Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

alf_pogs posted:

Porter's just been cycled out to replenish his hp, he'll be back in rotation in three or four years

He'll be back after the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lolie posted:

He'll be back after the next election.

At which point the media will write fawning articles about his comeback against the odds, he’s a changed man with a new perspective, rediscovered the importance of both family and public service :barf:

I can practically see the Good Weekend cover story already

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Victoria has given up on Covid zero and is now opening up gradually as vaccination targets are met.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-19/victoria-roadmap-out-of-covid-lockdown-released-dan-andrews/100474302

the ABC posted:

Key points:

Premier Daniel Andrews has warned there will be "very difficult days" ahead for the state's health system

A 70 per cent double-dose vaccination target is projected to be hit on October 26, when hospitality will reopen

Once an 80 per cent double-dose target is hit in November, vaccinated people will be allowed into more venues

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its kind of hard not to see that coming. Vic just barely pulled out of last years lockdown and that was with just plain old Corona original. I cant really see anything going well from here.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I think we could have done it if we didn't share a border with NSW. Without the several delta outbreaks started by removalists from NSW we would have had a much better chance.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Urcher posted:

Victoria has given up on Covid zero and is now opening up gradually as vaccination targets are met.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-19/victoria-roadmap-out-of-covid-lockdown-released-dan-andrews/100474302

Thaddys

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Urcher posted:

They said they were no longer pursuing covid zero a couple of weeks back. The real shocker today was the models showing that Melbourne's worst case scenario could be worse than Sydney's worst case scenario (although right now it's not looking like Sydney will reach those numbers).

It will be interesting to see how the Sydney experience affects the Melbourne plan.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lolie posted:

Media is reporting that NSW will allow outdoor public pools to open, even in spicy suburbs.

Guardian analysis shows NSW could hit 70% double dose as early as 29 September. Gladys had better get a wriggle on and let people know if the promised lifting of restrictions isn't happening because announcing that at the eleventh hour will be political suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...new-cases-today

That's cool. I'll only be ~2.5 months away from an effective double dose of vaccine at that point.

I'll likely be fine (even though if I ever catch COVID I am definitely dead) because I'm a shut-in with a respirator who will literally only leave the house to get the vax when we open up. What worries me is that if my vax appointment is that far out, other people are also going to have appointments that far out, people who can't just bunker down every day. Plus the children.

Gonna be fun hearing about a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" when the unvaccinated includes every child and a bunch of people who missed out because there wasn't enough supply to get the jab to them in time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Urcher posted:

I think we could have done it if we didn't share a border with NSW. Without the several delta outbreaks started by removalists from NSW we would have had a much better chance.

We'd probably still have had a string of quarantine hotel outbreaks though til one blows up.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Phigs posted:

That's cool. I'll only be ~2.5 months away from an effective double dose of vaccine at that point.

I'll likely be fine (even though if I ever catch COVID I am definitely dead) because I'm a shut-in with a respirator who will literally only leave the house to get the vax when we open up. What worries me is that if my vax appointment is that far out, other people are also going to have appointments that far out, people who can't just bunker down every day. Plus the children.

Gonna be fun hearing about a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" when the unvaccinated includes every child and a bunch of people who missed out because there wasn't enough supply to get the jab to them in time.

Dan was saying today that Moderna was going into community pharmacies so maybe check that out as an option for getting vaxxed quicker? I think he may have been talking all over Aust and not just Vic, but not sure.

Moderna also seems like it's more effective than the others so far and doesn't suffer fro mthe same drop off from 120days as pfiizer?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imo it’s extremely good and smart that we are timing opening up with when the 1a healthcare workers Pfizer effectiveness will be seriously tailing off, and no solid plan for boosters.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Synthbuttrange posted:

We'd probably still have had a string of quarantine hotel outbreaks though til one blows up.

And until we had a significant outbreak Scotty wouldn't have done anything to increase the supply of vaccines.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Phigs posted:

That's cool. I'll only be ~2.5 months away from an effective double dose of vaccine

Check out this website: covidnearme.com.au

My friend was able to bring his second jab forward by contacting one of those places. Instead of Oct 31 he’s now Oct 10.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Halo14 posted:

Check out this website: covidnearme.com.au

My friend was able to bring his second jab forward by contacting one of those places. Instead of Oct 31 he’s now Oct 10.

