Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there the equivalent of “buy a ninja 250” for in-town commuting scooters? Asking for a friend who gave me precious little requirements other than it should be reliable and also “affordable”, which I took to mean “not a vespa”. And I guess they’re looking for ICE and not electric because they’ve got a parking spot with no electricity nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brembo has enough cash to afford a better marketing department than they have, holy poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Is there the equivalent of “buy a ninja 250” for in-town commuting scooters? Asking for a friend who gave me precious little requirements other than it should be reliable and also “affordable”, which I took to mean “not a vespa”. And I guess they’re looking for ICE and not electric because they’ve got a parking spot with no electricity nearby.

Yamaha Zuma.

Honda Ruckus or Metropolitan.

Honda Elite.

Yamaha Jog.

All can be had used for whatever “cheap” means in this market

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am pushing for a Honda Elite for the Star Trek Shuttlecraft look.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The NIU electric scooters have removable Li-ion batteries, so power at the parking spot isn't a requirement. Up-front cost might be more than an equivalent ICE but they should be cheaper/easier to own/maintain.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Quite literally the difference between a bike made to be ridden and a bike made to get polished in a boomer's driveway. See also the hopeless solid disc wheels, baffling tyre sizes, zero ground clearance.

The Fat Boy is quite pretty, but yeah, wasn't good at braking at all.

Slavvy posted:

I have the feeling that in Hindi, bybre is some sort of clever play on words that doesn't work in English but got no way of confirming.

"Bybre" does not mean anything in Hindi.
"Babur" is a name in Hindi/Urdu.
"Abey!" in Hindi/Urdu is similar to "oi", as in "oi you!".

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
An acquaintance of mine is interested in a 2005 Monster S4r, and apparently that bike needs a valve check every 10k kms, and new belts every 20k or 2 years. I'm just baffled, I know modern Ducatis need less maintanance than that but even in 2005 that can't have been a very attractive proposition, the bike isn't even that powerful. In fact it's about as powerful as a VTR1000, which needs a valve check every 24k kms and doesn't have timing belts.
It was insane to me that the 690 needed a valve check every 10k kms, but that's a very high performance engine and those are easy to check.

Anyway instead of a 16 year old Monster I've recommended they buy a 2019 SV650 for the same price, they're just starting out riding so it's a better choice in every way.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That is an impressively stupid first bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

An acquaintance of mine is interested in a 2005 Monster S4r, and apparently that bike needs a valve check every 10k kms, and new belts every 20k or 2 years. I'm just baffled, I know modern Ducatis need less maintanance than that but even in 2005 that can't have been a very attractive proposition, the bike isn't even that powerful. In fact it's about as powerful as a VTR1000, which needs a valve check every 24k kms and doesn't have timing belts.
It was insane to me that the 690 needed a valve check every 10k kms, but that's a very high performance engine and those are easy to check.

Anyway instead of a 16 year old Monster I've recommended they buy a 2019 SV650 for the same price, they're just starting out riding so it's a better choice in every way.

Nod, nod, nod nod-haha what the gently caress

Fwiw the s4r engine when it's in the fully faired models has quite a bit more than a vtr1000, with a better spread in a lighter smaller package. But yeah, that's one of the reasons the air cooled monsters are better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

New rider aside, comparing an S4R and a Sv650 is like the '"mom I want ___" "we have ___ at home" meme.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Get the 650 so when they inevitably bin it into a wall they aren't wrecking a perfectly good Ducati.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

Get the 650 so when they inevitably bin it into a wall they aren't wrecking a perfectly good Ducati.

With just starting out I meant they've got a license and that actually means something here, an SV will do them well. All that matters is a pretty frame and a round headlight.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

High Protein posted:

With just starting out I meant they've got a license and that actually means something here, an SV will do them well. All that matters is a pretty frame and a round headlight.

Where's here?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

Where's here?

