Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm prepared to put thatcher 6 feet under again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

david_a posted:

So I have to admit that I only played Half-Life once when I got it back in the day. I still have the CD for it. If I want to replay it, should I mess with that version or HL: Source? Didn’t that one have some weird physics bugs?

definitely the original. you can plug your cd key into steam to add it to your account and get all the updates and fixes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m ashamed to admit that only just now watching the Civvie video did I get the Black Mesa logo, finally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Weedle posted:

every time i watch one of these long half-life videos like civvie's or ncg's i just get to soak for a while in a warm feeling of how much i love half-life

GoldSrc is my favorite game engine ever. The mod heaven that it created was probably my favorite time for gaming.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

david_a posted:

So I have to admit that I only played Half-Life once when I got it back in the day. I still have the CD for it. If I want to replay it, should I mess with that version or HL: Source? Didn’t that one have some weird physics bugs?

Don't play HL Source. And like the guy above said the cdkey will get you HL + expansions on Steam if it's not a secondhand / already used key. Do that instead of trying to get the original install running because there have been bug fixes and modernizations since 1998.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

david_a posted:

Do not play HL source ever, it sucks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Half-Life rules and has aged well despite what some doofuses would say.

But I really don't like Opposing Force....I feel like it missed everything of what made the original special. It's paced weird, why the hell would I want to play as a soldier when playing as a scientist without any combat training was one of the many aspects that made HL unique, tons of the levels are just retreads of the original (Pit Worm's Nest is just Blast Pit but Bad)...idk I don't think Gearbox has ever been very good at their jobs.

Don't forget MMod for HL1 is supposed to come out soon.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-mmod

I never got far in Opposing Force as a kid myself. For me, the thing about Valve's games is their relentless forward momentum, the sense that you're on a grand adventure. In OF I got lost in one of the early levels and stopped playing it. Should give it another try some day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The teleport gun was really cool!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

GoldSrc is my favorite game engine ever. The mod heaven that it created was probably my favorite time for gaming.

oh yeah many great memories of playing half-life 1 mods on my crummy college laptop. those were the days. expectations of production value were low enough that a solo dev could put out something that felt fully-realized and professional. noah’s half-life mod video clued me into a couple i didn’t know about that i’m looking forward to playing, particularly “timeline” which looks like a real trip

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
https://www.runthinkshootlive.com/hof-table/ is a good resource if you're looking for good Half Life mods.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The ultimate joy in Half-Life is the crowbar input bug where swinging it against a corpse causes a ton of hits in 1/10th of a second, gibbing it instantly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Night at the Office was a cool HL1 mod. I used to get them with PC Gamer cover discs. So many hours of free gaming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

manero posted:

The ultimate joy in Half-Life is the crowbar input bug where swinging it against a corpse causes a ton of hits in 1/10th of a second, gibbing it instantly.

The sound of that is glorious

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

manero posted:

I was SO pissed off they took that out in HL Source. It's a bug, sure, but it's a funny bug.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
OK, so I remember now why I haven’t redeemed HL on Steam - my key doesn’t work. Looking into it, I apparently have a Sierra key?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

david_a posted:

OK, so I remember now why I haven’t redeemed HL on Steam - my key doesn’t work. Looking into it, I apparently have a Sierra key?

I had a Sierra key for Half Life Generations and it gave me access to all the games on Steam but this was probably like 15 years ago

Weedle
May 31, 2006

david_a posted:

oh yeah they stopped accepting the sierra keys a while ago. it goes on sale for $1 pretty regularly though and the bundle with opfor/blue shift/tfc was like $3 or something in the summer sale. add it to your wishlist

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Night at the Office was a cool HL1 mod. I used to get them with PC Gamer cover discs. So many hours of free gaming.

USS Darkstar, The Xeno Project, and They Hunger were the real standouts for me from PC Gamer cover discs, even though I literally didn't finish any of them until a couple years ago

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Ok, I just finished Soldier of Fortune and it is so magnificantly, gloriously dumb. I loving love it.

