Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I miss seeing my new Star Wars toy come trundling down the rollers at Consumers Distributing.
Oh wow, that was a long buried memory. Just swap out new tape deck for SW toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TheCenturion posted:

I miss seeing my new Star Wars toy come trundling down the rollers at Consumers Distributing.

Goddamn that book was like a goldmine of wanting things. Just going through all the pages and hoping your parents would buy that walkman.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gosh, yeah, I remember wanting this parking garage for toy cars - I remember it having like, versions with more floors or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lars Blitzer posted:

...or if you mention "Trudeau" or the "NEP" to an Albertan. That any seats in 2015 went to the Liberals is testament to how sick and tired some of us were about Harper basically pulling the football away the moment he got elected to a majority. Otherwise smart, thoughtful people start frothing at the mouth and start looking for the nearest pitchfork when the subject is brought up of energy resource policy under the Liberals during the 1970s and 80s. It's truly bizarre, and I was born and raised here.

And if you ask people how the government should help the oil industry, about half of them will advocate for the basic NEP framework.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheCenturion posted:

Sears had everything they needed to become Canadian Amazon and get bought out by Bezos for a fucktillion dollars, and they blew it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
isn't sears an american company? they'd just be "other amazon", not "canadian amazon"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sears Canada then, which I realize was just the Canadian branch of Definitely American Corporation Sears -- but if Timmys is "Canadian" then surely we could all just pretend Sears Canada was too. It's even in the name!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Basically what i'm trying to say is that in my ideal alternate reality, consumers distributing is the Amazon competitor that keeps Jeff Bezos up at night.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The little maple leaf American companies always put near or in their logo was always hilarious. Apparently pandering works.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Then playing with said new Star Wars toy, added to the old ones, in the back of a station wagon, while mom, dad, or both, smoked up a storm in the front seat.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you don't have your lights on, it's okay for rich people to get drunk and murder you (and blame it on their wives). Allegedly.

quote:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/linda-o-leary-found-not-guilty-in-connection-to-fatal-ontario-boat-crash-1.5584471

Linda O’Leary has been found not guilty in connection to a boat crash that killed two people in central Ontario two years ago.

O'Leary, the wife of celebrity businessman Kevin O'Leary, was found not guilty of one charge of careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act.

The verdict was delivered this morning in a hearing in Parry Sound, Ont., that was also livestreamed. Justice Richard Humphrey said Tuesday during his decision that he found the other boat did not have its navigational lights on at the time of the crash so that the passengers could stargaze.

While reading the verdict, Humphrey also said he rejected suggestions that O’Leary was impaired by alcohol at the time of the crash.

A police officer told the court during trial that O'Leary registered an "alert range" blood alcohol level in a breath test shortly after the crash.

The officer testified that O'Leary told her she had only had one drink but it was after the crash.

The judge also said there is not enough evidence to determine what speed O'Leary was travelling when the crash occured, or what speed would have been appropriate.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

wow. I could see if the charge was like murder or something, but driving as fast as they allegedly did on lakes with tons of cottages should count as careless operation even if they didn't hit someone.

also every time i'm waiting on the police to investigate a fatality i was involved in i like to get hammered too.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

enki42 posted:

Basically what i'm trying to say is that in my ideal alternate reality, consumers distributing is the Amazon competitor that keeps Jeff Bezos up at night.

:same:

https://twitter.com/stevebrandonott/status/765254090389676032

I can smell this picture and it was glorious. We didn't have a lot of money, but looking was free, and look I did.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I bet that gameboy hip pouch would go for a lot of money these days

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NDP leadership seems to be putting feelers out on basic income:

https://twitter.com/ubi_works/status/1435783640747810816

NDP will take bold steps towards a guaranteed livable income, starting with supports for seniors and Canadians living with disabilities (so not actually a guaranteed income, really).

Leah Gazan introduced a private member's bill for a basic income that goes well beyond that; it has gone nowhere that I can tell (which is not unusual but still disappointing).

So how about just, like, supporting the policy whole-heartedly? Supposedly there were over a dozen basic income proposals at their convention earlier last year. I vaguely remember posters here saying that most progressive proposals were kept away by the backroom Brian Topp-types of the party, so I gather that's what happened there.

