Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Wow, everyone who disagrees with you is mentally ill

That's not what I said.

I'm being serious here--if you have a consistent pattern of thinking that everything is morally black and white, that's called 'splitting' and is a symptom of depression and other mental illnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

silence_kit posted:

That's not what I said.

I'm being serious here--if you have a consistent pattern of thinking that everything is morally black and white, that's called 'splitting' and is a symptom of depression and other mental illnesses.

What mental illness is it when you say poo poo like this

silence_kit posted:

It's cosmically stupid. It's a bunch of 75 lb people on the internet fantasizing about beating up cops

silence_kit posted:

"Posters on this website are statistically likely to be out-of-shape

silence_kit posted:

This kind of binary thinking isn't productive, and is a symptom of many mental illnesses.

I'd be curious to see your degree, since you seem to be doing a lot of diagnosis.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

silence_kit posted:

That's not what I said.

You know, I doubt that the majority of the people in this argument have borderline personality disorder or the like

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

silence_kit posted:

No, someone disagreeing with you is not a defense of the status quo. This kind of binary thinking isn't productive, and is a symptom of many mental illnesses.

folks: we can't rely on the society we live in to provide us with support and protection we need, we need to organise and find a way to defend ourselves
you, a genius: look at this Crazy Fat/Thin Person right here, how pathetically they crave violence they definitely aren't capable of :smug: i know that because i'm clever. i also know that society is in fact Good, because it works for me, and if it doesn't work for anyone else, it's their own fault :smug:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

You know, I doubt that the majority of the people in this argument have borderline personality disorder or the like

The majority of posters on SA who post violent fantasies about killing cops/billionaires/the bad guys du joir probably have depression.

There’s a reason why mental health/suicide hotline numbers are listed in sticky threads on the politics forums of this website.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The main character is a man, an expert [whatever], and he is divorced or divorcing because that makes him an interesting character! is the worst American movie cliche.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

silence_kit posted:

The majority of posters on SA who post violent fantasies about killing cops/billionaires/the bad guys du joir probably have depression.

There’s a reason why mental health/suicide hotline numbers are listed in sticky threads on the politics forums of this website.

I think we're just fantasizing about you logging off at this point

vv lmao yeah don't do anything about the weird gaslighting thing

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Sep 19, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This conversation’s at a dead end, just move on please.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

New PHUO: I don't see what the big deal is about hardwood floors. I mean, it's a nice enough flooring choice, but I don't get what makes so many people go so bonkers for it. (Or why these same people all seem to think that wood paneling, which is the exact same thing except vertical, is dated and tacky.)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
id like to live in a house with hardwood floors, hardwood walls and hardwood ceiling. the more hardwood the better. furniture can be hardwood too

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Powered Descent posted:

New PHUO: I don't see what the big deal is about hardwood floors. I mean, it's a nice enough flooring choice, but I don't get what makes so many people go so bonkers for it. (Or why these same people all seem to think that wood paneling, which is the exact same thing except vertical, is dated and tacky.)

Beat up the wood on the walls, whitewash it, and hang it sideways, and it’s shiplap and trendy again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
A log cabin is the ideal form of a house. Go right to the source of wood: a log. Why cut it up into "two by fours" or whatever, just put the log in there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People who upload anime clips to Youtube with "joke subs" should be sentenced to hard labor for a year.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

phuo: if you have a bad experience, you shouldn't let that get in the way of you defending or accomodating minorities. it's your responsibility to get past that issue.

phuo: if you're disagreeing with minorities about poo poo there's a fair chance that it's because it's due to a difference in perspective, so it's your job to take a breath, step back and go "huh, ok, what are they seeing that I am not", rather than continuing to poo poo all over them. when you go the next level and start insulting them you have your "ally" status revoked immediately, regardless of your history, because in that moment you chose to actively poo poo on people who already have to deal with way more than you do, rather than actually learn something for a change.

edit: The phuos are wider things im sick to death of.

Also vvvvvvvvv
I really really hope that person gets a probe for immediately jumping to "you are mentally ill and therefore all your points are wrong". Like it comes down to what atmosphere you want the forums to have and how safe you want them to be for minorities.

Like if every time a minority states something that is pretty loving obvious (to most people within that minority), they get called mentally ill, then this isn't exactly a welcoming space is it.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Sep 20, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Concern trolling people by telling them they have a mental disorder, then telling them they have an additional mental disorder when they call you out for it is pretty loving beyond the pale

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Powered Descent posted:

agreed. carpet is roughly 1000x better, especially if you live in a colder climate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Inferior to Hamburger Helper, declares tastemaker Gaius Marius.

I've never had Hamburger Helper in my life.

Muscle Tracer posted:

how do you feel about noodle dishes from, say, Thailand or Japan?

