Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Carole & Tuesday a good Watanabe show?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ith the massive authority vested in me by making the thread for it, no

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Carole & Tuesday a good Watanabe show?

I liked it a lot. Like, a whole lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's two for yes, and I watched a couple clips on YouTube. Watanabe and shows with a focus on music seem to go well together.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This is the only clip you should need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjqEexH0Tg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Son of a motherfucking bitch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sold.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Carole and Tuesday was great. I wanted more!

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I'm looking for psychological/mind-gamey/gambling themed manga, in the line of Death Note, One Outs, Kaiji, Liar Game, or Gin to Kin.
I didn't much care for Tomodachi Game, Usogui, or the other FKMT works.
Plusses include 80s/90s urban environments, MCs who can lose, and solutions that aren't *completely* contrived.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

archduke.iago posted:

I'm looking for psychological/mind-gamey/gambling themed manga, in the line of Death Note, One Outs, Kaiji, Liar Game, or Gin to Kin.
Plusses include 80s/90s urban environments, MCs who can lose, and solutions that aren't *completely* contrived.

You want Monster. Go watch Monster.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Can anyone recommend more quiet post-apocalyptic stuff like Girls Last Tour?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kino's Journey?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anthony Chuzzlewit posted:

have you explored any of yokohama kaidashi kikou?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coaaab posted:

have you explored any of yokohama kaidashi kikou?

Ohh good call

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah definitely yokohama kaidashi kikou

there's one series I remember being recommended once about a girl and her dog wandering through the post-apocalypse, never read it and don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about and can say whether it's worth a go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that's two for yes, and I watched a couple clips on YouTube. Watanabe and shows with a focus on music seem to go well together.

Well, I watched the first episode.

gently caress it, I'm on board for this. That shot of the city skyline at night was gorgeous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That Works posted:

Ohh good call

Yeah, I was about to suggest that.

For manga, you've also got Kabu No Isaki if you want more in the same tone from the same author. It's not post-apocalyptic, but it has the same calm, isolated tone in a world where civilization is in distant pockets within the wilderness.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sora No Woto (aka Sound Of The Sky) isn't quite as quiet or on the brink as Girls' Last Tour but is still excellent IMO

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Even If the World Is Over It's Fun to Live
https://mangadex.org/title/d1fa8ce7-ad9d-475d-9311-2a850b1f3336/even-if-the-world-is-over-it-s-fun-to-live

Roaming the Apocalypse with my Shiba-Inu
https://mangadex.org/title/0861e776-968f-4549-847b-7e33c6d6555e/sekai-no-owari-ni-shiba-inu-to

World's End Touring
https://mangadex.org/title/f5c031c8-a9ff-4be1-bb47-d12f3f688bb6/world-s-end-touring

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 18, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sora no Woto is the other great 'cute girls at the end of the world' show though it's more a dying earth setting than full on post-apoc

Casshern Sins is a good post-apocalyptic-wandering series but is a lot heavier/sadder than GLT

edit: these are both original anime so if you were looking for manga i got nothing

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 18, 2021

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Thanks for all the recommendations! I queued up everything I could find. I also watched a bit of Yokohama kaidashi kikou and it definitely fits the bill. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Humanity Has Declined.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thanks for all the recommendations! I queued up everything I could find. I also watched a bit of Yokohama kaidashi kikou and it definitely fits the bill. :)
I don't think the anime covers very much, you'll want to switch over to the manga, which is exceptional. one of the all-time greats.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

At the risk of being strangled, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has a lot of mindgames and justified strategies, and the main character doesn't always win. It's future space war rather than historical gambling, however.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Humanity Has Declined.

As a note, while this is technically post-apoc, the tone doesn't lean into that hard (except for a couple parts that hit a little harder with the backdrop).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Any recommends with a similar setting like Gate? Meaning a clash between a medival fantasy world and our real world

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could always play Civ 5.

More on that though, is there an equivalent of Gate that isn't also military fanwank?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tin Tim posted:

Any recommends with a similar setting like Gate? Meaning a clash between a medival fantasy world and our real world

Arc Hammer posted:

More on that though, is there an equivalent of Gate that isn't also military fanwank?

Knights and Magic maybe. There's giant robots that run on magic in a pseudo-medieval setting.

The upcoming Slime arc in the LN's(12 to 15 or so)basically IS something out of GATE.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Drifters

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kind of.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Arc Hammer posted:

Eh I had my fill of throwing battleships at low tech civs already thanks :v:

Thx for this one I'm two episodes in and it seems cool

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Inspired by this outstanding video from Hazel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-XaCPqjqE - I was looking for some more examples of great, schlocky, gorey, kinda trashy single episode OVAs from the 80s and 90s. We watched a bunch of the ones in the video, but Hazel mentions she hasn't seen a lot of mechs and stuff and wondered if anyone had any recommendations in that direction.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I can't give you any specific titles, but I bet there are a bunch of Mike Toole and Daryl Surat articles and/or convention panels on the subject.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The first 2 Devilman OVAs live forever in my heart. I watch them yearly. As for mech OVAs I can't recall a single one, and I watched a lot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Inspired by this outstanding video from Hazel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-XaCPqjqE - I was looking for some more examples of great, schlocky, gorey, kinda trashy single episode OVAs from the 80s and 90s. We watched a bunch of the ones in the video, but Hazel mentions she hasn't seen a lot of mechs and stuff and wondered if anyone had any recommendations in that direction.

