Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kinda like him. I hope they fix all the broken lines, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Same VA as the ascended crusader vampire robot from Endless Space 2. Come to think of it, he had a very similar approach in that game too. "Thankyou for the donation. Your generosity- or self interest- is noted."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Did they put out a new patch? My starting religion choices were completely different (polytheism is now +5 per main plaza, and shamanism is +1 per territory); my influence costs were different for colonies (suddenly much higher, even after the civic that made them half price); and I saw a huge number of civics, like nearly a dozen in the early game when I’m used to seeing maybe four.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yep.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Absolutely in love with the soundtrack. Im listening to the music from the game nearly every day, more often than I'm actually playing the game.

Arnaud Roy, synthesizer god, is on spotify, as is the Soundtrack for this and other Amplitude games. You'll definitely recognize the tunes if you've been playing the game at all, but they really come to life outside the game IMO. "Hidden Soul" is crushingly beautiful, especially after the 3 min mark. THAT FRENCH HORN UGH.

For those who glom on to the music as much as i have, they also have live session recordings filmed with the composer playing in the orchestra on youtube. Arnaud plays harp, percussive stringed instruments (uhhh.... sitar something maybe?) and drums.

Also if thats not enough, searching "Humankind Orchestra" on spotify gets you a 4 volume set of sketches, songs, concepts and themes that seem to run along eras and civs. Absolutely fascinating to me. Arnaud has been a favorite of mine since ES1 and even though there's no synthesizer in this that I've heard, he's got enough chops to arrange a small orchestra to sound just as compelling as his synth based music.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tree Bucket posted:

War Support is one of those things that will make it reeeeeally hard to go back to Civ.

War Support blows, might makes right and trying to do anything else is just compensating for a broken system.
Last night I was trying to conquer a city and so to gain support I demanded they change religion, they demanded an outpost from me. Eventually their support got to 100, mine was around 55, so war had to be declared. Fine, whatever. I've got my army of elephants vs their basically neolithic era units. But I couldn't go to the next turn until I surrendered. There was no other option. Just a dumb forced surrender with thousands of gold of grievances or giving up tons of territory. Their "war score" was 210 vs my 150, so what the gently caress? They had no army so why do I give a gently caress about their "war score."

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

War Support blows, might makes right and trying to do anything else is just compensating for a broken system.
Last night I was trying to conquer a city and so to gain support I demanded they change religion, they demanded an outpost from me. Eventually their support got to 100, mine was around 55, so war had to be declared. Fine, whatever. I've got my army of elephants vs their basically neolithic era units. But I couldn't go to the next turn until I surrendered. There was no other option. Just a dumb forced surrender with thousands of gold of grievances or giving up tons of territory. Their "war score" was 210 vs my 150, so what the gently caress? They had no army so why do I give a gently caress about their "war score."

You should have rejected their demand of the outpost.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That all happened in one turn, so ill reload an autosave and reject their demands and see what happens.

Can someone break down how the war score and demands work?

fnox
May 19, 2013

M-m-megacity.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Walh Hara posted:

You should have rejected their demand of the outpost.

This didn't work. I don't have the option to reject the demand. So if I go to war, it's an auto surrender. If I capture the city, it's still an auto-surrender. If I demand to convert to my religion, they reject the demand and then my only option is to withdraw my demand, or I have to go to war which is an auto-surrender for me. The thing is I don't even mind the idea of an auto-surrender, but they need to have a military unit to enforce that somehow (That I can destroy which should destroy their war score.) Otherwise it's just magic mechanic that make military units not do anything.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I'm under the understanding that only going to 0 war support should force you to surrender... is this not so?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fnox posted:

M-m-megacity.

This should only be possible if you go full legal/authoritarian to unlock Judges.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This didn't work. I don't have the option to reject the demand. So if I go to war, it's an auto surrender. If I capture the city, it's still an auto-surrender. If I demand to convert to my religion, they reject the demand and then my only option is to withdraw my demand, or I have to go to war which is an auto-surrender for me. The thing is I don't even mind the idea of an auto-surrender, but they need to have a military unit to enforce that somehow (That I can destroy which should destroy their war score.) Otherwise it's just magic mechanic that make military units not do anything.

This sounds like a bug. Can you upload the save file to Megaupload or something?

