Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Folders that have contents show a slight white line on the top left of the icon.

I meant that for the special folder icons. In the above screenshot, that's true for normal folder icons unless they're small.

For the special folder icons in the pic you quoted, they do not show that line. The Pictures folder contains a file but appears "empty".

E: This is nitpicking though and won't ever affect my workflow at least.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Holy poo poo those icons are terrible. Like, the whitest part of the orange is right in the same corner where you have to see white, so it blends in rather than contrasts. Anyone with even slightly degraded eyesight is going to struggle making them out at a glance. Is there even a UX expert at MS any more?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
On that note, is the stupid "3D Objects" folder still built into W11 and unremovable unless you do regedit fuckery?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Heran Bago posted:

It looks sleeker than the old exploded folded icons, and I'm sure it's nice for performance not having to generate thumbnails, but god drat.

Building the W10 folder thumbnails should be a completely trivial process, and the fact that it isn't performant (and other things about Explorer's performance with some types of file metadata) is a loving laugh.

To show the exploded folder with icons in it, you only need the 2 most-recent files. So all you need to do to make this a near-zero delay is to do 2 checks:
  1. if these are files that can have unique thumbnails (ie images, videos, mp3s with cover pics, etc), are they in the thumbnail cache already?
  2. if not, is it an image that's less than a couple MB (ie a file that's super-quick to generate thumbnails for)?
If no to both, just use the default icon for that filetype in the folder thumbnail, until the user at some point opens the folder and you do the full thumbnail generation.

But thumbnails aren't the worst offender by far. The worst is how Explorer, ever since they added the auto folder type detection, has default views for music and video folders that include tag metadata. Generating thumbnails takes a hot minute for stuff like video (where it not only has to decode video, but it jumps forward a few % so it shows a more representative frame), but explorer is still responsive while that happens.

The thing that makes explorer actually pause with a blank view panel and progress bar is finding the metadata that it needs for the details column. It has to get all that before it can display the file list. And that sucks. Ancient tag formats like ID3 are trash, and most common file types use completely awful hacks for how they store that metadata. Trying to parse 100s of files to find artist or song length is a fool's errand. Explorer is a file manager, not a media manager.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Love the extra spacing between elements for touch screen use. It makes the whole thing so much more manageable for small operations with fingers. Stylus usage for precision is less of a requirement now. Odd that it's on by default in desktop mode but whatever.

I've adjusted to the top bar that no longer has tabs or ribbon menus. Kind of neutral on it at this point. Again lots of room for touch, but things don't have to be so tucked away.

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhh. I am using a mouse, Microsoft - stop pretending you're a phone OS.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Falcorum posted:

On that note, is the stupid "3D Objects" folder still built into W11 and unremovable unless you do regedit fuckery?

You need to find something to be passionate about if you care about this

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Falcorum posted:

I have no idea why they made this a default part of Windows. Your average person might have Documents, Music, Pictures, etc but not 3D Objects.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

It's so bad. Migrated back to 10, full clean install, will resist upgrading for as long as humanly possible until I hear serious improvements have been made cause god drat what are they even thinking with this poo poo

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ben shapino posted:

It's so bad. Migrated back to 10, full clean install, will resist upgrading for as long as humanly possible until I hear serious improvements have been made cause god drat what are they even thinking with this poo poo

"Imagine what Windows would be like on a Tablet...and only on a Tablet."

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe Windows 12 will be good again?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
This time, the desktop users are gonna love our tablet interface. We nailed it boys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have no idea why they made this a default part of Windows. Your average person might have Documents, Music, Pictures, etc but not 3D Objects.
I don't see it anywhere opening Explorer, so I guess it's gone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TOOT BOOT posted:

Microsoft went full creator mode in 2017 and made paint 3d able to make a 3d model, slice it and to print directly to OEM made printers(i think hp made a compatible unit), sadly everyone 3d printing is more than happy to use ghettorigged setups from china rather than premade kit so it died on the vine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Mouse/Keyboard is a FAR better input combo than a loving fat finger. I can't wait for all the MS idiots to get over their fingering fetish.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ben shapino posted:

yeah, i really don't wanna have to redo everything but I'm hitting the point where I'm about to flatten and go back to 10 myself

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

SlowBloke posted:

Microsoft went full creator mode in 2017 and made paint 3d able to make a 3d model, slice it and to print directly to OEM made printers(i think hp made a compatible unit), sadly everyone 3d printing is more than happy to use ghettorigged setups from china rather than premade kit so it died on the vine.

The only time I ever witnessed anyone opening Paint 3D was when they misclicked trying to open ordinary Paint

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe Windows 12 will be good again?

That’s the windows tic-toc isn’t it? Every other version is good

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Star Trek movies, too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DerekSmartymans posted:

Star Trek movies, too.

What you talking. Star Trek is GREAT except it's called The Orville.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DerekSmartymans posted:

Star Trek movies, too.

The last good Star Trek movie was Insurrection though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

Haha, true.
And I love The Orville, too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Lord Bude posted:

Mods?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The last bad star trek movie was Nemesis. Dunno why they never made another star trek movie after that, it's been decades.

