Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Quote from Howard at the end of the article should actually be “I don’t want the young of Australia involved in wars but as an old white male, wars have very little effect on me so if I can use them for electoral advantage, then of course I will.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

EoinCannon posted:

Vaccines don't prevent infection or spread, they prevent serious disease
There was a lecture by the royal children's Hospital in Melbourne for new parents and they said every child will get covid at some point.

They mitigate those things a lot. An infection might not happen at all because it luckily gets caught by your endocrine system before it hooks in. But in the pretty likely case that it does, the reason you don't get super sick is because your guts don't get as riddled with virus producing cells, and then they don't fill up your lungs, and then your coughs have way fewer of the li'l bastard particles in 'em

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Tu Le posted:

Well, it all happened very quickly so I’ve had a bit of a whirlwind of a week, and I actually found out from the media.

I think it was Wednesday night when the first article came out so I hadn’t been contacted by anyone at that. And I think I made my intentions, pretty clear earlier this year that I intended hat in the ring, and just to have a chance, you know to nominate for pre-selection, and particularly on the back of the current member Chris Hayes retiring and installing his full support behind me.

That was pretty disappointing. I’m just hearing it all on the media and the news, like everybody else.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08a00d5cb7dc39

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Labor Party backroom: never not undermining their own members

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I was watching Reagan clips because of Kennealy saying he was her childhood hero or whatever and I think this is my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2186Yh0Uc

Straight up demon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R67CH-qhXJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXCwVbhsHc

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 14, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

EoinCannon posted:

Vaccines don't prevent infection or spread, they prevent serious disease
There was a lecture by the royal children's Hospital in Melbourne for new parents and they said every child will get covid at some point.

Studies indicate that they cut transmission by 40% given people are both less infectious and infectious for a shorter duration.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/mps-call-on-berejiklian-to-apply-harsh-lockdown-rules-to-suburbs-not-lgas-20210913-p58r9x.html

the headline makes sense.

quote:

Mr Elliott, who is the member for Baulkham Hills, said the suburb of North Rocks should be considered part of the Hills Shire, as it was before council amalgamations. Instead, it is captured by the Parramatta local government area, meaning it is one of the 12 areas of concern enduring stricter lockdown measures and a curfew.

“It should be considered part of the Hills for the purpose of the hard lockdown,” Mr Elliott said.

Oh wait no its just another 'this suburb is rich and white and therefore should not be locked down' fuckwit

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Laserface posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/mps-call-on-berejiklian-to-apply-harsh-lockdown-rules-to-suburbs-not-lgas-20210913-p58r9x.html

Oh wait no its just another 'this suburb is rich and white and therefore should not be locked down' fuckwit

Gladys is meeting with the mayors of the 12 LGAs of concern today. It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm at the "applying for non-combat entry level tech positions in the ADF" stage of depression and unemployment.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Laserface posted:

everybody seen barilaro get mid coast taken off the hot lga list after somebody had a word in his ear now theyre all like why not me

https://twitter.com/JohnBarilaroMP/status/1436276989783011337

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wish it was easier to find specifically regional information in Vic. Every second person I've talked to, and the street is dead as gently caress today, is full on impending lockdown fatalism.

It's bizarre to be the optimistic one (in that I accept a lockdown is on the way but not like, tomorrow arvo at the latest).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm at the "applying for non-combat entry level tech positions in the ADF" stage of depression and unemployment.

well, better than my depression induced infantry officer entry attempt at age 25, which was stymied because I let on I'd been diagnosed with depression

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I actually meant to post that in the gbs shitposting australia thread but tbh I think its political enough to work here

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

:razz:

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not over 60 and I had utterly no hesitation to get AZ. Because the scares over blood clots in the media was loving ridiculous.
The scare over AZ wasn't ridiculous when it started. By the time the NSW outbreak was in full swing and people started to talk about going and getting AZ because it was the only thing available that idea was starting to make sense. But back when VITT was first being identified it was an extremely serious complication (thought to have around 30% mortality) that while initially rare seemed to be identified more and more often as people began to look for it specifically, and the typical treatments for excessive clotting (heparinoids) weren't suitable for it. It's unfortunate that you can't put the genie of bad press back in the bottle, but that wasn't a complication that could just be sat on while millions more people got waved through to have that vaccine. They needed a pause and an investigation.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 14, 2021

