Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

high quality beans are cheaper than the shop down the road

powdered coffee ugh

I admit i'm a coffee pleb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Instant coffee is fine. If you've got a local Asian grocery, there are a ton of varieties out of Japan and Taiwan (and I'm sure other places). It's not as good as fresh-ground, fresh-roasted beans lovingly brewed in a vacuum coffee machine... But it's fine, and also not six dollars a cup.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought an $80 coffee grinder at the start of the pandemic and I thought I was being a little spendy at the time but holy crap has that thing paid for itself a million times over. I buy whole beans at Costco and can dial in whatever type of grind I want depending on if I'm doing a usual pot or a pour-over and everything is fresh and delicious.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've actually been going and getting coffee out more since my county got above 70% vaxxed. It's very BMW but after doing so much work from home in a tiny apartment that 10 minute walk to a place with people in it just feels really nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought an $80 coffee grinder at the start of the pandemic and I thought I was being a little spendy at the time but holy crap has that thing paid for itself a million times over. I buy whole beans at Costco and can dial in whatever type of grind I want depending on if I'm doing a usual pot or a pour-over and everything is fresh and delicious.

A burr grinder and french press can make pretty serviceable coffee out of just about any fresh beans. Highly recommended.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've actually been going and getting coffee out more since my county got above 70% vaxxed. It's very BMW but after doing so much work from home in a tiny apartment that 10 minute walk to a place with people in it just feels really nice.
I feel like too many people call things BWM when the alternative is a nervous breakdown from living a financially optimized ascetic lifestyle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
E: nevermind.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 16, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Couldn’t you just go for a walk? Do you need a treat at th end?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The thing that started this conversation was someone posting in a Reddit thread that they spent too much on coffee. If you like your daily coffee from your local shop and just consider it a reasonable entertainment expense, more power to you; there are certainly many more expensive/less healthy vices.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

Couldn’t you just go for a walk? Do you need a treat at th end?
People often find it harder to motivate themselves to do things without a treat at the end.

That sounds snarky but I'm being sincere, if Volmarias is more likely to actually leave his gooncave specifically to get coffee than to just take a random walk, then it's a good thing overall. (assuming he's not spending $3600 on coffee and his family is dying)

Of course the flip side is having the self awareness to recognize that the amount of money spent on treats should stay reasonable relative to your budget, which a lot of people don't have. The redditor who was spending $400/mo on coffee thinks that's too much for them & is looking for alternatives so I can't be too hard on them either.

e:

coffee redditor posted:

You hit it on the nose. The social interaction is what helps get me going. I live in the suburbs so there isn't a good spot to talk to strangers without it being a trip to do something. That's why I considered the park or hiking. Just need some social interaction. Bonus for coffee is you're a customer so people tend to be kinder. The place I go to allows dogs so they get a chance to say hi to the works and they love getting the morning sniffs on the drive.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 16, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dude and his wife are drinking coffee in the evening, that's BWL no matter how you slice it

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you pay capital gains on credit card cash advance profits?

I have a basically risk free investment opportunity with a friend. I pay half of their mortgage on a rental property and get half of the rent from their roommate. Since the risk is basically 0, I was thinking about just paying it with a cash advance at the end of each month. Does money I use from that to turn profits get capital gains taxes?

Aside from all the other reasons this is a terrible idea, I have a feeling this person doesnt know that interest starts on cash advances the second you withdraw the money, and always (always?) at a higher APR.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BMan posted:

Dude and his wife are drinking coffee in the evening, that's BWL no matter how you slice it

I too have never heard of Europeans

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kw0134 posted:

I feel like too many people call things BWM when the alternative is a nervous breakdown from living a financially optimized ascetic lifestyle.

People call things BWM when the people talking about them say they're spending "too much money" on or they demonstrate that they are spending money they don't have on unnecessary things.

Some people can get 4 coffees a day and it isn't the slightest bit BWM. But those people aren't house poor and barely making ends meet where a couple hundred bucks a month is something they are agonizing over enough to post online about.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

kw0134 posted:

Precisely. The dude is inverse BWM. It’s probably more awkward with money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
BWM is just a morality test. $400/month on coffee? GWM. $400/month on Funkopops? BWM. $400/month on anime larping costumes? SWL.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

$400/month on anime larping costumes? SWL.

Scoring With Lolitas?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Guinness posted:

Scoring With Lolitas?

This isn’t the Epstein thread.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Yo friends I may be bad with money otherwise but as a former barista of 5+ years I will say this: you will never beat a stainless steel French press filled with any loving coffee you want and an electric kettle to boil the water to 97C for total coffee value. Period. Time? Clear winner. Energy used? Blows em all away. Flavor? Fabulous. Comical expulsions of hot grounds and liquid when you over fill it and push the screen down too early? Whenever you need to lighten your day and or scald the gently caress out of yourself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fasdar posted:

Yo friends I may be bad with money otherwise but as a former barista of 5+ years I will say this: you will never beat a stainless steel French press filled with any loving coffee you want and an electric kettle to boil the water to 97C for total coffee value. Period. Time? Clear winner. Energy used? Blows em all away. Flavor? Fabulous. Comical expulsions of hot grounds and liquid when you over fill it and push the screen down too early? Whenever you need to lighten your day and or scald the gently caress out of yourself.

Former barista confirming my trash taste in coffee.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
French press is perfect for someone who thinks getting hot water and coffee grounds everywhere is an essential part of making coffee. That being said, it is easy and gently caress it, it was going to smell like coffee everywhere anyways.