I like the military score mechanic because it makes sense that your people won't support a sudden declaration of war against a beloved ally. But it would be nice if you could resolve the late-game "you're a communist!" grievances with changing your civics instead of the only choices being "annex my land" or "gently caress you".

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 19, 2021

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

fnox posted:

M-m-megacity.

:banjo:
I was born anywhere in the world,
and I didn't have to go anywhere.
That's how I got to Memphis.
That's how I got tooo Memphis.
:banjo:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

fnox posted:

M-m-megacity.

Too much countryside too little urbanization smh.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Yeah so my empire that consists of one single city that spans loving 100 territories. Outside of the French wastelands, it's a pretty technocratic social democracy. Patronage is so hosed I don't have to remotely turn to autocracy, and after I found out I can get a policy to just buy territory, I expanded to span the entire world.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I would also like a good breakdown of war support. I've played stellaris like crazy so the concept "makes sense" to me on a base level, but i don't quite get the point. Is it to make wars unattractive for some playstyles? Is it measuring hatred?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

down1nit posted:

I would also like a good breakdown of war support. I've played stellaris like crazy so the concept "makes sense" to me on a base level, but i don't quite get the point. Is it to make wars unattractive for some playstyles? Is it measuring hatred?

They said something about it's to prevent defeating other factions through war because they didn't like that aspect in Civ. So you basically only get what you ask for at the start of the war. So if you don't or can't ask for anything/what you want, then you basically get nothing of value from a war and can lose what you gained.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Half of Dracula posted:

I'm under the understanding that only going to 0 war support should force you to surrender... is this not so?

I'm not at zero war support though. I'm at 55.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chamale posted:

This sounds like a bug. Can you upload the save file to Megaupload or something?

I like the military score mechanic because it makes sense that your people won't support a sudden declaration of war against a beloved ally. But it would be nice if you could resolve the late-game "you're a communist!" grievances with changing your civics instead of the only choices being "annex my land" or "gently caress you".
This should work. I'm the Khmer at turn 110. I'm not at war yet, but if I make a demand (I only have one I can make) they will reject it and then I have to withdraw my demand. If I go to war, then I can only propose a white peace (which they will reject), or offer surrender. I can't progress the turn until I do either of those.

Save Game, Khmer turn 110

Here is a screen shot showing I can't reject the demand:

This is what happens if I make a demand.

If I don't withdraw my demands there, it's auto-surrender town

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

This should work. I'm the Khmer at turn 110. I'm not at war yet, but if I make a demand (I only have one I can make) they will reject it and then I have to withdraw my demand. If I go to war, then I can only propose a white peace (which they will reject), or offer surrender. I can't progress the turn until I do either of those.

Save Game, Khmer turn 110

Here is a screen shot showing I can't reject the demand:

This is what happens if I make a demand.

If I don't withdraw my demands there, it's auto-surrender town

It's a UI bug. Go into ESC > Settings > UI. Look for "Enable Mandatories" and disable it, exit menu. You can then reenable mandatories because for some reason the message was stuck on the war screen when the AI refused your demand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

down1nit posted:

It measures hatred, bloodthirstiness, and war weariness. Some of the religious tenets and empire civics change how much you gain war support - Imperialist empires get +18 War Support for winning a battle, but Anti-Imperialist empires get +28 War Support if they win a battle against an empire with the Imperialist civic. Having demands that are going ignored makes your War Support slowly go up. When a demand is rejected outright, it must be withdrawn (granting a one-time War Support boost), or it can lead to declaring war. Once war is declared, making peace means both sides have to agree to withdraw all their demands, or you can surrender and let your opponent have everything they demanded at the start of the war.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I have made Megacity so big that it crashed my save. I guess don't try to make a city that holds over 100 territories.

This is what it got to before the save. It's far too big to show in one picture but picture essentially a huge map spanning 5 continents of which 4 are a city and the remaining one is half part of it too.

fnox fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 20, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I feel like you should probably start losing more than one pop a turn if you hit minus 39 thousand food per turn.

I'm pretty sure you should have lost around 670 population in that turn, if the game were treating it sanely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Veryslightlymad posted:

I feel like you should probably start losing more than one pop a turn if you hit minus 39 thousand food per turn.

I'm pretty sure you should have lost around 670 population in that turn, if the game were treating it sanely.

