Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

my homie dhall posted:

being in a team where your request for changes can be overridden by other people's approvals sounds pretty toxic (unless those other people are your TL making an executive decision)

If an idea is fundamentally bad and you submit it, it should be added? Only the TL or a manager can point out bad ideas, not those tasked with reviewing bad ideas regardless of title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

my homie dhall posted:

being in a team where your request for changes can be overridden by other people's approvals sounds pretty toxic (unless those other people are your TL making an executive decision)

oh no they have a better trick. if you request changes they can make a small change and push (or just force push nothing) and it resets everything and then they can get someone else to approve while you’re not looking

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
nah

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 17, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

If an idea is fundamentally bad and you submit it, it should be added? Only the TL or a manager can point out bad ideas, not those tasked with reviewing bad ideas regardless of title?

Your post has nothing to do with the quoted one

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Reviewers can have pretty bad ideas sometimes too, hence the manager override

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm not sure where you got that from. If someone asks for changes in a PR I make then we're going to reach consensus about the conclusion together or bring it to the TL.

Joe Chip posted:

oh no they have a better trick. if you request changes they can make a small change and push (or just force push nothing) and it resets everything and then they can get someone else to approve while you’re not looking

lol, jesus christ man

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Joe Chip posted:

:sever: yesterday

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

my homie dhall posted:

I'm not sure where you got that from. If someone asks for changes in a PR I make then we're going to reach consensus about the conclusion together or bring it to the TL.

lol, jesus christ man

my b, misread/understood

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Plorkyeran posted:

get better at using the tool you use every day.

Except with git this is like getting better at hitting yourself on the head with a brick.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Joe Chip posted:

pretty sure that's a repo config option in github (if i remember correctly from when i had to lock all that poo poo down for regulatory compliance reasons)

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Joe Chip posted:

if anyone did that where I noticed I would explode

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

seriously, that is a toxic environment. not in a tumblr way, but in a real way

i recommend you start sending out resumes + slacking off immediately

they dont give a poo poo about you, you dont have to give a poo poo about them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Carthag Tuek posted:

this

i'd personally make a best effort to understand why my teammates wanted to go around my review and escalate if necessary but if engineering management felt that was acceptable practice i'd be out of there so loving fast

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Presto posted:

Except with git this is like getting better at hitting yourself on the head with a brick.

stop being a whiny baby and just learn how to use git if you’re a developer and have to use it for your job. it has a stupid rear end ui but there are much more complicated and worse things that you interact with on a daily basis

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you've never had to deal with file locking, revision skew or destructive merges, i can assure you that those were worse problems

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

if you've never had to deal with file locking, revision skew or destructive merges, i can assure you that those were worse problems

ill the company wide email for everyone to close a specific excel file on network drive N

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
my first internship was at a vss shop and the unofficial policy was that everyone had to use the same password for vss so that you could unlock files other people had locked

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Gazpacho posted:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I never had to deal with any of that, and I still like git.

Not the git cli, that sucks rear end. And definitely not the GUI frontends that inevitably end up obscuring the thing I actually want and know how to do away from me. Just the idea of git :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plorkyeran posted:

my first internship was at a vss shop and the unofficial policy was that everyone had to use the same password for vss so that you could unlock files other people had locked

holy loly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Xarn posted:

I never had to deal with any of that, and I still like git.

Not the git cli, that sucks rear end. And definitely not the GUI frontends that inevitably end up obscuring the thing I actually want and know how to do away from me. Just the idea of git :v:

i like how fork does it

no frills, no whistles, but it makes it easy for me to gently caress around with commit history, which is the most important job of a version control system.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyone got a short “c++ 17 for idiots” reference handy? got a technical interview in 2 weeks that told me to prepare to reason about a toy application written in it, so i want to familiarise myself with syntax and some of the more common patterns or gotchas