Signed, sadly also a former barista and current tea drinker

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

drk posted:

French press is perfect for someone who thinks getting hot water and coffee grounds everywhere is an essential part of making coffee. That being said, it is easy and gently caress it, it was going to smell like coffee everywhere anyways.

Signed, sadly also a former barista and current tea drinker

I don’t know how you think French press coffee is made but I imagine it’s the wrong way.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Isn't French press bad for you because it leaves in all the delicious coffee oils that wreck you and makes it so delicious? Just a heads up for people who care about their cholesterol levels, maybe use a filter. Easiest way I've found is putting ground coffee in a Mason jar of water and letting it cold brew in the fridge a couple days, then filtering it before drinking.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

moana posted:

Isn't French press bad for you because it leaves in all the delicious coffee oils that wreck you and makes it so delicious? Just a heads up for people who care about their cholesterol levels, maybe use a filter. Easiest way I've found is putting ground coffee in a Mason jar of water and letting it cold brew in the fridge a couple days, then filtering it before drinking.

Unless you have a problem with your cholesterol then you don’t need to worry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

moana posted:

Easier to put the grounds in a bag beforehand, then just pull it out. Look for reusable nut milk bags (sorry)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

And everyone should get tested for cholesterol because you can seem healthy as anything and still have high cholesterol levels.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Easier to put the grounds in a bag beforehand, then just pull it out. Look for reusable nut milk bags (sorry)
Does that filter out all the oils?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

moana posted:

And everyone should get tested for cholesterol because you can seem healthy as anything and still have high cholesterol levels.

I get blood work done every year because I’m so fat but miraculously I have ok cholesterol and am not diabetic or pre-diabetic. My blood pressure is usually OK when they check it too. I just started an intermittent fasting diet because despite all that I am almost the fattest I have ever been and I do not believe it to be healthy and do not want to face the day when they tell me there is a problem other than needing to lose weight.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

moana posted:

I never had heard of this and sure enough it is a thing due to the way the liver processes the oils left in suspension in the French Press or Turkish methods. Thanks for the information.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Ok I get the french press makes good coffee but how do you clean it? Everyone is all “oh it’s so easy” while I’m trying to fish out grounds from the bottom of a long glass cylinder, or knock them off a mesh thing with a million tiny catches, or else I’m putting loads of coffee grounds down my sink which is not good for plumbing. What is the secret? Is there some trick I don’t know about?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Just get a stove top bialetti, drink the whole thing and elevate yourself to a higher state of consciousness.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Switchback posted:

Ok I get the french press makes good coffee but how do you clean it? Everyone is all “oh it’s so easy” while I’m trying to fish out grounds from the bottom of a long glass cylinder, or knock them off a mesh thing with a million tiny catches, or else I’m putting loads of coffee grounds down my sink which is not good for plumbing. What is the secret? Is there some trick I don’t know about?

For the grounds in the press, just add in a little bit of water, swirl it around, and dump it right in the compost bucket, ideally. The tablespoon or less of grounds stuck to the screen aren't a concern for modern plumbing, especially if you have a disposal. Hell I think the only real place you have concerns are older buildings with narrower pipes.

When I worked in shops where we had terrible plumbing we'd use a silicon frosting spatula/spoon thing to remove the grounds into our organic waste before rinsing the remainder.

Also get a stainless steel one. The glass ones are pretty but short lived.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

moana posted:

I've honestly never heard of this, and there's very little oil in brewed coffee. I've tested it for nutritional facts panels several times and there's always essentially zero grams of fat. Food scientist in the coffee industry here.

Also I've worked on several cold brew projects and what I've found works best is: 2 parts water to 1 part coffee by volume, let steep for 20 hours at room temperature, and strain. Grind coffee to 925 microns if you can dial that in.

Switchback posted:

Put a mesh strainer in the sink, add water, swish around, dump in mesh strainer. Compost grounds if you can. The mesh plunger unscrews apart and all of it can go in a dishwasher.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's the cafestol. Espresso ftw

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1816604

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0963996920302325

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Beans, Water, Milk: I admit i'm a coffee pleb

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're drinking seven cups a day then maybe you should switch to decaf

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Not seeing any cold brew live here. I order this packs at a time:

https://www.gradyscoldbrew.com/

1 pack cold brews me a jug that is 3 16oz of coffee , so it gets me 3 days of coffee. All I need right there, I’m not a coffee expert but tastes fine to me.

I also am not a big fan of hot drinks, so in my wheel house preference wise as well.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Not seeing any cold brew live here. I order this packs at a time:

https://www.gradyscoldbrew.com/

1 pack cold brews me a jug that is 3 16oz of coffee , so it gets me 3 days of coffee. All I need right there, I’m not a coffee expert but tastes fine to me.

I also am not a big fan of hot drinks, so in my wheel house preference wise as well.
I use https://www.oxo.com/compact-cold-brew.html with a burr grinder on Costco beans to make my cold brew, and then mix it with oat milk. I mean, to be fair I also sometimes get lazy and just buy Trader Joe's cold brew concentrate.

I'm kinda confused by which pack you're talking about, so I'm having trouble deciding how BWM this product is.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just use a $10 drip machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Just get a stove top bialetti, drink the whole thing and elevate yourself to a higher state of consciousness.

All drip/press coffee just tastes so weak compared to the stuff I make on my stove with one of these. Moka supremacy 4 lyfe