Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is all very :yikes:

https://twitter.com/ComradeChoppy/status/1438463707072315397?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the iconic dril tweet
https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah well we know starmers relation to the police and their relation to the black community.
And the labour rights approach to rolling over to whatever the tabloids say.

So labour is going to be trying it's hardest to make a platform with no sign of the dread critical race theory that's tearing this country apart. They don't want to become the party of white genocide

*the times continue to call them the party of white genocide*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Can someone point out to me why the gently caress this US/UK/AUS defense pact even a thing and why is it even necessary since there’s already NATO and Since everyone knows that Australia and the UK are the left and right Testicles of the American empire so it really goes without saying that they’re already in a military alliance.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
well for one it really pissed off the french that's a plus

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone point out to me why the gently caress this US/UK/AUS defense pact even a thing and why is it even necessary since there’s already NATO and Since everyone knows that Australia and the UK are the left and right Testicles of the American empire so it really goes without saying that they’re already in a military alliance.

I still think it's just because the Brits' feelings were hurt over Afghanistan so they get to feel valued or something. I see you, I hear you, I'll let you pay for my submarines.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Don't worry Australia, I'll save you! *is literally on the opposite side of the planet, armed with a potato peeler*

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gonadic io posted:

well for one it really pissed off the french that's a plus

hmm I wonder why other countries are choosing Chinese goods and money over American stab-you-in-the-backs

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Palladium posted:

hmm I wonder why other countries are choosing Chinese goods and money over American stab-you-in-the-backs

aus had a 90bn contract for non-nuclear subs with the french and they've just told them to gently caress off now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gonadic io posted:

aus had a 90bn contract for non-nuclear subs with the french and they've just told them to gently caress off now

yeah it “legitimises” breach of contact

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Death to britain and its grotesque colonial children

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Death to britain and its grotesque colonial children

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Not actually the Australian's (or the Canadians and every other member of the Commonwealth's) fault that they never successfully threw off the yoke of perfidious Albion. It is funny how blatant it is, it's impossible to argue that Australia is a sovereign nation when poo poo like this happens.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

Not actually the Australian's (or the Canadians and every other member of the Commonwealth's) fault that they never successfully threw off the yoke of perfidious Albion. It is funny how blatant it is, it's impossible to argue that Australia is a sovereign nation when poo poo like this happens.

god this narrative winds me up. this isn't the great game you loving weirdo why do we talk about the most painfully, anguishingly liberal terms for our national histories. perhaps if you'd like some cool lines about the english yolk you could go to the nation which best exemplified your ideals and guy who wrote the declaration of independence and many other glorious treaties on human freedom when he famously said "look, sally, i've freed two of our enslaved children out of five, i think that's fair enough", midrape - no wait poo poo that's what he did rather than said sorry.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm sure the windowless room she was kept in with it's hidden servant entrance gave her some great views on the birth of liberty

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CoolCab posted:

god this narrative winds me up. this isn't the great game you loving weirdo why do we talk about the most painfully, anguishingly liberal terms for our national histories. perhaps if you'd like some cool lines about the english yolk you could go to the nation which best exemplified your ideals and guy who wrote the declaration of independence and many other glorious treaties on human freedom when he famously said "look, sally, i've freed two of our enslaved children out of five, i think that's fair enough", midrape - no wait poo poo that's what he did rather than said sorry.

the founders were trash, the country they left us with holds out the hope that we can be slightly less trash or failing that (as we have) we can all be trash together
british people don't even have that and the people in the commonwealth have even less
death to all monarchs

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

the founders were trash, the country they left us with holds out the hope that we can be slightly less trash or failing that (as we have) we can all be trash together
british people don't even have that and the people in the commonwealth have even less
death to all monarchs

sure it's best not to judge them on the things they did and said, but instead on the liberal narrative of national liberation i'm uncritically regurgitating, obviously. i mean i think we underlook modern examples of that anti-monarchist principle, which is one of the reasons i think the left needs to reevaluate the only nation that shook off the bonds of britian in the past fifty years: it's time we take a nostalgic look back the great nation state of rhodesia.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

was it the perfidious albion bit that set you off? materially, australia is a colony ruled by a monarch of a different nation and it's not liberalism to acknowledge that as far as i can tell

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
...materially? ruled lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
conceptually the idea of someone who thinks the queen of england idk picks up a phone and demands the australian government build a bridge or something is the funniest loving thing have you ever read a book lmao