So, let's get the basics out of the way first. Raven gets asked to make a game based on a magazine for gun nuts, and they have no idea what to do with it. The magazine puts them in contact with this grizzled mercenary, a man named John Mullins. Mullins apparently had some great stories, because Raven decides to make him the main character. As if this is, even in the slightest, based on the life of a real person. Please keep this in mind as we go on.

I have never played a game which drops you straight into the action quite as fast as this game. You start in New York, where a bunch of neo-nazi's have taken hostages in the subway. Now, in most shooters you start with a little tiny pistol. In SoF, you start with a massive Rambo knife, a semi-automatic pistol that fires at lightning speed and a loving shotgun that amputates limbs. Within 2 seconds, you've killed your first badguy. That's faster than Doom, Quake or any other shooter I can think of. And from there on, it just doesn't let up. You are hell in the shape of a thousand bullets and you slice and dice your way through anything.

At this point, it is important to note that SoF tries to give itself the illusion of realism. Sure, it's no Rainbow 6, but you have realistic guns, modern terrorist threats and urban warfare. At the same time, it is made on the Quake 2 engine and that legacy is palpable. The result is Call of Duty with the speed of Quake. It plays like nothing else I know. The weapons feel chunky, the sound is thunderous and those giblets produced by the Ghoul-engine are cartoonishly bloody. It just feels good to play in ways that few other games do. The closest in feel is Raven's own Wolfenstein that they would make a decade later, but without all the baggage that dragged that game down.

After the first few levels, it starts getting apparent that Raven knows gently caress all about modern warfare but knows all about cool action films. Here's a game where you get Arnie's rocketlauncher from Commando, Stallone's M60 and knife, Snake Plissken's silenced Uzi, the world's biggest Desert Eagle and more within the first half of the game. The combat constantly pushed you forward and enemies can do a lot of damage but will often only take a few hits to down. The result is you mowing down mooks, fully living the action hero fantasy without ever feeling like you're overpowered. You're a one man army, but you gotta put in the effort.

Besides its taste in film, there is so much that plants this game firmly in the nineties. There's lots of influence from the Balkanconflict and Operation Desert Storm, together with threats like rightwing terrorism (think gangs of Timothy Mcveigh's). As the story continues, things get more and more ridiculous. I'm going to use spoilers from this point onward, because if you haven't played it you own it to yourself to give it a try. Here we go - and remember, it's all just another day in the life of actually-existing-mercenary John Mullins.

The plot revolves around a bunch of stolen nukes. In the first level, you go after African and Serbian warcriminals, tracking the bombs down one by one. After a while, it seems a gang of nazi's is involved, which is connected to a South African terroristgroup that wants to bring back Apartheid. So far, so grim. Before you figure all this out, you visit a Russian secret underwaterbase in Siberia, fight yakuza and literal loving ninja's in Japan and pull a gun to personally threaten Saddam Hussein, who has a secret WMD program. In the end, you infiltrate a secret nuclear base underneath an old German castle, make your way through what can only be described as a Bond-villain lair and have a final shootout with Cobra Commander in his secret submarine base, using microwave cannons and a gun that can only be described as the Bolter from Warhammer 40K.

It is so, so stupid. It is so absolutely awesome. And it is all, remember, based on the real life of Mr. Mullins.

God bless you, Raven, and may you escape from Call of Duty-jail come soon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Ok, I just finished Soldier of Fortune and it is so magnificantly, gloriously dumb. I loving love it.

So, let's get the basics out of the way first. Raven gets asked to make a game based on a magazine for gun nuts, and they have no idea what to do with it. The magazine puts them in contact with this grizzled mercenary, a man named John Mullins. Mullins apparently had some great stories, because Raven decides to make him the main character. As if this is, even in the slightest, based on the life of a real person. Please keep this in mind as we go on.

I have never played a game which drops you straight into the action quite as fast as this game. You start in New York, where a bunch of neo-nazi's have taken hostages in the subway. Now, in most shooters you start with a little tiny pistol. In SoF, you start with a massive Rambo knife, a semi-automatic pistol that fires at lightning speed and a loving shotgun that amputates limbs. Within 2 seconds, you've killed your first badguy. That's faster than Doom, Quake or any other shooter I can think of. And from there on, it just doesn't let up. You are hell in the shape of a thousand bullets and you slice and dice your way through anything.

