Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I did like that game a lot!! I like visual novels. My favorite game was when it was 999 and Pop Dog made fun of me for playing it during the Ravens game. The weirder they are the better.

👀👀👀

Give me some visual novel reqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Metapod posted:

👀👀👀

Katawa Shoujo

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Borsche69 posted:

trade watkins lol

Chiefs are scarily shallow at receiving talent and have a noticeably Sammy-shaped hole in their offense atm. They're one of the few teams that might actually trade for him. My hunch is that Watkins probably feels done with the Chiefs, though.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

I’m Andy Dalton

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

I did like that game a lot!! I like visual novels. My favorite game was when it was 999 and Pop Dog made fun of me for playing it during the Ravens game. The weirder they are the better.

I'm a huge fan of Doki Doki Literature Club too! What were the things you liked best?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Da Browns

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Barreft posted:

I'm a huge fan of Doki Doki Literature Club too! What were the things you liked best?

Just Monika.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

dingo with a joint posted:

Chiefs are scarily shallow at receiving talent and have a noticeably Sammy-shaped hole in their offense atm. They're one of the few teams that might actually trade for him. My hunch is that Watkins probably feels done with the Chiefs, though.
The Chiefs were done with him.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Borsche69 posted:

Just Monika.

I liked that. I imagined that nasty Monika trapping me in a room in space and making the worst mistake of her life!! I'd tell her about the Ravens and argue with her about it. And then talk about birds all the time like I do on here. And she'd eventually go crazy and let me go :D

I always wanted to be more like Yuri. I wish I could write like that.

Metapod posted:

👀👀👀

I haven't really played enough of them. But I like them. I'm a person who doesn't get into a media thing easily. Like my music situation.

LiquidFriend posted:

The Chiefs were done with him.

What I'm thinking is by the deadline some team will have some injury or desperately need a WR. So then we give them watkins.

The sad thing to me is that Hollywood Brown seems to be Watkins II and is a good player who just physically can't stay healthy. I hope Bateman doesn't have these same problems

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 16, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

gnosia

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the Ravens should just give somebody Watkins. Why does everything have to be transactional with you Kawalimus?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Most of the Ravens depth are built on those picks dude. Can you please read anything other than the 2002 Ravens wikipedia page.

After the 2011 CBA, hitting on rookie picks has been one of the most crucial elements to building a roster. Its a bunch of cheap players that can potentially play well. And there's no actual guarantee to who can play well (even if you do have a good developmental staff) so you want a lot of picks so that you have more shots at landing a good player, to say nothing of the flexibility that it gives you to move up or down or get other players or get more picks next year etc.

What's going on here? You think that Watkins is going to get a 2nd round pick 'if he stays healthy and plays well'. You hate getting more draft picks. You want Ozzie Newsome fired. You doing okay? Everything alright at home?

I don't hate getting more picks I just don't see the point of amassing so many day 2 picks when only a few of those guys can make the team and you often can't even know who of those will be good for a few years. So Id take as many 2nd round picks you can throw at me because those have a good chance of being quality starters.

Depth doesnt matter in todays NFL. If it happens it happens by accident. You just have to hope your key starters stay healthy. If they go down its curtains for you. I do understand the importance of cheap young players to fill space. But id sacrifice all other picks for two firsts and two seconds each year.

If we use those picks in packages to get more 2nd and 3rds thats fine. But look at this year we traded some late round CB for another late round pick. So whats the point of it then?

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 16, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kawalimus posted:

I don't hate getting more picks I just don't see the point of amassing so many day 2 picks when only a few of those guys can make the team and you often can't even know who of those will be good for a few years. So Id take as many 2nd round picks you can throw at me because those have a good chance of being quality starters.

Depth doesnt matter in todays NFL. If it happens it happens by accident. You just have to hope your key starters stay healthy. If they go down its curtains for you. I do understand the importance of cheap young players to fill space. But id sacrifice all other picks for two firsts and two seconds each year.

If we use those picks in packages to get more 2nd and 3rds thats fine. But look at this year we traded some late round CB for another late round pick. So whats the point of it then?

Have you considered a career in sports punditry?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

The week 1 tilt! What bird is most susceptible to tilt? I say it's the crow because they're smart enough to get really frustrated.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I actually agree that depth doesn't matter that much, it's about having enough starting talent left over after attrition and having a capable staff that can scheme around holes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

But id sacrifice all other picks for two firsts and two seconds each year.

Wow you don't fuckin say

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wow you don't fuckin say

So what I mean is use these picks in package deals to try to get more 1st-3rd round picks instead of just tons of late round picks we can't even fit on the roster if they are decent like that CB we traded to New England

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Depth is important for future development, and quality depth makes it easier for the staff to scheme around them if they are forced into service before they were expected to. I would rather have Anthony Averett emergency step in to a starting role than idk Cyrus Jones.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I liked that. I imagined that nasty Monika trapping me in a room in space and making the worst mistake of her life!! I'd tell her about the Ravens and argue with her about it. And then talk about birds all the time like I do on here. And she'd eventually go crazy and let me go :D

I always wanted to be more like Yuri. I wish I could write like that.

