Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

teethgrinder posted:

Sounds like Advance Wars-style games.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That or Heroes of Might and Magic

I have played entries in both these series, so this tracks. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I didn't know/remember HoMM did that. The only game I ever played like that series used the same engine, but was a wonderful Norse spin-off called Hammer of the Gods.

...okay, reading about it now, I had no idea Hammer of the Gods came before Heroes and influenced them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Homm kinda did if you want to count that it was always stacks of units so every time one got attacked it became "weaker" as the stack shrank

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
In HoMM armies were stacked onto the same unit on the play field. So your one peasant on the field actually could represent 1,000 peasants, so they would do 1,000 times their base damage each attack. Likewise if the stack took 200 damage and each peasant had 10hp, 20 peasants would die and you would have 980 peasants left in the army.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dhamster posted:

In HoMM armies were stacked onto the same unit on the play field. So your one peasant on the field actually could represent 1,000 peasants, so they would do 1,000 times their base damage each attack. Likewise if the stack took 200 damage and each peasant had 10hp, 20 peasants would die and you would have 980 peasants left in the army.

didn't some monster have a mechanic where what they killed got added to their stack? i want to say zombies?

edit: googling the one i played on ps2 it was ghosts

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

didn't some monster have a mechanic where what they killed got added to their stack? i want to say zombies?

Vampires could regen their dead stacks and there was straight up a hero ability that added skeletons to your army after every victory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pile of brown posted:

Homm kinda did if you want to count that it was always stacks of units so every time one got attacked it became "weaker" as the stack shrank

I only played one of those games, whichever one was on XBLA, that might've been more specifically what I'm thinking of. That mechanic always pops into my mind whenever I'm fighting in a turn based game. It's like "gotta completely wipe out <whatever character>, because even though they're only at 1 hp left, they still hit just as hard". I just remember at least one time when those 1hp enemies were super weak as they were almost dead.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Len posted:

Ghosts did this in homm2, vampires could heal and resurrect themselves from the damage they did. Necromancer heroes could also raise dead creatures as skeletons (and sometimes other undead creatures).

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

One glitch is enough, I think, but noooo, Double Glitch party. Lots of stuns is sure nice, though.

I think the Blinding Spellbook and the Weaver are an infinite combo. Get 4 mana and then duplicate it forever? Wait, nm, single cast.

Deathwish +Duplicate on Manacan also lead to generating a boatload of mana. 4 then 8 then 16 (etc)

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 12, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I got *really* lucky on some item draws and class synergy and finally beat Unfair (on shortcut).

I literally jumped up and did a little dance.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

CainFortea posted:

I got *really* lucky on some item draws and class synergy and finally beat Unfair (on shortcut).

I literally jumped up and did a little dance.

Time to aim for floor 20 unfair!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mile'ionaha posted:

One glitch is enough, I think, but noooo, Double Glitch party. Lots of stuns is sure nice, though.

I think the Blinding Spellbook and the Weaver are an infinite combo. Get 4 mana and then duplicate it forever? Wait, nm, single cast.

Deathwish +Duplicate on Manacan also lead to generating a boatload of mana. 4 then 8 then 16 (etc)

Blinding spell book is a single cast per battle. It would be too strong otherwise.

Edit: oops I can't read. There are infinite combos. I did one with dragon egg and sorcerer.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I have one Challenge left in Slice & Dice, and that's to get 2 Standard Unfair wins in a row.

I thought I might have had it in the bag on my first recent attempt, I beat Unfair once and died at level 16 on the next run. I haven't got close since though, lol

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I thought it might be fun to give Mithril Shields (add cantrip to all shield sides) to a hero with duplicate on one of their shield sides. My entire party died to poison three rounds later.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Anyone playing Everdale? Quite enjoying it as a little village builder to pick up a couple of times a day. Wondering if there's a goon 'valley'

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Supercell has been axing so many games that have been in beta, that I'll probably wait until the global launch happens before trying Everdale.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

BoldFace posted:

Supercell has been axing so many games that have been in beta, that I'll probably wait until the global launch happens before trying Everdale.

That's just their model. They make lots of games and only invest in the ones that test well against the public. Could be they have extremely aggressive ARPPU and conversion targets as well.

If you want a game to succeed the best way is to spend on it. :eng99:

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
I didn't realise it wasn't out globally yet! It's pretty chill so far, the IAP is fairly standard cosmetics and gems.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Anybody playing sky force reloaded? I could use some friends.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!
I want to play Dungeon of the Endless with a controller, except the port inexplicably does not have controller support. Which businesses should I burn down to achieve this?