At this point, it is important to note that SoF tries to give itself the illusion of realism. Sure, it's no Rainbow 6, but you have realistic guns, modern terrorist threats and urban warfare. At the same time, it is made on the Quake 2 engine and that legacy is palpable. The result is Call of Duty with the speed of Quake. It plays like nothing else I know. The weapons feel chunky, the sound is thunderous and those giblets produced by the Ghoul-engine are cartoonishly bloody. It just feels good to play in ways that few other games do. The closest in feel is Raven's own Wolfenstein that they would make a decade later, but without all the baggage that dragged that game down.

After the first few levels, it starts getting apparent that Raven knows gently caress all about modern warfare but knows all about cool action films. Here's a game where you get Arnie's rocketlauncher from Commando, Stallone's M60 and knife, Snake Plissken's silenced Uzi, the world's biggest Desert Eagle and more within the first half of the game. The combat constantly pushed you forward and enemies can do a lot of damage but will often only take a few hits to down. The result is you mowing down mooks, fully living the action hero fantasy without ever feeling like you're overpowered. You're a one man army, but you gotta put in the effort.

Besides its taste in film, there is so much that plants this game firmly in the nineties. There's lots of influence from the Balkanconflict and Operation Desert Storm, together with threats like rightwing terrorism (think gangs of Timothy Mcveigh's). As the story continues, things get more and more ridiculous. I'm going to use spoilers from this point onward, because if you haven't played it you own it to yourself to give it a try. Here we go - and remember, it's all just another day in the life of actually-existing-mercenary John Mullins.

The plot revolves around a bunch of stolen nukes. In the first level, you go after African and Serbian warcriminals, tracking the bombs down one by one. After a while, it seems a gang of nazi's is involved, which is connected to a South African terroristgroup that wants to bring back Apartheid. So far, so grim. Before you figure all this out, you visit a Russian secret underwaterbase in Siberia, fight yakuza and literal loving ninja's in Japan and pull a gun to personally threaten Saddam Hussein, who has a secret WMD program. In the end, you infiltrate a secret nuclear base underneath an old German castle, make your way through what can only be described as a Bond-villain lair and have a final shootout with Cobra Commander in his secret submarine base, using microwave cannons and a gun that can only be described as the Bolter from Warhammer 40K.

It is so, so stupid. It is so absolutely awesome. And it is all, remember, based on the real life of Mr. Mullins.

This is an excellent post.

I still remember a bit from an old gaming magazine interview with John Mullins about how he kept lapsing into these weird thousand yard stares, and wondered whether he was having flashbacks to chopping up bodies with a knife in the same manner I did in his awesome game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a Making-Of interview about SoF1 in Retro Gamer Magazine earlier this year, talking to two devs who worked on the game - one still at Raven, one currently involved with PUBG. Here are some of the cliffs notes:

• Raven were trying to figure out what to do after Heretic 2, when Activision told them they'd somehow got the license to a magazine. How the hell do you turn a magazine into a videogame? Also, how do you make a licensed game not be what one of the interviewed developers lovingly referred to as "poo poo in a box"?
  • The real John Mullins' involvement was "certainly a marketing thing", but he came out to Raven a couple of times, where they talked about his career, combat training and how this stuff would work in the real world.
  • The GHOUL system for breaking down models into subsections required a lot of work on the art side that hadn't really been done before, or at least that other FPSes didn't have to deal with at the time - designating individual zones, modelling little bits of gore and bone to replace limbs, etc. - but once they had it there was a lot of fun on the animation side. (They admit to giving extra attention to certain special cases like the groin-shot animations - "the real crowd pleaser"!)
  • The developers were prepared in advance for some blowback over the violence - they had prepared a low-violence version for Walmart - but were still shocked by the sheer amount of backlash they received. One of the interviewed developers mentions not feeling so good about making people angry, but also not being a huge fan of being blamed for the pending downfall of western civilization by Joe Lieberman. :v:
  • They openly cite the action-movie-hero fantasy you guys have mentioned as what the gameplay was rooted in, focusing on fast-paced combat against "somewhat intelligent" enemies. They originally planned to give the player locational damage as well - get shot in the legs, move slower etc. - but in the end restricted that to multiplayer.
  • The first two levels, the subway and the train, were the first two levels made, used to convince both Activision and, frankly, Raven themselves, that a game could be wrung out of the ingredients given.

