Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Glass of Milk posted:

California Politics: The Elder Scrolls: Larryfall

i was informed the thread urgently needed mod action and it was not incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why don’t you leave a bag of poop at the front door, light it on fire, ring the doorbell and then run away like a normal person?

I dunno, bog-standard practical jokes just don't mean anything anymore in the face of things like "burning 300 mil on a pointless recall attempt" or "cheating a reality TV show host into the presidency out of nothing more than petty spite"

It'd be more effective to just set the building itself on fire and run away

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

California Politics: The Elder Scrolls: Larryfall

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:ca: Thank you for your service.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Biased reporting or not, you decide.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:patriot::ca::patriot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Canasta_Nasty posted:

It gets even starker when you compare the campaign spending. Jenner had about 200x my budget. My main expense was actually the $4,200 filing fee and then I had a bit left over for a few radio ads.

I'll have some more to say on the results and am working on a statement summing it all up, but there's a couple main points.

1) California voters were horrified by the ultra-right politics of Elder, which I think was a decisive factor in swinging what was a tossup in August to a blowout in September
2) The Democrats' pulled out all the stops to line up behind Newsom and they were backed by the DSA, PSL and a host of other pseudo-left organizations. It was quite striking to have ads from Sanders, AOC, Obama, and visits from the president and vice-president. They centered their campaign on a fundamental lie that Newsom was following the science and that they would end the pandemic. The Biden and Newsom administrations' vaccine only focus will not eliminate transmission but only ensure that COVID becomes endemic with deadly breakouts, probably for generations to come.
3) The exit polls showed 17% of voters wanted stricter anti-COVID measures. As far as I can tell, I was the only candidate campaigning on that basis. I expect that number to continue to grow as school outbreaks continue and the pandemic persists into next year's election.
4) There's a lot of technical things I've learned about running a more effective campaign, and I'll keep an eye on the situation going to next elections for a possible statewide or local office, but the real question over the coming year is going to be organizing and generalizing the on-the-ground opposition among workers who have been kept on the job in unsafe conditions while their bosses are making enormous profits.

Thanks to all of you who supported my run. None of the crises confronting CA have been resolved. I hope you'll keep up the fight.

Thanks for running

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1438634162890559490?s=21

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's going to 1) piss off a ton of people and 2) cause a ton of new units to get built

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:sickos:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's also grossly misleading. We did not just eliminate single-family housing. From the CA Senate: "At the end of the day, if local governments do not allow people to build homes in an area, then the bill does not apply." So it's a step in the right direction, but it is not such a radical change.

Looking at SB10, yeah it's just streamlining upzoning for transit-rich areas. But again, the locality has to adopt a resolution to take up the plan. It's not forcing anything on anyone.

E: ah, just saw that I missed the word “zoning” in the tweet.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 17, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the bill basically says that if you zone for residential, you cannot restrict lots to SFH's. But local government could in theory get around it by just not zoning for residential at all.

Also :lol: at Newsom letting it sit on his desk until the second he survives the recall, then signing it. Realpolitik at its finest, gotta respect the hustle.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah palo alto is simply going to continue aggressively banning anything new being built within sight of caltrain

though it is good that it reins in CEQA opposition to infill projects, that's not nothing. never forget that the assholes in atherton were using it to fight against caltrain's electrification

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Marin surprisingly has a ton getting built near the SMART. There is a ton of new townhomes and apartments being planned or already under construction by the stops. If only this drat train connected somewhere, I wish they could just run it down the 101 to San Francisco. It would be so much better than driving to the city

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 17, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

just run it down the 101 to the San Francisco.

You must be new to the area, its The San Fran.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Hell yeah build more poo poo on land that will inevitably not have reliable access to water by 2030 and not address that problem at all. Empty luxury units probably don’t consume that much water, so maybe it’s no big deal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

loving love Newsom doing something cool two days after the goddamn election lol.

krysmopompas posted:

Hell yeah build more poo poo on land that will inevitably not have reliable access to water by 2030 and not address that problem at all. Empty luxury units probably don’t consume that much water, so maybe it’s no big deal.