Jokes aside, I get that first contact was the big commercial success but in my view that's because they went out of their way to make a star trek flavoured generic action movie. Insurrection (and Generations for that matter) are better than I think many people who haven't watched them in ages seem to remember, and in my opinion they are the two next gen era movies that most closely resemble feature length episodes of the show (which is what I want from a star trek move, ymmv).

I think going from The Motion Picture to Nemesis I'd suggest the star trek movies were:

good-decent-decent-good-godawful-good-good-decent-good-borderline bad

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 15, 2021

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Has MS said anything about the upgrade to Win11 in domain/enterprise environments? I'm gonna have a poo poo ton of confused and pissed off users if they show up one day and their machines have been unceremoniously 'upgraded' to Win11. We're using WUfB to manage updates so I hope that MS provides some way of preventing the upgrade.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There will 100% be a way to prevent upgrades in corporate environments. Maybe even something as sensible as turning off auto-upgrade if the machine is domain joined.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
As far as I know they haven't released info on how upgrade paths for the release version will work for enterprise. The closest is this blog from Sept 2 about upgrading to\installing the beta in enterprise environments. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/commercial-previews-for-windows-11-and-windows-10-version-21h2/ba-p/2676467

FWIW I've set up VMs for people to test critical apps at work, and so far everything that works in 21H2 works the same in Win11 beta. There are a couple apps that don't work in 21H2 though, and one of vendors told us they don't currently have plans to support Win10 21H2 or Win11.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Hungry Computer posted:

As far as I know they haven't released info on how upgrade paths for the release version will work for enterprise. The closest is this blog from Sept 2 about upgrading to\installing the beta in enterprise environments. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/commercial-previews-for-windows-11-and-windows-10-version-21h2/ba-p/2676467

FWIW I've set up VMs for people to test critical apps at work, and so far everything that works in 21H2 works the same in Win11 beta. There are a couple apps that don't work in 21H2 though, and one of vendors told us they don't currently have plans to support Win10 21H2 or Win11.

A bold statement. Are they hoping for another Windows 8 style "eh you can upgrade if you want I guess but we'll make the previous OS extend to our next OS because this one was a big wet fart"?

...because I sort of am.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

sporkstand posted:

Has MS said anything about the upgrade to Win11 in domain/enterprise environments? I'm gonna have a poo poo ton of confused and pissed off users if they show up one day and their machines have been unceremoniously 'upgraded' to Win11. We're using WUfB to manage updates so I hope that MS provides some way of preventing the upgrade.

serious answer you can ceiling feature upgrades including the one to 22000 in Endpoint (formerly Intune)

comedy answer lol at any corporate devices new enough to support tpm 2.0

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My poo poo Dell XPS got a firmware update to TPM 2.0 a couple years ago

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
as far as my research has gotten even if you have TPM 1.2 you need to disable Bitlocker and clear it first before doing the firmware upgrade/changing the BIOS setting, then re-enable Bitlocker afterwards. End users aren't doing that off their own backs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the firmware update is serviced through Windows Update (this is OEM specific) then it handles that part for you

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sporkstand posted:

Just set up a feature baseline on intune imposing 21h1 and no client will budge from that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been reading more bad reviews of Windows 11, and today found out they apparently also removed the option to use small icons on the taskbar or resize it, which is another huge reason for me to avoid it. You're going to force huge icons on the taskbar and make lose screen real estate for no loving reason? Really? One of the first things I do on a fresh Windows 10 install, if not the first, is to set the taskbar to use small icons.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the theme has been for a long time already to waste as much space on screen as humanly possible. So I guess MS wanting to waste even more space than they already waste is... expected.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Uh..

7 good
8, 8.1, 10 (many major builds!), 11 poo poo

Not seeing it :D

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

The Lord Bude posted:

Pretty good summary of Windows releases so far

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I think going from The Motion Picture to Nemesis I'd suggest the star trek movies were:

If you put Wrath of Khan below The Motion Picture then I question your judgement.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been reading more bad reviews of Windows 11, and today found out they apparently also removed the option to use small icons on the taskbar or resize it, which is another huge reason for me to avoid it. You're going to force huge icons on the taskbar and make lose screen real estate for no loving reason? Really? One of the first things I do on a fresh Windows 10 install, if not the first, is to set the taskbar to use small icons.

There are some reg edits to set the bar and icons to small but they're options that shouldn't be locked from the user. So glad they'll be supporting 10 until 2025.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WonkyBob posted:

There are some reg edits to set the bar and icons to small but they're options that shouldn't be locked from the user. So glad they'll be supporting 10 until 2025.

Ltsb 2016 has support to 2026

Ltsc 2019 has support to 2029

Server 2022 "the last Windows 10" has support until 2032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you put Wrath of Khan below The Motion Picture then I question your judgement.

The Motion Picture is another underrated gem - it’s a highbrow sci-fi movie that in my opinion perfectly encapsulates the best of ToS. I can understand why it didn’t have the best mainstream reception - it is admittedly a tad Arthousy - but it’s fabulous piece of science fiction.