The only faster ones in range of me are the AZ ones and I don't know if that's a good idea. My vasculature is all hosed up so the second I hear blood clot I nope out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
OK keep checking it each day as it can change. Look after yourself.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Phigs posted:

The only faster ones in range of me are the AZ ones and I don't know if that's a good idea. My vasculature is all hosed up so the second I hear blood clot I nope out.

There are specific things that they screen for, it's worthwhile checking with your doctor to see if it might cause issues with you. Also, Moderna is coming next? week.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Check this site for appointments for specific vaccines in your area: https://covid19nearme.com.au/state/wa/vaccination?availability=today

That URL will get you info for WA, I'm not sure where you are, adjust appropriately.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lolie posted:

They said they were no longer pursuing covid zero a couple of weeks back. The real shocker today was the models showing that Melbourne's worst case scenario could be worse than Sydney's worst case scenario (although right now it's not looking like Sydney will reach those numbers).

It will be interesting to see how the Sydney experience affects the Melbourne plan.

The good news is those models are by the Burnet Institute, so you can disregard them immediately.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Countdown to mega fuckhead millionaire claiming the donation and how they just wanted to remain anonymous in this highly charged pc gone mad hell world where anyone can be forced to stand down at the merest accusation.

I reckon that party reached out and tapped some donors to put together the fund and then kept the details from Porter so he had deniability.

The party has form - https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-party-backers-were-approached-to-buy-senator-arthur-sinodinos-a-home-20160325-gnraih.html - looking to buy Sinodinos a house so he could live the eastern suburbs liberal party lifestyle he was entitled to.

The donors were probably asked to fess up and said "LOL nope, not without all the details being public" and then Porter got the tap on the shoulder.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for August:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

With the sub deal how would going with the French subs be playing to China's hand? Why is the us going on about that?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ilmucche posted:

With the sub deal how would going with the French subs be playing to China's hand? Why is the us going on about that?

I think they just got confused about OuiChat

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wiggles always coming

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for August:

hell tomorrow

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Solemn Sloth posted:

imo it’s extremely good and smart that we are timing opening up with when the 1a healthcare workers Pfizer effectiveness will be seriously tailing off, and no solid plan for boosters.

This is some pretty serious fear-mongering. Pfizer effectiveness reduces against transmission, yes, but maintains its effectiveness against serious disease and death.

The Melbourne roadmap is completely reasonable and I've yet to see a realistic alternative..

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Staying closed forever is smart and reasonable even with 100% vaccination

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for August:

You can always trust Tasmania to sum up the current state of Australia in two words or less.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

StrangeThing posted:

The Melbourne roadmap is completely reasonable and I've yet to see a realistic alternative..

It's being criticised for the same reason the Sydney roadmap gets criticised - there's no roadmap back to 2019 because we can't make covid vanish. People don't want to accept that it's with us for the foreseeable future and that what worked against it in 2020 will not work against it in 2021 and beyond.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrangeThing posted:

This is some pretty serious fear-mongering. Pfizer effectiveness reduces against transmission, yes, but maintains its effectiveness against serious disease and death.

Yeah they were talking about this on twiv recently. They can measure a decline in antibodies of one kind but no real change in outcomes of hospitalisation and death. The booster issue is debated among legitimate scientists.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lolie posted:

It's being criticised for the same reason the Sydney roadmap gets criticised - there's no roadmap back to 2019 because we can't make covid vanish. People don't want to accept that it's with us for the foreseeable future and that what worked against it in 2020 will not work against it in 2021 and beyond.

"But China did it", etc.

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah they were talking about this on twiv recently. They can measure a decline in antibodies of one kind but no real change in outcomes of hospitalisation and death. The booster issue is debated among legitimate scientists.

Exactly, and the data from Israel was extremely "messy" in that it's hard to tease out how much of the wane in effectiveness was due to certain age groups, etc. We simply do not know enough about it - other than that we know Pfizer vaccines retain their effectiveness against serious disease. That's good!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arms race
buys subs
world fukt

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ad for UAP at the bottom of the front page of the Herald Sun. Abolish the states, national and regional government only. :hmmyes:

Honestly surprised even a poo poo wad like the Herald Sun runs these ads.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ad for UAP at the bottom of the front page of the Herald Sun. Abolish the states, national and regional government only. :hmmyes:

Honestly surprised even a poo poo wad like the Herald Sun runs these ads.

gently caress UAP but until the pandemic "abolish the states" was 100% a left-wing policy belief

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

"But China did it", etc.