They're not all as schlocky or trashy, but I've been kind of making a habit of watching old mech one-shots over the past couple years, so I might be able to help a bit. Sticking to older one shots...

Good Morning Althea has some nudity, but is low on hyperviolence. It's the future, humanity had a war between psychics and non-psychics, psychics won and now there's resentment from the non-psychic members of ship crews as they work together to explore the galaxy. A distress signal leads a ship's crew to near destruction, so the ragtag survivors have to learn to get along if they want to save their MIA buddies. A bit complicated for the runtime, and not great, but not absolutely terrible either.

Ladius is terrible and trashy. Again, not much of the old hyper-violence, and I don't remember much nudity, but it's a generic fantasy-mechs-sci-fi mishmash that thinks its protagonist is the coolest when he's just kind of a tool. Pretty skippable.

Relic Armor Legaciam probably isn't what you want, since it's not trying to be trashy. Miyazaki inspired science fiction with strong Valley of the Wind influences, it's about a young girl piloting a mech her grandpa made to save him from the government forces (who have somewhat sympathetic motives for wanting to steal his mech.) It's one of the better old OVAs I've seen, even if it feels incomplete with an ending that ends the main conflict of the previous story, but doesn't quite resolve the setting's issues.

Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven, by contrast, are purestrain trash. Violence, sexual content, pointless bleakness, awful animation... basically, if you're looking for terrible anime, this is what you want, especially since you can finish both of them in under 45 minutes.

Speaking of 45 minutes, Gundam SEED: Stargazer is from the early 2000s, but it does have the war-is-hell violence of this kind of trash anime, combined with a decent story and characters. Might be worth a poke.

And while we're looking at large franchises, VOTOMS has Big Battle, Last Red Shoulder, Case Irvine, Origins of Ambition, and Finder as semi-standalone one-shots. They vary in quality and standalone-ness, in addition to being released across decades, but they do have some nice action, grit, and occasional mega gore.

Power Dolls has two standalone mech OVAs about an all women unit of mech pilots, based on a strategy game. The second one has some of what you're looking for, if I remember right. Wasn't all that good, but it's mildly interesting from a historical prospective.

Cybernetics Guardian is right dead center in your requests. Trashy, violent, stupid, released in '89, centers around a mech suit being possessed by a demon... seriously, it's perfect for this.

Meanwhile, Techno Police 21C isn't perfect for anything. It's basically the A-team in tone with robots and less likable characters.

Probably better to go with the first two Megazones. Released years apart, with different teams and character designs, Megazone part II is very much an 80s trash anime. It's not good, like, at all, but it has mechs, pointless violence, nudity, drinking, and angry rebellion against THE MAN, MAN!

Appleseed (1988) is a bad adaptation of a good manga.

And finally, for the moment, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is about a dumb teenager getting stuck in a mech and piloting it to try to see his girlfriend at the airport before she leaves for London, and the military's attempts to get their robot back. Pretty middling, but hey. It's an early work of Hideaki Anno as key animator. That's something!

Hopefully, there's something there that should fit your needs. I've got a lot more mech OVAs, but they're mostly more episodes, newer, less trashy, or some other combination of the three.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is the first time i've seen anyone call megazone 23 part ii trash

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Not strictly one-offs but Dangaioh and Zeorymer are 3-4 episodes long and are dumb and trashy.

Bubblegum Crisis is a lot of fun and is mostly comprised of one-offs. The protagonists wear power armor but there's a lot of mechs between the ones used by the police and the boomers.

While not strictly mecha, Guyver does have some mechanical elements. Guyver: Out of Control is a one-off. It's pretty alright. Big recommend to the OVA series that ran from 89-92 though. It's incomplete but it has some great animation and music and the Manga Entertainment dub is really funny.

There's also the biomechanical Genocyber but I can't tell you too much about it. It's level of gore was just a little past my comfort zone.

Last thing that kinda sorta fits is Black Lion. It's a Go Nagai joint and is goofy as hell. No giant robots but Nobunaga made a deal with aliens to conquer Japan with a mechanical army and 99% of the plot is our heroes trying to kill a comically invincible ninja-assassin cyborg.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Oh, I've just remembered a set I do like, actually. Look up a two-parter called Orguss 02.

Some good characters and a neat setting. Also, it's a spin-off of Macross and the events that happen in that series. Though really that's just a neat little thing that factors in little.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megazone Part 2 is really good lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watch basically everything Sho Aikawa did in the 80s becauze he wrote pretty much all the famous ones