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Meanwhile the real heros:

https://www.anao.gov.au/work/performance-audit/defence-contract-administration-defence-industry-security-program

Outsourcing in the ADF? :itwaspoo:

The 39-year-old Kewdale man died in Royal Perth hospital three days after being sedated by paramedics at the direction of police, who were called to a home in Kewdale in the early hours of Sunday 27 October to respond to a domestic violence incident. WA police say they subdued RN before calling St John Ambulance. “The man was behaving erratically and aggressively. Police managed to restrain him, and due to concerns surrounding his behaviour, SJA was then contacted to attend. While being treated by SJA officers, the man lost consciousness." He was conveyed to Royal Perth hospital, where he later died on 30 October.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I did the entrance exam for the loving cops when I was 19 depressed and had no idea what to do
I went to a housewarming the night before, got real drunk and stayed up all night, did really well on the exam and then found out I'm significantly colourblind during the medical.

To this day I'm very glad I didn't join cops

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

I did the entrance exam for the loving cops when I was 19 depressed and had no idea what to do
I went to a housewarming the night before, got real drunk and stayed up all night, did really well on the exam and then found out I'm significantly colourblind during the medical.

To this day I'm very glad I didn't join cops

Think of all those domestic violence opportunities you missed!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

did really well on the exam and then found out I'm significantly colourblind during the medical.

Do they not let you in if your colourblind, so they can make sure you can identify who to left off with a warning and to throw down a flight of stairs or something?

: Depressing dad joke :

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says Melburnians can expect a roadmap out of lockdown to be announced on Sunday.

The roadmap will outline what the next few months will look like and when restrictions can ease.

Mr Andrews says the roadmap will be about giving people a clear sense of what the state is working towards

"There will be map that talks about what we are going to do in the rest of September, what we're going to do in October and November," he says.

"It will be subject to all sorts of things including how many people are in hospital."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-14/covid-19-live-updates-vic-nsw-lockdown-compliance-announcement/100457850

Social media response to this has been extremely similar to the response to NSW releasing its "roadmap". People in both NSW and Victoria are frustrated enough that their social media comments have become indistinguishable if you blank the names.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Do they not let you in if your colourblind, so they can make sure you can identify who to left off with a warning and to throw down a flight of stairs or something?

: Depressing dad joke :

That's what I was thinking, I can't read the numbers hidden in the dots so maybe I couldn't admininster the paper bag test

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Peccadillo posted:

I was watching Reagan clips because of Kennealy saying he was her childhood hero or whatever and I think this is my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2186Yh0Uc

Straight up demon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R67CH-qhXJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXCwVbhsHc

Always stick to the classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTtI3D6lqk

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Go to the Goons in Platoons sub forums and post there. They will set you straight. Seriously. Reading that was the best thing to happen to me when I walk looking at depression induce signing up to be an officer.

Join your local SES, fire brigade or Ambo sub center, you are much more needed there and it might snowball on to bettering things for employment due to skills gained and people met.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Join your local SES, fire brigade or Ambo sub center

Or if you're a nerd Covid admin

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-14/albanese-tells-tu-le-hang-in-there-keneally-swap/100460226

lmao that this is the most anyone has heard from albo in the last two years

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Doesn't matter what roadmap Dandrews wants, Barnaby Joyce just decided that we're going to leave lockdown and he doesn't care how many people he has to kill to do it, also it's their own fault for getting sick.

quote:

'Some will die': Barnaby's grim warning

Reopening plan will not wait for Aussies who refuse the jab and die from Covid: Barnaby Joyce

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has warned the nation will reopen as planned despite the number of people who die from Covid-19 in the process.