There's plenty of water in California, it's just grossly misallocated.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Kenning posted:

loving love Newsom doing something cool two days after the goddamn election lol.

There's plenty of water in California, it's just grossly misallocated.

gently caress you, MOAR ALMONDS!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Also :lol: at Newsom letting it sit on his desk until the second he survives the recall, then signing it. Realpolitik at its finest, gotta respect the hustle.

I'd honestly rather he chicken out until the heat's off him, then do good poo poo, than just go back to being a spineless coward afterwards and keep enforcing the status quo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^^^ I agree, I'm not saying it's a bad thing he signed it at all, and I'm glad he did. It's just funny because it's more of Newsom's completely blatant politicking.

Yeah we've been over this to death itt, even knowing California is going to continue to get a lot more dry going forward there's plenty of water to go around but:

1. The state's archaic water laws that allow for farmers to extract more water than an entire metro area uses for functionally nothing need to be modernized.
2. There needs to be a major reduction in water intensive cash crops. Almonds get a lot of the flak and we should definitely pull back somewhat on them but California is actually one of the few ideal places in the world to grow them. poo poo like alfalfa and rice has no business being grown here though.
3. Kick Nestle out of the loving state. Seriously those motherfuckers drain almost a billion gallons of water a year at almost no cost to shove into bottles and sell back to us as Arrowhead "spring water". That we're still putting up with these shitheads and their 150+ year old claim to our water is patently absurd.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 17, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I'm sure California has a plan for the water problems, just like there's a plan for dealing the towns that will be incinerated by wildfires every year, and how to house and help those people.

Not like we can just ignore all these problems and hope they go away, right?

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Sydin posted:

e. ^^^ I agree, I'm not saying it's a bad thing he signed it at all, and I'm glad he did. It's just funny because it's more of Newsom's completely blatant politicking.

Yeah we've been over this to death itt, even knowing California is going to continue to get a lot more dry going forward there's plenty of water to go around but:

1. The state's archaic water laws that allow for farmers to extract more water than an entire metro area uses for functionally nothing need to be modernized.
2. There needs to be a major reduction in water intensive cash crops. Almonds get a lot of the flak and we should definitely pull back somewhat on them but California is actually one of the few ideal places in the world to grow them. poo poo like alfalfa and rice has no business being grown here though.
3. Kick Nestle out of the loving state. Seriously those motherfuckers drain almost a billion gallons of water a year at almost no cost to shove into bottles and sell back to us as Arrowhead "spring water". That we're still putting up with these shitheads and their 150+ year old claim to our water is patently absurd.

3b) Imprison the Resnicks and seize their holdings

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

krysmopompas posted:

denser housing (aka duplexes) is far more water efficient than single family detached housing, but please, don’t let that in the way of your masturbatory “heh, you plebs think better things are possible :smug:” fest

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Fill Baptismal posted:

denser housing (aka duplexes) is far more water efficient than single family detached housing, but please, don’t let that in the way of your masturbatory “heh, you plebs think better things are possible :smug:” fest
So far they aren’t possible, maybe extend the eviction moratorium if you want faint praise for doing the absolute bare minimum to ease human suffering.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sydin posted:

This is already happening, it's just that it's taking a while to come into effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Groundwater_Management_Act
(I always read the acronym for that as "smegma" every time)

Afaik deadlines to establish local GSAs and draft a sustainability plan have only been around recently, though I don't quite recall the timeline on all the various features. If regions don't establish a GSA with a sustainability plan I believe the state steps in (kind of like when the state steps in to manage a school or school district) and manages it for them.

Oh wait the wiki has the deadlines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Groundwater_Management_Act#Implementation_deadlines

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 17, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

krysmopompas posted:

So far they aren’t possible, maybe extend the eviction moratorium if you want faint praise for doing the absolute bare minimum to ease human suffering.
Do you just shift the goalposts into the bay when people call you out for fun, or are you really this broken and angry?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Awww, we missed out on the fundie RW dipshits screaming "CRIME RIDDEN PROJECTS WILL BE BUILT NEAR MY FAMILY HOME!" ads.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Keyser_Soze posted:

Awww, we missed out on the fundie RW dipshits screaming "CRIME RIDDEN PROJECTS WILL BE BUILT NEAR MY FAMILY HOME!" ads.

