after Sark resigned, team played a lot better under him that year, then won the Rose Bowl his second season. The biggest issue was that the previous AD (Lynn Swann) gave him a super expensive extension after the Rose Bowl win, so USC hasn't wanted to fire him because they had a lot of other, more important issues to deal with.

But I guess they finally decided this was the time

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope Urbz resigns from the Jags and take this job

Making Bobby Petrino's Falcons tenure look like a raging success

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wonder if Chris Petersen could be talked out of retirement? I don't know if that would be a good hire or a bad one (probably depends on whether he actually still feels like coaching), but it would be very USC.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

*sets James Franklin to USC Doomsday Clock at 4 minutes to midnight*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
How quickly does Urban get a call

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jack State biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich hahaha

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Fun scenario: they poach Chip Kelly

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Pac 12 football has lost a lot of luster in the last half decade, but I kinda have to assume the USC brand is still strong enough for them to pull someone good.

Then again they did hang onto this guy way past it was clear he was never gonna get them to be more than a slightly above average team which aint it for USC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
USC should steal Gary Patterson now that TCU is locked out of the P4. They can offer more money and are in a cooler location.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Wonder if Chris Petersen could be talked out of retirement? I don't know if that would be a good hire or a bad one (probably depends on whether he actually still feels like coaching), but it would be very USC.

I think if you look this up I floated that his retirement might be fake so he could do exactly this when it happened.

I think it will probably be Fickell given the AD connection, but I would probably make Cristobal say no first

SquirrelyPSU posted:

*sets James Franklin to USC Doomsday Clock at 4 minutes to midnight*

I will say this with Fickell going to Penn State probably makes more sense for everyone involved

Spacebump posted:

USC should steal Gary Patterson now that TCU is locked out of the P4. They can offer more money and are in a cooler location.

I mean they could but why would they when his team has been bad for like four years now and he's 60?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 13, 2021

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Wow... how exciting. :geno:

https://twitter.com/TBDBITL/status/1437449231950778376?s=20

Also totally unrelated to anything that's being discussed... I really hope Oregon has a great season and ends up in the CFP. I miss having a good west coast team in the nat'l conversation

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Listen y'all try to tell me that touching a rock and then jogging down a slight incline is the most thrilling thing in sports so let's not throw stones

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MourningView posted:

Listen y'all try to tell me that touching a rock and then jogging down a slight incline is the most thrilling thing in sports so let's not throw stones

this mother fucker aint even a good tuba player tho.

Also that hill is steeper than it looks I've drunkenly fallen down it more times than I care to admit :colbert:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Fickell going to LA sounds really weird just considering the guy who he is and what he's obviously been holding out for in Michigan/PSU/OSU if Day stinks and people get crazy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize the i dotter also plays a solo after doing it

He ain't all that good folks. This one's a Make-a-Wish kid or something?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Franklin didn't work this hard to get Penn State on the cusp of being elite just to leave and completely rebuild USC from scratch. But USC is one of the few programs that has me at least a little genuinely worried

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't realize the i dotter also plays a solo after doing it

He ain't all that good folks. This one's a Make-a-Wish kid or something?

No joke a friend of mine played sousaphone for Clemson's marching band and she was 4'9". She was regularly confused for a middle school kid they let dress with the band.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Fickell going to LA sounds really weird just considering the guy who he is and what he's obviously been holding out for in Michigan/PSU/OSU if Day stinks and people get crazy.

Lots of people are pretty convinced he wouldn't take Michigan. USC is a lot of money, one of the best jobs in the sport, and he has a relationship with the AD. It doesn't seem like OSU, PSU, or Notre Dame are opening any time soon unless Franklin leaves.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn’t put it past USC to pull out another off-the-board hire, like Kyle Wittingham or something.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There are a LOT of programs that have obviously unqualified coaches - LSU, USC, FSU, Texas, probably Tennessee. (Michigan's issues are different.)There just aren't enough conventionally qualified candidates out there. Campbell, Fickell, and whoever the hot coach de jour this year will be.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't know if he'll get another look after this season, pending Oregon's finish (maybe after next year), but Moorhead deserves another shot. He was never going to work out in the SEC. In the northeast or West Coast, maybe. Recruiting a couple of years at Oregon will help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hello twitter world

https://twitter.com/therealoj32/status/1437548941751377920?s=21