Speaking to Radio National on Monday, Mr Joyce told Australians they needed to become accustomed to deaths from Covid-19 in the same way as deaths from the flu.

“As things open up some people will get sick, and very tragically some people will die, but some people die from the flu,” Mr Joyce said.

“We don't want that. We want to avoid that, but we can’t stop the nation for it.”

Mr Joyce pointed to vaccine-hesitant Aussies who chose not to get the jab as those who were most likely to be killed by Covid-19 when health restrictions begin to ease.

“If they don't choose to (get vaccinated) they have to accept that there is a risk with that,” he said.

Mr Joyce predicted that around October, the nation would have plenty of vaccine supplies, but vaccine hesitancy could continue to be an issue.

“The issue then will be whether the remaining group of people want to get vaccinated – not whether they can get vaccinated,” he said.

When asked whether the nation would reopen regardless of whether the 80 per cent-plus vaccine coverage rate was reached, Mr Joyce remained hopeful that decision would not have to be made.

Despite his optimistic outlook about reaching the 80 per cent target, Mr Joyce made it clear that the easing of restrictions would not wait for vaccine-hesitant Aussies.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
If anyone in this thread is from Canberra can y'all update with relevant changes.
My mum's mental health is P bad, and I've banned her from obsessively looking up covid stuff, but I wanna make sure I don't miss/ make her miss anything important.

She had a bit of a breakdown when she got caught out missing the earlier mask mandate for like a weekend or whatever, and I want to prevent her having too much distress.
But I'm from Sydney and miss Canberra things, and only learned about the lockdown extension for CBR accidentally now.

So pretty please Canberra updates?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

If anyone in this thread is from Canberra can y'all update with relevant changes.
My mum's mental health is P bad, and I've banned her from obsessively looking up covid stuff, but I wanna make sure I don't miss/ make her miss anything important.

She had a bit of a breakdown when she got caught out missing the earlier mask mandate for like a weekend or whatever, and I want to prevent her having too much distress.
But I'm from Sydney and miss Canberra things, and only learned about the lockdown extension for CBR accidentally now.

Canberra updates:
Cum trees are flowering
Mask wearing is compulsory when out.
Golf is allowed
No end to this poo poo in sight.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I'll tell mum to watch out for the cum trees I guess

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

New Xcom getting weird.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It's honestly outrageous how many negative narratives are being pushed by even the liberal media at the moment. It's easy for anyone to become overwhelmed by so much contradictory information, and so many of us feel obliged to remain immersed because the rules are constantly changing.

NSW should hit 80% first dose today and 50% double dose at the end of the week. I wonder if there'll be pressers to announce those thresholds being reached.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
One in six NSW Health staff unvaccinated, documents to state Parliament reveal

IDK, seems like a pretty big percentage to me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Turns out Victoria isn’t actually excelling in vaccinating indigenous people, it’s just that the software a lot of rural and regional Victorian GPs used defaulted to yes if there was no response recorded for whether someone was indigenous.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/software-bug-inflates-indigenous-vaccination-rate-in-victoria-20210914-p58rli.html

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Lockdown extended for four weeks, you can play golf and tennis now, masks still mandatory everywhere out of the home, you can exercise in groups of 5 for two hours.

Still advising to stay in your region so if you have north side relatives and you're on the south side you're pretty boned. It sucks.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Guardian is reporting that Gladys will be holding a presser today.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Idk why I can't play golf and tennis in Victoria it's dumb as gently caress.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Idk why I can't play golf and tennis in Victoria it's dumb as gently caress.

Because its way easier to communicate and enforce a blanket ban, rather than picking and choosing which handful of sports can be played, because people would push the limits of that at every opportunity.

"But officer, table tennis is effectively tennis, so im allowed to play it in a small room with 3 other players, 2 coaches, a ref and some supporters"

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Might open up some bougie sports given Vic is now following NSWs lead of vaccinating our way out of doom and no longer chasing COVID 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lolie posted:

Guardian is reporting that Gladys will be holding a presser today.

well played Gladys, now whether or not she has a press conference is news