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyone got a short “c++ 17 for idiots” reference handy? got a technical interview in 2 weeks that told me to prepare to reason about a toy application written in it, so i want to familiarise myself with syntax and some of the more common patterns or gotchas

in my use cases c++14 and c++17 are just refinements of a lot of the ideas in c++11 so if you've written "modern" c++ then there shouldn't be too many surprises. there are some neat new types like std::variant and std::optional and some new things like if statement initializers and concurrency in the STL but overall it's still the same language. if you just want best practices i really like and advocate the c++ core guidelines written by Bjarne and Herb Sutter: https://isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines

if you know c++ but not the "modern" style microsoft has a nice short writeup with some highlights: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/cpp/welcome-back-to-cpp-modern-cpp?view=msvc-160

if you don't know c++ at all but know something like java you should be able to understand the program but if they ask any detailed language trivia 2 weeks is not enough time to get up to speed imho. i don't know any good crash courses in c++ but i'm sure someone else here does

caveat: i haven't written c++ professionally in 2 years but i still use it for most of my hobby projects. there are absolutely more qualified posters in this thread who can give you a better answer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joe Chip posted:

in my use cases c++14 and c++17 are just refinements of a lot of the ideas in c++11 so if you've written "modern" c++ then there shouldn't be too many surprises. there are some neat new types like std::variant and std::optional and some new things like if statement initializers and concurrency in the STL but overall it's still the same language. if you just want best practices i really like and advocate the c++ core guidelines written by Bjarne and Herb Sutter: https://isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines

if you know c++ but not the "modern" style microsoft has a nice short writeup with some highlights: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/cpp/welcome-back-to-cpp-modern-cpp?view=msvc-160

if you don't know c++ at all but know something like java you should be able to understand the program but if they ask any detailed language trivia 2 weeks is not enough time to get up to speed imho. i don't know any good crash courses in c++ but i'm sure someone else here does

caveat: i haven't written c++ professionally in 2 years but i still use it for most of my hobby projects. there are absolutely more qualified posters in this thread who can give you a better answer

for context, i have no c++ or java experience, and the point of the interview is to see how i fare with reading “foreign” code. reading between the lines, i fully expect c++ fizzbuzz with some silly mistake to point out, as it’s a short call. they’ve been no-bullshit so far, so im not anticipating any gotcha, especially “lol you didn’t know that stdlib.fart has o(n^4) space complexity”

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Carthag Tuek posted:

i like how fork does it

no frills, no whistles, but it makes it easy for me to gently caress around with commit history, which is the most important job of a version control system.

fork is good poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for context, i have no c++ or java experience, and the point of the interview is to see how i fare with reading “foreign” code. reading between the lines, i fully expect c++ fizzbuzz with some silly mistake to point out, as it’s a short call. they’ve been no-bullshit so far, so im not anticipating any gotcha, especially “lol you didn’t know that stdlib.fart has o(n^4) space complexity”

you might want to read the microsoft article posted above, the page also has lots of "how does C++ work" resources

frankly it's a bit weird specifying C++17 when you just want someone to work with C++ without knowing it and it might be more difficult than you expect

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 18, 2021

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i read this: https://www.cppstd17.com/index.html

seemed p good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

you might want to read the microsoft article posted above, the page also has lots of "how does C++ work" resources

frankly it's a bit weird specifying C++17 when you just want someone to work with C++ without knowing it and it might be more difficult than you expect

ill take a look at the article, cheers. can’t say i have the context to tell if it’s weird for them to specify c++17 in this case, but the way i see it im not going to do anything more on the interview than reading the code out loud and doing some surface analysis on the algorithmic nature of whatever it’s doing. the actual job position does not expect me to work with c++, it’s not part of their stack. the stack has bunch of stuff way different from my current skill set, however, so i presume this is a generic test to seek if i grok learning new poo poo

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ill take a look at the article, cheers. can’t say i have the context to tell if it’s weird for them to specify c++17 in this case, but the way i see it im not going to do anything more on the interview than reading the code out loud and doing some surface analysis on the algorithmic nature of whatever it’s doing. the actual job position does not expect me to work with c++, it’s not part of their stack. the stack has bunch of stuff way different from my current skill set, however, so i presume this is a generic test to seek if i grok learning new poo poo

it is very weird to specify c++17 for a job that doesn't primarily use c++. it might be some pedantic dev in which case whatever but if i was interviewing for a c++ role and knew the candidate didn't know c++ i would not specify a standard (i might say modern c++) and in reality i would probably check their skills in java/c# or something like that rather than throw them in the deep end

edit: now i'm very curious what kind of tech they actually use that they think this is a good test. i'm not saying it's a bad idea but i'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where i'd want to test a dev who doesn't know java or c++ in the latest revision of c++ for a role that doesn't use c++

