Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

It would be a great alternate usage for hero points too; characters would get a limited resource per level that could either be used to swing the tide of combat or reveal plot information and would have to decide how to best spend them. Too bad I've only played one D&D game with them and don't use them in my own campaign
Failing to get plot info -> you'll get the plot info at some point unless your GM really wants to watch you kill rats for dozens of sessions
Failing to succeed at combat -> you're dead lol

I mean I know which I'd save them for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

Having a fungibility between in-combat and plot-based economies has never worked in D&D because that requires a meaningful, regular exchange between them. And D&D still has the difference between two characters able to be "this character has more of the stat that makes them good".

This is a bad idea.

At the point where D&D already has classes that trade combat utility for non combat utility I feel that horse is already out of the stable.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

At the point where D&D already has classes that trade combat utility for non combat utility

And in fact has since the earliest editions lol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What if instead of porting this mechanic into D&D one could play Call of Cthulhu, which already has that mechanic implemented? :grin:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Coolness Averted posted:

At the point where D&D already has classes that trade combat utility for non combat utility I feel that horse is already out of the stable.

One of the many flaws it has, yes. And I don’t see the point in making it worse.

Although I fully admit that someone saying, “Cool mechanic! I should add that to 5E D&D!” just makes my eye twitch by now so I’m primed to be dismissive.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What if instead of porting this mechanic into D&D one could play Call of Cthulhu, which already has that mechanic implemented? :grin:

I would, but I'd be scared what someone would try to name their familiar.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

True, better stick to D&D which has never known a racism.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wonder if there's an Idea-like die in the latest RuneQuest...

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder if there's an Idea-like die in the latest RuneQuest...

An initiate of Lhankor has access to an absurd amount of Divination style Rune Magic, and you can use Divine intervention to ask your deity, but the cost is so huge it's a really bad idea.

Vadun fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 11, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vadun posted:

An initiate of Lhankor has access to an absurd amount of Divination style Rune Magic, and you can use Divine intervention to ask your deity, but the cast is so huge it's a really bad idea.

That's another way of doing it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

But no there is no real Idea die.

If your GM is benevolent they may give you something cryptic on a Rune test or something, but that's not RAW.

Since every character has access to Spirit Magic, there's some interesting things you could do with Detect Spells, or Farsight, or dial up your local shaman to ask a spirit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

moths posted:

True, better stick to D&D which has never known a racism.

I would definitely stick away from DND if you're trying to avoid racism.

Maybe something more wholesome in general, like FATAL.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
There's merit to having tools like "Idea, but for 5e" in your back pocket. Sometimes a game in progress needs a tool you just don't have in the base system, and where the answer is not "play a game better suited to what your table wants," because the table is playing the game it wants to play and has simply encountered a situation where it needs more robust mechanics for a single scene / session. Clocks from PbtA / FitD are eminently stealable for all sorts of systems where you need to jury-rig a quick mechanical scaffold, and Idea rolls are simply taking the principle of "a roll to gather information always generates forward progress" and making it a stat.

Example from this week: I'm years in to a 5e campaign, and the players abruptly decided that they needed to gather all of the region's major players into an LotR-style Last Alliance, to give them the fictional positioning to go after the endgame baddies. They get genuinely excited about the prospect of doing diplomacy and repairing the rifts they've caused with the people they've hosed over. There is no satisfying way to do this in 5e: what the game wants you to do is roll Persuasion over and over, but that's a great way to kill the enthusiasm they've spontaneously created, especially in a party where only one or two people have The Social Skill. Instead, my prep between sessions went in to a quick homebrew minigame centered around FitD-style opposing clocks, such that each faction they were courting had:

1) a clock of a given size from 4 to 10 depending on how hard they'd be to win over, filled by successful skill tests: Persuasion, History, whatever you can convincingly justify
2) a clock of equal size counting down toward that faction ending their participation in the summit, filled by failed tests and by making deals with their rivals
3) a set of demands which, if agreed to, would automatically fill in segments of their clock

By limiting the number of actions they could take in the summit to two per player (representing the limited amount of time they had before the secret summit broke up), they now had to think strategically about who to give concessions to, who they could try to simply sweet-talk into cooperation, and who would get left on the sidelines.

