Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Lizard Combatant posted:

None at all. The Borg tech stuff isn't even relevant to the plot at all, yet is given significant screen time. It's window dressing. A red herring at best for the sake of "mystery".

I guess I saw it as, a bit more flavor for the universe, letting us know it was a thing that existed, even if it wasn't directly related to the main plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Almost all of the Borg stuff could have been removed without affecting anything

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

V-Men posted:

I guess I saw it as, a bit more flavor for the universe, letting us know it was a thing that existed, even if it wasn't directly related to the main plot.

If it was some stuff in passing maybe? But they built it up as having equal significance as anything else right up until it stopped mattering entirely. Why was half the show set on the cube? Apart from being able to use it in the marketing of course.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

And going by the last episode, in a way it was!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The show doesn't have anything to say about the fact that at any point any of the ex borg could have just turned the cube on again.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alchenar posted:

The show doesn't have anything to say about the fact that at any point any of the ex borg could have just turned the cube on again.

Where the hell was the episode where someone gets stuck in the off limits zone and the house of horrors lurches back to life?! Like seriously what was the loving point if you're not going to actually include that?! I would have given the lamest character of all time a bit of a pass if his sword poo poo actually came in useful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lizard Combatant posted:

I would have given the lamest character of all time a bit of a pass if his sword poo poo actually came in useful.

Modern Trek is LOVING that game

"He's an [alien]. They are known for [trait] and he uses a [weapon]"
"Cool, how does that influence the story?"
"Does what now?"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Lizard Combatant posted:

If it was some stuff in passing maybe? But they built it up as having equal significance as anything else right up until it stopped mattering entirely. Why was half the show set on the cube? Apart from being able to use it in the marketing of course.

Do you mean entire Borg element or just the harvesting of borg implants?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheTartanTart/status/1437866612925816834?s=20

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

V-Men posted:

Do you mean entire Borg element or just the harvesting of borg implants?

Ah sorry, yeah I started replying to the question as to what purpose the live vivisection had to do with the harvesting of the implants (nothing) but then segued into general moaning about the Borg stuff in general.

Basically the Borg tech stuff on and off the cube felt like a setup that quickly went nowhere and then the entire Borg element (less quickly) went nowhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Trip, please aim your chaw spit at the waste reclaim chutes at least"

"No can do cap'n I like to see how much I've spit" *swishes bottle*

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Modern Trek is LOVING that game

"He's an [alien]. They are known for [trait] and he uses a [weapon]"
"Cool, how does that influence the story?"
"Does what now?"

"His thing is he swears an oath to a hopeless cause and follows it through to success or death"
"does he do that?"
"no"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

What was the cause again, and how did it end up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sash! posted:

Only reason you say?

Not, say, the thoughts of our ancestors who were like "if I eat this guy and we establish that it is ok to eat other people, what's going to stop people from just killing me and eating me like I'm a pig or a cow or something? Maybe we should just all agree to not eat each other."

Or prion diseases. Which are a pretty good reason.

Yes, that's what I meant by "the hassle."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

galenanorth posted:

What was the cause again, and how did it end up

To find and protect Soji, which I guess turned out alright though he wasn't there for that last bit; I guess that transferred to helping Hugh which didn't work out well

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are like three or four different stories introduced in the first two episodes and they don't do poo poo with most of them.
You could cut all of the Borg stuff and not change anything.
You could cut all of the Romulan stuff and not change anything (or arguably improve things because then the show wouldn't have the characters with the 'barely subtext' incest vibes.)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’m still annoyed Picard set us up with the great Tal Shiar housekeepers who were dumped after episode 3, and teased us with Number One who wasn’t seen after episode 1.

At least they’re supposed to be back for Season 2?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Remember when they hype up 7 activating all the drones on the cube and then they just vent them into space and warp off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We're subverting expectations!

Like, you expect tension and catharsis

Lol

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Remember when they hype up 7 activating all the drones on the cube and then they just vent them into space and warp off.

Remember that Romulan antagonist who joins up with the good guys and then immediately disappears from the series because the writers literally forgot about the character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zaroff posted:

I’m still annoyed Picard set us up with the great Tal Shiar housekeepers who were dumped after episode 3, and teased us with Number One who wasn’t seen after episode 1.

