Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently Stetson "unleash the loving dragon" Bennet has a strained back. UGA quarterback situation getting weird.

Here's hoping for a repeat of the 2019 game in Athens! :v: Although our own quarterback situation is still a little weird with Luke Doty consistently being dangled as a possibility and then "oh, nope, sorry, he can't go after all." Zeb Noland is a pretty terrible placeholder, but the idea of getting Doty his first live action of the season against UGA is also not a great option to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

I wonder how big Mullen's raise will be. Well-deserved at this point imo, even if he is an abrasive dipshit.

Hopefully the AD can hold out until Saturday.

LeeMajors posted:

Again, by comparison, they look like a communist utopia.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Housing. Must be nice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don’t know what you do for a living but I’m assuming you haven’t worked a lot of overdoses or done much CPR in homeless camps under overpasses or behind Walmarts in our thriving corporate oligarchy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

A lot of talk about how bad Texas is, but have you considered Arkansas might actually be good?

I'm going to enjoy this delusion until they inevitably get their asses kicked.

Other than getting boatraced by Georgia and Alabama, I don't see any reason they couldn't win any of the other games.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dan Rubenstein used the words “scared for Bama” in the Solid Verbal week 3 preview and I cannot stop laughing…..

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t know what you do for a living but I’m assuming you haven’t worked a lot of overdoses or done much CPR in homeless camps under overpasses or behind Walmarts in our thriving corporate oligarchy.

I won't go down that D&D rabbit hole other than to reiterate what I was getting at with the concrete brutalist hellscape: other systems (and people are voluntarily migrating from those to ours) aren't that great, either.

LeeMajors posted:

Dan Rubenstein used the words “scared for Bama” in the Solid Verbal week 3 preview and I cannot stop laughing…..

I'm scared for the Bama game, but not for Bama.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

I won't go down that D&D rabbit hole other than to reiterate what I was getting at with the concrete brutalist hellscape: other systems (and people are voluntarily migrating from those to ours) aren't that great, either.

Yeah this isn’t a political forum but cmon man…you can’t possibly believe this.

As long as we both believe in Anthony Richardson, all things are possible. :hf:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s funny is those brutalist buildings are unironically better than most American apartment complexes

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is those brutalist buildings are unironically better than most American apartment complexes

There isn’t a SINGLE VISIBLE CRACKER BARREL and thus it is poo poo

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A few years ago, I was in Coventry to collaborate with some colleagues at the University of Warwick. There were posters around promoting their American football team and their American-style cheerleading squad. I doubt the football team was very good. It was more of a club sport, but I suppose they had enough funding for real pads and uniforms, which is more expensive than most other club sports.

As far as watching goes, I was in London in late October of 2011. At Victoria Station is [or was] a sports bar that was the gathering point for the Big Ten London club. Every TV in the place had a Big Ten game on. I enjoyed watching Illinois @ Penn State in a freak October snowstorm with a dozen Penn State fans, the week before the bye when the Sandusky story broke. It was one of the most fun Penn State watching experiences I've had. The game ended around midnight London time, and I spent the next two hours walking around and enjoying Halloween costumes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess it depends on if you prefer burning alive/smoke inhalation or being crushed in a collapse.

Potayto potahto.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah this isn’t a political forum but cmon man…you can’t possibly believe this.

Most people believe it as well because it's true so it shouldn't be that outlandish to you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol it’s definitely not true. Outside some systems which are already American vassals or are former American vassals

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

RumbleFish posted:

Here's hoping for a repeat of the 2019 game in Athens! :v: Although our own quarterback situation is still a little weird with Luke Doty consistently being dangled as a possibility and then "oh, nope, sorry, he can't go after all." Zeb Noland is a pretty terrible placeholder, but the idea of getting Doty his first live action of the season against UGA is also not a great option to think about.

I just assume SC is going to be UGA's brainfart game each time they visit Athens. Makes is sting a little less...

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Komet posted:

As far as watching goes, I was in London in late October of 2011. At Victoria Station is [or was] a sports bar that was the gathering point for the Big Ten London club. Every TV in the place had a Big Ten game on

That's pretty cool! I feel like I live in a bit of a CFB desert in capital district NY. 'Cuse is 2h away and Buffalo 5h (might as well drive to Happy Valley at that point). Hard not to have great games nearby but not even a great sports bar scene for it.. I've had to beg for TVs to be turned from news/bullshit to games before in places that will coordinate every Sunday NFL game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/TDsTake/status/1438188680095612930?s=19

This does not seem reassuring if you're hoping he's going to stay at psu lol

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lol yeah I am not reassured at all

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Franklin to USC is too dumb not to happen.

nah posted:

Most people believe it as well because it's true so it shouldn't be that outlandish to you

lol ok. Back to football.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Not even the standard denial. It costs you nothing to lie and everyone does it!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

He may leave for USC but so far Franklin has done the exact same thing every time his name come up over the years. I also think it has usually led to more $$ so he has a good reason not to outright deny anything.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
WE ARE... HIRING.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sash! posted:

The only reason that college football is a thing is the unstoppable force of inertia. Reading any more into it is a fool's errand. The sport was an amateur sport almost to the 70s. Pro football as a national sport barely existed in the 60s. That's practically yesterday. Our parents were still children.

