Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm a big fan of High West. I just opened a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and goddamn it's a trip. It's super herbal and floral up front and I don't taste that super often in rye/bourbon. Their yearly Midwinter Night's Dram is the one bottle I really try to seek out.

I'm super leery of anybody selling "a blend of straight bourbon/rye whiskey" since under US law you can put flavorings, colorings and "blending materials" :wtf: in those. It's a way to skirt the stricter rules for straight whiskey basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Considering I live in one of the Dark Ages states when it comes to online out-of-state ordering, I'd be up for it.

Klungar posted:

Got a link to this?

Join our Discord! https://discord.gg/zJmkWnPa3H

I *think* the actual beer thread might be inactive. Although I've done trades through PM and through our Discord (for beer).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm super leery of anybody selling "a blend of straight bourbon/rye whiskey" since under US law you can put flavorings, colorings and "blending materials" :wtf: in those. It's a way to skirt the stricter rules for straight whiskey basically.

okay, but their labeling explicitly says no coloring, no filtering or additional flavoring etc.

also it’s pretty good

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sean10mm posted:

High West lists its blends on the website.

Rendezvous Rye:

A blend of older Straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 4 to 9 years.
Straight Rye whiskeys:
95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP
80% rye, 20% malted rye from High West Distillery

Midwinter Night's Dram:

Straight Rye Whiskey:
80% rye, 20% malted rye from HWD

(No age statement, but probably p close to the blend used for Rendezvous)

Double Rye:

A blend of straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 2 to 9 years.
Straight Rye whiskeys:
80% Rye, 20% Malted Rye from High West Distillery

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Look Sir Droids posted:

But BT is apparently all over Memphis. My buddy there finds BT, Eagle Rare, and Weller all the time. On the shelf.

It’s also cheaper. Buffalo Trace is $25 a bottle there. I found ONE bottle in Williamson County for $40.

I was sent to get bourbon in Collierville yesterday and spent $60 (tax included) on two bottles of BT and got $31 worth of Chinese takeout. Split 4 ways, we are eating another full meal and Dad & I will finish off one of the bottles on the porch tonight with a couple of five year old Don Pepin Blue churchills. My pup is finally understanding the electronic fence system, and avoided the training buzz this morning while barking at 11 deer without chasing them into the woods for two hours. She’s an inside dog and we don’t have a fenced yard so now I feel like she can be trusted alone outside! I have a new drinking partner now!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

sean10mm posted:

High West, Barrell, and Bardstown are all fortunately really good and upfront with what's what, either by labeling the minutiae on the packaging directly or on their website.
Bardstown even puts the exact percentages on the side label

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm a big fan of High West. I just opened a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and goddamn it's a trip. It's super herbal and floral up front and I don't taste that super often in rye/bourbon. Their yearly Midwinter Night's Dram is the one bottle I really try to seek out.

High West has been my favorite for several years. Outside of American Prairie Bourbon, everything from them is incredible.

Midwinter Night is probably my all time favorite bottle. I could drink it every day but have to ration it because its so drat hard to find. I generally only find one a year.

Double Rye is dirt cheap and makes an incredible Old Fashioned. They’ve started doing some limited release single barrels of it and I highly recommend them.

Campfire has a great smoky and deep flavor. I prefer it to Smoke Wagon and Bookers which have a similar palette.

Did you get the new Rendezvous that is now a limited release or a previous year? There’s a significant flavor difference with the new limited release bottling. It’s much more floral this year. If you really enjoy Midwinter Night that’s probably why you enjoy Rendezvous. They are the exact same blend. They just finish the blend in a Port barrel for and additional period to make the Midwinter.

They have some Utah only products that I want to get my hands on. Just like Cat’s Eye, they bought some super old MGP and have started bottling it. The first releases are just pure MGP as a light whiskey. I’m assuming they will start finishing it at some point considering how many barrels they purchased.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I found myself at a place that had A Midsummer Night's Dram for $20 for a 2 oz pour. So good.

Also tried Compass Box Spice Tree. Also v good.

But the topper was I got a shot pour of William Larue Weller gratis. It's not worth $1300/bottle or whatever the street price is, but gently caress it is so good.

I'm back in NYC next weekend. They have Pappy 12 and George T Stagg for $50 or $60 so I might have to give them a try.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Josh Lyman posted:

I found myself at a place that had A Midsummer Night's Dram for $20 for a 2 oz pour. So good.