At least they’re supposed to be back for Season 2?
I would imagine that something similar will happen here

Q messing with the timeline probably means that they aren’t with Picard anymore

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Khanstant posted:

If they served human meat at the store, I would buy it. Unless it tasted horrible or was expensive. I would also not hesitate to eat the meat of a loved one or anyone else (again, assuming it's as good beef or chicken). The part that would be upsetting is people I care about being hurt or killed, but if they're dead, they're dead. The best thing to do with a dead person is carve out their good organs for the living to use. Reckon the second best think would be to eat the meat and use the parts for whatever use they may be, maybe in experiments! Worst thing to do with a corpse is anything else.

I know I'm going back a bit but what, the ever, loving, gently caress.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doggles posted:

Remember that Romulan antagonist who joins up with the good guys and then immediately disappears from the series because the writers literally forgot about the character.

Nah it's worse than that because they filmed an ending for him and then removed it in the edit because they realised 'oh wait this story doesn't actually go anywhere so we can get some time back in the finale by cutting the ending and it doesn't change anything'.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
TOS inspired people to be scientists and engineers and doctors.

Disco inspired people to go 'hey if I could like buy a person as a sausage from walmart I guess I would'?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wait a minute, NONE of this goes anywhere!

...guess we can go home!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Nah it's worse than that because they filmed an ending for him and then removed it in the edit because they realised 'oh wait this story doesn't actually go anywhere so we can get some time back in the finale by cutting the ending and it doesn't change anything'.

wait really?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

To find and protect Soji, which I guess turned out alright though he wasn't there for that last bit; I guess that transferred to helping Hugh which didn't work out well

Oh, right. That just made it even weirder that they killed off Hugh right after introducing him, like they had done to Maddox and Icheb. Three guest character deaths feels like too much of a coincidence for them not to have had this idea:

"We have to kill off somebody for shock value, but it can't be main cast, so let's kill off a guest character. Better yet, let's kill off characters established in canon so that it will be more shocking. That way, we don't have to do the work in building up an original guest character, and we can collect on someone else's work, like how a vulture capitalist can buy something, kill off long-term revenue in exchange for short-term gains, and then resell after collecting on them."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galenanorth posted:

Oh, right. That just made it even weirder that they killed off Hugh right after introducing him, like they had done to Maddox and Icheb. Three guest character deaths feels like too much of a coincidence for them not to have had this idea:

"We have to kill off somebody for shock value, but it can't be main cast, so let's kill off a guest character. Better yet, let's kill off characters established in canon so that it will be more shocking. That way, we don't have to do the work in building up an original guest character, and we can collect on someone else's work, like how a vulture capitalist can buy something, kill off long-term revenue in exchange for short-term gains, and then resell after collecting on them."

And at that point it's a one season show! Everyone except Patrick Stewart is a guest star and you can kill them if you want.

Yeah he gets handed off in to Federation custody for his crimes against the federation of, um

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 15, 2021

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

galenanorth posted:

I’m pretty certain they had bigger plans for Hugh, but then Jeri Ryan decided to do more than the one episode, so Hugh got dropped to make way for her.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*soft, sarcastic yay*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
someone in my graduate program has a cat named michael burnham. her ex worked on discovery and named the cat, apparently.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

someone in my graduate program has a cat named michael burnham. her ex worked on discovery and named the cat, apparently.

No. Noooooo-

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arivia posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't laugh, that cat's saved the world more times than you could count

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zaroff posted:

I’m pretty certain they had bigger plans for Hugh, but then Jeri Ryan decided to do more than the one episode, so Hugh got dropped to make way for her.
When they originally announced the Picard show, the actor who plays Hugh was at the announcement and he was I think one of the first announced returning characters. Then, sometime later, Jeri Ryan was added to the cast. I'm pretty convinced that whatever they had planned for Hugh (if it was even that much, since we know that they wrote this on the fly) was thrown out the window and replaced with Seven.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The episode where his parents used Hugh as a Bioweapon is one of the better VOY ones.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Zedd posted:

The episode where his parents used Hugh as a Bioweapon is one of the better VOY ones.

Icheb. Pay attention.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder if Harry's still an ensign in that timeline.