There is also a Postmortem of SoF1 written by Raven for Game Developer Magazine back in 2000, going over what went well behind the scenes and what didn't.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 15, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe i should give sof another shot sometime, i never made it beyond the train level when i tried a year or two ago. was just very boring

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

There is also a Postmortem of SoF1 written by Raven for Game Developer Magazine back in 2000, going over what went well behind the scenes and what didn't.

AMAZING! Thanks for the link

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Weedle posted:

definitely the original. you can plug your cd key into steam to add it to your account and get all the updates and fixes

I have a dumb question - is it possible to persuade/manipulate/cudgel the Steam release into showing the original CD release’s interface? I prefer it overwhelmingly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

I have a dumb question - is it possible to persuade/manipulate/cudgel the Steam release into showing the original CD release’s interface? I prefer it overwhelmingly.

I don't think so, it was patched a long time to integrate with Steam

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To my absolute surprise, I just managed to get SoF running flawlessly on my Intel MBP on Big Sur. I used the Soldier of Fortune community edition download from here https://www.sof1.org/sofdownload.php and then ran a program called Porting Kit https://portingkit.com/. After installing Porting Kit, you search for Soldier of Fortune and then point it to the EXE you download from that forum link. It works some sort of Wineskin wrapper magic and then you just launch the game through Porting Kit. Runs perfectly full-screen at 60fps. Glorious!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I felt so dumb years back when I realized it was a licensed game for the magazine. Since it's a generic kinda term I didn't make the connection for awhile.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

soldier of fortune magazine is just penthouse for the kinds of dudes who nut to liveleak videos

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This is a great post. It's cool that there are people who still remember/love this game, I figured it was pretty obscure at this point. What difficulty did you play on? I don't think any of the default difficulty options are tuned well since Medium and below makes the AI braindead but Challenging and up restricts your gun inventory too much and makes the AI practically aimbots. This is the first game I can think of that gives you custom difficulty options right away and I think tinkering with those is the best option.

The Kins posted:

There was a Making-Of interview about SoF1 in Retro Gamer Magazine earlier this year, talking to two devs who worked on the game - one still at Raven, one currently involved with PUBG. Here are some of the cliffs notes:

• Raven were trying to figure out what to do after Heretic 2, when Activision told them they'd somehow got the license to a magazine. How the hell do you turn a magazine into a videogame? Also, how do you make a licensed game not be what one of the interviewed developers lovingly referred to as "poo poo in a box"?
  • The real John Mullins' involvement was "certainly a marketing thing", but he came out to Raven a couple of times, where they talked about his career, combat training and how this stuff would work in the real world.
  • The GHOUL system for breaking down models into subsections required a lot of work on the art side that hadn't really been done before, or at least that other FPSes didn't have to deal with at the time - designating individual zones, modelling little bits of gore and bone to replace limbs, etc. - but once they had it there was a lot of fun on the animation side. (They admit to giving extra attention to certain special cases like the groin-shot animations - "the real crowd pleaser"!)
  • The developers were prepared in advance for some blowback over the violence - they had prepared a low-violence version for Walmart - but were still shocked by the sheer amount of backlash they received. One of the interviewed developers mentions not feeling so good about making people angry, but also not being a huge fan of being blamed for the pending downfall of western civilization by Joe Lieberman. :v:
  • They openly cite the action-movie-hero fantasy you guys have mentioned as what the gameplay was rooted in, focusing on fast-paced combat against "somewhat intelligent" enemies. They originally planned to give the player locational damage as well - get shot in the legs, move slower etc. - but in the end restricted that to multiplayer.
  • The first two levels, the subway and the train, were the first two levels made, used to convince both Activision and, frankly, Raven themselves, that a game could be wrung out of the ingredients given.