At this point, we weren't playing D&D, we were playing a homebrew game. But everyone enjoyed it, and it gave the appropriate mechanical heft to an important scene. We'll never need those mechanics again, because ultimately we're playing Dungeons & Dragons 5e and it is not a game about diplomacy, but it was nice to have that mechanical scaffolding available as needed.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

Instead, my prep between sessions went in to a quick homebrew minigame centered around FitD-style opposing clocks, such that each faction they were courting had:

1) a clock of a given size from 4 to 10 depending on how hard they'd be to win over, filled by successful skill tests: Persuasion, History, whatever you can convincingly justify
2) a clock of equal size counting down toward that faction ending their participation in the summit, filled by failed tests and by making deals with their rivals
3) a set of demands which, if agreed to, would automatically fill in segments of their clock

By limiting the number of actions they could take in the summit to two per player (representing the limited amount of time they had before the secret summit broke up), they now had to think strategically about who to give concessions to, who they could try to simply sweet-talk into cooperation, and who would get left on the sidelines.

This... kinda sounds like a skill challenge from 4e, just with multiple success tracks, a limited number of actions per PC, and an emphasis on doing more than just rolling the same skill each time? Which, in fairness, were all things that 4e's skill challenges really needed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

Maybe don't dismantle the door and burn down the barn though

e: though I suppose in this scenario the barn is already on fire and the stable is a charnel house

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 11, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Vadun posted:

But no there is no real Idea die.

If your GM is benevolent they may give you something cryptic on a Rune test or something, but that's not RAW.

Since every character has access to Spirit Magic, there's some interesting things you could do with Detect Spells, or Farsight, or dial up your local shaman to ask a spirit.
I'd say you could easily implement a CoC-like Idea roll in RuneQuest, because of their shared BRP DNA, but I would also say it wouldn't be a good idea.

CoC is an investigative RPG, it assumes that the player characters are primarily going to be solving mysteries and therefore the Idea roll makes sense as a means to keep the mystery-solving breakthroughs coming from the PCs. This is particularly appropriate since it is also a horror game, and so a) having a bad Idea roll result in getting the information via a dangerous jump scare moment supports that and b) you'll tend to want the PCs to be isolated, the only people who can tackle the horrors they are facing because everyone given theoretical responsibility for public safety either doesn't believe them or is already corrupted.

RuneQuest can do investigation, but it's far from the only thing it does, and the latest edition has a strong focus on the idea that the PCs are part of an extended community., so if the party run into something they can't figure out then saying "Hm, we better go find someone with better divinatory capabilities than us to help us figure this out" is a perfectly legitimate course of action, and indeed can lead naturally into other adventures. ("I can do that, but I need you to do this one thing for me...") Putting in an Idea roll would short-circuit that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

Failing to get plot info -> you'll get the plot info at some point unless your GM really wants to watch you kill rats for dozens of sessions
Failing to succeed at combat -> you're dead lol

I mean I know which I'd save them for

Hero points are an optional inclusion and can already be used to bolster ability checks outside of comabt; the whole point is that your character is superhuman and can pull off rule-of-cool-style moves at critical moments and surpass even other "normal" adventurers/heroes. If a character's been rolling well and has a bunch left over, why not provide them with another way to spend them? I don't think anyone would choose to hold back and fail a critical saving throw because they're conserving points to move the plot along anyways.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Whybird posted:

This... kinda sounds like a skill challenge from 4e, just with multiple success tracks, a limited number of actions per PC, and an emphasis on doing more than just rolling the same skill each time? Which, in fairness, were all things that 4e's skill challenges really needed.

