Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The_Doctor posted:

Which is insane, considering it’s an envelope.

I really wish there was a class of goods that was basically lettermail and could benefit from the same low prices and handling that letters do.

Shipping domestically you can kinda get away with shipping something lettermail that isn't actually a letter, but once you ship across a border it's a different story. It does not pay to toe those lines as a business (even ignoring that different countries don't even agree on what size & thickness & weight is technically "lettermail")

Goods properly ship as a parcel, and while light and small parcels tend to be cheaper, international parcels are never really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Blackbirds, an RPG based on the Zweihander ruleset, has launched its kickstarter (already funded). I know the Zweihander guy is not really popular here and is a bit of an rear end on social media (though not, afaik, for any kind of abuse), but the setting looks to be extremely my poo poo, so I backed it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Blackbirds, an RPG based on the Zweihander ruleset, has launched its kickstarter (already funded). I know the Zweihander guy is not really popular here and is a bit of an rear end on social media (though not, afaik, for any kind of abuse), but the setting looks to be extremely my poo poo, so I backed it.

I'm not likely enough to play it to pay $25 for a PDF and literally every stretch goal is only relevant to physical copies, which turns me off a project real fast. Potentially cool setting though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah it's kind of weird that there's not stretch goals for further game content, just physical doodads and bric-a-brac. Also I kind of just hate it when a large enough company (that Zweihander Guy works for as head of one of their divisions) uses a Kickstarter as a collecting ground for pre-orders as opposed to rolling the bones and publishing it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

canepazzo posted:

A guy who personally runs the RPG branch of a very large traditional publishing company doesn’t need your Kickstarter dollars.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Every time I see a post about a new RPG system being launched or kickstarted I wish there was some omnipotent being who could give me actual accurate numbers on how many people will ever actually play these games. I don't know if I'm biased from becoming an old or just have boring rear end friends, but I often suspect the answer is somewhere between "not many" and "gently caress all". Among everyone I know, I could maybe scrape together a D&D or Pathfinder game if I leaned hard on everyone, badgered and cajoled and bribed. There's no loving way I could get anyone I actually know to try to learn anything new, and believe me I've tried. Maybe my suspicions are true and people just like having the shelf candy and reading the fluff, lord knows I've got plenty of RPG books for that reason.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Imagined posted:

Every time I see a post about a new RPG system being launched or kickstarted I wish there was some omnipotent being who could give me actual accurate numbers on how many people will ever actually play these games. I don't know if I'm biased from becoming an old or just have boring rear end friends, but I often suspect the answer is somewhere between "not many" and "gently caress all". Among everyone I know, I could maybe scrape together a D&D or Pathfinder game if I leaned hard on everyone, badgered and cajoled and bribed. There's no loving way I could get anyone I actually know to try to learn anything new, and believe me I've tried. Maybe my suspicions are true and people just like having the shelf candy and reading the fluff, lord knows I've got plenty of RPG books for that reason.

Many, many years ago I played with a group that liked to try out new systems. Those people do exist, but I haven't known any in probably 20 years.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Most people I know will play just about any game someone is willing to run for them, because there are a lot more eager players than eager GMs.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
I've never had a problem getting players for a demo of whatever at the game store, one session of which turned into a regular group. I've played several games with three different regular groups over the last few years, none of which are D&D or Pathfinder. Part of that is being willing to play online, part of it is firmly declining to play or run D&D or Pathfinder.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

armorer posted:

Many, many years ago I played with a group that liked to try out new systems. Those people do exist, but I haven't known any in probably 20 years.

My group has grown used to me throwing weird systems at them. I run relatively short campaigns (usually around 6-8 months 1x a week) and we've played all kinds of stuff.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you liked One Deck Dungeon (a little solo/2 player co-op dice placement game), One Deck Galaxy is now up on Kickstarter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I see that Shadow of the Bat game is releasing retail as well as KS-----I was interested in the Gotham Under Siege game, how does this new version differ? It seems like it doesn't use buildings/city blocks anymore and instead smaller maps, have early previews/playthrus been more positive about this new one over the older one?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The old adventure game Shadowgate, last seen remade in 2014, is getting a board game. The graphic design is, uh.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

gschmidl posted:

The old adventure game Shadowgate, last seen remade in 2014, is getting a board game. The graphic design is, uh.

