Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it's really simple. if someone posts something stupid and crazy then it should be called stupid and crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is something that also crumbles apart the minute you pick it up to look at. It's comparing a scene in FF6 where the characters are onstage in an opera and also fighting in the rafters above, to a level in Bloodborne. The Bloodborne level is in a hall of research where experiments were being conducted on unwilling patients. It's not structured like an opera or an open stage, it's a 3-floor tower ringed with shelves full of books and chemicals and escaped patients with bloated heads screeching and ambling around. It's overlooking the boss door (the boss immediately behind it is not Maria though, there's another boss gating Maria's own boss arena) as many levels in the games are structured to do, but the Souls games love inserting at least one sequence where you have to cross narrow rafters or ledges while enemies harass you, and where your greatest danger is fall damage. You could point to how that level in Bloodborne is very similar in and of itself to levels in multiple other FromSoft games that are also libraries, prisons, or research halls full of escaped prisoners or subjects, but it's only in the most broadest terms related to the FF6 sequence. By that logic you could also draw parallels to Kingdom Hearts or Thief probably a half dozen Assassin's Creed games.

It's clearly a reference to that part in Chrono Trigger where you have to chase a rat around on some metal rafters! I mean, obviously. :colbert:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's all a reference to my rear end, the most prominent inspiration in all of gaming

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's all a reference to my rear end, the most prominent inspiration in all of gaming

Big if true

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Getting big "Calling cascadebeta barney is transphobic" vibes from the defense of the weird video game theory goon.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
brb designing a sprawling series of successful jrpgs and seeding them with some vague references to some nefarious plot or nonexistent shadowy person, for the sole purpose of denying the existence of these references and thus driving a particular kind of gamer mad as they connect the dots but no one believes them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's clearly a reference to that part in Chrono Trigger where you have to chase a rat around on some metal rafters! I mean, obviously. :colbert:

I do want to be fair that the Soulsborne games do like making obvious reference to random poo poo sometimes. Like of course Berserk is everywhere in them, but DS1 has references to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and loving Leeroy Jenkins in it of all things. The games encourage and enable a lot of red-string corkboard conspiratorial speculation about what is and isn't a reference to this or that. You can certainly find more frothing Soulsborne lore speculation on Youtube in like 60 seconds. Inferring the existence of IRL people from the negative space around a game is where it gets kind of uncomfortable to me.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't find any of it dangerous or uncomfortable or whatever like some of you do, it's just godamned hilarious and crazy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nurmie posted:

brb designing a sprawling series of successful jrpgs and seeding them with some vague references to some nefarious plot or nonexistent shadowy person, for the sole purpose of denying the existence of these references and thus driving a particular kind of gamer mad as they connect the dots but no one believes them

Toby fox alt spotted

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
im loving insane myself so i give everyone permission to generally agree that it's a little nuts to think all videogames are connected by a mysterious figure, the queen of videogames

e: at a certain point people might have to be permitted to call a spade a spade here, like the guy in e/n who kept trying to get people to talk to him about his metal gear solid real life conspiracy theory or whatever

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I do want to be fair that the Soulsborne games do like making obvious reference to random poo poo sometimes. Like of course Berserk is everywhere in them, but DS1 has references to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and loving Leeroy Jenkins in it of all things. The games encourage and enable a lot of red-string corkboard conspiratorial speculation about what is and isn't a reference to this or that. You can certainly find more frothing Soulsborne lore speculation on Youtube in like 60 seconds. Inferring the existence of IRL people from the negative space around a game is where it gets kind of uncomfortable to me.

I could actually legitimately buy it was a sort of reference to that bit in CT, yeah. And that's my sticking point, too. Making up a whole entire person and claiming they were written out of history is....gross in a few ways. Even ignoring just shoving all the other trans people in the industry aside, it's painting an entire company as malevolently acting towards this supposed person with absolutely no evidence that 1) They even were real in the first play and 2) they were treated as such beyond some corkboard conspiracy string drawing stuff. Like these are real existing people they are tarring for no good reason.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It is my belief that the greater Bethesda/Obsidian/Black Isle gaming universe is a tribute/tomb to an unknown creator named, "John" or "Jonathan" who never got to see their vision to completion.

As the narrator says "war, war never changes" (Here, I take "war" to be a reference to development because of the term "creative destruction" which appears in European folklore and economics.) By saying the development never changes, this is a veiled reference to a suspended production process.

Furthermore, in Skyrim, a time traveling dragon teaches you TIID KLO UL, the time-slowing shout which echoes the shouting of Jon (see, there's that name again) Irenicus in Baldur's Gate. The wiki entry for Irenicus says he, "was at one time the most powerful elven wizard of Suldanessellar." (emphasis added).

Consider the repeated motifs of "time" or clocks in all games. I think that clocks were an important part of "John"s oeuvre.

Also, many of the connected series feature card-playing mini games.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

^^ lmfao
also i have a phd in fromsoft so no one can tell me anything

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

It is my belief that the greater Bethesda/Obsidian/Black Isle gaming universe is a tribute/tomb to an unknown creator named, "John" or "Jonathan" who never got to see their vision to completion.

As the narrator says "war, war never changes" (Here, I take "war" to be a reference to development because of the term "creative destruction" which appears in European folklore and economics.) By saying the development never changes, this is a veiled reference to a suspended production process.

Furthermore, in Skyrim, a time traveling dragon teaches you TIID KLO UL, the time-slowing shout which echoes the shouting of Jon (see, there's that name again) Irenicus in Baldur's Gate. The wiki entry for Irenicus says he, "was at one time the most powerful elven wizard of Suldanessellar." (emphasis added).

