Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

how do you feel about noodle dishes from, say, Thailand or Japan?

Inferior to Hamburger Helper, declares tastemaker Gaius Marius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

So are you "fighting fascism on every level", or vicariously living through twitter videos of dorks like Richard Spencer getting socked in the face once in a while and going "drat that was awesome (it was sort of awesome tbh)" like every other acab?

Dude I'm a trans girl, I'm fighting fascism every loving time I walk out the door, just by existing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

One of my friends living in the same city as me had their door broken down by the police because a fash called the cops on them. They then got carted away and released later with no charge.

Another autistic queer person in this city was harassed and beaten by police because they got overwhelmed, and were lying on the corner of the sidealk, their partner told the police several times what was going on and that the best thing to do was to just give them time. That was at Pride. You know, the celebration specifically for queer people to feel safe at.

People on the street that I walk past openly talk about my genitals within ear shot. And I know people who have been physically harassed, the police did nothing.

Instead, they sent 40 cops to a mentally black man's house and then brutalised him enough that they killed him.

They also told a woman whose son had died, that it was a suicide only hours after hearing about it, and then when it was found out that it wasn't, they basically didn't investigate it.

So yeah, ACAB.

edit: I should say, this wasn't in America, the police are known here worldwide for being "good cops" trained in de-escalation, and they can't even carry guns. None of that means poo poo. I don't know a single person that trusts them who isn't cishet.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Sep 18, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

alexandriao posted:

Dude I'm a trans girl, I'm fighting fascism every loving time I walk out the door, just by existing.

:sympathy:

alexandriao posted:

I don't know a single person that trusts them who isn't cishet.

Yeah this is pretty much it. The people who seem to struggle the most to understand how much of a threat cops are happen to be of the same (or similar) demographic to those who work as cops.

The people who are most likely to murder me in descending order;
-myself
-my partner
-cops

This is the second time this month ive had to explain this concept on this website to a bunch of privileged goons. Gotta love seeing people accusing others of being terminally online or whatever, who then cannot understand that people different from themselves have had different experiences in life.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

This is the second time this month ive had to explain this concept on this website to a bunch of privileged goons. Gotta love seeing people accusing others of being terminally online or whatever, who then cannot understand that people different from themselves have had different experiences in life.

people will generally make assumptions about other people they don't personally know based on their own lived experience and/or their immediate circle of family/friends/acquaintances

these assumptions can be quite telling, especially if the person making them isn't all that curious about other people's lived experiences

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't know why they call it hamburger helper, it does just fine by itself

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

:sympathy:

Yeah this is pretty much it. The people who seem to struggle the most to understand how much of a threat cops are happen to be of the same (or similar) demographic to those who work as cops.

The people who are most likely to murder me in descending order;
-myself
-my partner
-cops

You should find a better partner if you have even an inkling about something like that.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I think Jorts is speaking in a statistical sense, not a personal sense.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Burgers with more than one patty are almost always garbage

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

JnnyThndrs posted:

look myabe i WANT to die from a big titty goth milk mommy crushing my head betwen her thighs!!!!

did you ever think of that??? huh???!?!?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't everyone?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JnnyThndrs posted:

Ah OK. I'm high and I get confused easily and worry about people when I'm high.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There are worse traits to gain when high

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well, I also get suuuuuper into movies. Like even if it's a dumb popcorn movie I'll be near tears about how beautiful it is that Chet and Buck both had a defining father/son trip together even though nothing went according to plan. Or how triumphant it is when Uncle Buck flips the giant pancake.

I'm watching John Candy movies today...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Robobot posted:

You should find a better partner if you have even an inkling about something like that.

Sorry to cause worry, I have zero concern that my partner will harm me. I just mean overall, statistically these are my threats.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Burgers with more than one patty are almost always garbage

The mcdouble and double stack are corner stones of human civilization.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If I could be any historical figure, I'd want to be one of those sex workers in San Francisco in the 60s who were paid by the CIA to secretly give their customers LSD for no reason.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

alexandriao posted:

look myabe i WANT to die from a big titty goth milk mommy crushing my head betwen her thighs!!!!

did you ever think of that??? huh???!?!?

Well, now that you put it THAT way….

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I too find people who have never participated in violence talking about how political violence on the streets is in fact good embarassing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the posters from finland or whatever really need to trust us that the police are basically a murderous street gang with the backing of US oligarchy. Great for you though that your cops get nerf guns

finland posters plz do not @me

There was a guy in Finland that was beaten up by 10 cops and the cops were charged, and some were convicted, some were not. The guy was recently sentenced to pay 13000 Euros to some of the cops who were charged but not convicted to compensate for their legal costs.

In the US the guy would have been shot and no charges ever brought so I guess this is better but still pretty poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I too find people who have never participated in violence talking about how political violence on the streets is in fact good embarassing.