Netherlands.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Chiming in from the netherlands - lemme first tell something about our license system.

TL; DR: Stuff is just REALLY strict here and if you are 24 and can't handle a fast bike, you won't get a license.

We have 3 license classes: A1 with 11kw (>=18 years of age), A2 with 35kw (for >=20 years of age), and A with full power.

The full power license you can get in 2 ways: you do your exam when you're 24 years or older, or you first get your A1, then your A2, and then you can do your A (full) at the age of 21 years old.

Now, previously, the full power lessons (20-40 hours of training, times €60 per hour) were given on the 500cc class of bike which is quite sensible. However, with the introduction of the A2 class of bikes, most 500cc bikes are now downtuned to deliver exactly 35kw of power. Problem: you cannot do full power exams on a A2 class bike - you need a A-class bike.

This means that today, all riding school bikes for the full power category, are already SV650 and ER6s. Occasionally you'll see some ancient ER5 or CB(f)500 which just about meets the criterium for 'full power' but those have almost all been taken out of service because of old age.

The lessons themselves involve a lot of on-road time. If you don't use the power you have once in a while, you'll be encouraged by your teacher to send it on occasion. If you park it in corners and only gently accelerate out of them, you'll most definitely get a talking to. If you are 'afraid' of the bike on the exam, you fail. The whole counter leaning thing from F9's latest video, is very much used on the special handling parcours part of the lessons.
In general, it'll take 2 or 3 months, before you are ready and/or allowed to do the exam (which is conducted by the department of motor vehicles, not by a for-profit organisation)

So while i don't disagree that starting on a low powered bike is a good idea and can potentially help a lot to become a better biker quicker, it's also not as if you're taking a plunge in the deep, if you buy an SV650 right after you graduate riding school, because after all, you're encouraged to actually handle a 4 second 0-100km/h bike in a safe way in those lessons.
40 hours of being chased by an instructor screaming into your ear via the radio doesn't even get you close to being fully able to exploit everything a high power bike can do, but it does give you the tools to need to become a good rider - without killing yourself in the process.

Despite lots of 24 year olds riding high powered bikes, we are the 3rd safest country for bikers in the EU, and have about 80% fewer biker fatalities than the USA has, when measured in fatalities per 100.000 bikes registered.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 17, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

Fun fact there is no 2005 Monster that is perfectly good, even from the factory, so wad them up at will, I guess

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Chiming in from the netherlands - lemme first tell something about our license system.

TL; DR: Stuff is just REALLY strict here and if you are 24 and can't handle a fast bike, you won't get a license.

We have 3 license classes: A1 with 11kw (>=18 years of age), A2 with 35kw (for >=20 years of age), and A with full power.

The full power license you can get in 2 ways: you do your exam when you're 24 years or older, or you first get your A1, then your A2, and then you can do your A (full) at the age of 21 years old.

Now, previously, the full power lessons (20-40 hours of training, times €60 per hour) were given on the 500cc class of bike which is quite sensible. However, with the introduction of the A2 class of bikes, most 500cc bikes are now downtuned to deliver exactly 35kw of power. Problem: you cannot do full power exams on a A2 class bike - you need a A-class bike.

This means that today, all riding school bikes for the full power category, are already SV650 and ER6s. Occasionally you'll see some ancient ER5 or CB(f)500 which just about meets the criterium for 'full power' but those have almost all been taken out of service because of old age.

The lessons themselves involve a lot of on-road time. If you don't use the power you have once in a while, you'll be encouraged by your teacher to send it on occasion. If you park it in corners and only gently accelerate out of them, you'll most definitely get a talking to. If you are 'afraid' of the bike on the exam, you fail. The whole counter leaning thing from F9's latest video, is very much used on the special handling parcours part of the lessons.
In general, it'll take 2 or 3 months, before you are ready and/or allowed to do the exam (which is conducted by the department of motor vehicles, not by a for-profit organisation)

So while i don't disagree that starting on a low powered bike is a good idea and can potentially help a lot to become a better biker quicker, it's also not as if you're taking a plunge in the deep, if you buy an SV650 right after you graduate riding school, because after all, you're encouraged to actually handle a 4 second 0-100km/h bike in a safe way in those lessons.
40 hours of being chased by an instructor screaming into your ear via the radio doesn't even get you close to being fully able to exploit everything a high power bike can do, but it does give you the tools to need to become a good rider - without killing yourself in the process.