Is this the Retrogamer piece you're talking about?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

There's this which I ran across a while back but I haven't looked at it in depth. It claims to work in modern sourceports. Not sure if it's what you're looking for or if you've seen it already:

https://www.moddb.com/downloads/scoredoom-monster-replacement-randomizer-v115

agh this is ALMOST perfect but it doesn't have the powerups like double damage and drain and poo poo. i tried to google for a mod to add powerups just as its own thing, but it doesn't exist? but it seems like they're kind of built into zdoom? i'm so confused. doom modding is complicated. someone help.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, that's the one, I wasn't sure if it had been posted online in an "official" manner.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hell yes :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCCAnnLRcgY

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 15, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Been following these two for running SoF1 (with SoFplus) on my GOG release:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Soldier_of_Fortune#SoFplus
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/

Did the mohaa.exe fix and everything works perfectly. The only thing is that I can't make the game run well on my secondary monitor as moving the window (borderless fullscreen or just fullscreen) makes that any click minimizes the game. I tried "moving" the window via cfg but doesn't play well too. I guess I'll just switch primary screens before running SoF as this happened to me with Resident Evil 2 Remake too.

SoF with sofplus looks great, high FoV and the HUD position is perfectly adjusted. Playthrough incoming!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

This is a great post. It's cool that there are people who still remember/love this game, I figured it was pretty obscure at this point. What difficulty did you play on? I don't think any of the default difficulty options are tuned well since Medium and below makes the AI braindead but Challenging and up restricts your gun inventory too much and makes the AI practically aimbots. This is the first game I can think of that gives you custom difficulty options right away and I think tinkering with those is the best option.

Thanks! I played on custom. Unlimited saves (you don't need them but I want to quit without losing progress), biggest carrying capability (don't think you need it but it's fun), second-to-last amount of enemies (turning this up to full just made guys constantly spawn behind me and fell cheap, this felt like the good balance) and second-to-last aggressiveness (because yeah, otherwise enemies become aimbots).

I think I'll turn down the amount of weapons you can bring with you into a mission when I replay it, because improvising is fun and you don't need 3 machine guns. I might also turn the enemy spawn rate all the way up and their aggressiveness way down to see what happens, just for fun.

Oh, and very important! Use the community edition someone posted earlier in this thread (I wish I had) and follow the instructions on pcgamingwiki to make all corpses permanent. It really adds a lot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

All the SOF talk reminded me that I bought it when GOG got it, and played a bit before burning out a bit for some reason. I need to go back and finish it.

I also remembered CIA Operative: Solo Missions which my cousin bought in 2001, and wouldn’t loan to me because he’s a dick. It’s apparently a lovely budget game but stray memory made me grab a cheap copy on eBay. LGR made a Worst 17 PC Games video way back when he first started out, and several items on there were poo poo games my cousin bought. He had a fair bit of Head Games poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I also remembered CIA Operative: Solo Missions which my cousin bought in 2001, and wouldn’t loan to me because he’s a dick. It’s apparently a lovely budget game but stray memory made me grab a cheap copy on eBay. LGR made a Worst 17 PC Games video way back when he first started out, and several items on there were poo poo games my cousin bought. He had a fair bit of Head Games poo poo.

Is this the PS2 one that ends with you wrestling Bin Laden?

edit: nah that can't be right, it would have been a few years later. Wonder what that game was

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

All the SOF talk reminded me that I bought it when GOG got it, and played a bit before burning out a bit for some reason. I need to go back and finish it.

"Check it out bro, I got the entire capstone games library. It's the pinnacle of entertainment software!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Convex posted:

edit: nah that can't be right, it would have been a few years later. Wonder what that game was
No it came out pre-9/11. Sort of commendable for attempting to have non-combat mission goals.

This was around the same time he bought Secret Service: In Harm's Way, which wasn’t great but at least it was sort of playable.

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Check it out bro, I got the entire capstone games library. It's the pinnacle of entertainment software!"
TekWar at least kind of tried. Can’t say that for anything made by Head Games. It’s been way too long since LGR made a Head Games video.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 16, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

TekWar at least kind of tried. Can’t say that for anything made by Head Games. It’s been way too long since LGR made a Head Games video.

Did it though? I think it's just a build game and a no-effort build game is going to be better than a no-effort wolf3d engine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Convex posted:

You might be thinking of the awesomely bad Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlBPkTppcOE

There was a PC version too