I like "the status quo is preferable to civil war" is seen as the privilege of white comfortable liberals, as if civil war violence and devastation wouldn't be vastly targeted towards vulnerable groups. It's an even more rear end in a top hat version of "abandon the red states." Yeah lol for all the minorities in red states I guess. Go civil war!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I mean historically civil war was the greatest liberation of minorities in the US

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Changing the status quo via violence would be bad because the marginalized might be harmed during this change. This would be worse than keeping the status quo, where the marginalized are already harmed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is indeed all very embarrassing

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Byzantine posted:

I mean historically civil war was the greatest liberation of minorities in the US

Civil War 2: Trans Catgirls vs anti-vaxxers

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

doverhog posted:

It's cosmically stupid. It's a bunch of 75 lb people on the internet fantasizing about beating up cops

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Civil War 2: Trans Catgirls vs anti-vaxxers

The Battle Nya of Freedom

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
When violence becomes the means of interaction in a society then it's usually the case the most extremely violent sect eventually wins. (Which, I assume, would be bad for marginalized people- and everyone else too.) I'm not a student of history, I can't back this up exhaustively, but Noam Chomsky is a student of history and I think it's him I'm paraphrasing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Changing the status quo via violence would be bad because the marginalized might be harmed during this change. This would be worse than keeping the status quo, where the marginalized are already harmed.

Yeah it definitely won't get worse with open violence in the streets. Don't respond with "there is already that" because an actual revolution/civil war looks like Syria, and yes, it's far worse, and there is no guarantee that the good guys win.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

silence_kit posted:

It's cosmically stupid. It's a bunch of 75 lb people on the internet fantasizing about beating up cops

You shouldn't project so hard.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Byzantine posted:

That was a state action to stop treason from the southern states, who were attempting to destroy the "United" states by disuniting from the Union and were disobeying federal law.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

indiscriminately posted:

When violence becomes the means of interaction in a society then it's usually the case the most extremely violent sect eventually wins. (Which, I assume, would be bad for marginalized people- and everyone else too.) I'm not a student of history, I can't back this up exhaustively, but Noam Chomsky is a student of history and I think it's him I'm paraphrasing.

Well its funny because I think I started this convo talking about how we should normalize violence against bigots. Like a sucker punch when they go on a tirade so that they at least learn to keep their mouths shut in public. But somehow that has transformed into "you gays will die in the upcoming civil war so you should be happy with what you have. If you say ACAB you're either morbidly obese or anorexic and spend all of your time on twitter".

Edit: oh I misread what you said, you mentioned violence not civil war.

I dunno, violence is already happening in one direction, and its more often than not a crime of passion or opportunity, not planned and organized. Since they fear no retribution from law enforcement, if there was anyone standing up to them they'd probably be less likely to commit these acts of violence. I can't say how many times (back when I was still masculine-presenting) the mere presence of all 6'2 of me de-escalated someone.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Sep 19, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

doverhog posted:

That was a state action to stop treason from the southern states, who were attempting to destroy the "United" states by disuniting from the Union and were disobeying federal law.

And, pray tell, what laws were those?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Some pretty good laws.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What was that quote? In grade school you're taught the Civil War was fought for slavery, then in high school you're taught it was for state's rights, then in college you're taught it was really about slavery again.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The Souths refusal to accept societal change and laws is what caused them to break the union, but it was that act that required war, regardless of what motivated it. States do not have rights except ones granted to them, and those rights can and should be taken away, by violence if necessary.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like "the status quo is preferable to civil war" is seen as the privilege of white comfortable liberals, as if civil war violence and devastation wouldn't be vastly targeted towards vulnerable groups. It's an even more rear end in a top hat version of "abandon the red states." Yeah lol for all the minorities in red states I guess. Go civil war!

It's not like the police are rapidly becoming more and more comfortable with being openly fascistic, labour rights are near non-existent and climate change is set to make things unimaginably worse incredibly soon. We have plenty of time for considered, gradual change. Believe in the system, folks! It'll start working any day now!

Like, I don't know, I don't fantasise about open violence, but I do think it's an increasing real possibility and we need to be prepared for it as living standards crumble further - not just in terms of self-defence from those whose first resort is violence, but building support and communities outside of official ones.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Sep 19, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Well its funny because I think I started this convo talking about how we should normalize violence against bigots. Like a sucker punch when they go on a tirade so that they at least learn to keep their mouths shut in public. But somehow that has transformed into "you gays will die in the upcoming civil war so you should be happy with what you have. If you say ACAB you're either morbidly obese or anorexic and spend all of your time on twitter".

Please don't insinuate I posted stuff like that, or hold those sentiments. I agree with "sucker punch a bigot when they go on a tirade" and if I felt that was the entirety of what was being discussed then I wouldn't have posted.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

indiscriminately posted:

Please don't insinuate I posted stuff like that, or hold those sentiments. I agree with "sucker punch a bigot when they go on a tirade" and if I felt that was the entirety of what was being discussed then I wouldn't have posted.

Oh sorry, I didn't intend to say you did any of that. I meant other people then took my statement to mean something I didn't say, and got really passionate in the defense of the status quo to the point where they were being deliberately obtuse and weirdly body-shaming.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

in the defense of the status quo

No, someone disagreeing with you is not a defense of the status quo. This kind of binary thinking isn't productive, and is a symptom of many mental illnesses.

weirdly body-shaming.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

silence_kit posted:

and is a symptom of many mental illnesses.

Wow, everyone who disagrees with you is mentally ill and have dangerous body weights. What a very strange and convenient coincidence!