Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
so when he dies wheres all his money going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Even if we take self absorbed rich old man at face value, how would companies leaving make it harder to tackle labour shortages? Labour shortages mean more jobs than people willing to work those jobs. Wouldn't jobs leaving ease the labour shortage? They're just so used to saying "we'll take our jobs elsewhere" they short circuit when people don't want their poo poo jobs.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ZeeBoi posted:

lol at PPC stealing 7% of the vote from the CPC

but also :shepicide: at 7% for the PPC

Praise Trudeau we still have FPTP

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I love the argument that if there’s a lucrative amount of money to be made you’ll have investment to exploit it, but if there’s merely a great business opportunity someone with $1B in the bank is just going to pass it up.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

lol are you for real

Yes? What's the disagreement with what I said?

The PPC's poll numbers being as high as they are is pretty concerning - the far right in Canada gets way more support than the far left. Communist parties get like 0.02% of the vote, the radicalization here (in any statistically significant sense) is only going one way.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 18, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even though the CPC polling tweet was deleted, something seems to be going on. This is the second day of The Sun putting out a “please don’t vote for Trudeau” issue.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
So will we be in the #diefenbunker Monday night? I promise to behave myself.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Noted feminist newspaper, The Sun

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RBC posted:

so when he dies wheres all his money going

He is a hardcore evangelical Christian, so my money is on his church.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mila kunis posted:

The PPC's poll numbers being as high as they are is pretty concerning - the far right in Canada gets way more support than the far left. Communist parties get like 0.02% of the vote, the radicalization here (in any statistically significant sense) is only going one way.

You waltzed in and made a demand like you're a fuckin schoolteacher as if you were owed time from someone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

McGavin posted:

He is a hardcore evangelical Christian, so his money is on his church.

Fixed

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

You waltzed in and made a demand like you're a fuckin schoolteacher as if you were owed time from someone.

I asked why someone disagreed with what I said in the debate and discussion forum lol, get over yourself

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ZShakespeare posted:

I think Discord is the standard now for election night drinking channels.

The USPOL Discord has made a thread for us. It's under #worldpol

https://discord.gg/3K9cg27

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mila kunis posted:

I asked why someone disagreed with what I said in the debate and discussion forum lol, get over yourself

Okay Mr. World-revolves-around-me, this is literally what you said:

mila kunis posted:

Make your case.

That's not a request. That's a demand. I kindly suggest you take a little more time wording queries if you want an honest answer.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 18, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Okay Mr. World-revolves-around-me, this is literally what you said:

That's not a request. That's a demand. I kindly suggest you take a little more time wording queries if you want an honest answer.

This is just sad dude.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Praise Trudeau we still have FPTP

Something like Alternative Vote would probably still end up with giving the Liberals a majority as in districts with a significant enough NDP voting presence their votes would probably go to the Liberals and there's more NDP voters than PPC.

Things get spicey with Single Transferable Vote because then you wonder how many voters who vote Liberal instead vote NDP with the knowledge that they don't need to vote strategically to keep the Conservatives out; but also what happens when its like a 30% 30% 20% 10% 5% breakdown of seats and all governments from then on are all coalition governments when its never going to be the case anyone ever gets 50+1% of the vote.

I mean this is a discussion thread, people are allowed to disagree with what you say and ask for elaboration?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think “make your case” is a fairly common phrase/idiom that doesn’t quite equate to a strong demand. If someone told me those exact words in response to something I said I would consider it a request to elaborate, despite the literal phrasing suggesting it’s a demand to explain myself. Maybe there’s a cultural difference here?

E: I think a literal wording for “make your case” would be more like “okay you have my attention I want to hear what you have to say”, at least to me.

Evis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mila kunis posted:

This is just sad dude.

I dunno, I feel pretty okay about it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Evis posted:

I think “make your case” is a fairly common phrase/idiom that doesn’t quite equate to a strong demand. If someone told me those exact words in response to something I said I would consider it a request to elaborate, despite the literal phrasing suggesting it’s a demand to explain myself. Maybe there’s a cultural difference here?