It’s pretty similar, although skill challenges and clocks have some meaningful differences. 4e is not an edition I enjoy, but it has some useful tech that can be stolen. Skill challenge-like structures are the best way d20 has to interact with FitD-style clocks whose states change the fiction and are changed by the fiction.

All of which is to say, homebrewing stuff to fill a one-time / infrequent need is good and useful, provided you’ve examined and ruled out the options the game you’re playing has provided (if any). Doing it all the time, though, is indeed a sign that you’re playing the wrong game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was at the Vietnamese grocery store this morning and picked this up as an impulse buy because, come on, $5.99 for NOVEL GAYLY EXCITE?

There aren't any rules in the box in any language, and as "horse race chess" it was surprisingly difficult to find rules online. From what I gather it's a variant of Ludo / Pachisi / Trouble.

My kid is still young enough to enjoy just rolling some dice, but even still I can't see us actually playing this more than the once unless we have a week without power or something lol. "Oh sorry you can't even start playing until you manage to roll doubles, kid."

Some interesting cheap shelf candy though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You have some really dope salt and pepper shakers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Imagined posted:

I was at the Vietnamese grocery store this morning and picked this up as an impulse buy because, come on, $5.99 for NOVEL GAYLY EXCITE?
Some interesting cheap shelf candy though.

I feel like I've seen that playfield arrangement before...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dumb idea I just had during my DnD game: what would a Kender Dark Lord look like?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dumb idea I just had during my DnD game: what would a Kender Dark Lord look like?

Probably the least-stupid interpretation of Kender quirks is that they have a completely inadequate sense of boundaries, with no respect for other people's norms. So probably some kind of arch-cultist trying to reshape the world for its own good / just to see what would happen, and blithely unconcerned with other people not wanting to be a part of their vision.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Probably the least-stupid interpretation of Kender quirks is that they have a completely inadequate sense of boundaries, with no respect for other people's norms.

This brings to mind the idea that Kenders not only are kleptomaniacs but also likely to commit sex crimes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Teela Brown from the Ringworld books as Dark Lord suddenly came to mind. Not that kender have been bred for supernatural luck, but that kind of person who could bring unholy terror to absolutely everyone in the universe just as an utterly innocent and naive side effect of being who they are with absolutely the best intentions the whole time.

Edit: Also Lily Weatherwax, the fairy godmother gone bad in the Pratchett novel Witches Abroad, who's so obsessed with everything being like a proper fairy tale that she has a toymaker arrested for not being jolly, etc.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 12, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

change my name posted:

I don't think anyone would choose to hold back and fail a critical saving throw because they're conserving points to move the plot along anyways.

So then why have that be an option? The best case is it's ignored and you made a rule for no reason, more likely it exists as a dumb kludge for a GM who should learn to not randomly gate-keep the plot with the add-on that it's a tax/trap for someone who uses it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

Hero points are an optional inclusion and can already be used to bolster ability checks outside of comabt; the whole point is that your character is superhuman and can pull off rule-of-cool-style moves at critical moments and surpass even other "normal" adventurers/heroes. If a character's been rolling well and has a bunch left over, why not provide them with another way to spend them? I don't think anyone would choose to hold back and fail a critical saving throw because they're conserving points to move the plot along anyways.
(This assumes we're talking about a D&D or D&D style game and all the inherent assumptions that come along with that)
Spending points on non-combat stuff that you could have spent in combat but didn't need to: That's fine.
Spending points on non-combat stuff that you could potentially have instead spent in a later combat: The act of a fool, an idiot, a prospective corpse, a new player who doesn't know any better and has been let down by the system.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I feel like I've seen that playfield arrangement before...