Alternatively what a good controller games on Android? Already on it with Dead Cells and Pascals Wager, and Titan Quest.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pozzo posted:

I want to play Dungeon of the Endless with a controller, except the port inexplicably does not have controller support. Which businesses should I burn down to achieve this?

Alternatively what a good controller games on Android? Already on it with Dead Cells and Pascals Wager, and Titan Quest.

Isn't the steam controller basically made to pay games that don't have controller functionality? I dunno how much they are but maybe check that out.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't the steam controller basically made to pay games that don't have controller functionality? I dunno how much they are but maybe check that out.

I mean, I could just play DoTE on my PC with a controller but...um...I want to do it 6 metres slightly to the left

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Apparently the Steam Controller only works in android 11 via USB? Definitely sucks in Bluetooth mode.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If anyone is keeping an eye out for upcoming games that look promising, the developers of the gacha game Arknights just announced that they're developing a proper buy-once single player game.

https://twitter.com/Astris_EN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGsF0YmK-L0

Reasonably interesting pre-alpha footage. At least they have a good aesthetic.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
If anyone who enjoyed the Kingdom rush games is tempted by Ironhide's new post apocalyptic tower defense I'd suggest you don't bother. They'd had IAP heroes and towers in Kingdom Rush for a while but it was perfectly good to play without, but they've ramped up the IAP even further (you need energy to play a mission) and the tower defense gameplay itself is much less satisfying. I hated it, which is a shame as I really enjoyed the Kingdom Rush games.

Loved slice and dice though!

FloppyDisk
Feb 5, 2004
Is this where I put my Title text?
I absolutely love Slice & Dice and I wanted to see if anyone else had interest in an easier cursed endless mode. I'm personally looking for an endless setting to give that power trip feeling without the bone crushing difficulty.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

FloppyDisk posted:

I absolutely love Slice & Dice and I wanted to see if anyone else had interest in an easier cursed endless mode. I'm personally looking for an endless setting to give that power trip feeling without the bone crushing difficulty.

I have been thinking about this. Maybe one that starts you with a blessing instead of a curse. I do like how exclusive/exciting the curse mode blessings feel at the moment though.

FloppyDisk
Feb 5, 2004
Is this where I put my Title text?
Don't get me wrong, I like how well-paced the current Cursed mode is. Every decision is relevant and you really have to analyze the board before each round to min/max all your items and abilities but I also would like a mode just to play around in. I was thinking an endless mode where you keep your items after each loop would be interesting, maybe even start adding duplicates after a certain iteration. That way you can really experience all the crazy broken combos for that dopamine hit.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Unlocked: Broken Mode

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tann posted:

🙏

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Broken mode already exists, it's 5 adepts in custom party.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Speaking of broken...

I think this might be too much, maybe there's some way to tone it down, I think it probably needs to be tier 14 or something right now!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Tann posted:

Where do I buy this IAP?

TELL ME

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have a flagship phone for the first time in many years. Are there any good easy to control games with nice graphics that take advantage of more horsepower? I just tried Genshin Impact but I don't really like touch screen action stuff, so adventure, puzzle, or RPG stuff would be good. I know I'll just play the dice game and shortyz crosswords eventually though.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 15, 2021

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got my hard mode Speedrun in slice and dice finally. Turns out sharpshot with the +4 to sides 4+ and rampage on the killshot trivializes a lot of the end game if you can roll it.

Liking this game a lot more than I initially expected to.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It's really good. I've burned through every challenge now except Unfair Streak

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dhamster posted:

It's really good. I've burned through every challenge now except Unfair Streak

Unfair streak is unreal. Maybe I'm choosing the wrong options at the start.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea unfair streak is just brutal, not really sure what strategy I could even do to make it more realistic.

On that note I feel like the top 3 start poisoned option should be nerfed a bit. Compared to the start damaged it's almost always far going to deal more damage and forces you into multiple cleanses asap. IMO it could be top 2 I think.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Running unfair with the first 3 curses is the easiest option, but I've only ever won Standard Unfair once. Though I haven't hacked away at it as much as I did with Cursed mode, which to me is a lot more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dhamster posted:

Running unfair with the first 3 curses is the easiest option, but I've only ever won Standard Unfair once. Though I haven't hacked away at it as much as I did with Cursed mode, which to me is a lot more fun

I'm not sure if rerolls or spell cost is harder