Also of note: this article notes that seniors have very low poverty rates and are actually not as likely to need assistance, compared to the top category: working-age unattached singles.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Department stores are dumb boomer poo poo and they should all die. The Bay is on its way by splitting its stores and online into two different businesses.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

flakeloaf posted:

:same:

I can smell this picture and it was glorious. We didn't have a lot of money, but looking was free, and look I did.

gently caress were Sega games really that expensive?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had a Game Gear and like... two games for it because of how much they cost.

The Lion King fuckin sucked and was miserable to play but Sonic Spinball ruled.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Arabian Jesus posted:

gently caress were Sega games really that expensive?

Nintendo games were expensive too

What's old is new

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember that brief moment in the 2010s where the CAD was about even with the USD and even then we still payed more for games. Nowadays I don't even bother with most new releases and I wait for a steam sale.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Didn't book stores temporarily sell at USD prices or am I misremembering?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

quote:

Dr. Deena Hinshaw also said in a Zoom meeting with Primary Care Network physicians on Monday night that she "deeply" regrets her part in contributing to a narrative that "COVID's over."
Ah hahahahahhaha who could have seen this coming??

(From https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-covid-alberta-fourth-wave-1.6175012)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Health Services posted:

It reminds me a lot of the anger against Wynne, with a lot of the rage against Trudeau seeming to be similarly misogynistic in nature.

The vibe I get is that Wynne, Trudeau (and to a lesser extent Andrea Horwath) all have this proselytizing "holier than thou" attitude that makes a lot of people viciously angry because it feels like some school teacher scolding you every time you try to do something fun.
Many of those conservative voters aren't even ideologically fixed beyond just feeling like the Liberals are overreaching into their personal space dictating how they should live their lives.
I think people just wanna go back to 2019 and resume that lifestyle and not have to listen to politicians tell them how irresponsible they are which gives them flashbacks to when they used to always get in trouble at school for acting out. That's the long and short of it in my opinion. Then they just tack on lofty sounding stuff like "muh freedums!" to justify their childish antisocial behavior. I think all of this is a consequence of American culture infiltrating our society which greatly emphasizes individualism to the point that anti-social, anti-intellectual behavior is tolerated and even encouraged. I think the Liberals' one and only saving grace is that Canada is a country of immigrants from more conformist societies that still grasp the concept of stuff like public health mandates and other emergency measures designed for public safety. Or in the total absence of social order, they came here hoping for a more smoothly run society so their concept of "freedom" vastly differs from the white pickup truck driver from Barrie.

At the end of the day we are a nation full of spoiled and entitled children like America who want nothing to change and don't want anyone telling them what to do even if their actions directly harm those around them. We've atomized society, commodified social connections, and use and abuse people as we see fit. Nobody wants to acknowledge that other people exist anymore. They're all in their little self-absorbed realities and I think even we in this thread are guilty of it too, just to a lesser degree that we will respect things like public health and the rule of law even if it inconveniences us sometimes.

But there will come a time where the imperative to deal with climate change will be so severe that those of you who rely on things like gas powered central heating will suddenly find that disabled and you'll be freezing your rear end off trying to come up with a solution as you ration electricity to heat up your newly installed baseboard heaters as we'll never have the cost effective electricity we need to fill in the gaps caused by shuttering fossil fuel plants in a knee jerk reaction to adverse effects from climate change.

I think that's what pisses me off the most about the Liberals right now. They talk about decarbonizing our economy but so far their solutions just introduce taxes and cost of living increases that gently caress with people who can't afford to pay for it. There's no plan to build nuclear power plants, to electrify the car fleet, to build charging infrastructure etc and the federal government will happily download that responsibility to the provincial leaders. Those provincial leaders are so incompetent they can't even wear matching socks and probably can't even remember what they had for breakfast this morning let alone coordinate any serious infrastructure overhauls. I would say most of the major parties are in a tight orbit around Bay Street, big industry concerns and whatever various American lobbyists want and will always serve their needs while trying to diffuse public demands for serious changes with half hearted superficial promises. As a society we've grown to hate anyone who doesn't fit into our tribal identities and now government has to thread a very fine needle between these groups to build a tent. I'm disillusioned by the entire process and feel like no matter who wins, we lose.