Also tried Compass Box Spice Tree. Also v good.

But the topper was I got a shot pour of William Larue Weller gratis. It's not worth $1300/bottle or whatever the street price is, but gently caress it is so good.

I'm back in NYC next weekend. They have Pappy 12 and George T Stagg for $50 or $60 so I might have to give them a try.

Most everything Compass Box is good. Hedonism is good for their always available. I highly recommend Rogues Banquet from their limited releases.

Compass Box is what Whistlepig wishes it was: a premium priced seller with actually good product. Whistlepig is premium priced for poo poo that’s the same as product half the price.

Regarding BTAC, Stagg is pretty good. I generally prefer Stagg Jr though over Stagg. It is so smooth for the proof. WLW or Thomas H Handy are my favorites of then BTAC. Unfortunately, they are really impossible to buy these days and I generally can’t even justify buying a shot because that’s $40-60 bucks I could spend on a great bottle. I’d probably pay 2-3x retail for WLW or Handy but everywhere is 6-10x retail so gently caress that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Speaking of BTAC, anyone know where the latest place is to semi-illicitly buy/sell/trade bourbon/whiskey? I would love to turn an Elmer T Lee I've had sitting around into a few Stagg Jr.s, but the Facebook groups I browsed years ago have long been shut down.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone here made an infinity bottle? After adding everything in, should I let this thing sit?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

obi_ant posted:

Has anyone here made an infinity bottle? After adding everything in, should I let this thing sit?

I've had my bottles for about four months. I don't think it makes a huge difference to let it sit. I suppose mine's gotten slightly mellower with age (I have both a rye and a bourbon infinity bottle and both are more high proof than not in their contents) but I don't believe a few weeks or months of sitting would make for a considerable difference.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Speaking of BTAC, anyone know where the latest place is to semi-illicitly buy/sell/trade bourbon/whiskey? I would love to turn an Elmer T Lee I've had sitting around into a few Stagg Jr.s, but the Facebook groups I browsed years ago have long been shut down.

Still Facebook, just different groups

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Random question, but any whiskey goon here from the St. Paul/Minneapolis area?

I have a bottle of absinthe I bought to make sazerac a and turns out I don’t like it at all. It’s Pernod, which I understand is a pretty good absinthe.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

What does the thread generally think of Green Spot? My local Costco got in some Green Spot and Redbreast, both are about $50. I've had the latter and know it's a decent value at that price (plus iirc it's a thread favorite); is there any reason to choose Green Spot instead, other than novelty? I can only afford one bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

What does the thread generally think of Green Spot? My local Costco got in some Green Spot and Redbreast, both are about $50. I've had the latter and know it's a decent value at that price (plus iirc it's a thread favorite); is there any reason to choose Green Spot instead, other than novelty? I can only afford one bottle.

They are both excellent. Both are pot still Irish whiskey from the same distillery, Midleton, just a slightly different style. I prefer the richer, more sherried style of Redbreast but Green Spot has some great fresh citrus notes, and herbal, almost minty notes.

They're both great. It's down to preference, really.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Meaty Ore posted:

I like both as well. From what I remember, Green Spot gave me really strong crisp green apple notes and Redbreast (cask strength at least) was more honey.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

coiol posted:

I like both as well. From what I remember, Green Spot gave me really strong crisp green apple notes and Redbreast (cask strength at least) was more honey.

Only time I ever had Redbreast I had a cold and couldn’t taste it very well. What I did enjoy was the mouth feel and the “weight” on the tongue and throat. I think they have some at a store I visit every month or so and now that I remember I will specifically look for it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

Yes! Friend of mine helps run a bourbon group, and his infinity bottle is absolutely amazing. It's an amalgamation of barrel picks and seems like mixing in the last few shots of every bottle and letting it sit has let the best parts of each bottle shine through. I want to start my own, but the fancy decanter I have is leaded glass and I'm not entirely convinced I wanna let anything sit in there and possibly leach out the lead. Debating just reusing another interesting bottle like IW Harper or Willet Pot Still and making a custom label for it instead, that way my brain will finally let me drink stuff like Orphan Barrel knowing there will always be a little bit of it blended in and it's never truly gone

