Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The thread American is making a very persuasive case for voting PPC to keep the immigrants out of Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's not going to be very funny when these shitheads start getting more seats, and by that time the toothpaste is out of the tube.

Grow up.

It wont be, no, but the way this happened last time was the Progressive Conservative party merged with the further right Reform party after they had splintered off several years previously. The rather more extreme Reform party ended guiding the newly merged party and the old PC guard were marginalized.

If I had to bet, it would be that PPC will see very minor gains but cause enough of a vote split to hurt the CPC in competitive ridings and we'll wind up with another party merger in an election or two.

ZeeBoi posted:

The PPC candidate for my riding is a Vietnamese immigrant

I know some super socially conservative Vietnamese folks, so it wouldn't be the most surprising thing ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/some-small-town-business-owners-are-confused-concerned-about-alberta-s-new-vaccine-policy-1.5588927

Restaurant owner in the story said if he had to enforce a vaccine mandate in his staff he'd be forced to let 90% of them go because they don't believe in vaccinations and he's scared enforcing the rules for customers will drive them away.

I dont know, if I went on air and said "90% of my staff aren't vaccinated please come and eat here." that would be far more concerning to me than getting asked for a passport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"My employees don't wash their hands after they take a poo poo and our meat is stored at room temperatu... hey, wait, where are you going?!"

Lol of course it's loving Olds, oh my god, what a loving shithole that place is.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

It wont be, no, but the way this happened last time was the Progressive Conservative party merged with the further right Reform party after they had splintered off several years previously. The rather more extreme Reform party ended guiding the newly merged party and the old PC guard were marginalized.

If I had to bet, it would be that PPC will see very minor gains but cause enough of a vote split to hurt the CPC in competitive ridings and we'll wind up with another party merger in an election or two.

I think that's the smart money, but I worry about how they push weight around in the event the cons need their help (assuming they win any seats).

I hope you're right, but I'm worried about the Q financiers putting weight behind the conspiracy theorists and demonstrations. Even if they don't do much this election, the fact that the PPC's stock is increasing among chuds is worrying, to say the least.

If we're anything like the idiots south of us, this isn't a problem that goes away after a couple lost elections.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey, speaking of Olds, the knives are coming out for Kenney.

https://twitter.com/tomvernonglobal/status/1438956059171819521?s=21

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

Hey, speaking of Olds, the knives are coming out for Kenney.

https://twitter.com/tomvernonglobal/status/1438956059171819521?s=21

Lol, that's Nathan Cooper's riding. Supposedly he's the "reasonable" one in the UCP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

He signed the letter opposing COVID restrictions a while back, so you can guess how he feels about this.

But, seriously: what is going on in rural Alberta? Can they not see they are the architects of their own suffering?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Mr. Mercury posted:

They really, really don't.

We aren't going to get any left wing policy passed until we actually have a left wing party. Until that point you might get some minor fiddling with the tax code or a means tested tax rebate for small business owners who operate in a marginalized neighbourhood for 3 years and source 10% of their inputs from domestic sources.

The only actual political force that is offering an alternative to shitheaded neoliberalism is the loving fash, and no amount of posting is going to change that.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

PT6A posted:

But, seriously: what is going on in rural Alberta? Can they not see they are the architects of their own suffering?

Privilege and power is a hell of a drug. Even for people that don't actually have power, just the thought that they are in control can make people 100% blind to any fault in their words or actions. This has been a problem since literally forever, but yes it is still amazing to see it play out again and again as the history of it piles up. Those who don't read history something something...

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 18, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bernie+Jagmeet, the best choice who really should have won but never will because voters are stupid :patriot:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm voting PPC

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

The Coronavirus thanks you for your support.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

Oh you're back.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

We know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

Why not Christian Heritage Party?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

Bro there's easier ways to gently caress yourself, just find a nice dildo and some good lube and go to town.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's Catholic, masturbation is a sin unless you're posting about it on the internet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Jesus was the first #semenretention warrior

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yea, his cup runneth over

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

lmao imagine being a catholic

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ZShakespeare posted:

We aren't going to get any left wing policy passed until we actually have a left wing party. Until that point you might get some minor fiddling with the tax code or a means tested tax rebate for small business owners who operate in a marginalized neighbourhood for 3 years and source 10% of their inputs from domestic sources.

The only actual political force that is offering an alternative to shitheaded neoliberalism is the loving fash, and no amount of posting is going to change that.