Consider the repeated motifs of "time" or clocks in all games. I think that clocks were an important part of "John"s oeuvre.

:discourse:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I don't find any of it dangerous or uncomfortable or whatever like some of you do, it's just godamned hilarious and crazy

it is funny and goons making lightly mocking it or criticizing it shouldn't be punished for it. i also don't think every effort post should be poo poo on and trolled into oblivion but sometimes something someone is posting is just stupid and insane lmao

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

This one's true tho

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

lmao

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ten years ago I would have laughed right along with you at the crazy people fart-huffing their way out of consensus reality.

Today I will still laugh along, just seasoned with the knowledge that there is a non-negligible chance they will wind up sucking in millions of people and conceivably engineering the downfall of western civilisation

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I kind of feel like once you post your video essay theorycrafting and present it as deep textual analysis it becomes fair game to tear it apart like that, since the whole point is that it can stand up to serious scrutiny and debate.

When you drop lines about mocking the cultural context of Japan, claiming the English translation is somehow superior(?), insulting other people who offer explanations, and make such tenuous comparisons as "sunflowers are proof of a connection" then there's something more going on then just getting mad about fictional games creators, it's far closer to some gangstalking poo poo. Deranged is a strong word but I would say that's definitely appropriate for that kind of talk.

What else do you call a person creating a "trail" of breadcrumbs and inventing a fictional person they talk about like a trans icon? At the same time they memory hole actual, real life people because it doesn't suit their agenda?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Identifying patterns among disparate sources that point at a supposed hidden truth, and recontextualizing those elements to support the notion, is conspiratorial thinking, and pointing out that that pattern of thought tends to suggest mental unwellness doesn't seem to me especially out of line, unless you're also going to chastise people for calling vaccine skeptics loons. One is vastly more harmful than the other but both are born out of the same impulse to strip a viewpoint of its context and replace it with one that flatters your own

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Someone had mentioned the self insert pokemon mystery dungeon thing as something to be mocked and different from that stupid dark souls LP.

It was weird yes but what came out later was the OP had used that LP as a coping mechanism because he had been diagnosed with something severe (cancer maybe?) or was very depressed. He wasn't banned for it and it wasn't a creepy LP, it was more sad and the OP was clearly in a bad place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think there comes a time in everyone's critical development where people begin to conflate "any text has the ability to be analyzed through a number of different rhetorical lenses" with "all readings of a text are equally sound, useful and valid." Those people should be forced to read undergraduate complit essays until they are cleansed from such disordered thinking.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

souls lore sucks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dongicus posted:

souls lore sucks

They call him Big Hat Logan because he wears a big hat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

exquisite tea posted:

Those people should be forced to read undergraduate complit essays until they are cleansed from such disordered thinking.

a harsh medicine indeed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dongicus posted:

souls lore sucks

Souls lore is fine, talking about Souls lore is a drag

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

christmas boots posted:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

christmas boots posted:

she's maneater mildred but you never see her eat a man

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

*weeping from reading Dung's item description* they should have called this game Prepare to Cry...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dongicus posted:

*weeping from reading Dung's item description* they should have called this game Prepare to Cry...

your supposed to throw the dung at phantoms not read the item description OP

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kild posted:

she's maneater mildred but you never see her eat a man

She's actually a big Hall & Oates fan.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the guy who makes the huge long youtube videos trying to make every piece of souls information deeply emotionally poignant sucks. im here for the real poo poo, like trying to figure out the height of the player characters bc they are so loving small

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fun hater posted:

the guy who makes the huge long youtube videos trying to make every piece of souls information deeply emotionally poignant sucks. im here for the real poo poo, like trying to figure out the height of the player characters bc they are so loving small

You’ll want Zullie the Witch then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahjVbGwxAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6G2yE0r-do

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fun hater posted:

Dark Souls is basically a beat-by-beat remake of The Hobbit so this tracks

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The key to anything being open to deep analysis is to have a 26 year old with half a medieval studies degree and a nice voice talk into a microphone for over 250 hours

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
But for real, (Snatcher spoilers) when Random Hajile says "Stupid old man, you never even learned how to love someone!", he says it because as someone who DID learn how to love (Gillian), he's sacrificing his life to save Gillian and Jamie. On the opposite end, Elijah sacrificed everyone else to try to force Jamie to be with him. Plus this is the SECOND time Random sacrificed himself for Gillian. Theres also the line where Random acknowledges that most of his memories are fake but the ones he made with Gillian are still real :3: Snatcher is gay as gently caress probably by accident but I still love it Random fuckin owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dongicus posted:

souls lore sucks

the lore being nonsense set dressing thaht isnt meant to make sense owns. its all the tvtropes game theorist guys that suck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Danaru posted:

But for real, (Snatcher spoilers) when Random Hajile says "Stupid old man, you never even learned how to love someone!", he says it because as someone who DID learn how to love (Gillian), he's sacrificing his life to save Gillian and Jamie. On the opposite end, Elijah sacrificed everyone else to try to force Jamie to be with him. Plus this is the SECOND time Random sacrificed himself for Gillian. Theres also the line where Random acknowledges that most of his memories are fake but the ones he made with Gillian are still real :3: Snatcher is gay as gently caress probably by accident but I still love it Random fuckin owns

See that is entirely more reasonable and supported by the text of the media than the secret creator figure

Also Kojima games have a lot of intentional and unintentional homoerociticism so it wouldn't even be that big of a stretch to read romance into their relationship

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember the Silent Hill wiki dev who fervently insisted the whole series was about the evils of circumcision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Remember the Silent Hill wiki dev who fervently insisted the whole series was about the evils of circumcision

I had forgotten about that but it's an incredibly apt comparison