The 8-bit replacement cards are pretty good (at least as someone who played the video game way back when), wish they had done the whole game like that from the start

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

StarkRavingMad posted:

The 8-bit replacement cards are pretty good (at least as someone who played the video game way back when), wish they had done the whole game like that from the start

Shame about the Diablo knock-off font that's still on the items though

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you liked One Deck Dungeon (a little solo/2 player co-op dice placement game), One Deck Galaxy is now up on Kickstarter.

One deck dungeon has a serviceable digital version. I’ve played the meatspace 2nd edition/standalone expansion a couple times and had a lot of fun. Worth $25 for more of the same, but in space.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

fischtick posted:

One deck dungeon has a serviceable digital version. I’ve played the meatspace 2nd edition/standalone expansion a couple times and had a lot of fun. Worth $25 for more of the same, but in space.

the app really won me over. sold my copy of the game because I feel like it does such a good job.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Does the app have pass-and-play?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I've only ever played it solo on either, but it's a co-op and I'm pretty sure there's zero hidden information, so I'm not sure there's any pass-and-play elements needed.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Hey there, got a Kickstarter launched today. It's a fanzine for 90's Sci-fi-horror "Glasgow in Space" RPG, SLA Industries. I did the arts!

This is the second SLA Industries zine curated by Tanya (the first, Time&Tide was ran as a zinequest a few years ago).

This one is Ebb & Flow- a collection of SLA Industries fan-submissions.

If you're interested in SLA Industries, if any of the articles seem interesting to you, or if you just want some nice die cut stickers then check it out below!

That's also a limited add-on where I'll do you a headshot of your character, if you want something unique.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/floaker/ebb-and-flow

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 17, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

gschmidl posted:

It's like they took all the bits of art they like from different games without knowing why it works as a whole.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Exquisite Corpse just hit the final 48 hours! We were lucky enough to reach our funding goals last week, so we're just shooting for bonus pay and more writers now. There's a preview demo you can try out in there too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gkomisar/the-exquisite-corpse-in-maggots-keep

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chai Tea for Two said they'd have their pledge manager up by the 14th, and it's still not up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strider88/chai-tea-for-2a-tea-board-game-duel/posts/3299324

Game is looking great, but my gut is saying not to upgrade my $1 pledge.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Doctor Zero posted:

It's like they took all the bits of art they like from different games without knowing why it works as a whole.

I got a peek at it and I admit I'll never stop being baffled at games where you take an isolated single-player experience and just turn into four players speedrunning against each other.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Imagined posted:

It depends on the group, but I've run about 75 percent of the RPGs I have. I started as the GM for the group and many of the players hadn't played much before or also enjoyed trying new systems. We do a lot of Apocalypse World based stuff and Forged in the Dark because it is so easy to pick up and play.

But we've done Call of Cthulhu, Gumshoe, Delta Green, and Eclipse Phase. Along with indie stuff like 10 Candles and Fiasco. So I wouldn't say all those systems are just shelf decorations; people really do play those non big two games. The closest thing to D&D I run is 13th Age; it's more my style.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Imagined posted:

Each RPG I consume only makes me more powerful.
Soon I will transcend my earthly form to become a being of pure thought containing the knowledge of all RPG game mechanics and setting information ever created by humanity.
And I will use this knowledge to run a mediocre campaign of 10th edition D&D as it is the only RPG that is legal to run in our post-cyberpocolyptic future.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

I will keep buying indie RPGs that catch my eye and keep making up characters for them. However I am doomed to never play them because the only game that has withstood the test of time in my area is Yu-Gi-Oh. I truly wish something else had a player base here. Two different rpg shops here with play tables, one of which has a table for Warhammer, but everybody just wants to play loving Yu-Gi-Oh.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bumper Stickup posted:

I will keep buying indie RPGs that catch my eye and keep making up characters for them. However I am doomed to never play them because the only game that has withstood the test of time in my area is Yu-Gi-Oh. I truly wish something else had a player base here. Two different rpg shops here with play tables, one of which has a table for Warhammer, but everybody just wants to play loving Yu-Gi-Oh.