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yes! Friend of mine helps run a bourbon group, and his infinity bottle is absolutely amazing. It's an amalgamation of barrel picks and seems like mixing in the last few shots of every bottle and letting it sit has let the best parts of each bottle shine through. I want to start my own, but the fancy decanter I have is leaded glass and I'm not entirely convinced I wanna let anything sit in there and possibly leach out the lead. Debating just reusing another interesting bottle like IW Harper or Willet Pot Still and making a custom label for it instead, that way my brain will finally let me drink stuff like Orphan Barrel knowing there will always be a little bit of it blended in and it's never truly gone

I used the last bit of my Yippee-Ki-Yay (and its bottle) for the start of my rye infinity bottle. As you say, now its memory will never be *truly* gone.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Willet Pot Still bottle is trash to pour out of imo. Looks nice but goddamn I hate actually pouring out of it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of Willett

lol fuckin Metallica bourbon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Speaking of Willett

lol fuckin Metallica bourbon

I thought it said BLACKED for a second

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

brb gonna blast fart metal at barrels of bourbon for 2 years

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm currently measuring out 15ml for a full 750ml bottle. I need about 15 more pours and I'll have a whole bottle. I've used everything I have and I'm a bit anxious to finish off and try the bottle. I was planning to find a cool bottle and create a label like you are and give it as gifts to a few of my bourbon buddies.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I just use an old empty Old Forester 1920 bottle with the labels removed and a different cork
I also just kinda throw in "whatever's left" of my low bottles after pouring a separate 2oz sample bottle to save (of the rare stuff)
Don't have any clue of amounts or percentages or what, only that it's strictly for American Whiskey (and even dickel, bernheim, and mellow corn are all acceptable and part of the blend already)

I was going to use my Old Fitz decanter from last fall, but I haven't even opened that one and I'm not even sure I will

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I bought a decanter online and I'm only putting wheaters in mine, usually the last ounce of two of a bottle as I finish it. I have been adding to mine for at least two years and it's really good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I've worked my way mostly through my bottle of Rittenhouse rye and am looking to replace it with a different rye. It's been good, but to me it has an off taste I pick up on sometimes that I can't put my finger on. Like maybe it's a little woody in a bad/cheap way? I'm not any good with tasting notes.

For the money it was real good, especially for mixing, but I kind of want to branch out on the rye side and find something I like better neat for like $50ish max?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

spankmeister posted:

They are both excellent. Both are pot still Irish whiskey from the same distillery, Midleton, just a slightly different style. I prefer the richer, more sherried style of Redbreast but Green Spot has some great fresh citrus notes, and herbal, almost minty notes.

They're both great. It's down to preference, really.

I prefer Green Spot, but alternate with Redbreast so I have some variety in the style, both are good imo. B

Gives me a break from Islay too!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I've worked my way mostly through my bottle of Rittenhouse rye and am looking to replace it with a different rye. It's been good, but to me it has an off taste I pick up on sometimes that I can't put my finger on. Like maybe it's a little woody in a bad/cheap way? I'm not any good with tasting notes.

For the money it was real good, especially for mixing, but I kind of want to branch out on the rye side and find something I like better neat for like $50ish max?

Sticking with the bourbon-like barely legal ryes:
Old Forester 100 rye
Rare breed rye (or just WT101 rye)
Knob Creek single barrel rye
Elijah Craig Rye
Willett 4 year (if you can find it at MSRP)

More adventurous higher rye mash:
New riff bib or single barrel (or 6y malted rye)
Bulleit rye
Sagamore Spirit Double Oak (or their finishing series)
High West Double Rye
Whistlepig Piggyback

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Sticking with the bourbon-like barely legal ryes:
Old Forester 100 rye
Rare breed rye (or just WT101 rye)
Knob Creek single barrel rye
Elijah Craig Rye
Willett 4 year (if you can find it at MSRP)

More adventurous higher rye mash:
New riff bib or single barrel (or 6y malted rye)
Bulleit rye
Sagamore Spirit Double Oak (or their finishing series)
High West Double Rye
Whistlepig Piggyback

Agree with this whole list but especially the Willett 4, WT Rare Breed, and High West especially if you can find a good double rye barrel pick. Willett 4 is my regular sipper. I loaded up on a stupid amount of bottles when I was passing through KY recently just so I could get it at retail and not runout for a year or two.

Sazerac is totally fine and my go to for Old Fashioneds but I wouldn’t sip it neat.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

sean10mm posted:

Can't believe the thread hasn't recommended Pikesville in its first breath but...

Pikesville.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I'm a big fan of the Wild Turkey 101 Rye. They've started selling it more broadly at a cheaper price point recently (~$21) and IMO it's really tough to beat at that price.