Despite lots of 24 year olds riding high powered bikes, we are the 3rd safest country for bikers in the EU, and have about 80% fewer biker fatalities than the USA has, when measured in fatalities per 100.000 bikes registered.

This is exactly how the UK does bike licenses as well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It's always fascinating to hear about places that actually do more than give a pat on the butt and a "godspeed patriot :patriot: " to new riders for licensing requirements.

LimaBiker posted:

Yes but what % less freedom does that translate to hmmm?? :911:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gonna be even less freedoms in the nearish future because it seems like an MOT for bikes is gonna be required soon-ish.

I don't exactly know why they want that, because apparently accidents caused by bad maintenance/neglect are pretty rare. Something in the 1% range.

I wonder if bikes with remapped ECUs still can pass emissions, and if they finally gonna do something about bikes without type approved exhausts or with exhausts with removed dB killer.
The state of noise regulations is really weird. On tracks, sometimes bikes are refused because they make too much noise, but they are barely ever pulled over when on public roads.
Meanwhile, nimbys are managing to get nice roads along meandering rivers closed off to bikers because of the noise. We don't have a lot of twisty roads so the few that are nice, are very popular.

In any case, i don't worry too much about it because my bikes are mostly bone stock, or built with proper approved parts, except for the front blinkers on my SV and those are pretty cheap and easy to swap out, if the tests are gonna include checking for non-type approved blinky bits.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 18, 2021

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

LimaBiker posted:

Gonna be even less freedoms in the nearish future because it seems like an MOT for bikes is gonna be required soon-ish.

I don't exactly know why they want that, because apparently accidents caused by bad maintenance/neglect are pretty rare. Something in the 1% range.

I wonder if bikes with remapped ECUs still can pass emissions, and if they finally gonna do something about bikes without type approved exhausts or with exhausts with removed dB killer.
The state of noise regulations is really weird. On tracks, sometimes bikes are refused because they make too much noise, but they are barely ever pulled over when on public roads.
Meanwhile, nimbys are managing to get nice roads along meandering rivers closed off to bikers because of the noise. We don't have a lot of twisty roads so the few that are nice, are very popular.

In any case, i don't worry too much about it because my bikes are mostly bone stock, or built with proper approved parts, except for the front blinkers on my SV and those are pretty cheap and easy to swap out, if the tests are gonna include checking for non-type approved blinky bits.
Seems to largely be the case with noise laws in the US too, I have no idea what they are in practicality. the one time I went to a track I had to make sure it met their fairly stringent requirements (although it's just a few miles from an air force base with regular F16 takeoffs :lol: ) , but I've never heard of anyone here being ticketed for exhaust system. And judging by the craigslist ads, there are a non-zero number of people riding around without an exhaust can on because it "SOUNDS BETTER".

Also in my neighborhood, judging by the cars that love to race their engines and set off car alarms at 1 AM, noise enforcement is basically nonexistent :arghfist: :corsair:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

We’ve started getting a lot of CHP crackdown on noise and other stuff, but this is California and on specific driving roads in the mountains near the Bay.

Also man now I want an air cooled monster, seems like would be an absolute hoot and be able to fuel my italian heritage desires lmao

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Seems to largely be the case with noise laws in the US too, I have no idea what they are in practicality. the one time I went to a track I had to make sure it met their fairly stringent requirements (although it's just a few miles from an air force base with regular F16 takeoffs :lol: )

Most race tracks have sound limits afaik but they tend to be “reasonable” — Laguna Seca is a notable exception where many stock bikes and performance car are too loud, which is especially egregious because the track predates everything else around there.