E: I think a literal wording for “make your case” would be more like “okay you have my attention I want to hear what you have to say”, at least to me.

Yeah its no different from saying "ok, go on". loving weird reason to get aggro at someone over

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"proceed governor"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Things get spicey with Single Transferable Vote because then you wonder how many voters who vote Liberal instead vote NDP with the knowledge that they don't need to vote strategically to keep the Conservatives out; but also what happens when its like a 30% 30% 20% 10% 5% breakdown of seats and all governments from then on are all coalition governments when its never going to be the case anyone ever gets 50+1% of the vote.

A literal good thing I would. Certainly better than the current 40ish percent of the vote granting full control.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Evis posted:

It's literally a literal demand for an action, with the implication that the action is owed by the receiving party to the speaker. This kind of debt could result from injury, or relationship to the demandee. Culture has nothing to do with it, unless you count the usual D&D fart huffing.

If someone told me "make your case" that didn't have an appropriate (eg, a superior or someone I screwed over) relationship to me, the answer is always "lol gently caress off." Because no, that's an inappropriate action based on the relationship. You could ask a question worded nearly identically and sidestep the issue altogether, but Meg from Family Guy decided they either don't care about that, or they actually believe they're superior and will post about it. Understandably, this elicited my response.

mila kunis posted:

Yeah its no different from saying "ok, go on". loving weird reason to get aggro at someone over

It literally isn't.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Better for a more representative government in theory assuming the parties more ideologically similar to each other coalition instead of something more big brained but then maybe voters actually punish parties that don't actually govern according to their preferences.

There is a concern that maybe 1% fringe party holds the balance of power, that can still happen even under the current system.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It's literally a literal demand for an action, with the implication that the action is owed by the receiving party to the speaker.

Yes it is literally a demand for action, but we very often don’t use the language literally.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Log off, enjoy the sunshine

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Log off, enjoy the sunshine

If you think I'm not in the hammock right now after that ridiculous rainfall yesterday you're crazy!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If I had a hammock I wouldn’t be wasting my time arguing with strangers on the internet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

apatheticman posted:

Noted feminist newspaper, The Sun

So supportive of their Sunshine Girls.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Sun going full Facebook commenter now. Jesus.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

The Sun going full Facebook commenter now. Jesus.

I wonder what their traffic metrics are; I know engagement is super high with the bullshittiest FB posts, but they had to have had some major push to go that direction

ZeeBoi posted:

If I had a hammock I wouldn’t be wasting my time arguing with strangers on the internet.

Lucky for me I can have it both ways

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arivia posted:

i genuinely want to know what you meant by cryptoleftist, no foolin

I think they mean that the dippers are generally fairly centrist, only appearing leftist in comparison to the grits/tories

Which is fair but also so what, vote commie, unless they also aren't pure enough :shrug:

Edit: or they think that people posting here think Singh will win and is some sort of radical lol

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 18, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Hey D&D how're we doin this afternoon

ZShakespeare posted:

This one gets it.

Mr. Mercury posted:

They really, really don't.

mila kunis posted:

Make your case.

lol are you for real

Nevermind, carry on

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

ZShakespeare posted:

#diefenbunker on irc.synirc.org for all your political needs.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Boy every media outlet sure is keen to run stories warning CPC/PPC voters about vote-splitting right now, gosh.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pleads posted:

Boy every media outlet sure is keen to run stories warning CPC/PPC voters about vote-splitting right now, gosh.

But Liberal Media!

I really dont know how anyone can claim that with a straight face after the last 20 years of buyouts and mergers in this country.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The same way people claim the earth is flat or covid isn’t real.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pleads posted:

Whole articles running now that don't even think to mention the NDP

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

mila kunis posted:

Most of the more radical leftists who engage in electoral politics still vote NDP due to viability but the PPC crowd is definitely loud, united, and growing.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Normy posted:

Most of the more radical leftists who engage in electoral politics still vote NDP due to viability but the PPC crowd is definitely loud, united, and growing.

Also, the leftists are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1439247782485938176

this is just the funniest poo poo lmfao no one who wants this believes you JT why bother