Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

General Dog posted:

Also Halloween pre-dates it by 2 years, and more weird proto-slasher stuff like The Town That Dreaded Sundown came before that.

Halloween has 0 gore, watch it now and it does not really resemble the genre despite being the proto film of it. The genre takes its cues from F13th even if the framework was first done by Halloween. Even the halloween franchise starts cribbing F13th past its first 2 films to play catch up.

This is encroaching on cinema discusso territory, but suffice to say Friday the 13th is impactful for lots of reasons even it "sucks" (it ain't masterpiece cinema but it is foundational for that genre imo). Same way using Enter Sandman is at VT, we made it popular in the sports setting.

Sandman is p good at South Carolina they bring the energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Sooner wagon rolling over is the most spectacular entrance I can think of.

If the Seminole horse warrior hurled a flaming lance into the field on Saturday, then clearly cool entrances don't count for much come game time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

The Sooner wagon rolling over is the most spectacular entrance I can think of.

If the Seminole horse warrior hurled a flaming lance into the field on Saturday, then clearly cool entrances don't count for much come game time.

I dunno I'll never be able to not laugh at the Cavalier being thrown from his horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN2URhe-A9Q

LOL UVA

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I wonder how much I'd have to donate for the Blue Band to arrange and perform Smack my Bitch Up.

I think it could work as one of those songs that happens between the national anthem and the team coming out.

Then with any leftover millions, how much more for the team to come out to Firestarter?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Lmao, Day responded to questions of if Coombs was still DC today with "We'll look at everything" and if Coombs would remain the playcaller as "No hard decisions have been made yet".

Paul Rhoads come on down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Lmao, Day responded to questions of if Coombs was still DC today with "We'll look at everything" and if Coombs would remain the playcaller as "No hard decisions have been made yet".

Paul Rhoads come on down.

Yeah that whole line of questioning was a good reminder than Ryan Day is still really new at this. They aren't going to fire you, man, you don't need to chuck your assistant under the bus, everyone saw the game.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For new page

Zoran posted:

Boomer Sooner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFtskeZrNg

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Texas was a mistake. Also probably Oklahoma.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah, probably. Give Texas back to Mexico, give the Deep South back to the Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks, Cherokees, and Seminoles. Forcibly relocate white Southerners to Oklahoma.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

Yeah that whole line of questioning was a good reminder than Ryan Day is still really new at this. They aren't going to fire you, man, you don't need to chuck your assistant under the bus, everyone saw the game.

He was already incensed from the Minnesota game apparently, and the beat reporters have essentially confirmed that Coombs has been out of favor dating back to camp at a minimum because these busts were happening then too. The pass defense sucked last year, and it's improved because he's legitimately a good CB coach, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about the defense. Ironically, as much as the "This is because they don't have the guys" take has been reported, pretty much every reporter I've seen who watched the film back was like, "yeah, you can't have LBs taking 2-3 seconds to read a key and then moving" which comes back to Al Washington. The fix for the pass defense in the back end of last year was just to have the LBs focus on delay reactions to bluff coverage and then confuse the read--problem is you can run on that if you know it's there, which everyone should from the film. That's the part of the scheme that's broken, because it's impossible to run fit when you give the offense a head start, no matter how good your line is. The D-line deserves some scorn for the lack of pressure, but it's also pretty obvious that they essentially needed coverage/fits to hold up for long enough to get home with how that offense was working. Shaw was bad trying to run support, but you can't fault a safety for getting constantly owned when 2-3 LBs fail to make a play every down as well.

If the point of the defense being this pre-rotation Cover 1/3 stuff is that it's fast and clean, I don't totally understand why guys are waiting to break so much, especially since I can count the coverages on one hand right now. There's a loooot of coaches who are also floored that we're playing spot drop cover 3 over any attempt to pattern match which goes back to Coombs trying to ape Hafley but not getting what the actual point of that changeup was. I don't know what they possibly think they can install in the middle of the season, but it's going to have to cover for the fact that the middle 3-4 guys on the field have no idea what they're reading.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

TipTow posted:

Yeah, probably. Give Texas back to Mexico, give the Deep South back to the Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks, Cherokees, and Seminoles. Forcibly relocate white Southerners to Oklahoma.

Hell of a way to get Nick to Oklahoma but I’m here for it.

Also Rocky Top suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. God help anyone caught between that and Boomer Sooner.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Warbird posted:

Also Rocky Top suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. God help anyone caught between that and Boomer Sooner.

God's tried to help Arkansas for a minute

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everyone should just call the same five defensive plays over and over until the team gets really good at it, doesn't seem that hard tbh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ByCasagrande/status/1437851387753345025

this goes here too

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/bycasagrande/status/1437851387753345025?s=21

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

zimbomonkey posted:

the perfect entrance song:

-needs to have sirens at the beginning
-needs a slow build to bring up anticipation then get faster for when players take the field
-needs to sound cool enough that college students and kids are into it while also being old enough that boomers can get behind it
-needs heavy bass drum or bass guitar to shake the stadium.
-needs a good cut off point about halfway through the song because the entrance isn't going to last that long

given all of that, I think enter sandman is a perfectly fine entrance song but we can definitely do better.

edit: also, explicit references to war or some kind of fighting. you have to establish that context for your football game nice and early.