It's almost identical to a ludo board.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

This brings to mind the idea that Kenders not only are kleptomaniacs but also likely to commit sex crimes.

i think you will find all the smart people think kenders are really cool and the world would be worse off without them. the writers actually want to really make sure you know you are supposed to like them which is weird because who doesnt like kenders?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Kender are really a case study in why basing an entire fictional species off the characteristics of a single person is generally a poor idea. I'm sure the guy who played Tasslehoff Burrfoot was a real hoot at the gaming table, but "Comically naïve kleptomaniacs with no sense of personal property or self preservation" just doesn't make any goddamned sense when applied to an entire species.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If I remember Kender were created by Tracy Hickman because his Mormon faith meant he couldn’t philosophically accept the existence of thieves in any heroic or positive portrayal at all.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arivia posted:

If I remember Kender were created by Tracy Hickman because his Mormon faith meant he couldn’t philosophically accept the existence of thieves in any heroic or positive portrayal at all.

the mormons are kender? That certainly makes a lot of sense, and 100% feeds into Plutonis's dark kender interpretation

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arivia posted:

My understanding was the Kender's characterization was a combination of that and the people in Hickman's original campaign-that-begat-Dragonlance were all really taken by the one person who played a proto-Kender and ended up incorporating a bunch of that into the fluff for the race.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Kender are really a case study in why basing an entire fictional species off the characteristics of a single person is generally a poor idea. I'm sure the guy who played Tasslehoff Burrfoot was a real hoot at the gaming table, but "Comically naïve kleptomaniacs with no sense of personal property or self preservation" just doesn't make any goddamned sense when applied to an entire species.

Warhammer Fantasy handles this pretty well as something that can work but isn't too far away. Halflings are raised as a village rather than as nuclear families, which means most halflings have 28 brothers or sisters and as many again aunts and uncles. And while personal property is a thing, borrowing another halfling's stuff is like borrowing your sibling's toys or clothes (and if your own goes missing it's a question as to which of your siblings to hunt down). They also do have self preservation instincts - but also get on really well with ogres for lore reasons and are pretty resistant to Chaos. Of course they are also (like everything in Warhammer) dangerous and not that naive.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

neonchameleon posted:

Warhammer Fantasy handles this pretty well as something that can work but isn't too far away. Halflings are raised as a village rather than as nuclear families, which means most halflings have 28 brothers or sisters and as many again aunts and uncles. And while personal property is a thing, borrowing another halfling's stuff is like borrowing your sibling's toys or clothes (and if your own goes missing it's a question as to which of your siblings to hunt down). They also do have self preservation instincts - but also get on really well with ogres for lore reasons and are pretty resistant to Chaos. Of course they are also (like everything in Warhammer) dangerous and not that naive.
So that's why they're so cheap to sign in bloodbowl. I'm helping the shire avoid overpopulation by breaking a few hafling necks using them as projectiles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

this came up in a facebook memory, anyone able to identify the source?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

My guess would be Rifts.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Gammarauders!

e: I have my copy nearby, here's a few more pictures from the game. It's... not very good? But I have a nostalgic soft spot for it.

I played it way more than it deserved when I was a kid, because it has a funny sense of humor, some cute setting stuff, and a lot of cardboard chits. It also very much encouraged players to turtle up and do nothing much of note, iirc, but that may have been us playing it wrong.

There was even a comic book for a while, I think.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 16, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

drat, the Blackbirds Kickstarter blew past its goal in an hour and hit double the ask in 4: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewsmcmeel/blackbirds-rpg

I like the setting a lot, but has anyone played Zweihander? (they're using the same system) My only experience with it is RPGhorrorstory posts about plot-critical NPCs dying by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

change my name posted:

drat, the Blackbirds Kickstarter blew past its goal in an hour and hit double the ask in 4: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewsmcmeel/blackbirds-rpg

I like the setting a lot, but has anyone played Zweihander? (they're using the same system) My only experience with it is RPGhorrorstory posts about plot-critical NPCs dying by accident

Zweihander is just Warhammer Fantasy RP with the serial numbers filed off, iirc. So look into reviews of that. WFRP I remember was very lethal but flowed decently. Though I played more 3rd edition (the custom dice one).