I think at that point Judge Dredd starts controlling things, so it's up to him really.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

The truly bizarre part is, I got to that level of population by merging Megacity-2 and 3 with Megacity-1. All of which had huge food surpluses. Somehow the merge of all these territories resulted in a food deficit which I can't explain, particularly since, as it is all now the capital, it would be benefiting from the % bonuses that wonders give. It's also baffling that my stability would stay at 100% in that case, although I do own literally every resource and have patronage on them all.

I mean, I guess having a central plan for a city that stretches over oceans and continents ought to result in inefficient resource allocation, but I don't think the game is smart enough to consider that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Food consumption = 0.1 * P2 + 8 * P

where P is population, it's very much an exponential curve, 10 people consume 90 food, 100 people consume 1800 food, 1000 people consume 108k food

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think there is something messed up about the food calculation with merging. Like sometimes adding an outpost will completely tank your food supply even if it had hardly any pops.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Magil Zeal posted:

There was that video where Spiffing Brit put all the holy sites in one city, builds Ankor Wat in that city, and then spammed Holy Day for +5 faith on every holy site. I want to do that and put Machu Pichu in the same city, which should hopefully feed every city. Though I always had trouble finding the food bonus from Machu Pichu in tooltips, I feel like I must've been blind because I could never figure out how much food I got from it.

I think Machu Pichu is bugged, I couldn’t find the food from it anywhere. I think it gives all cities like 10 food or nothing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Truga posted:

where P is population, it's very much an exponential curve, 10 people consume 90 food, 100 people consume 1800 food, 1000 people consume 108k food

Also, unemployed workers consume extra food, right? I assume this is meant to represents people starving because they can't afford to eat.

teardrop posted:

I think Machu Pichu is bugged, I couldn’t find the food from it anywhere. I think it gives all cities like 10 food or nothing.

It takes half the excess food in Machu Picchu's city and distributes it equally to all the other cities. Unlike Civilization, it doesn't create extra food out of thin air.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

However, Ankor Wat does. Ankor Wat + faith is a lot of free food.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Aside from not having an exponential term and clearly being polynomial, sure.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Staltran posted:

Aside from not having an exponential term and clearly being polynomial, sure.

What are you talking about, there is an exponent right there. :v:

fnox
May 19, 2013

Truga posted:

Huh.

Then it's that the two mechanics don't make sense together even if they make sense separately. It makes sense that a city that is 20 pop combined with one that is 10 results in a city that is 30 pop. It makes sense for food requirements to ramp up as population grows higher, so you don't end up with giant cities by just linearly scaling your food supply.

It doesn't make sense for two cities that come together to have 30 pop suddenly end up with a food deficit, despite the food amount remaining constant. I think the most sensible fix would be for you to not go into the negatives.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah that’s dumb. I’ve always thought games like this should have some mechanism of showing rural areas shifting food to urban areas, like trade routes in civ 6 or the convoys from civ 4. It’s silly that New York would be starving while Nebraska is doubling in population every year.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
actually it's good game design. you have to decide whether you're gonna go over the city cap (doable to a point with good influence income), or merge some cities/outposts and make bigger cities that are somewhat less efficient than 2 smaller ones

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How is the influence cost of merging cities calculated? Can it be lowered? I absorbed an independent city to see what would happen, but now I'd really like that extra city slot back... and really don't want to pay 17K influence to do so.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so uh, they've introduced some new bugs since I last played I guess? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

skeleton warrior posted:

Did they put out a new patch? My starting religion choices were completely different (polytheism is now +5 per main plaza, and shamanism is +1 per territory); my influence costs were different for colonies (suddenly much higher, even after the civic that made them half price); and I saw a huge number of civics, like nearly a dozen in the early game when I’m used to seeing maybe four.

The influence costs for building outposts in the early game seem to have changed too? If you build a second outpost before advancing to the Ancient period it seems to be 20 influence, but in the Ancient period it suddenly costs 61. This makes it much harder to just grab territories early, so I've had games where I end up with several independent cities next to my lands, and then they proceed to gently caress up my poo poo. Getting my outposts razed by the AI hurts a lot when the cost to build them is that high. It seems like the AI is now more aggressive than before and I'm contemplating going back down a difficulty level (from Nation or whatever it's called).