Have you considered running a YGO game? I made one one (poorly) using BESM as a base, like 20 loving years ago, with point-based deckbuilding rules that forced me to individually point every card in such a way that it would encourage building decks that looked something like the ones in the show. And for good measure, every player got to ask for one custom completely unique card that represented them. One player made a penguins & turtles deck with Penguinzilla as the unique.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

SO happy I backed this.

A-yo what??? When did this happen! I love resistance

Infinitum posted:

There isn't a retail release planned for this one, so super glad I've backed it.

:smithicide:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If it helps soften the blow a bit, I believe Quest is being released separately - just Avalon, with the pretty pretty new artwork in a Big Box, is a Kickstarter exclusive.

Speaking of pretty things in pretty boxes, Radlands should theoretically be arriving within 2 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sw9rMRDpYk

Not that I can play it with anyone :sigh:

I was incredibly impressed with the quality and price on Steampunk Rally Atomic Edition, so this was an easy back for me from Roxley Games. Steampunk is a lot of fun if you like drafting and engine building.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've missed why this happened - why are all the miniature kickstarters now seeming to do 32mm figures? Why did this change?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Comstar posted:

I've missed why this happened - why are all the miniature kickstarters now seeming to do 32mm figures? Why did this change?

The whole industry seems to have scale crept a bit. I think it's partly due to the switch to digital. Traditional sculptors often charged by the mm, but when you're making a 3D model a slightly taller mini doesn't necessarily mean more work on the sculptor's part.

Also most of these minis are pre-assembled PVC rather than the traditional, sharper metal/resin/HIPS. Since the details are softer increasing the size helps them come out more clearly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Imagined posted:

I've been doing this with my coworkers, one of which is pretty into that sort of thing anyways, and another is too, but the other 3 candidates who actually intersect liking me enough to spend 7 hours collectively board gaming on the weekend (some have to drive an hour) are low, that I have to be the one doing the organization, I have to initiate when the next date of get together is, I have to see who's on board.

If I was to stop asking, even though they all have fun and we have lunch and all that, I am pretty certain it would die off. I do have the most board games of the group, but, why is it always me that has to organize this stuff? Why does no one else step up to the plate? I did this back in college too, I was the one who had to remind the roommates to pay the rent, I was the one that wrote out the singular check to the landlord, and so on. I love playing but that's exhausting to have to keep doing.

I've been looking at a few places and talking to some people and they're all so unhelpful. Literally zero of them offered to help in any way, even just a "I know a guy who knows a guy, maybe talk to him" would work, pretty much all of them were like "that sounds difficult, well good luck with that!"

I also want to play esoteric D&D games but I'm thinking I should start coming to terms that if I want to do that, I'm going to have to do all the legwork myself and probably even learn to be a GM, because while there seems to be people who are tepidly interested, no one's willing to put forth the effort unless someone else does it. Unfortunately that sounds more like "how do I get hired, with experience? I get experience if I get hired? so how do I get hired? with experience? how do I get experience? I have to get hired first?" I guess I can try to summon up the memory of some WOTC guy or Paizo guy from conventions I was at 5 years ago and try to remember how they did it, when I can barely remember what I did sunday.

On more on-topic questions, I'm looking around on Gamefound because I am hemming and hawwing about upgrading to all the goodies for the Witcher Game before I close my pledge and saw these ones, anyone got any strong opinions about these:

https://gamefound.com/projects/ezra-hirschi/exo-worlds#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/section/project-story
https://gamefound.com/projects/2tomatoes/peak-oil-profiteer#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/dmz-games/adele---a-space-horror-board-game#/ (this seems really interesting to me)
https://gamefound.com/projects/side-room-games/mechanical-beast#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/mantic-games/hellboy-the-board-game-expansions-and-dice-game#/section/project-overview (GF likes hellboy, I like minis, seems like a possible win?)
https://gamefound.com/projects/galakta/the-shadow-planet-the-board-game#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/3dartlab/space-kraken#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/monster-fight-club/cyberpunk-red-combat-zone#/ (cyberpunk and minis? :hmmyes: )
https://gamefound.com/projects/ionsmg/stationfall#/ (looks like the same art as that game Breathedge)
https://gamefound.com/projects/ionsmg/dawn-on-titan#/ (sucker for space games...)
https://gamefound.com/projects/breegs/wizards--relics#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/move-rate-20-games/mission-to-planet-hexx-20---kickstarter-edition#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/hall-or-nothing-productions-ltd/veilwraith-a-solo-fantasy-quest-game#/section/project-overview (solo game? that sounds intriguing )
https://gamefound.com/projects/adams-apple-games/planet-unknown#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/skyport-games/ark-awakening#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/dead-alive-games/omicron-protocol#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/contention-games/imperium#/section/project-overview

On another note: lots more games are doing "solo" modes but they all kind of seem hacked in, or you have one person playing two players which is hard, since you're having to emulate an AI

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 21, 2021

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been doing this with my coworkers, one of which is pretty into that sort of thing anyways, and another is too, but the other 3 candidates who actually intersect liking me enough to spend 7 hours collectively board gaming on the weekend (some have to drive an hour) are low, that I have to be the one doing the organization, I have to initiate when the next date of get together is, I have to see who's on board.

If I was to stop asking, even though they all have fun and we have lunch and all that, I am pretty certain it would die off. I do have the most board games of the group, but, why is it always me that has to organize this stuff? Why does no one else step up to the plate? I did this back in college too, I was the one who had to remind the roommates to pay the rent, I was the one that wrote out the singular check to the landlord, and so on. I love playing but that's exhausting to have to keep doing.

I've been looking at a few places and talking to some people and they're all so unhelpful. Literally zero of them offered to help in any way, even just a "I know a guy who knows a guy, maybe talk to him" would work, pretty much all of them were like "that sounds difficult, well good luck with that!"

I also want to play esoteric D&D games but I'm thinking I should start coming to terms that if I want to do that, I'm going to have to do all the legwork myself and probably even learn to be a GM, because while there seems to be people who are tepidly interested, no one's willing to put forth the effort unless someone else does it. Unfortunately that sounds more like "how do I get hired, with experience? I get experience if I get hired? so how do I get hired? with experience? how do I get experience? I have to get hired first?" I guess I can try to summon up the memory of some WOTC guy or Paizo guy from conventions I was at 5 years ago and try to remember how they did it, when I can barely remember what I did sunday.

On more on-topic questions, I'm looking around on Gamefound because I am hemming and hawwing about upgrading to all the goodies for the Witcher Game before I close my pledge and saw these ones, anyone got any strong opinions about these:

https://gamefound.com/projects/ezra-hirschi/exo-worlds#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/section/project-story
https://gamefound.com/projects/2tomatoes/peak-oil-profiteer#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/dmz-games/adele---a-space-horror-board-game#/ (this seems really interesting to me)
https://gamefound.com/projects/side-room-games/mechanical-beast#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/mantic-games/hellboy-the-board-game-expansions-and-dice-game#/section/project-overview (GF likes hellboy, I like minis, seems like a possible win?)
https://gamefound.com/projects/galakta/the-shadow-planet-the-board-game#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/3dartlab/space-kraken#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/monster-fight-club/cyberpunk-red-combat-zone#/ (cyberpunk and minis? :hmmyes: )
https://gamefound.com/projects/ionsmg/stationfall#/ (looks like the same art as that game Breathedge)
https://gamefound.com/projects/ionsmg/dawn-on-titan#/ (sucker for space games...)
https://gamefound.com/projects/breegs/wizards--relics#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/move-rate-20-games/mission-to-planet-hexx-20---kickstarter-edition#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/hall-or-nothing-productions-ltd/veilwraith-a-solo-fantasy-quest-game#/section/project-overview (solo game? that sounds intriguing )
https://gamefound.com/projects/adams-apple-games/planet-unknown#/section/project-overview
https://gamefound.com/projects/skyport-games/ark-awakening#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/dead-alive-games/omicron-protocol#/
https://gamefound.com/projects/contention-games/imperium#/section/project-overview

On another note: lots more games are doing "solo" modes but they all kind of seem hacked in, or you have one person playing two players which is hard, since you're having to emulate an AI

I did ISS Vanguard because its straight from Awaken Realms, and they've had a decent track record with their previous games.