Too late for statewide campaigns, but you know every mayoral election will have this for the next ten years or so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
CRIME GROWS WHERE TRANSIT FLOWS

CONGRESS CREATED GHETTO

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

FilthyImp posted:

Do you just shift the goalposts into the bay when people call you out for fun, or are you really this broken and angry?
We’re about to get megafucked by climate change and no action is being taken, the unhoused population is increasing every day and the solution is incarceration, and the pandemic is never going to end because we have nothing resembling competent public health policy.

If you’re cheering on more housing for the rich under these conditions, you’re the broken one.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Allowing multi-unit housing helps to address cost, houseless populations, and climate change!

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah palo alto is simply going to continue aggressively banning anything new being built within sight of caltrain

though it is good that it reins in CEQA opposition to infill projects, that's not nothing. never forget that the assholes in atherton were using it to fight against caltrain's electrification
for fun I watched a housing town hall for a smaller bay area city, I was pleasantly surprised the city was pushing a development plan to zone/build new housing. some homeowners had "concerns" around "livability" but there were about as many commenters talking about housing affordability and equity

the city framed the plan as a response to state guidelines calling for a specific amount of added housing to meet estimated population growth. not sure how accurate that is, but it was encouraging to see the state providing cover to a receptive city council

of course, the development plan left SFH neighborhoods alone and concentrated the added density in the downtown and industrial areas. that's where transit and jobs are located so there's some logic to it, but I'm sure the main reason to appease the NIMBYs

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

AngryBooch posted:

Allowing multi-unit housing helps to address cost, houseless populations, and climate change!
Last I checked, these bills don’t mandate any portion of what is built to be free, and nobody builds housing with the expectation that prices will drop significantly.

Addressing climate change requires infrastructure, regulation and planning, which are also absent from the liberal agenda beyond meager tokens.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

Last I checked, these bills don’t mandate any portion of what is built to be free, and nobody builds housing with the expectation that prices will drop significantly.

Addressing climate change requires infrastructure, regulation and planning, which are also absent from the liberal agenda beyond meager tokens.

drat, single family zoning solves all of these. You're right.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

But…you can’t build dense affordable housing if an area is zoned exclusively for SFH?

I don’t understand why this makes people mad other than they are real afraid an apartment might get built in an otherwise lilly-white neighborhood.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gavbot just signed another awesome bill. When it comes into effect, you won't be able to put the "chasing arrows" recyclable triangle on your plastic unless it's regularly recycled in California. No more triangle-7, which looks like recyclable, but actually means "Nobody anyplace recycles this." In practice, most places can only cycle 1 and 2.

Needless to say, the packaging industry is unhappy.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

AngryBooch posted:

No, but moderately wealthy liberals should be denied as many nice things as possible until they capitulate on something that benefits the most exploited.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

krysmopompas posted:

No, but moderately wealthy liberals should be denied as many nice things as possible until they capitulate on something that benefits the most exploited.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

You post like a cop trying to sound like a leftist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AngryBooch posted:

You post like a cop trying to sound like a leftist.

Sometimes I suspect the real split in politics is as much about whether you want government to help people or punish your perceived enemies as it is whether you're on the left or the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Have you all heard about horseshoe theo- *I collapse as someone rightfully hurls a brick at my head*

In election news, the turnout looks sort of miserable. It's going to tick up over the next couple weeks as votes trickle in, but it seems like a lot of people just didn't bother. Current count on the SOS website has it at 43.6%, which is the lowest since the 2014 gubernatorial race. Part of that might be that registration is up, so you have a lot of people who got auto-registered but didn't let that break their not-voting streak, but it seems like the special election didn't generate as much interest as one might have expected. Obviously there are a million factors at play, but at the very least mailing everyone ballots doesn't seem to work as a magic bullet for increasing interest in actually filling those ballots out.