I should add that the conservatives are far more likely to "reach into people's personal space" it's just instead of talking aggressively about the need to right past wrongs, fix discrimination and bring in gender equality they'll do something different. Instead of talking about things O'Toole will simply adjust his tie and govt agents will black bag you and take you away yet white Canadians will come away from this thinking we're somehow freer as a society...

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 14, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sorry for killing all them people and thousands more to come. Keeping the job tho. Gotta make that money.

Good luck!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mik posted:

lol this nut is my PPC candidate

PPC 2021: To Pimp a Butterfly

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is a Kenney Kovid Kabinet meeting today...

We'll see what lame restrictions they come up with next.

No drinks past 7 everyone!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

apatheticman posted:

There is a Kenney Kovid Kabinet meeting today...

We'll see what lame restrictions they come up with next.

No drinks past 7 everyone!

No new restrictions they havent received enough data feedback from their current round of "restrictions." Shandro said they'd wait and see what happens first before deciding on any new measures stop trying to rush things you NDP plant.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Yeah there was something like that. Enough books have USD/CAD pricing printed directly on the cover so people started asking questions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Holy poo poo lol

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

BGrifter posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Wow fake news we totally look better when you compare it to population!!!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BGrifter posted:

Holy poo poo lol

I wish this was adjusted for population. Ontario has roughly 2x Quebec's population, 3x BCs and 4x Alberta's. (14x Saskatchewan)

e: lol beaten

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Based on this graph I'm just assuming that everyone in Manitoba has already died of COVID.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Ontario vaccine passport trip report: QR code based, verification app built by the digital service will be open sourced, loving lol that they're going to build an app internally at government standards in 5 weeks.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

An app that'll probably be compromised in a few days and vaccine exemptions are just a note from your doctor/NP that nobody will ever verify. It's all just for show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ZeeBoi posted:

They didn't! At least none of the box stores like Chapters sold at USD pricing. It sucked having a book that showed two different prices on the back, the Canadian price being 5 dollars more than the American, and still having to pay that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

They didn't! At least none of the box stores like Chapters sold at USD pricing. It sucked having a book that showed two different prices on the back, the Canadian price being 5 dollars more than the American, and still having to pay that.

lots did here in ottawa

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having worked for Indigo people still try and get you to sell them the book at USD price and then they yell at you for false advertising "because the price is printed on the book."

Also, random Twitter user but it seems a lot of Albertans are in line to get their health records. Must be lazy HR again.
https://twitter.com/etowntechie/status/1437834650798362624?s=19

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Lassitude posted:

An app that'll probably be compromised in a few days and vaccine exemptions are just a note from your doctor/NP that nobody will ever verify. It's all just for show.

The QR code itself is a pre-existing standard and not really compromise-able, my understanding is the actual app is more for the businesses, who don't really need to compromise it to ignore the order.

For exemptions, the College of Physicians has already said they're going to scrutinize the hell out of any exemptions that aren't allergies / myocarditis.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-that-moment-i-knew-he-wanted-me-to-lie-jody-wilson-raybould-recalls/

JT is the Michael Jordan of douchebags, just when you think he can't top himself he finds a new level lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Having worked for Indigo people still try and get you to sell them the book at USD price and then they yell at you for false advertising "because the price is printed on the book."

Also, random Twitter user but it seems a lot of Albertans are in line to get their health records. Must be lazy HR again.
https://twitter.com/etowntechie/status/1437834650798362624?s=19

I’ve been in the hospital for a few days and trying to keep track and the system has been down for around 18 hours a day. It’s not as chaotic as one would expect in the hospital but I’m covid negative so they’re storing me on the post surgery unit. I would imagine their normal respiratory ward is full of ornery paste eaters. The ICU is at around 150% capacity.

Also, they probably have meals down to around $0.50-$1.00 a meal

Lunch today was a cheese and lettuce sandwich. Basically a roast beef sandwich with none beef, cantaloupe, and a la croix style chicken noodle soup. Basically noodley water that was in the same room as a cooked chicken once.

I’m sure one king Kenney’s private surgery Centers are in full swing, that will be the $24/day meal plan.