The AFL that becomes the AFC didn't exist until 1960. Eight NFL teams predate World War II. The Big Ten was 24 years old when the first NFL team formed. Penn State was on season 46 when the Steelers and Eagles both formed. College football is old.

This is also why the professional baseball system is completely different. College baseball is big for some schools, but most barely pay attention to it, or don't have a team at all. Baseball started as a bunch of independent leagues, barn storming teams, company teams, all sorts of other poo poo. Finally the National League, then the American League started to dominate professional baseball, and all those other leagues became feeder systems to the NL and AL. The minor leagues are all different from the NL and AL, it's not like the G-League in the NBA where NBA teams own their G-League teams. It's honestly a very bizarre set up if you have to describe it to someone who doesn't know anything about professional baseball.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I am faced with a dilemma. Do I bother watching UF-Bama on Saturday? I’ve watched all our other matchups hoping for an improbably upset but I’m kind of tired of hoping.

gently caress.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

I am faced with a dilemma. Do I bother watching UF-Bama on Saturday? I’ve watched all our other matchups hoping for an improbably upset but I’m kind of tired of hoping.

gently caress.

Anthony Richardson

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'm the saxophonist crying to heaven

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Why is the band in shorts and t-shirts? Did they not march? I had to wear full wool uniforms in my day! :argh:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I fully support bands not having to dress like nutcrackers in hot weather.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

2, HOW THE gently caress DOES MILTON HAVE 3 YEARS LEFT? Dude was at Michigan seemingly forever. I thought for sure he was same as hooker a 2 year dude as a RSJr coming in.

Why wouldn’t you expect him to overthrow his eligibility?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Regnevelc posted:

Why wouldn’t you expect him to overthrow his eligibility?

BOOM ROASTED

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

Anthony Richardson

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Waking up to ESPN pushing a story to me even though the only notifications i have on for them are scores taunting the ten worst teams in D1 college football, and then reading it to see that not only did Arizona not make it on the list, but didn't even make the extremely lame pun waiting list section. I'm riled.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

Here's hoping for a repeat of the 2019 game in Athens! :v:

Cocks literally could've gained 0 yards in the second half and still would've won. The most absolute clownball UGA offensive performance of my fandom, and there have been a looooooot of those. Nebraska/Iowa State '09 levels of keystone koppery.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I just assume SC is going to be UGA's brainfart game each time they visit Athens. Makes is sting a little less...

'17 South Carolina gave UGA the best game out of any East team that season. A 24-10 Muschampian slog when the Dawgs never could quite put them away until late.

'15 was, of course, The Greyson Lambert Game®, though.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MourningView posted:

3 minutes to midnight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In 1957, the Queen and Prince Philip took in a Maryland-North Carolina game.

We America'd it up pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9vzQuLjo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXSgW07vhTE

The Times of London was on the scene.

quote:

THE QUEEN IN NEW YORK TO-DAY

The Times
October 21, 1957

MYSTERIES OF FOOTBALL

A huge cheer from some 43,000 people greeted their arrival at the Maryland ground, where, seated between the two state Governors, the Queen was initiated into the mysteries of American football. She and the Duke of Edinburgh sometimes looked a little puzzled as the helmeted, padded young giants hurled themselves into tackles from which the ball rarely seemed to emerge; but there was all the colour of counter-marching bands, the prancing drum majorettes in their attenuated uniforms, and the contortions of the cheer leaders, whose purpose apparently is to whip the rival supporters into a suitable state of frenzy. At one moment a huge Union Jack was formed by a solid bank of spectators across the ground from the royal box. A chilly wind blew and the Queen, who arrived in a rose ensemble, soon put on a full-length $15,000 mink coat presented to her last week by an American mink breeders' association.

Other gifts were presented during the match, including old Indian arrows from Maryland and Oklahoma and footballs for the royal children containing musical boxes which play the Maryland and North Carolina state songs.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
https://twitter.com/BR_CFB/status/1437879124240994305

Winning in South Bend without a future NFL QB? Oooook.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

As long as we both believe in Anthony Richardson, all things are possible. :hf:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

mayodreams posted:

https://twitter.com/BR_CFB/status/1437879124240994305

Winning in South Bend without a future NFL QB? Oooook.

Have I missed something about arizona state to think that ASU over BYU isn't realistic? Or WVU over VT for that matter? I mean can they win, sure, but not the way they've been playing the last two weeks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

downout posted:

Have I missed something about arizona state to think that ASU over BYU isn't realistic? Or WVU over VT for that matter? I mean can they win, sure, but not the way they've been playing the last two weeks.

I think this is just someone picking games, not trying to be a hot take artist for the most part (purdue possibly excepted), just looking for an upset here and there.

Arizona State is going through some stuff and BYU was good last year so I guess that's why they're highlighted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I think this is just someone picking games, not trying to be a hot take artist for the most part (purdue possibly excepted), just looking for an upset here and there.

Arizona State is going through some stuff and BYU was good last year so I guess that's why they're highlighted?

Ya vegas seems to agree with ASU and WVU the favorites. And, uhhh, their calls are better than my hot takes.