Memnaelar posted:

Can't believe the thread hasn't recommended Pikesville in its first breath but...

Pikesville.

Always a solid recommendation but might be similar enough to Rittenhouse (same distiller & mash bill) to merit branching out a bit further.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

Agree with this whole list but especially the Willett 4, WT Rare Breed, and High West especially if you can find a good double rye barrel pick. Willett 4 is my regular sipper. I loaded up on a stupid amount of bottles when I was passing through KY recently just so I could get it at retail and not runout for a year or two.

Sazerac is totally fine and my go to for Old Fashioneds but I wouldn’t sip it neat.

Agreeing with this agreement!

And, I agree about Sazerac assuming you're talking about Sazerac 6 (which also makes great manhattans and... sazeracs...) but Saz 18 is outstanding (and impossible to find, being part of BTAC).

Edit: Also WT Rye is great, as is everything else WT sells above 90 proof.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
i am very angry with myself that i chose now to try woodford reserve double oak when it's $55~60 and rare and not when it was like $42 and in plentiful stock.

it is a very nice, easy to love bourbon. mmmmmm chocolate

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Having Booker's for the first time in years and hoo boy it's pretty good. Lotta spicy oak for its age, and plenty of brittle candy flavor.

Wish they hadn't jacked the prices three times over like they did, but I was "lucky" enough to find this one for $60 at Costco.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got the Barton distillers “bottled in bond”, 100 proof, green label bottle from Costco last week and just had a chance to try some tonight.

It’s delicious! I am not a person with refined taste or a lot of knowledge with bourbon so I won’t begin to describe the flavor but I really enjoyed it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just had some Wild Turkey 101 alongside some Knob Creek 9 year small batch & McKenna 10 year single barrel (both 100 proof.)

To me the WT101 tastes pretty close to Knob Creek 9, but it also tastes about $10 cheaper, which is about the price difference between the two. So... good job by both distillers? :haw:

Basically both hit similar sweet notes to me, but the WT101 just has more of a charred taste that's a little off for me and a bit more alcohol bite. It was better than I remembered, and definitely better than Woodford Reserve even without accounting for WR's markup over WT101.

The McKenna 10 continues to be the odd one out in both good and bad ways. It has a mustiness (?) that's very odd for bourbon but also a lot of good flavors in there, but since it's a single barrel God knows what somebody else's bottle would taste like by comparison. The one I got is definitely good, but I think the KC9 has an edge on it. When McKenna 10 sold for the same MSRP as KC9 that was fine, but now that it's hard to find and frequently marked up it's not worth the bother IMO.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Green Spot report: I'm sampling my first pour tonight, and liking it. I unfortunately don't have any Redbreast on hand to compare, and I consider myself no great sommelier (though I can pick up on big, obvious differences), but going off memory, I think this may have a bit more body, or heft to it? I feel like I'm getting a bit of wood, grass or perhaps peat on the nose, with the aforementioned citrus. I wasn't sure at first, but after a few sips I'm definitely getting the green apple notes that were mentioned; the finish continues with the apple and adds floral/herbal and woody notes. It certainly differs from what I tend to think of as a typical Irish whiskey, which to my mind/palate are fairly bright, sweet, and sharp. My instincts tell me it would pair well with some nice dark chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How'd people like Early Times BIB? ABC Board is doing a release this Saturday, but considering the opportunity cost is a bottle of Blanton's the only way I'd look around is if I was beaten in line :)

I might drive a little to the further store over, here's the list of releases but they're more likely to have 4AM crazies in line.

BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON 90 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A000186 EAGLE RARE SINGLE BARREL BOURBON 90 PR. 10 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A000249 BLANTONS BOURBON 93 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A004271 WELLER ANTIQUE 107 BOURBON 107 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A004598 WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE 90 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A005346 E.H. TAYLOR JR. SMALL BATCH BOURBON B.I.B 100 PR. 7 YR. 750
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A005921 JOHN J. BOWMAN BOURBON 100 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A007045 ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PR. BOURBON 132 PR. 12 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A007535 FOUR ROSES SMALL BATCH SELECT BOURBON 104 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A009867 OLD FORESTER SGL BARREL / BARREL STRENGTH- BARREL SELECTION
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A010200 RUSSELL'S RESERVE BOURBON 114 PR. 13 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 E009819 EARLY TIMES B.I.B. BOURBON 100 PR. LITER
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 F004585 BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON 90 PR. 1.75 L