We have 3-4 "major" ones, the succdem NDP, the marixist-leninists, and :canada:'s 3rd oldest political party the Communists! And while the greens suck the lefties have a large growing presence within, iirc Lascaris came in 2nd behind Paul for leadership

In terms of ideology there's probably a couple of others, there's literally 20+ political parties https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=par&document=index&lang=e

No doubt these don't count for a variety of reasons, but waiting for a rapturous future day (that from the pov of most ppl, has already occurred multiple times) when a truly pure leftist party arrives is a recipe for inaction and failure imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

just go to quebec that way you don't even have to pretend

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

We have 3-4 "major" ones, the succdem NDP, the marixist-leninists, and :canada:'s 3rd oldest political party the Communists! And while the greens suck the lefties have a large growing presence within, iirc Lascaris came in 2nd behind Paul for leadership

In terms of ideology there's probably a couple of others, there's literally 20+ political parties https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=par&document=index&lang=e

No doubt these don't count for a variety of reasons, but waiting for a rapturous future day (that from the pov of most ppl, has already occurred multiple times) when a truly pure leftist party arrives is a recipe for inaction and failure imo

If only one of them actually ran candidates and articulated popular leftist policies. They even have a handful of those people in the states.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yes, definitely the thing holding the communists and the ML party from forming government is that they just haven't got around to running a full slate of candidates.

It takes every ounce of energy to convince the average canadian that the NDP aren't going to usher in full communism and put all business owners in gulags, anyone further left unfortunately doesn't stand a chance.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The commies & ML's actually do a pretty good job covering the spread out here in BC, for fringe parties

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Jesus was the first #semenretention warrior

Didn't Buddha beat him by a few centuries?

PT6A posted:

The church certainly doesn't make it easy :(

ZShakespeare posted:

If only one of them actually ran candidates and articulated popular leftist policies. They even have a handful of those people in the states.

Lol ok doomer

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ZShakespeare posted:

Ever thought that maybe the political centrists who don’t want to change anything are fomenting right wing parties as a way of suppressing the resurgent interest in left wing policy that we’re seeing from younger generations? That way the hardcore centrists like the Libs can position themselves as the sane alternative to the bigger threat of the PPC.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

enki42 posted:

It takes every ounce of energy to convince the average canadian that the NDP aren't going to usher in full communism and put all business owners in gulags

Maybe that's the problem. All they need to do is convince the average voter they'll put their boss in a gulag.

Kraftwerk posted:

That way the hardcore centrists

Radical centrists

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PT6A posted:

3/5ths of the party leaders are Catholic. No wonder suffering is universal across their platforms.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Lol ok doomer

Thats a weird thing to call someone who doesn't think that the NDP is magically going to win and are crypto leftists, but ok.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Ever thought that maybe the political centrists who don’t want to change anything are fomenting right wing parties as a way of suppressing the resurgent interest in left wing policy that we’re seeing from younger generations? That way the hardcore centrists like the Libs can position themselves as the sane alternative to the bigger threat of the PPC.

Thank you for re-stating the problem.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

enki42 posted:

Yes, definitely the thing holding the communists and the ML party from forming government is that they just haven't got around to running a full slate of candidates.

Read this as Machine Learning party and now I’m wondering how far you could get by creating a fake party who’s policy is generated by AI

Wonder how long it would take for it to go further right than the PPC

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Thats a weird thing to call someone who doesn't think that the NDP is magically going to win and are crypto leftists, but ok.

Well sorry, I don't know you dude and that's a much more reasonable post than the one you made earlier that I was responding to

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Read this as Machine Learning party and now I’m wondering how far you could get by creating a fake party who’s policy is generated by AI

Wonder how long it would take for it to go further right than the PPC

If you opened it up to training from the internet it would be under an hour.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Blood Boils posted:

Didn't Buddha beat him by a few centuries?

Nah, he was jackin it all the time, "Seeker, empty the boat, lighten the load, be free of craving and judgment and hatred, and feel the joy of the way."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Evis posted:

If you opened it up to training from the internet it would be under an hour.

Remember when Microsoft had to shut their ML chatbot down because it turned into a Nazi?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm voting PPC because the conservative party secretly agrees with Trudeau on everything and will change nothing even if it does win.
I don't actually care though.

It's braindead to stay in this backwards racist neoliberal failed petrostate shithole patiently waiting for the anchluss to become official in Water War 1.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

Bully this guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buddy, we're trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
At the very least maybe the NDP winning might force the Liberals to fix their poo poo.