I was going to do Hellboy but I already have too many mini games, but otherwise was interesting.

A lot of these other ones were too close to existing games or too sparse in info for me to form an opinion.

Cyberpunk was just a very haphazard "combat" wargaming type game and it was too meh for me to go in for that.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I've gone all in on Hellboy and it's been cool so far; needs a better way of tracking enemy damage but otherwise fun (and the minis are definitely cool).

Does Gamefound really not have a remind me button?

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
I, too, have been having a ton of fun with Hellboy. My partner and I have been painting our frogs up after an inspiring trip to the zoo.

And spot on with the damage tracking. They even know it's bad enough to use a different system for the final encounters. I think I'm going to try tracking damage with dice next time.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Gamefound has a follow button. I think that's better/worse than remind me, because you get emails whenever updates are posted, but also, you get an email whenever updates are posted.

I'm all in (except for the minis addon) on ISS Vanguard. It's mechanically very distinct from Tainted Grail or Etherfields (and those games are quite distinct as well) but IMO Awaken Realms pretty much knocked both those games out of the park and ISS Vanguard is the next game of that sort from them. Very excited about it. (I mean, neither TG nor Etherfields is perfect or universally recommendable, but they're some of the best boardgaming I've ever had nonetheless, just about laser targeted at what I like in games.)

I've heard some good things about Veilwraith but I'm gonna stick with my two Kilforth games and maybe circle back to Veilwraith if I find I really love Kilforth. Don't really have any opinions about the rest. have seen some love for Hellboy but it doesn't look like it would do enough for me personally to pay those prices or deal with that amount of minis.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Moon Monster posted:

The whole industry seems to have scale crept a bit. I think it's partly due to the switch to digital. Traditional sculptors often charged by the mm, but when you're making a 3D model a slightly taller mini doesn't necessarily mean more work on the sculptor's part.

Also most of these minis are pre-assembled PVC rather than the traditional, sharper metal/resin/HIPS. Since the details are softer increasing the size helps them come out more clearly.

In addition 32mm scale is easier to paint, and shows detail better. It's also the scale of 40k and AoS, and most tabletop war-games. I wish D&D would make the switch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

In addition 32mm scale is easier to paint, and shows detail better. It's also the scale of 40k and AoS, and most tabletop war-games. I wish D&D would make the switch.

D&D has incredible institutional inertia around a human sized figure being a 1-inch base, unless 32mm also allows for that I'd be extremely surprised if it ever changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think it's fine leaning into being That Guy, and by doing that myself I was able to expand the player group I'm comfortable inviting into my house by three or fourfold via friend of friend connections.

Used to get lovely about always having to be the one that organised everything as well, but it's important to learn that people have different priorities for themselves and that may not line up with wanting to play board games or pen and paper RPGs all the time. Learning to be the Host is a skill I've developed, and I legitimately enjoy making sure whatever player group I invite for the day has a set of games that match their expectations and skill levels. Making my peace with my "gently caress YOU WHY AREN'T YOU DOING ANYTHING TO HELP OUT OR ORGANISE THIS! WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER!" mentality took some time, but I set ground rules for my players and they chip in for whatever food I buy or cook.

You can flip the script a bit as well, and you do the organising and just have someone else host? Not sure if this advice is helpful for you or not :v:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't think there's an easy solution for this one. I sorta lucked into being able to join an RPG group, which looks like it will be an ongoing thing next year, but it was purely luck.

I've attempted to jumpstart my tabletop RPG experience a couple of times, and it's always run out of steam after a few sessions.
Try a goon online group? Was how I got into Mafia/Werewolf.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

(sucker for space games...)

I thought this was very neat, but I am likely to grab the 2019 version Castles of Burgundy over it
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drandagames/solar-sphere-harness-the-power-of-the-stars

I like the concept of dice rolls for activations and the fact that bad rolls can still be beneficial.