Lmfao

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

So what I mean is use these picks in package deals to try to get more 1st-3rd round picks instead of just tons of late round picks we can't even fit on the roster if they are decent like that CB we traded to New England

They do this though. Going back to 2018, they've had 17 picks in the first 3 rounds. They had 10 in the last two drafts. They will play the draft depending on what their scouting says. In this one, they clearly felt that there wasn't a lot of depth to the draft. A lot of other teams felt the same, making it difficult to either trade up or trade out of the round entirely. Eventually they actually will have to use the pick. They took a flyer on Wade to see if he could be the future in the slot (since Tayvon Young probably isn't), and Wade got outclassed by just about every other DB we had, so you try to get some value back. I don't know why you think they didn't try to do X or Y - they're not a stupid organization, they do think about this stuff.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I actually agree that depth doesn't matter that much, it's about having enough starting talent left over after attrition

That's called depth.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No I'm saying that paying some experienced backup LT $5m per year for 'depth' isn't that different than playing some guy on a rookie deal because you are going to have to scheme around the starter getting hurt anyways so who cares. Cap space should go to paying the best players at the most important positions and not making sure you have an experienced backup RB or whatever.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

uh what, the idea was the ravens draft the depth, and also there are like a million positions that rotate where having fresh players is very valuable. nfl rosters are huge and having more good players is Good

also if the ravens had better depth at tackle and RB specifically they would be a much better team lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Cap space should go to paying the best players at the most important positions and not making sure you have an experienced backup RB or whatever.

This is how the Cowboys have been managed for decades now under Jerry Jones. They spend an inordinate amount of cap and draft picks on stars and neglect to build any depth behind those positions, so every year all it takes is a few injuries to completely derail their season.

Your strategy is bad.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This is how the Cowboys have been managed for decades now under Jerry Jones. They spend an inordinate amount of cap and draft picks on stars and neglect to build any depth behind those positions, so every year all it takes is a few injuries to completely derail their season.

Your strategy is bad.

This is the case for every single team. If your key players go down you are screwed. Kurt Warners and Mike Andersons are luck.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

depth is more than just Have A Good Backup. the number of players that play 100% of snaps even when healthy is small and dwindling each year. depth is having good 2nd string players who also play all the time. most if not all front sevens are heavily rotated, as are secondaries and wr corps and rbs.

no ones saying draft 50 backup qbs, these guys all end up playing meaningful minutes even without injuries

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Every time special teams costs a team a game, it's indicative of that team's depth of talent

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

depth is more than just Have A Good Backup. the number of players that play 100% of snaps even when healthy is small and dwindling each year. depth is having good 2nd string players who also play all the time. most if not all front sevens are heavily rotated, as are secondaries and wr corps and rbs.

no ones saying draft 50 backup qbs, these guys all end up playing meaningful minutes even without injuries

I guess this is true but how much difference is there in a 4th-7th round pick than an UDFA generally? Does it vary via position? That's the kind of thing I might be interested in learning more about. It's true that the 2000 Ravens had great depth that could always be rotating and that helped them. But I always just considered that more luck than planned.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kawalimus posted:

I guess this is true but how much difference is there in a 4th-7th round pick than an UDFA generally? Does it vary via position? That's the kind of thing I might be interested in learning more about. It's true that the 2000 Ravens had great depth that could always be rotating and that helped them. But I always just considered that more luck than planned.

Depth can also come from having extra money to allocate to solid but cheap vets. The Texans for years only paid like 5 dudes and the rest of their team was awful. Coincidentally enough, this year they went the opposite route for obvious reasons and they have one of the best rosters when it comes to like players number 21-53. Obviously those top 20 matter A LOT but it's interesting to think about.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Imo mid round picks are loving fantastic to have multiple of every year, but I might just think that because the Bengals tend to hit on 2nd and 4th+ round picks and loving whiff with their first round picks.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

tomlin exploring groin issues teamwide

picksburg got weak groin

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 19, 2021

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The Cincinnati Bengals.... not great!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a long season. you need to have a short memory in this league. gotta take each loss one game a ta time

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I welcome our new las vegian overlords

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I thought the steelers didnt need a qb to be good?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

tomlin was a coward for punting it away down 2 scores with less than a yard to go

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bengals... not terrible!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That's a bad loss for the Bengals that should have been a win for them.

Great turn of events for the Ravens. We'll be 0-2 but no divisional losses and nobody is better than 1-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if the ravens win then that's abad win for them that should have been a loss. basterd