Exactly, and the data from Israel was extremely "messy" in that it's hard to tease out how much of the wane in effectiveness was due to certain age groups, etc. We simply do not know enough about it - other than that we know Pfizer vaccines retain their effectiveness against serious disease. That's good!

How about Astrazeneca? I got my first shot a day before the initial disallowment for under 40s and since had my second shot, but won't likely be able to access Pfizer until Australia has its booster plans sorted whenever that is.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Breetai posted:

How about Astrazeneca? I got my first shot a day before the initial disallowment for under 40s and since had my second shot, but won't likely be able to access Pfizer until Australia has its booster plans sorted whenever that is.

We seem to have ordered plenty of mRNA vaccines for next year and I haven't heard of any plans to use AZ as either a third dose or a booster. Early reports were that people whose first two doses were AZ would be given Pfizer or Moderna for dose 3.

It would not surprise me if we take the middle ground and third doses are only rolled out for 1A/1B initially. My next consult with my haematologist is in a few weeks and it will be interesting to hear what she has to say about the ongoing plan.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

Same deal as the mrnas, it remains effective at preventing serious disease

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Breetai posted:

There is no evidence that AZ recipients experience waning immunity.

Lolie posted:

We seem to have ordered plenty of mRNA vaccines for next year and I haven't heard of any plans to use AZ as either a third dose or a booster. Early reports were that people whose first two doses were AZ would be given Pfizer or Moderna for dose 3.

It would not surprise me if we take the middle ground and third doses are only rolled out for 1A/1B initially. My next consult with my haematologist is in a few weeks and it will be interesting to hear what she has to say about the ongoing plan.

Yeah.

And again, when we say "waning immunity", we're talking about going from like, 90+% effective to something like 77% for transmission only.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Has the government said anything about how this is going to play out with TTI? Like, if the goal is now to "live with" COVID, recording thousands of cases a day but very few deaths, presumably at some point we're going to put a pin in the whole contract tracing apparatus and no longer require people to isolate if they test positive. Or even get tested at all.

Lolie posted:

I foresee two potential outcomes in the next 2-3 years:

Good outcome - scientists come up with a sterilising vaccine, elimination via vaccination is now on the table, COVID reduced to measles or polio level of circulation
Bad outcome - global mass vaccination against original strain and Delta but opening back up and letting it circulate asymptomatically results in a spicy new vaccine-resistant variant and the world finds itself back at square one with lockdowns and border closures etc.

I think I find both of these more plausible than the "COVID is here to stay but vaccines make it OK" status quo, because neither vaccine research nor the virus' evolution have come to a standstill.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm feeling a whole lot less imminently deathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Has the government said anything about how this is going to play out with TTI? Like, if the goal is now to "live with" COVID, recording thousands of cases a day but very few deaths, presumably at some point we're going to put a pin in the whole contract tracing apparatus and no longer require people to isolate if they test positive. Or even get tested at all.

I foresee two potential outcomes in the next 2-3 years:

Good outcome - scientists come up with a sterilising vaccine, elimination via vaccination is now on the table, COVID reduced to measles or polio level of circulation
Bad outcome - global mass vaccination against original strain and Delta but opening back up and letting it circulate asymptomatically results in a spicy new vaccine-resistant variant and the world finds itself back at square one with lockdowns and border closures etc.

I think I find both of these more plausible than the "COVID is here to stay but vaccines make it OK" status quo, because neither vaccine research nor the virus' evolution have come to a standstill.

It took 20-50 years to reduce measles or polio to negligible levels (depending on the country), and it's questionable whether we would be able to run a more successful vaccination program now given the herculean effort most of the world has to get to relatively pitiful 70% vaccination coverage. The good outcome here is indistinguishable from 'Covid is here to stay but vaccines make it ok' for a long time.

The bad outcome is what is going to happen but it's unlikely to be back to 'square one' as vaccine resistant variants are unlikely to be 100% resistant and there will be some preexisting coverage. We will probably have long term repeating lockdowns and border closures as vaccine resistant variants emerge but with a general trend towards reducing in length and severity each year (also as people get more desensitised to mass covid death)

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2021