Most people just end up doing something like this to slip past the sound booth

There’s a guy who makes custom attachments for bikes too but I didn’t see any good pics.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Thats rear end. Its on the same level of fuckery with the creeping regulations on bike sound levels, which so far I think exist in Switzerland and Austria? Germany tried to make a law about it to try to push it to EU legislation to make too loud bikes illegal.

Everyone in Finland was also worried about having an MOT for bikes coming here, but the ministry of traffic made an explicit statement that this will not happen and they have informed EU about it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can register my motorcycle for 5 years without anyone looking at anything. You can also do this with any vehicle by getting a PO box outside the city limits in AZ.

I heard on the radio that France is trying out sound cameras (like speed cameras). I'm kind of curious how that will work out.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 19, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Honestly, i don't care about stricter enforcement of sound regulations on the condition that there will be no further road closures to bikers.

It's really poo poo that although i adhere to all regulations, with my bikes making about as much noise as a 2cv or a Beetle (noisier than average machines, which are totally allowed on the closed-for-bike roads), i'm also banned from those.
Let alone the rich guy toys like the ferraris and lambos, or boy racer Imprezas, which can be really bloody loud, but are also allowed...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm about to have months of free time, should I buy one of these?

I should add now that I have free time I'm finally going to get back to work on another project bike, and I need to buy a bike to replace my D675. $1750 would also get me a lot of track / instruction time, but I feel like these are probably less work to get passable than my meth gixxer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would grab the bottom two and make one phenomenal bike.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

should work well down a steep hill

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shouldn't a roller be fine uphill, just as long as you don't need to sit on it?

I keep on meaning to make an effort post describing how I want a dirt bike but I can't decide if it's better to have a plated bike or not (especially in California where a plated bike lets you ride the offroad areas year round) and also what dirt bike should I get, but effort. Essentially I want a 200cc or smaller dirt bike for actual dirt riding but then also wouldn't mind a bigger bike if I could ride it on the highway to get there, but I also want to switch wheels / tires and have a supermoto for the gokart track. Really what I want is 3 bikes in one so who knows.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Get a YZ125 and figure out how the plate it and also 17s. CSB please explain how

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a law saying dealerships are required to have terrible service?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bike? What bike? Do I know you? I don't even work here!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you're used to a smooth BMW experience, prepare for a ton of bullshit for a 5k bike.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

If you're used to a smooth BMW experience, prepare for a ton of bullshit for a 5k bike.

I bought a 16-year-old bike from a BMW dealer for €4.5k and got:
- A fully functional, serviced and washed bike
- A complete explanation of how everything works when I picked it up
- A year of dealer warranty
- A year of BMW road assistance in Europe (and an extra year if I let service the bike with the dealer)
- A spanking new BMW washcloth

All in all, pretty happy with the experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but you have to ride a bmw

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

The smooth BMW experience where it's sitting in my driveway unable to be driven because the dealership can't get the correct fluid for the breakin service and if I drive it any more it will void the warranty? That smooth BMW experience?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

The smooth BMW experience where it's sitting in my driveway unable to be driven because the dealership can't get the correct fluid for the breakin service and if I drive it any more it will void the warranty? That smooth BMW experience?

Nah you're conflating the hate yourself ownership experience with the smooth money taking experience.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

Wait did you somehow manage to avoid buying a Yamaha and ended up with a small capacity dadbike?

e: I didn't realise bmw went down to a 300 https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/bmw/g310r/2021/

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 22, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KillHour posted:

Could be worse, could get a KTM and get all the above plus numb hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Wait did you somehow manage to avoid buying a Yamaha and ended up with a small capacity dadbike?

He's talking about his M3.