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf millennials and zoomers in South Korea these days call their country Hell Joseon, I'm sure we can survive calling the UK Perfidious Albion

or we can meet it halfway and call it Hell Albion

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
the Queen said to New Zealand to do a quarantine but then said to all the other countries don’t bother just to punk them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Venomous posted:

tbf millennials and zoomers in South Korea these days call their country Hell Joseon, I'm sure we can survive calling the UK Perfidious Albion

if that generational dynamic exists in Korea as well, does that mean KJU is the world's most successful Millennial?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Well there was that time in 1975 where the Queen intervened to topple an Australian Labour government and that power remains in place, so....

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Venomous posted:

I've been calling it that for awhile now tbh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh i have about a trillion worse things to say about this hellish place, it's just my critiques are formed from a mind and as such have a coherence that is appreciable, you know? i don't think of a set that includes the united states and rhodesia and go "clearly superior", then look at canada and australia and go "you guys need to be more like us"

clearly your problem is that you're too subservient. to the uk and the queen specifically somehow, definitely not to anyone else. after all, australia signed up to that dumb defence pact. who could imagine another country in my examples taking a different tact? clearly their problem is monarchism

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CoolCab posted:

conceptually the idea of someone who thinks the queen of england idk picks up a phone and demands the australian government build a bridge or something is the funniest loving thing have you ever read a book lmao

The technical chain of command is the Americans tell the Brits to order the Governor General to fire the Australian PM.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: stupid post

Venomous has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Sep 16, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Well there was that time in 1975 where the Queen intervened to topple an Australian Labour government and that power remains in place, so....

oh yeah for sure man, that's what happened. the queen herself manifested her entirely ceremonial powers over her governor general and did so in secret in sharp contrast to her private and public insistence that "i don't actually have any power in australia, what are you loving stupid"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

The monarch chose not to intervene during the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis, in which Governor-General Sir John Kerr dismissed the Labor government of Gough Whitlam, on the basis that such a decision is a matter "clearly placed within the jurisdiction of the Governor-General". Through her private secretary, she wrote that she "has no part in the decisions which the Governor-General must take in accordance with the Constitution".[37] In an address to the Sydney Institute, January 2007, in connection with that event, Sir David Smith, a retired official secretary to the governor-general of Australia who had been Kerr's official secretary in 1975, described the constitution as conferring the powers and functions of Australia's head of state on the governor-general in "his own right". He stated that the governor-general was more than a representative of the sovereign, explaining: "under section 2 of the Constitution the Governor-General is the Queen's representative and exercises certain royal prerogative powers and functions; under section 61 of the Constitution the Governor-General is the holder of a quite separate and independent office created, not by the Crown, but by the Constitution, and empowered to exercise, in his own right as Governor-General... all the powers and functions of Australia's head of state."[30]

good lord, y'all

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

So you're buying the machinations of power as explained to you by that same power? seems dumb to me, but i am not a monarchist

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you know that now that the governor general of canada is an inuk woman it's wonderful to know the queen has given canada back to the indigenous people - finally

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do the windsors still have the mandate of heaven

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

So you're buying the machinations of power as explained to you by that same power? seems dumb to me, but i am not a monarchist

ahhhhahahahahahaha

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you go to loving openings of parliament and to cut ribbons and poo poo it's literally a puff job lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Aren't you the one arguing that the monarchy still retains some control over its former colonies?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lostconfused posted:

Aren't you the one arguing that the monarchy still retains some over its former colonies?

they think the queen materially rules Australia, if you're trying to downshift mentally a bit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
france's relationship with her former colonies: no monarchy ergo must be fine. "finance" what's that.

the queen: clearly dominating her post imperial colony state, Australia, rules materially over the sea

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lostconfused posted:

Aren't you the one arguing that the monarchy still retains some control over its former colonies?

yes, correct
if you're a member of the commonwealth you are ruled by the royal family of england, i'm not sure why this is a hard concept
how many australian prime ministers does the queen's representative have to fire for it to be obvious that the queen rules australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Relevant Tangent posted:

yes, correct
if you're a member of the commonwealth you are ruled by the royal family of england, i'm not sure why this is a hard concept

rule
/ruːl/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
all
astrology
law
commerce
verb
past tense: ruled; past participle: ruled

exercise ultimate power or authority over (an area and its people).
"the region today is ruled by elected politicians"