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 18, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Joe Chip posted:

c++ in the latest revision of c++ for a role that doesn't use c++

C++20 is now the latest revision, which kindof underscores it a bit

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Private Speech posted:

C++20 is now the latest revision, which kindof underscores it a bit

my version of clang still calls it c++2a: Working draft for ISO C++ 2020

edit: and neither gcc nor clang fully implements it. maybe msvc does but my days of windows programming are mercifully over

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 19, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joe Chip posted:

it is very weird to specify c++17 for a job that doesn't primarily use c++. it might be some pedantic dev in which case whatever but if i was interviewing for a c++ role and knew the candidate didn't know c++ i would not specify a standard (i might say modern c++) and in reality i would probably check their skills in java/c# or something like that rather than throw them in the deep end

edit: now i'm very curious what kind of tech they actually use that they think this is a good test. i'm not saying it's a bad idea but i'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where i'd want to test a dev who doesn't know java or c++ in the latest revision of c++ for a role that doesn't use c++

i think this is the case of a pedantic interview prompt writer, that would be consistent with the entire process so far. if differences between c++17 and whatever was before it are superficial or mostly concerning advanced stuff, then id bet $100 that an older language revision materials would work just as fine. i have literally zero clue about c++ history, so i just mentioned it as it was presented to me - “you shall analyse a tiny program written in c++ 2017”. their actual tech stack is not a combination i have seen ever before, this is a “we use nim in production” tier of unusual circumstances (they dont actually use nim, to be clear). i personally am a data person, so for me the job would entail writing julia code

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 18, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think it's possible to guess why they decided to specify c++ 17

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 18, 2021

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think this is the case of a pedantic interview prompt writer, that would be consistent with the entire process so far. if differences between c++17 and whatever was before it are superficial or mostly concerning advanced stuff, then id bet $100 that an older language revision materials would work just as fine. i have literally zero clue about c++ history, so i just mentioned it as it was presented to me - “you shall analyse a tiny program written in c++ 2017”. their actual tech stack is not a combination i have seen ever before, this is a “we use nim in production” tier of unusual circumstances (they dont actually use nim, to be clear). i personally am a data person, so for me the job would entail writing julia code

ok pedantry makes sense in this case. i would say read as much as you can of "A Tour of C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup. it's written by the creator of the language and it's a relatively short guide to the major concepts in c++

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joe Chip posted:

ok pedantry makes sense in this case. i would say read as much as you can of "A Tour of C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup. it's written by the creator of the language and it's a relatively short guide to the major concepts in c++

240 pages looks like a well doable 2-3 evening affair for my purposes, cheers

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

240 pages looks like a well doable 2-3 evening affair for my purposes, cheers

You might want to check on this afterwards to catch up on C++17 syntax changes: https://github.com/tvaneerd/cpp17_in_TTs/blob/main/ALL_IN_ONE.md

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

I don't think it's possible to guess why they decided to specify c++ 17

maybe it’s mandated that it goes in every job post. I’ve seen it a lot with c# and when questioned the managers go “oh yeah the rest of the shop is all Microsoft and we’re trying to break the mold don’t worry about it”

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Interview code challenges, whiteboard, pairing, being observed, or otherwise are loving awful. I was toying with the idea of inverting it:

You bring a challenge of your choice in your language of choice to me, put it on some public repo (and develop and commit like you would), and we walk through your solution and decisions together and we have to keep it to 30 min

I kind of like the idea of not putting someone on the spot, seeing what they think is a sufficiently interesting and appropriate problem that can be timeboxed, getting an idea of how they thought through their solution, getting an idea of their proactive communication, and how they take feedback.

Do something trivial like fizzbuzz and you can gently caress off, do something that takes 4 hours to go through and you can gently caress off, copy paste something you can't articulate and is probably in one big commit and you can gently caress off

I had some friends that wanted to just play some board game with candidates at lunch. That was the secret interview to tip off if you were an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DrPossum posted:

Do something trivial like fizzbuzz and you can gently caress off, do something that takes 4 hours to go through and you can gently caress off, copy paste something you can't articulate and is probably in one big commit and you can gently caress off

well as long as you tell this to the candidates beforehand