It really depends on the dish. But I think asian dishes usually stand up better than Western noodle dishes. Exceptions being anything with peanuts or coconut milk which are disgusting.

I dunno I think asian dishes are more focused on the noodles as an intrinsic component of the dish, whereas Western ones it's more of an accompagnent

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

It really depends on the dish. But I think asian dishes usually stand up better than Western noodle dishes. Exceptions being anything with peanuts or coconut milk which are disgusting.

I dunno I think asian dishes are more focused on the noodles as an intrinsic component of the dish, whereas Western ones it's more of an accompagnent
I really hope there's someone in Japan posting on a forum something like "While the various ramen restaurants offer some alright, or even good in a few cases, noodle dishes, you haven't truly had noodles until you've had a chicken and mushroom flavour Pot Noodle."

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Wood's harder wearing and (can if it's good wood) also hold up visually over a long period of time. A thirty year old wood floor still looks nice, and if it doesn't it can get back to looking nice with a bit of cleanup, while thirty year old carpeting is 'this is the first thing that's getting torn out' territory.

Also carpets are a bitch for cleaning.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Carpets are like rugs but bad.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Anyone who’s had to remove carpeting knows the poo poo is absolutely disgusting - you’re basically living in your own filth. You can try to be careful and vacuum often and get it professionally cleaned, but it’s still nasty. Dogs and children make it 1000x worse.

That said, I can still see why someone might want it in bedrooms, it’s vnice to walk on in bare feet in the winter.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Muscle Tracer posted:

agreed. carpet is roughly 1000x better, especially if you live in a colder climate.

wooden floors if someone is sick on them or spills poo poo on them it's easy to deal with

less so for carpet

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rugs are like carpets except you can change them on a whim

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

alexandriao posted:

I really really hope that person gets a probe

lol oh my god. You can't even handle someone on the internet being dismissive about your opinions without tattling to the e-authorities

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

silence_kit posted:

lol oh my god. You can't even handle someone on the internet being dismissive about your opinions without tattling to the e-authorities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like wood, but the stuff I have in my room keeps fracturing when you put anything with wheels on it, which is bad considering my desk and chair.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

silence_kit posted:

you can't handle someone on the internet being dismissive of your opinions without calling them mentally-ill, which is arguably worse

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
so much for only trust your fists

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've never gotten a splinter in my foot from walking on carpet.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

silence_kit posted:

Do you think mods and the police are the same thing? Holy loving poo poo, don't answer that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wood and carpet are both better than tile

"Spanish style" houses with stucco walls and large tile floors look like absolute poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docbeard posted:

I've never gotten a splinter in my foot from walking on carpet.

I've never gotten a splinter in my foot from walking on plank.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Floors should just be bare finished concrete or tile in places where there's water like bathrooms and kitchens.

People in cold climates should just suffer for their poor fortune of being born in a frozen hellscape.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never gotten a splinter in my foot from walking on plank.

I lived in a really lovely apartment for a while.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

docbeard posted:

I lived in a really lovely apartment for a while.

Can you imagine how disgusting that place would ahve been with carpet? Good thing you had wood floors.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

getting a splinter from my own floor would be such a fuckin betrayal

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
ph(maybe)uo, i dunno: hardwood floor + rug is the superior option for interior decoration. throw in some cool tastefully-mismatching furniture, loads of weird and useless but interesting stuff everywhere, dimmed warm lighting (please no loving led strips) and faded, muted wallpaper for extra points

also ph(maybe)uo: i hate hate hate the trend in modern interior design where you have large empty rooms with white walls and minimal furniture. minimalism sucks in general. led lights and led strips suck too, and i don't know why people insist on having their PCs and random bits of furniture being highlighted by sharp blue/violet glow at all times

nurmie has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Sep 20, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Knock it off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

getting a splinter from my own floor would be such a fuckin betrayal

You literally walk all over it like a goddamn doormat when all it's trying to do is support you day in and day out. Then it lashes out once and it's suddenly a betrayal of your trust? Sorry buddy your the toxic partner in this relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

silence_kit posted:

I mean I didn't report you until you posted this. You're my second report in my 3 years on this site

Josef bugman posted:

I like wood, but the stuff I have in my room keeps fracturing when you put anything with wheels on it, which is bad considering my desk and chair.

Maybe run some oil over it as long as that won't strip the varnish. If it's splintering then it's probably drying out I think? IANATS (i am not a tree surgeon)

nurmie posted:

led lights and led strips suck too, and i don't know why people insist on having their PCs and random bits of furniture being highlighted by sharp blue/violet glow at all times

You uhhhh. You know LED lights can do warm colours now right. They can do any colour and almost match the previous bulbs, except you can turn them brighter / lower when needed and also they take like a fraction of the energy cost