I’m pretty sure you’ve literally described the song War Pigs by Black Sabbath.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
We’re never losing another game once nick finds out about bofa

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bofa what

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

James Bofa. Tremendous kicker.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

bofa deez NUTS hahah GOTEEM

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Candice nuts fit in ur mouth

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MourningView posted:

Yeah he was too defensive. Backing up the bus over your defensive coordinator publicly like that could affect the kind of candidates you get later. Also you are the head coach and at least have some ownership of it. The guy is doing a bad job but you can take care of that internally.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 14, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
NFL guys reporting on college job openings are never reliable, but for what it's worth I think he'd probably do as well as anyone else if this is actually on the table:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1437877442333614086

Not terribly excited at the prospect of him going back to the kind of environment where he had basically all of his trouble, but that was a long time ago.

He's very upbeat and rah rah like Pete was, the type of guy who gets you hyped up really easily.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 14, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I think he'd do well in college, seems to have the temperament for it and he was a college coach until relatively recently (in LA even) so it's not like it'd be a huge adjustment. Can't blame him either when the NFL keeps passing on him for bullshit reasons there's no reason he should still be an assistant.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I don't think USC is going to hand the keys to someone with no HC experience at either level. I'm trying to think about the Colorado teams he was an OC for and nothing of note is coming to mind.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I haven’t digested how funny it is USC fired their coach already.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

A lot of talk about how bad Texas is, but have you considered Arkansas might actually be good?

I'm going to enjoy this delusion until they inevitably get their asses kicked.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

I haven’t digested how funny it is USC fired their coach already.

The funny part is that it didn't happen like 3 years ago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neil Armbong posted:

I don't think USC is going to hand the keys to someone with no HC experience at either level. I'm trying to think about the Colorado teams he was an OC for and nothing of note is coming to mind.

I mean he has done some stuff since then.

I think the one big concern with him as far as college coaching goes is that he was on the Gary Barnett Colorado staff when they went through a lot of stuff that was not terribly dissimilar from what happened at Baylor under Briles, though it's the same thing you run into with any Baylor assistant from that period when it's unclear how involved he was or what level of responsibility any individual assistant had. Definitely something I think most people (including me until I was reminded) have probably forgotten or don't associate him with that is going to probably come up if he's a serious candidate.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 14, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

Bohn is the AD that hired Bieniemy for OC back at Colorado, right?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Bohn is the AD that hired Bieniemy for OC back at Colorado, right?

Does a HC or an AD choose coordinators? But yes, looking at wiki Bohn was AD during that time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
AD has to sign off on it but HC is almost always in charge of hiring the assistants

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Do we have a college hot seat/coaching carousel thread up yet? Because someone needs to start one so we can throw all these rumors in there to argue or laugh about.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalk_SEC/status/1437878869265104897

Mainly laughing at this one I think.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If there’s one thing we know about Mullen, it’s that he’s great in interviews.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Do we have a college hot seat/coaching carousel thread up yet? Because someone needs to start one so we can throw all these rumors in there to argue or laugh about.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalk_SEC/status/1437878869265104897

Mainly laughing at this one I think.

Our heyday happened when I was a teenager and my future is just watching Saban run away with the conference until he dies. Whatever happens in the meantime is immaterial, as long as the football is entertaining.

Having said that, it’d be hilarious in the context of that article two days ago about how excited he was to come to UF.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah there’s no loving way he goes to USC. He’d get poached by the NFL first

He’s probably doing it for a raise

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mullen manages to combine northeastern rear end in a top hat with southern rear end in a top hat, everyone at USC would loving hate him. His agent is just trying to get him a raise

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Milton announced as the starter this weekend what the actual gently caress why does this keep happening

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

The most intense pre-game song presentation thingy I've seen in person is, alas, South Carolina's, and it's not even close. Sandstorm's only about half of it. Just wall-to-wall mayhem, even though the program is, well y'know

2001 is pretty much a perfect entrance going by the aforementioned criteria, so yeah. Sandstorm is fun, but the 2001 prelude to it absolutely loving rules and is my favorite part (plus Cocky performs a magic trick, how can you not love that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Milton announced as the starter this weekend what the actual gently caress why does this keep happening

Cant take their eyes off that long ball that is so long no receiver will ever catch up to it. Just all googly eyed.

Hooker looked like he was actually just a lot better for the offense even if he has his limitations from what I saw. Either he's protecting the younger guys in this opening season or Heupel just doesn't have a dude he thinks can reliably throw 4 verts with an easy catchable ball cause neither of them looked like THE ANSWER.